1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I don't think he ever had an official name, but if you can reference that I'll change it.

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given that the Amazons are all considered low level Hero's I am guessing in crime universe they were an empire of woman that went around killing most men and raping those they didn't to reproduce that was overthrown by the actually virtuous Hercules and driven into the sea...

Is... Is... Paul really going to let her keep that?

Because we know for a fact he hasn't checked it's importance with the Guardians... And in a number of continuities the Star Sapphire is kind of a "Universal Cornerstone" that's needed for the universe to keep existing right...

3. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Which is probably why Earth-16's The Star Sapphire is most likely safely inside the Earth-16 Violet Central Power Battery, as opposed to a Star Sapphire having been the power stone that drove Carol Ferris-16 crazy.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Is just that I had the same reaction as Zatanna with the 'Whizzer' name. Here you go:

Cuchulin and Mr Zoat like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Thank you. I'll change the older one.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

While Zoat could certain write that since he's the author.

Paul never checked.

Which means as far as Paul knows he just gave away something that by no longer existing in his universe could royally screw over said universe.

7. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

That, uh, is not a good idea. Affirming her self-identity right now could be almost as toxic as overloading her with Violet energy.

Once she's in a healthier mindstate, though, having a Green Power Gauntlet that she can use either as a Power Ring or use in tandem with her magic.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Except Zoat is exceedingly unlikely to write his character knowingly doing something that would endanger the entire universe, since that is the exact opposite of what Orange Lantern would do.

So the most likely explanation is simply that you're wrong, and the Star Sapphire is not critically important to Earth-16, and Paul (having researched and worked with it more than a little) is reasonably certain of this.

9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

What about clothes? Or did OL give her something? Edit: Scratch that, I checked back, she was wearing armor.

I'm predicting: Man-hating warrior culture who failed in their bid to conquer Greece when Hercules booted them away (As Vaermina noted), and Ares sealed them on their island?

It's like a dog chasing a car. God knows what they'd do if they caught it ;)

And doesn't this just highlight OL's philosophy so well?

Yes, folks, that was actually a golden-age hero name. Largely because of the 'whizzing' noise he made when he ran.

Great high, but coming down from it is a bitch.

Yes, this whole world has a topsy-turvy morality. These are people living in a world where bad guys get ahead, and good people are their prey...

"I need to tell my Dad where I am. They're probably already looking for us."

So, Shadowcrest -14 has a taste for cliche.

She holds it for a moment and then pulls, the Sapphire coming free of the staff.

According to Google, a Peytral is a piece of horse armor... Perhaps a Gorget or Pixane?

Well, time for research! Which could pretty much consist of "Ring, local American history. Go."

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Orange Lantern has a history of failing to consider the long term consequences of his actions...

He quite literally got called out on it.

11. Mr Zoat

No further clothing, but she's not really wearing any less than a lot of superheroines are happy flying around in.
    No. If anything, they're actually more man-friendly than their Themyscira 16 sisters.
    Thank you, corrected.

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yes, I checked back after posting, didn't notice the mention of a gambeson. Which actually sounds conservative compared to the usual leotard, mini-dress or catsuit.

I noticed the lack of comment on Hercules kicking them out of Greece, or the gods' sealing them away. Is that accurate, then? I could see them being favoured by Ares given some versions of their history...

13. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

About bloody time you got onto the verification part.

14. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Being willing to interact with the opposite gender isn't the same as being friendly toward them. This is especially true when the default interaction, to the point where it's the primary objective of military operations, involves raping and murdering them.

15. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

No, there is no Violet Central Power Battery, the Star Sapphire they gave Carol was their
    equivalent of one. And it doesent look as if there are any other Star Sapphire crystals.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

There is a Slipstream in the comics anyway....

[​IMG]

They were never officially named a Crime Syndicate, but since they are evil versions of Fire, Ice, Flash, Green Arrow, Elongated Man, Metamorpho, and Blue Beetle, that's the common opinion, also Hal's in universe theory, but no one got around to actually asking them.

Their usual MO is rather different though, they do a protection racket. They cause disasters and then rescue the people who pay them for the privilege.

Norman the Doorman, a wannabe superhero whose ability is to summon up rifts to other universes, mistook them for actual superheroes, and summoned them to be Conglomerate members.

17. Lord Ernest

I did find those guy but precisely because they weren't explicitly, that I recall, mentioned as a Crime Syndicate I don't think they count that much. In fact, I don't think they ever showed up again?

18. EvenMaster80

EvenMaster80 Shredder of Opposition -x-

Probably should be: “Rood ot erehwemos esle."

Mr Zoat likes this.
  19. Buggy123

Setting aside the fact that, no, the Star Sapphire is almost certainly not critical to the existence of the universe, and OL is probably aware of such because he helped make the staff that it's been sitting in... and we have reasonable in-story clues for all of this...

You said:
    Which is untrue. OL would not casually destroy his universe.

Also, the person who called him out was/is focused on stalling the advancement of humanity and keeping them in a modern dark age, and as such OL is effectively his mortal enemy because he stands for the exact opposite of that.

Calling him out could easily have just been a attempt to instill doubt; IIRC, everything that OL insisted on double-checking afterwards was perfectly fine and all of his concerns were revealed to be unwarranted.

20. Mr Zoat

I put the...

[briefly froths at the mouth]

The Nu52 version as an example of an evil Themyscira. Themyscira -14 isn't actually like that.
    Thank you, corrected.

Drode, Alexandercctv, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  21. Buggy123

I wonder if the final plot twist is that OL is actually real, and he's writing a SI story about a universe that is boring, but everything makes sense.

Nu52 would be the equivalent of OL's name; something nigh-impossible for him to say. Maybe that's the continuity of the OL that decided to write him.

Alexandercctv, Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not that I'm aware.

I think that was retconned to be fake memories.

Because DC's method for "fixing things being too complicated" is to make things even more complicated. What could ever go wrong with that fool proof plan?

23. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Implying that everything makes sense in this universe.

My guess on the plot twist is... If you can fork an arbitrarily large number of Pauls for an arbitrarily large number of continuities, do you really need to remove the original from his native universe in order to do so?

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I am guessing you don't know the history of the Star Sapphire...

So here's the TLDR version... In some continuities it contains the dormant Predator... You know... The embodiment of Love... Who's removal from the universe would, over the next few months, cause love to fade away.

Finally, Orange Lantern is not an expert on Emotional Spectrum technology. And the one time he attempted to contact the only group who would have been able to confirm whether the dormant Predator was inside the Star Sapphire he got chased away by giant fuck off beams.

Old Knife and DAT_NOOB like this.
  25. Buggy123

You really, really need to stop bringing in every niche continuity from every corner of the DC verse as evidence. Zoat is using a very small selection of continuities, handpicking attributes from them, flat out writing his own continuity at some points, and ignoring or outright denying the existence of others.

The fact that some continuity does X has about as much bearing on the story as the weekly temperature forecast in Liberia.

That aside, OL is a empath, and from what we've seen of embodiments they tend to be a bit... energetic. When the Ophidian was sitting inside OL's ring, he had a few minutes until it violently exploded from the strain. Not to mention that you could tell just by looking at it that there was a energy field inside it, and that energy field was way bigger than anyone's head. And when the Ophidian took up residence in his lantern, it glowed intensely.

If the (primitive, compared to a power ring/lantern) Star Sapphire had the Predator in it, it'd be glowing up a storm as indicated by how embodiments and the storing thereof has been shown to work in ZOAT'S universe. Not to mention that, for a empath, it'd probably be a bit like staring into the sun. And also not to mention, that, while working to build a containment system to safely channel its energy, OL and (IIRC) Constantine probably would've noticed things like "Holy shit, this crystal has enough power in it to move planets!". And also also not to mention that OL is experienced enough with Emotional Spectrum technology to build his own (admittedly crude) lantern as a demonstration.

Just because you haven't appealed to the relevant authority does not mean you can't be reasonably sure of something. I'm fairly certain my computer doesn't have any plutonium in it, but hey, I haven't checked with a nuclear regulator, so how would I know? It could be filled with plutonium, even though I've opened it up a few times for maintenance and new parts. You never know!

26. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

There are a number of people talking about Wayne Enterprises, and how it's money can fix everything.

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/04/17/nearly-one-third-of-u-s-lottery-winners-declare-bankruptcy/

There is a lot of evidence that giving people money can, and often does, make things worse. Fixing lives takes fixing people, and our psychologists are not particualy good at that.

A thug remains a thug, even if they have millions, or superpowers. A gold digger? The same.

Money can help, a lot. But..... It's got to be spent right. Finding people who want to change, and giving them a chance, for example. I think the thinking required is more important than the resources, no matter how much.

However, a mega-corp in town means a lot of jobs, and that'll help quite a bit. Wayne Enterprises does it's bit, I'm sure.

27. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I noticed friend

28. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yes, but people were talking about things like fixing world hunger, and pointing out that Wayne not only has the money - but the resources as well. He CAN afford to give jobs at a temporary loss to third world countries in a way that improves their way of life and not makes it worse. He can also afford to defend the companies he makes from enemies in those countries. He can also afford to feed everyone there. Heck, he could probably find a way to make those countries self-sufficient as far as food goes.

Drode, Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Lord Ernest

Some Corrections Mr Zoat, although most of it are changes to American spelling.

American spelling is 'armor' and 'armored'.

American spelling is 'favorite' and 'realize'.

American spelling is 'civilization' and 'revolutionize'.

American spelling is 'realized'.

This should be: 'Made an impression on them as well'.

American spelling is 'armor'.

Missing letter here, so: 'putting his face in the perfect position'.

I'm not sure (nor can I remember right now) if Nabu and/or Mister Zatara speak American English, if they do then it should be 'recognizes', 'endeavor' (twice) and 'utilized'. If not, then disregard this.

Missing quotation mark at the end here.

Not sure, but I think this should have a question mark at the end?

I think this is missing a word, maybe 'You know some tiny part of our credo'?

Extraneous word, should be 'It wants to show you more'.

And this one is missing one, 'Oh love to some is like a cloud'. Unless Grayven was singing wrong in both these occasions.

American spelling is 'realize'.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  30. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

and he was stupid/crazy enough to take evidence that choice/free will was a thing (near-paralell universes based off diferent choices were a thing as well as more wildly divergent ones like the Antimatter universes- ect) meant that free will wasnt, and the only way to act on his own was to try to murder the endtire multiverse >.<

he was...kinda in that intersecting zone between being incredibly smart, and mind-numbingly dense, if you ask me....

... you also have a point with the Star Sapphire- it.. is kinda Cavileer giving it away to someone in another universe entirely IF he hasnt done his research first- it makes me think of .nevermind, potential spoiler for a recent movie >.<
    even if its not a FULL-on cosmic keystone/ on the level of an emotional power battery, its a pretty powerful artifact to give away so quickly/in a manner where getting it BACK could be...unweildy if a more urgant use comes up

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.