1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: Jiggity-Jig (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

8th February
    19:14 GMT

The gordanian militia on the ground keep nervously glancing up at me as they help the injured from the beached boats. They appear to be pulling out, an en-masse evacuation of the regions under the karnan fleet's guns. Which is sensible, but…

Where are they going to go?

The gordanian fleet -such as it is- could in theory send transports to ferry them over to Gordane, but that would put them within range of the karnan fleet's guns. And while the karnans might not want to risk leaving their positions to fire on a heat source they don't think is karnan, actual ships would be far more inviting targets. Gordanians have ocean-going ships, but most large-scale travel and trade was done by aircraft rather than sea vessels. And there's certainly no tunnels under the water or bridges across it. And… It's not as if the karnan fleet isn't going to go after the slave-operated fisheries and mines on that part of the coastline once they've finished with the interior.

I could fly them over.

I could

There are karnans on Gordane, but many fewer of them than there are here. Gordanians as a whole stuck pretty much all their heavy industry on their own home continent, but there is still plenty of manual labour they wanted karnans for. The clans…

I hadn't really thought about it, but clans like Gizzard Spiker and Tearing Bite didn't have much of a presence on Karettah. They just weren't that interested in agriculture or light industry. The clans who do-. Who did, are mostly clans who tend to avoid attacking anyone else. Yes, they owned karnan slaves, but that's more because karnans were the ones who were available rather than any sort of 'us versus them' mentality.

I frown as I look down at the militia members below me. Who are they from? Clans usually have their own command structures, but in emergency situations like this irregulars tend to rally around whoever looks like they know what they're doing. That's… Stone Turner, Dirt Eater, Meat Barter, Blunt Claw… All the clans my most recent map say had a presence in this region. This evacuation must have started when the karnan ships first arrived, for some of them to get this far. Not completely sure who's in charge.

One way to find out.

I drift down, provoking some nervous backing up. The four closest militia members drift towards one another, though none of them go for their weapons.

"Who is in charge here?"

Three sets of eyes jerk towards the fourth member of the cluster, while he turns to look for someone he can offload me onto. I can see the same fears on his surface as I see in everyone else, but they're more… Bound up in the tasks he's performing right now. Gordanians don't have a standard uniform, but based on his equipment and decoration I'd guess that he's a non-commissioned officer. Or just a veteran.

"Looks like you didn't step backwards fast enough."

"Story of my life. What does the Orange Lantern want with us?"

"I'd like to know where you're going?"

"You and me both." He flicks his tail. "The rest of you, go find something to do."

The three of them walk away to help offload the boats, and the non-com comes a little closer to me.

"All the heavy forts on this continent came under bombardment as soon as the karnans secured their position in orbit. And even if we could get to them, they can't survive that forever. Can't hide in the mines, can't hide in the woods. The karnans might accept our surrender once they've got the bloodlust out of their systems but that doesn't do us any good right now. Best chance we've got is to head as far away from their ships as we can and hope that someone's feeling generous."

"No one higher up in your clan-" Air hisses through his teeth. "-is organising things?"

"How? What's left of the gordanian fleet's over the horizon." I shake my head. "We use our ships as communication relays. Karnans are disrupting everything else. Without the ships, we've got no way to talk to anyone."

"Ocean ships?"

"If the karnans haven't grabbed them or sunk them, there won't be enough and we'd be easy targets on the journey." He looks away, his eyes turning up-river towards the karnan-held area. "Never thought I'd see this."

"Your reversal of fortunes?"

"Yeah. Karnans doing to us what our great grandparents did to theirs. Always just thought that things would carry on like they had." He snorts. "You got any use for a few hundred gordanian slaves?"

"Excuse me?"

"If it was just me, I'd try fighting them guerrilla style. See how much time I could buy. But it's not. My clan mates, my family are-" He looks at the refugee… It's not precise enough to be a column, and the terrain is too broken anyway. Stream? Swarm? "-back there, and I'd rather they survive as slaves than get killed. The karnans gave up shooting once you showed up, so they don't want to fight you. How about it?"

Hm. Tamaran could use additional agricultural workers, even with the thanagarian-Alstairian druids they've got helping them with that now. Not sure that they'd accept gordanians, even if they're not from clans that had any dealings with them before. This is… Far too many for the small colony Zaark has set up. Most other places I could send them are either too far away or not.. really appropriate.

"Do you think that your clan superiors would agree to an exchange? Karnans in their territory for gordanians here?"

"Ah. Some might. Mine would, but with this sort of war going on things are going to be getting run by a Grand Council, and… The Gizzard Spikers won't."

"And if I present them with a fait accompli?"

"What, you just show up with us and start making demands?" I nod. "Nothing helpful."

"It's your peoples' lives. Any time you want to suggest something, go ahead."

"There's nothing to say. No peace to be had. I guess you could trade us quietly, but you… Stand out."

As I suspected, but it's useful to have confirmation.

"No chance of a negotiated settlement?"

"Not that I can see."

Except… I'm an enlightened Lantern. Altering the desires of the people around me is simple. Doing it subtly is a little more difficult, but still well within my abilities.

Ah.

Pren's a telepath and Kalista is a magician. They've both got as yet unquantified ways to detect me trying something like that. Still, I'd rather this didn't turn into a slaughter and it's not as if trying risks anything significant.

"I'd like to try persuading the grand council to be reasonable. Could you find me a couple of your people who could act as witnesses?"

"Sure. May as well save two. Even if it's only for a few days."

"Why would it only be a few days?"

"There's no help coming. We killed ourselves, made the karnans' lives easier. No Citadel to back us up. Branx got their own problems, and we can't afford to hire anyone else. Any gordanian ship that isn't here has given up on keeping hold of this planet. Karnans are unified, full of hate, and their ships are all warships. Even if you did a swap, the karnans will go after Gordane before too long. They have to. And then, that's it."

"You think they'll exterminate you?"

"I think they'll kill enough that there won't be much difference. And if all of the karnans living in Gordane get evacuated, they'll have even less reason to try anything else."

"That's not usual for Vega, is it? The Citadel didn't do that to the Tamaraneans."

"This fleet came from outside of Vega. Maybe they learned something new." He turns away from me. "Come with me. I'll find you some 'reliable witnesses'."

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  2. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well that's just unpleasant.

Cockus Blockamus likes this.
  3. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's almost like one guy can't solve generations of slavery and war by himself in a way that makes everybody happy.

4. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Yeah. This was right nasty. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Needs a possessive apostrophe?

No way out. Either the gordanians fight to the death, or they prevail on someone to help them leave.

I'm not sure they do either, OL...

I'm guessing word hasn't spread that there's more than one, even with the Princesses around.

I'm guessing there is no-one higher-up, in some cases.

Better enslaved than dead, eh?

And you don't really want to do anything significant to help anyway...

Ugh, warhawks. And not the thanagarian kind...

Kinda hard not to, between the orange glow and the reputation.

I sense a 'But...'

Good luck reining in vengeance-fueled madness.

He's already talking about himself in the past tense? Not much hope left, I suppose.

No collateral damage to concern themselves with...

Messier and messier. My comparison to 80's Afghanistan gets more accurate every chapter...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  6. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I mean, he's still close to Ophidi-chan. "Mind control a entire star cluster and get them to stop killing eachother" is still technically on the table.

7. TheDudeMan400

TheDudeMan400 Getting out there.

It's just a matter if Paul wants to or not.

Razorfloss, Istaran, Nioz and 4 others like this.
  8. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Given just about every single thing I've ever read about the Gordanians . . . You'll have to forgive me if I don't sympathize with them in the slightest.

9. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is going strange places.

Obliviated fan likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Getting similar vibes to what happened on Earth -14 here. No outcome is good, so go with the least bad.

I know Komand'r hates Ryand'r, but does Koriand'r hate him too?

12. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I've heard that ironically the old "an eye for an eye" thing (which I THINK comes from the code of Hammurabi) was made law to prevent WORSE retribution.

13. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hm. Paul can still call upon his entire Corps.

Can't he ask for a few dozen Lanterns for a short term operation to ferry the Gordanians somewhere else?

And then manufacture them basic survival equipment?

Prince Charon likes this.
  14. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

But in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

15. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

In the land of the blind the one eyed man would be derided for making up crazy stories about "light" and "color."

16. alid610

alid610 Light of the Revolution

The one eyed man just so happens to have two ravens and is apparantly odin.

17. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

By those guys who died under mysterious circumstances while nobody else was looking?

Bramble Thorn, Vorian, mauke and 5 others like this.
  18. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I wonder if Teth Adom has any experience negotiating ceasefires. We know he's dismantled at least one government so reorganizing this chaotic restructuring could actually work out. Based on the comments I've seen nobody here trusts the Gordanians to look after themselves.

Y'know there is a schizotech supercomputer called a Motherbox that could handle the trustworthy requirement for a responsible government. It'd likely have more philosophical and sociological lessons than the rest of this pre-sci-fi setting too. And it isn't a city-sized supercomputer, but all New God tech probably rivals such a category. Am I missing any reason these devices wouldn't be passable interim dictators?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  19. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I mean, then you just get a Justice League made up of one guy with a super sense of smell, another that does that whole blind monk thing, and... Actually a version of Batman would still be in theme. ANYWAYS! It'd be them against the evil visual-er.

20. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Exactly. It was, essentially, the same principle as mutually assured destruction - 'if you take mine, I take yours, so how about neither of us takes eithers'?'

Of course, then it went and became something where people believe it means the exact opposite; the reasons why are left as an exercise to the reader.

21. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Yup.

That's why he's King.

22. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

I would think that both should be capitalized, "Thanagarian-Alstairian". Or, since any time "Gordanian" and "Karnan" have been used in the middle of a sentence, both lower-case. Either way, sticking with one or the would make it look better I believe.
    First off, should be "They've"

Second, and this one I'm not sure of at all, but it just seems like it should be either "as-yet" or "as of yet". Just scans better to me, but like I said not sure if they're actually right (or at least more/less right than the current usage).

23. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

The Gordanians don't get any special sympathy from me either. I'm still baffled that the Illustres hasn't left to do something more productive, why does he care enough to not want a massacre of the Gordanians but doesn't care enough to ferry them/save them? He didn't even know this was happening until he arrived just a little ago.

I mean, if they get massacred does the Galaxy lose anything? They aren't going extinct precisely and there's enough evil or 'morally grey' species out there that we don't really need these lizards; plus, they brought this roaring rampage of revenge on themselves I believe.
    But if the massacre isn't acceptable, they could always be hired I guess? They make good mercenaries and/or warriors, supposedly, the war with the Reach will need a lot of warm bodies (for the Fleet/LEGION) or they could be marooned someplace (with or without Zaark's people) to see what they make of themselves.

Vorian likes this.
  24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

After Tamaran was destroyed, Garth convinced the Gordonians to accept the Tamaranean refugees. The price for this?

"The slave trade dries up each day as the system becomes a more civilized place and you have a reputation for being brainless thugs. The Tamaraneans have a good reputation though, with the Tamaranean's help, you can escape reliance on a dying industry and find a place for you among the New Vega Alliance."

Garth also convinced the Gordonian leaders that the Omega Men leading an invasion of the Gordonian homeworld was just a forceful opening statement in negotiations.

They accepted. On the condition "That Darkfire not be leader of the Tamaraneans, because he's an idiot." "Hey! Standing right here!"

While hardly altruistic, it's not often that comic book villains show enough sense to abandon villainy for mutually beneficial cooperation.

25. Mr Zoat

Alstairian is capitalised because that's the planet they came from, while 'thanagarian' is their species.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Afer a check I've now seen both, but I tink I'll leave it.
    If they continue fighting then many more on both sides will die, particularly if the fighting moves to the gordanians' home continent. Gordanians have slavery (including of other gordanians) as a normal part of their culture and aren't necessarily particularly cruel to them. Indeed, the SI has no evidence that this particular group have done anything.

26. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Zoat has decided on a writing convention that the names of species are normal nouns ("cat" "dog" "human") and the names of nationalities and ethnicities are proper nouns ("European" "Asian" "Terran"). So you have a species called gordanians, and some of those live on Karna, making them Karnans, but not karnans. And you have a species called karnans, and some of those live on Gordane, making them Gordanians, but not gordanians.

This was a decision he made relatively recently in the story's history. Originally he decided that all species names would be capitalized, because that allowed all of those terms to be treated equally, but he realized that it meant capitalizing Dog and Cat and such -- which eventually got to the point where he decided that it introduced MORE exceptions from the norm than it resolved.

Mr Zoat, DrThoth and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Nioz

Nioz Know what you're doing yet?

As Common Sense Paul put it, out of the New Gods, the ones from New Genesis are the least bad. And they are rather Fascist. So just maaayyybe OG OL Paul is a bit leery on the topic of installing sentient tech from such a civ as an “benevolent interim dictator AI”.

28. narukaze132

narukaze132 Getting some practice in, huh?

I'm fairly confident that Paul doesn't have a Motherbox and that he has no viable means of acquiring one in the foreseeable future, let alone this episode, so it's kind of a moot point here.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    infinityDivided likes this.
  29. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Canis has one and Paul knows multiple smithing gods, super scientists and magical researchers, that reverse engineering it should be possible.

30. narukaze132

narukaze132 Getting some practice in, huh?

... OK, I'll be honest, I had forgotten about Canis. But... reverse engineering Mother Box? I mean, I don't know much about them, but based on what I do know, I'd argue that the odds of doing that without an engineering-inclined New God are slim to nil. Plus, his contacts are extremely busy with other projects, and I don't think they have time to do this too. And I'm not sure if all of them would be comfortable experimenting on a sentient being, and Mother Box is definitely sentient. (In fact, I seriously doubt Paul would be comfortable with that.)

Plus, it's still not exactly relevant here; even if he asks his allies to reverse-engineer one, he still doesn't have one right now, and that project probably wouldn't bear fruit for years, if ever.

Vorian, Ardy, Buggy123 and 5 others like this.
  31. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

the problem isn't solved in a day. it will take time. one man with pauls abilities can do it but it takes time

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.