1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Taking down. Remember the 'you've got a future' line?

And no. Due to communication lag and the fact that Toyman 12 didn't come to public attention until he'd gone completely mental, Peter didn't recruit him.
    Because he doesn't really have anything to do with them. Plenty of technological uplift has occurred, but most of it doesn't relate to things the Justice League is involved with. In addition, Peter doesn't have access to anything like the database that the SI does.
    I don't have any plans to. But who knows?

2. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

That's what grieves me the most. Peter burned through his remaining ring charge so Alfred could play dumb with the planet in the balance.

I mean what was it? Bruce was told someone was calling his place personally on Batman related business during a global crisis but decided to leave that one the back burner so he and the League could face punch the problem away?

I mean in the context, Peter calling Wayne Manor was a lot of red flags. Peter implying or outright stating he had access to a nuke and could or thought he could deploy it against a hard target controlled by aliens.

Peter also knowing Bruce was Batman, yet in the months after the end of the Thanagarian incident, Bruce seemingly had no attack coming from nowhere targeting his civilian identity relating to Batman.

Bruce only following up on this after the League had run ins with AU versions of Peter. I mean Batman found out pretty quick on Peter's citizenship paperwork the parallel universe box was checked. Hopefully the League will be more on point regarding parallel universe things in the future.

I just really don't know what was gained by this encounter. Batman was doing his thing of kind of ignoring Peter's questions to rattle off Peter's information to... take control of the conversation? Which didn't really go as Peter didn't seem that intimidated.

Then questioning Peter on employing supervillains, 2 bugs out of 80 successes is great. And one was probably Lex fucking with him. And Peter's connection with his employees is enough they stopped the threats against Peter. Endangering a good boss who is not a corporate backstabber? That's a beating right there.

It's just Batman could have gotten more information I think by looking into Peter's employment roster. How many were former villains who went straight? How many were scientists or inventors that could have been villains but were intercepted before that point?

Also Peter has employed some Thanagarians left behind from the blow up Earth incident. I mean even if they're not super geniuses they know alien science or theories or tech. They are valuable in their way. Has any other Earth-12 company or organization scooped up the stray Thanagarians?

I would like to see Hawkgirl's reaction to the Earth-12 version of the Lantern that kicked her ass offering to Batman to nuke her fellow Thanagarians full stop when they were working against the Earth.

EDIT: Peter is on the right track. I know this because Peter was given presumably a Starman grade cosmic rod as a gift for personal protection, fully loaded, force field on button three.

Think about that. 9 years ago in 1996 Peter was told full stop the cosmic rod was not for sale. How positive was the relationship between Peter and the Knights and Ted Knight to have that level of trust? To give Theodore Knight's business partner, not a fellow hero, not a family member, another cosmic rod solely for Peter's protection?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  3. Mr Zoat

Not as many as you would think. It's not that hard to work out what sort of person Batman is likely to be. People have guessed Bruce Wayne before. And people have prank called the Manor before.

4. hance1986

In the middle of a global crisis Wayne Manor has been prank called? I mean a caller being as specific as Peter would have been and saying he had access to a nuke ready to use against aliens would have been more serious than someone calling Alfred to speak to I.C. Weiner.

5. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Since a lot of people seemed confused about the multiversal storyline here is cheat sheet that is completely original and not based on anything else.

Peter lands on Earth 12 during Batman TAS.
    Superman TAS and the first season of JLU happens

Then the Justice Lords from Earth 50 come in Earth 12 in: Multi-verse Face Punching Episode 1: The Phantom Punch
    A few months later the Pauls land on various uninverses with various Rings, including on Earth 16 and Earth -14 (Baul)
    Note: For simplicity in the explanation I will consider Earth 16 to be OL and Earth 16* to be Grayven.

A few months later (after Baul has spent some time in the Syndicate) Luthor tries to stop Owlman from blowing up all of reality and out of nowhere he finds these clone-like variants of the Management to help him in the Decapitation in... Multi-verse Face Punching Episode 2: Attack of the Punchers

A few months later Baul's planet is a mess so he comes to Paul in Earth 16 for help... (even though he is a villain) in Multi-verse Face Punching Episode 3: Revenge of the Punched

A few months after that, Thanagarians attack Earths 12 and Earth 50 in the JLU S2 finale.
    In Earth 12 the canon JLU story happens, but with Peter figuring out what is happening and calling Alfred to offer to nuke the Thanagarian facility.
    Note: In the previous episodes Peter probably didn't even notice anything happening.

However Earth 50 (the Justice Lords) had no way to deal with them so they asked help from Earth 16*'s Grayven so we had the sidestory: Grayven: A Multi-verse Face Punching Story

Fast forward a few more months to today, JL 12 is asked once again to help Earth -14 in Multi-verse Face Punching Episode 4: A New Punch
    In the end we have a temporary peace and the reason for that is the actions taken in the side-story set immediately before episode 4 by Paul of Earth 16 in Orange One: A Multi-verse Face Punching Story

I should note that I made the above with the implication that Grayven and Paul's universes are part of the same multiverse.
    If not, then in the equivalent of main storyline's Grayven, Lord Batman might summon someone else and in any case the end result is something between the planet exploding, SHADE using anti-life on the planet, or the 'heroes' winning.
    Similarly in Grayven's side if Orange One and Revenge of the Punched don't happen, then Earth -14 is left in a state that is something between post-apocalyptic and a USA that's a police state by Wilson after exterminating the Syndicate (and possibly continuing for the rest of the world)

6. Mr Zoat

Thank you. That's all much clearer now.

7. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I like the nod to the original title of "Return of the Jedi" being "Revenge of the Jedi". Very nice.

8. hance1986

Could you give kind of a rundown on what is different? What kind of differences there are due to the uplift? The people Peter recruited, has that seen a shift in the rogues gallery lineup for various Earth 12 heroes, or were there just some absences meaning there are not so many bad guys to fight?

What interests me is the one 'employee' that turned on Peter that was probably a LexCorp plant. What does that mean? Lex sent her to fuck with Paul because Lex just hobbles any competition? Because Peter was gaining traction and LexCorp's market share was dwindling? Lex wanted his agent to kill or permanently disable Peter so Lex could do a hostile takeover and strip all Peter's company assets or something?

9. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

uumm what, we haven't reached episode 6 and it's Revenge of the Sitho_O:confused:

eeee, I mean what is this Jedi thing you are talking about :rolleyes:

Ardy likes this.
  10. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Also a little disappointed by how abrupt the meeting with Batman was, but the main thing I'm curious about is Cheetah still looking like Cheetah.

With Paul's resources allowing her to go legit instead of using crime to fund her research, and splicing generally being reversible, I'm honestly surprised they haven't already restored her human form. Even without using a power ring.

Maybe keep the ear and the tail to drive all the weebs mad with envy.

11. Mr Zoat

There were probably some background fights that didn't happen, but most of the ones you saw on-screen did.
    Peter doesn't know. After Luther went on the run a few of his employees indicated that they wouldn't be totally averse to hunting him down and 'finding out'. He asked them not to.
    Genetics aren't anything like as easy as animated series make them look. With Barbara, she's only recently become sure what it even was she did that made it go wrong.
    She worked an anime convention once. Never again.

On another topic: American readers. If the President nominates a sitting Senator to a cabinet position, what happens to their seat in the Senate? Is there a by-election, is someone nominated to sub in for them or are they expected to do both jobs?

12. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

As an autistic, I really hate that term. Even if it was made up by other autistics. It’s pointlessly elitist in a way that makes no damn sense.
    I’m not quite sure. I think that there’s an election to have someone fill the spot for the remainder of the term, but I’ll have to look it up.

Gantradies, Buggy123 and Cuchulin like this.
  13. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Eh. I mean the terminology fits. A standard model of the human brain. Though I will admit it sounds a little douchey now that i think about it.

14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

No, it was a metahuman ability that awoke during that ordeal. IMO it's more likely that it was merging with an Embodiment that was the trigger, not the enlightenment itself.

That said, colored text has nothing to do with the main character SEEING the emotion. It was used long before that power showed up.

As far as I can tell, they have to do both jobs. The President doesn't have the power to remove someone from the Senate, especially not against the wishes of the senator's electorate as expressed by the regularly-scheduled winning vote. The Senator in question might turn down the appointment if they didn't think they could do a good job of serving both positions. The Senate might choose to reject the appointment if they see a potential conflict of interest. But beyond that, I see no concrete reason why one COULDN'T.

The Vice President is an example of someone who acts as both a member of the Senate and as a member of the Cabinet. (Though to be fair a VP doesn't have the powers of a standard senator and is required to delegate the responsibility of presiding over the senate to an elected senator when he's not present.)

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

I would be surprised that none of the justice league ended up with Starman tech, but then I remembered that earth 18 JL had been fighting the good fight for like a decade without substantial integration of supervillain tech, or even the super tech of the rest of the heroes.
    I'm also a bit surprised that Paul 12 has seemingly totally failed at finding any magic contacts whatsoever. I mean, even considering that Hellblazer takes place in the densest region of magic users in the world, it definitely seems to point towards there being a sufficient quantity that he'd be able to find them, if he was doing as massive project like this.

16. Mr Zoat

Purely in the interest of finding out how American elections work, and without wanting to comment on the policies of the individuals involved.

Mike Pompeo resigned from the Senate to become CIA Director, which triggered a special election. The special election was contested by other parties.
    Yeah, I don't think that's the case on Earth 12. If Morgana le Fay had tried that shit in Hellblazer, Map would have had her guts for starters.

17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Ah. Well, yes, I suppose voluntarily resigning from the position is also an option. I don't see it being a mandatory thing, but on the other hand I do see it being a reasonable expectation that could cause the Senate to refuse to confirm the appointment if the nominee in question doesn't.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  18. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

Paul know perfectly well how dangerous an orange ring can be and has been immune to it since a while ago (and actually teach his orange lanterns how to control their greed so they don’t go totally crazy) , since they are both the same person then the only reason Peter didn’t use his orange ring is because he landed way earlier in the dc comics timeline and either Alan Scott was still using his lantern or wasn’t around in the first place (don’t know know much about earth 12) and his limited charge ring mean he rarely used it and so clearly saw it effect on his mind when he toke it off and put it on again.

19. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

I really enjoy this, I wonder what their union rep would negotiate for?

"Look, Peter I understand where you're coming from but Isley is holding out until we're carbon netural, and Snart says the strike holds til you give up the name of Mister Element."

20. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

Ardy and darlene'sdarling like this.
  21. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Custom (maybe law?) is that the Senator will resign. This actually happens with some frequency, and the Senators always resign.

It does trigger a by-election... but not immediately. The election happens on a schedule according to the laws of the state the Senator comes from, and in the meantime a temporary Senator is appointed by the Governor of the state. The Senator serves until the by-election, which in some cases can be a long time... months or more.

This has occasionally had political significance, as the state Governor may not be from the political party of the resigning Senator and is free to appoint a Senator from his own political party instead! It can potentially alter the balance of power in the Senate.

Drode, Simonbob, TheEyes and 2 others like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

He did rejuvenate himself. However, he hasn't put the ring on for a while and gave his actual age on his Extraordinary Visa form.

23. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Why did they believe him? Wouldn't they have suspected that he was a teenager trying to pass himself of as an adult? I mean as far as we know he looks to be in his mid teens.

DrThoth likes this.
  24. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well Depending on how much events followed the comics Peter may well have either saved David, Fixed Teds cancer or Saved Ted and opal city from old man Mist's plot to nuke the city.

Yes Harley what can I do for you?

Boss we got a big problem!

Your Ex is here again?

Worse, We're out of Coffee!

Grundy want Coffee!

Aw Crud.

25. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Quoting myself to add something that may be of interest to Mr Zoat since he's writing a work of fiction.

The bit about a Governor being able to appoint a temporary Senator is actually a plot device used in American media. Since the Governor can appoint anyone they want, as long as they are an American citizen and sufficient age, this scenario can be used to catapult unlikely figures into the middle of the halls of power even if they have no political experience and have never stood in an election. It was most famously used in the movie "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" but has been used now and then in other media. While Paul/Grayven could not likely themselves become Senators due to age/citizenship issues, there's always the chance of someone in their entourage being appointed for Reasons.

Drode, Vorian, Buggy123 and 6 others like this.
  26. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

There isn't an actual explicit law that would require them to resign, but maintaining both posts would be unconstitutional due to the seperation of powers between the executive and legislative branches.

You would have to resign, and your seat would either go vacant or an election would be held, depending on the state.

Edit: The 17th ammendment provides for senators by appointment, but that happens based off state law. Sorry for the confusion, my state requires special election or for the seat to be vacant if the normal election cycle would happen before one could be held.

Drode, Ardy, Cuchulin and 1 other person like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Sir Percival wasn't taking it entirely seriously. And he might just look young.

28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

There are a few heroes and supervillains that look younger than their real age. Earth 12 definitely has at least two supervillains that don't look their age.

And while Vandal Savage is relatively unknown in Earth 12, the Demon Head is know in the middle East, even if most people must think it is just different people pretending to be the same guy over time.

Vorian and DrThoth like this.
  29. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Not quite, as I remember that actually happened in Massachusetts after Tedd Kennady died and more than a hundred years US Senators weren't elected but appointed by state governments. So in theory something like "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" could happen.

30. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

I think that the life entity being on earth has something to do with humans ability to reproduce with aliens,gods, demons and anything else. life uh.. life finds a way.