1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

[​IMG]

While Blake did drink coffee while on Earth, he doesn't really have time to manage a cafe.

Yes? I don't understand the point you're trying to make. He said that they aren't interdicting it. They aren't interdicting it. They don't think there's any point as Blake is the only one using it.

Drode, Ardy, Bramble Thorn and 13 others like this.
  2. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

What, a cup that tells you the temperature of your coffee?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

We are rounding it off differently. My brain says "Blake is getting interdicted becuase they can't, since doing so requires an FTL telekinetic, even though he said that it is since he is the only one who uses one". I assume that you are rounding it off to "He said it wasn't interdicted, it wasn't interdicted", or perhaps to "Even if they could, they might not bother, since there isn't any reason to expect an enemy with that FTL method".

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  4. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

A Thinking Cap would be useful. A Thinking Cup might also be applied to the body part most men think with? :eek:

5. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

...I have NO idea what you're trying to get at here.

The fact is:
    -Telekine FTL is not being interdicted.
    -It is not being interdicted because the only user of telekine FTL in the sector is Captain Comet, a friendly.

Whether or not Cap would have to plug himself into the interdictor device is an entirely irrelevant tangent, because they're not interdicting it, have no plans to interdict it, and have no reason whatsoever to interdict it.

6. Threadmarks: Jiggity-Jig (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

8th February
    13:55 GMT

A crowd is gathering around the main entrance to the palace as King Myand'r and Queen Luand'r proceed out, looking up as-.

The supplicant goes to the one in the position of power. They're about to fly up to me, and that won't do at all. Instead, I transition down onto the step a short distance in front of them and bow. Not a full ninety degree job, that would probably be a bit much. But fifty degrees is fine for a national hero and senior Lantern when faced with the local monarchs.

"Your majesties."

I can hear a murmur from the crowd as Luand'r puts her right hand on my right shoulder.

"Orange Lantern, you have no need to abase yourself before us."

I straighten, smiling. Since I'm a few steps down from them, my head is slightly below theirs. I'm not exactly sure how that looks to Tamaraneans, but humanoids tend to think about body language in fairly similar ways.

"Thank you, your majesty. As I approached the planet I was able to admire the work which the Tamaranean people have done since I left. I'm pleased that you've been able to take full advantage of the opportunity presented to you."

"If not for you then we would still be under the Citadel's boot heel. All that we have been able to build, we owe to you."

I shake my head. "Perhaps that you can build it now, but I do not believe for a moment that the people of Tamaran would have been in such a situation forever. You would have freed yourselves eventually. I just sped it up so that we could all get on with our lives." I look up and beckon Lantern Xor to join us. He floats down, stopping a pace back from me. Stopping in the air; his feet are far too large to fit on these steps. "This is Lantern Xor, my new ex-student. He's desperate to learn what an honourable ruler looks like. Would you mind him shadowing you for a few days so that he can find out?"

Myand'r blinks, his head tilted slightly to the side. Then he nods definitively. "Yes, of course. We would be delighted to show him how Tamaran is governed."

Glancing at me, Xor brings his fists together in front of his chest. "Thank you. I relish the opportunity."

Luand'r steps aside and gestures to the doorway. "Please, come inside. We have a great deal to talk about."

I walk up the steps separating us, Xor landing as I reach the top. "Thank you."

The two of us follow them inside, Komand'r and Blake flying off to return to whatever they were doing before we arrived. Curious that Myand'r and Luand'r aren't flying. But I suppose that the ground level of the palace is designed for foot traffic more than the upper parts.

"I appreciate your renewed efforts to boost our standing." Myand'r tilts his head towards me as he speaks. "But that was a bit much."

"How so?"

"You made it look like we were insulting you by demanding your deference, despite everything you've done for us. That might not be so bad were we in a stronger position, but as things stand it made us look undeservedly proud and arrogant."

"Oh. Ah, sorry. I can publically hit you in the face with a custard pie later if that would make up for it."

"What?"

"It's a form of comedic humiliation from Earth. The target looks a little stupid, but it's generally considered to be a minor embarrassment that a reasonable person should laugh off and so demonstrate that they aren't hidebound."

"Unfortunately, no such ritual exists on Tamaran. I would worry that people might think that you were genuinely attacking me."

"Alright, what sort of things do Tamaranean aristocrats who are on good terms with one another do together?"

"Trade on favourable terms with one another. Encourage their children to marry-. Though I do remember that you do not look kindly on that practice."

"No. Also, it will be at least five years before I have children."

"I hadn't realised that there were any humanoid species with so long a gestation period. Or are humans only infrequently fertile?"

"My girlfriend and I are participating in NEMO's war with the Reach. Given our roles, it's not really going to be practical for us to have children for at least that long."

Luand'r starts slightly. "Practical? I knew from Adam that humans are not as given to indulging their passions as we are, but really."

"Jade needs an opportunity to establish a professional role for herself. Much as I'd like to spend more time with her, this is the best for our relationship in the long term."

Myand'r shakes his head. "I'm sure you know more about human courtship than I do. Having other Orange Lanterns here would be a reasonable alternative; a sign of your personal investment in our freedom."

"Lantern Mother of Mercy is available, but she's not exactly social."

"If I invite her to spend some time in the palace, she can leave at the end of the span without either of us being embarrassed."

"Lantern Mother of Mercy covers the entire surface of a planet. You'd have to expand the palace quite a bit for her to fit."

"A planet?" I nod. "Could Lantern Xor stay?"

"No." Xor shakes his head firmly. "It will take a few days for my comrades to fly back to Alignment space. It would be dishonourable for me to abandon the fight after taking it up."

Hm. "What else does Tamaran need?"

"Teachers and electronics engineers, those are the areas where we are most in need. We managed to maintain… Reasonable records of our medical advances, and the thanagarians have been happy to help us build examples of our more sophisticated equipment. But truly becoming as advanced as we were in our prime requires our knowledge to spread more rapidly than we can make happen with our limited pool of educated people."

I can't think of anyone in DC who had that sort of passion for teaching.

I nod. "I'll see what I can do."

Myand'r sighs. "But giving us more things won't serve the same purpose as a proxy would. It simply makes us more obliged to you."

Right. What has Tamaran got that people on Earth-

We walk past a corridor. Glancing down it I see a group of athletic Tamaraneans in the traditional clothing of underwear and tassels.

-want-.

In the privacy of my own head, I wince at the obvious association. Something else, something-.

"There are a couple of projects you could help me with."

"Oh?"

"Last year I talked one of Earth's more isolationist communities into sending a theatre troupe outside their country on a tour. Aside from an unfortunate event during their first performance, it went rather well. I'd quite like to do an exhibition on Tamaranean culture and history, give the people of Earth a look at what's going on off their world. I'm afraid that it probably won't lead to any new trading opportunities; the distance is just too great."

"I'm sure that we can put something together. Do you benefit in some way from such an exhibit?"

"I own a company which is making a role play game based on recent Vega history. A group of aliens visiting would be an amazing piece of advertising."

"Role play game? I understand the words, but I suspect that you are referring to a specific artefact."

"Ah, how to explain it..?"

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  7. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

I am fairly sure you understood the intent of what I was writing, that being the question of whether Blake would benefit from having a telekinesis granting and potentially enhancing machine. Same with psionic boosters Paul has on file, and has given to Miss Martian.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Ha!

Oh man, that was a good joke.

9. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Advanced needs to be advances.

10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Deferential, but...

...Hardly necessary.

'New ex-student' sounds kind of awkward, but easy enough to understand...

Then he nods definitively.

Probably a respectfulness thing. Their guests aren't flying, so they stay grounded too.

Heh, even when he thinks about it, he can still mess up.

Plus, no children.

Oh, there's plenty of indulging possible...

And you don't want to leave your girlfriend alone either... :D

There's got to be some Orange Lanterns interesting in teaching.

Oh my. [/Takei]

Unfortunate event, he calls it... :p

'Role Play Game' is bit awkaward, but...

...I suppose Tamaranean culture was never much for video gaming anyway.

Hehehe.

Hmm... A possible idea for the episode plot, but I doubt a troupe could be assembled too quickly...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  11. Mr Zoat

Maybe. Blake's brain is rather different to that of a standard human and he might well find the Cap confusing to work with. On the other hand there probably are boosters that the SI knows about that he could benefit from.
    Thank you, corrected.

c3qo, infinityDivided, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Perhaps I am remembering wrong, but weren't there quite a few Tamarianian OLs? Couldn't he just ask for their direct support by a few spare Lanterns as a "trading good"?

13. liger0

liger0 Getting out there.

That's in Renegade/Grayven where he got started in Vega a little late after getting hit with part of the Anti-Life Equation by Darkseid.

Vorian, Ardy, OrigamiPhoenix and 3 others like this.
  14. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

I thought of this yesterday but forgot to mention it but since Paul knows about the nature of Souls and what happens to a soul just left floating in space attached to its dead body did he change the protocol that the Green Lantern's have of abandoning the body of their Lantern to go search for replacement and have it first tug the dead body of an orange lantern to a planet where life is were presumably whichever Supernatural influences reign can take care of the soul of the dead Lantern?

15. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

you lives
    Who handed paul the idiot ball? Just hire genomorphs.

Bramble Thorn, Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Renegade OL has been a bit more hands-on in Vega, and seems to be building up the Orange Lantern Corps on Tamaran, whereas Paragon OL is building it up on Maltus and is casting his recruiting nets farther afield.

17. Doc Sithicus

Doc Sithicus Not too sore, are you?

Did Paul bought out Games Workshop?

w34v3r and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Don’t think so? “Vega System” is apparently planned as an indie big budget video game RPG and games workshop is good enough by itself. It’s not really struggling. He just gave them his rule set that he made while possessed by the Ophidian.
    Now imagine that going into the actual lore of 40k (the manual being created by something like a chaos god).

Really the main problems might come from having too many differing visions of what the game should be.

19. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

To be fair, the statement is literally correct, ParaPaul is just vague on applying it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Why do I suspect they'll become like the fae?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  21. Mr Zoat

No, that's correct as-is.
    No. He didn't buy it out either.
    In what sense?

Also, ThrawnCA wrote an omake here.

22. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I'll be disappointed if Paul's explanation of role playing games doesn't include handing out dice and a character sheets.

23. dreaddragonking

dreaddragonking Getting out there.

And upon that day Tamaran became obsessed with DnD and similar games

Prince Charon and Gilhelmi like this.
  24. Vlad

Vlad I trust you know where the happy button is?

Create Dolmen Gates between Tamaran and Earth. I know you want to.

You can fix the reduced magic needed for the gates on Tamaran or find a different mode of instant gate transportation.

Cuchulin and ashadowalker like this.
  25. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Genomorphs are a possible solution, but it's easy to suggest them without thinking about possible complications:

1. Do Genomorphs know everything the Tamaranians need to be taught? If not, the Genomorphs will need to spend some time learning first.

2. Do the Genomorphs still have problems with knowledge integration?

3. Genomorphs can't leave Earth without being separated from their gestalt.

*glances at Vlad*

And Dolmen gates don't have infinite range. So the Tamaranians would have to come to Earth, and living arrangements would have to be made for at least thousands of them if they being taught in batches.

4. How many Genomorphs does Cadmus have to spare for teaching the Tamaranians? Grayven has already tried using Genomorphs to teach them, and apparently there aren't enough g-gnomes to do a fast enough job.

5. What would the Genomorphs want from the Tamaranians in return?

26. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I don't think that Tamaran is a high magic world.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Mr Zoat

I've only ever actually played D&D once, and I wasn't really all that impressed. He's mostly going to be talking about computer-based systems, so Morrowind is more likely to come up.

Or something a little stranger.

Ardy, Drode, Bramble Thorn and 5 others like this.
  28. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

You know what absolute monarchs would love? Paranoia, the rpg where you’re not allowed to know the rules.

(That was meant to be sarcasm, to be clear).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  29. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Correction: The RPG where letting anyone know you know the rules, or letting anyone know that you know that someone knows that the Computer knows the rules for that matter, leads to summary execution for conspiracy. But only if the executioner is in on a conspiracy to kill all conspirators.

Seriously though if you can get through a session of Paranoia without laughing your ass off you should probably think about having the stick surgically removed.

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

D&D is a game system not a game itself.

So if you had a bad time that's on whoever was your GM and whoever you played it with not on the system.

Obliviated fan and Prince Charon like this.