AverusBlack
AKA Aisling
- Joined
- Jan 26, 2019
- Messages
- 642
- Likes received
- 7,930
Apropos of anything else happening in the story at this moment, I just want to say that I really like what is happening here. People don't like thinking about disabilities. The people who have to live with them, it's like being a footnote to the rest of a world designed around everyone but you. Accommodations are put into place... sometimes. Certainly it's not easy to live with.
Stories that shine a light on the challenges faced by those people inspire others to tackle those issues. Specifically, I'm thinking of a fellow I spoke to a few months back who is in the midst of designing a facial recognition system to allow a webcam to act as a game controller for paralyzed individuals. No fancy hardware set up, just software and a basic camera. It's not that hard to work out where he got the idea - vtubers using the same technology to control virtual models and give them body language.
So even though the eye drive is probably just a stepping stone to the actual point of this story arc, I like that it was brought up and re-included. We're making good progress in terms of medical research for Alzheimers specifically right now, but I can't say I'd have argued one being handed to me when I got knocked over the head a couple decades ago.
Long story.
Stories that shine a light on the challenges faced by those people inspire others to tackle those issues. Specifically, I'm thinking of a fellow I spoke to a few months back who is in the midst of designing a facial recognition system to allow a webcam to act as a game controller for paralyzed individuals. No fancy hardware set up, just software and a basic camera. It's not that hard to work out where he got the idea - vtubers using the same technology to control virtual models and give them body language.
So even though the eye drive is probably just a stepping stone to the actual point of this story arc, I like that it was brought up and re-included. We're making good progress in terms of medical research for Alzheimers specifically right now, but I can't say I'd have argued one being handed to me when I got knocked over the head a couple decades ago.
Long story.