1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: Jiggity-Jig (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

8th February
    20:35 GMT

The Councillor from Gizzard Spiker floats in a ring-generated flight aura, a muzzle over his snout. The guards who headed towards us the moment he lunged at me slow to a stop, while the councillors, representatives and emissaries freeze.

"Sir, please don't do that again. If you wish to register your displeasure, you may simply inform me of it."

The Councillor from Long Striders cranes his neck slightly to see around his floating colleague. "In that case, let me register it. Disarming down to the level the Supreme Commander requires would leave us helpless against a great many of our neighbours. Our normal ships aren't well-armed enough to fight off dedicated attackers."

"And how long do you think those raiders will exist for?"

"What do you mean?"

"The Beast -the one being whose presence kept the Green Lantern Corps from intervening in Vega- is now receiving psychiatric treatment on Maltus. Jarko gets his revenue from taxation rather than raiding, Amalak provides security services for pay, the Spider Guild are shipbuilders and the Citadel is gone. The sort of mass piracy Vega enabled was always a bubble economy and it just got popped. Karnans who've lived most of their lives in the Crown Imperium won't regard that as the cost of doing business; their fleet will be sent after anyone who tries that sort of thing just as soon as they've secured their home here. In addition, Tamaran is building a fleet. A few of the older delegates here might remember the way they used to use their fleet before their ill-fated attack on Citadel Complex."

"Fewer raiders."

"Fewer, if any. The price of them doing business will go up too much."

"What about the branx, or the psions?"

"I fully expect the branx to pivot, as you were doing before the karnans arrived. Those with close ties to the Citadel will lose out, while those with external contacts will gain. The psions have worked through proxies since they recovered from creating X'Hal. They're going to find themselves in an extremely hostile environment. They might leave, they might fortify. If they try raiding themselves then they're going to receive more attention than they can deal with."

"Are you guaranteeing that yourself?"

Am I?

"I suppose that I am." I turn to the Councillor from the Gizzard Spikers. "Have you calmed down now?"

He glowers, but doesn't strain against the muzzle. I float him back to his seat and then remove the flight aura. He makes a variety of small stretching motions, maintaining eye contact all the while.

Then he sits.

"Clan Gizzard Spiker will never disarm. There is no longer any purpose in you being here."

The Councillor from Blood Flecks bares his teeth slightly. "Clan Gizzard Spiker would be well advised to make fewer definitive statements."

The Gizzard Spiker councillor turns his way and snarls. "Clan Blood Flecks would be well advised to find its gizzard once more!"

"If I may interject, gentlemen. The disarmament requirements would only apply to ships within Vega. If Clan Gizzard Spiker does not like the restrictions, they may wish to negotiate for passage out of Vega. Clan Unending Conquest have done rather well for themselves with only a token presence here."

"Or we could just leave."

"I imagine that you would die if you did. I doubt that your fellow gordanians would like you leaving them in the lurch like that. And even if you actually made it away, the Crown Imperium has 'Wanted: Dead' bounties on your entire clan for piracy. If you went anywhere near their space they would send their navy after you… In fact, there's a good chance they'd send naval vessels after you anyway."

"Then by the First, what I am supposed to be negotiating for?!"

"Safe passage. They might be prevailed upon to let you through their territory as long as you were definitely going somewhere else and staying there. I can provide you with a list of worlds you could colonise… Or you could carry on as you do here until someone important takes notice of you and kills you. Up to you."

He takes a moment to glare at the other gordanians, but he knows full well that they'd happily hand his entire clan over if it guaranteed their survival. Heck, most of them were actively fighting Gizzard Spiker not too long ago.

"Leaving… My clan will consider this. But what of the Green Lanterns? The karnans can't speak for them."

"Ring, contact Green Lantern Green Man."

"Compliance."

"This might take a moment, depending on what he's doing."

Blood Flecks looks at my rings with undisguised avarice. "What would we have to trade for your help? Or for one of those rings?"

"You want a ring?" He tilts his head, eager but wary. "Here." I put a copy of my… Training guide, an editor-needed draft of my personal philosophy on orange light use, mixed in with practical lessons and reports from my own missions, onto the desk in front of him. "If you're interested, read that and reflect upon it. Master it, and you should be able to call a ring to you."

He grabs it.

"As for getting my help, you have nothing I want. The Gizzard Spikers have my enmity for working with the Citadel, and though I have revenged myself upon the Tearing Bite for doing the same-" I look over to the Representative of Tearing Bite. Mildly surprised that they've got enough force left for a place there. "-it is extremely unlikely that I could bring myself to help them. As for the rest of you, while I recognise that slavery does not automatically mean that the owned party is particularly mistreated, your karnan slaves appear to be used purely for manual labour and not kept as technically-owned helpmeets. I am not impressed. If it came to it I'd probably help the karnans, but I'd rather-."

Green Man's image appears over my ring.

"Illustres."

"Lantern Green Man."

"Given your company, I suspect that I will not enjoy this conversation."

"Have you had any trouble from the mercenaries or the Spiders?"

"Many minor complaints and many enraged messages from the government of the Crown Imperium."

"But no acts of genocide or piracy."

"None that have come to my attention. What do you want for the gordanian slavers?"

"The karnans are on the verge of retaking Karna. I'm trying to negotiate a surrender. For obvious reasons the karnans want them to hand over or scuttle their war fleets. Some gordanian clans aren't prepared to do that and so will have to leave Vega."

"How many?"

I look around the room. "Anyone other than Gizzard Spiker seriously considering it?"

Blood Flecks and Silent Stalking knock on their tables.

"Three somewhat depleted clans."

"And what do you want me to do?"

"Let them go, and only pursue them for crimes they commit after they leave."

"Let the most heavily armed gordanian clan, the clan most closely allied to the Citadel, leave the area and go anywhere they wish."

"Yes. With my personal guarantee that -should they act out- I will respond as soon as I'm notified and exterminate them."

"What?"

"Exterminate?"

"Yes. I'm only doing this to lower the death total on Karna on both sides. I'm not actually interested in helping them, just in getting a settlement."

"I will.. consider the matter. Green Lantern Green Man out."

"Right. I'll check back with the karnans."

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*helpless against

*the way they

3. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

...........:D:D

Thank you, Mr Zoat.

I LOL'd.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Looks like he's not happy with the Deal.

In other words, sirs and ladies, the universe has changed around you. It's up to you to adapt to it.

After all, Vega is no longer off limits to the Green Lanterns... Once the Guardians get onto it...

Not a happy lizardman.

Welp, he just committed suicide, politically at least.

Man, where's the Krogan Headbutt interrupt when you need it?

He can see the knives being readied, yes...

Heh. Good luck, little gecko.

I can just hear the "Oh god, what have you done now?" in his voice.

And you might be wrong there...

Erroneous Plural. Again. :p

And again.

Not without conditions, of course!

And now I'm picturing the councillors going boggle-eyed at that statement.

"Yes. I'm only doing this to lower the death total on Karna on both sides.

Gotta love OL's Enlightened perspective, where he can casually promise to wipe out thousands of sentients to seal a deal. And they have no reason to doubt him, given the Citadellians' fate.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  5. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

Its gizzard, no apostrophe, probably?

6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

7. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

I imagine that blood flecks is trying to comprehend his new textbook very thoroughly, very quickly.

8. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

The scenes here make sense in terms of realism, but for a story it feels odd that the witnesses Paul grabbed haven't reacted or contributed yet.

ChestBurster, Mastigos2 and McGraw like this.
  9. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paul, missed opportunity here!

"EXTERMINATE!"

"...Paul, why do you look like an orange, angry salt shaker all of a sudden?"

"Uncultured swine!"

10. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

He's trying to take this seriously; millions of lives are at stake.

11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That's assuming that Doctor Who is fictional in the DC multiverse.

Since this picture seems to show a Dalek trophy in the Batcave- [​IMG]

That might not be the case....

12. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

ARE THEY DA-LEK LIVES?! THEY HAVE NO VAL-UE! EX-TER-MIN-AT-ED!”

Bramble Thorn, BBJimmy, c3qo and 11 others like this.
  13. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

Holy crap Batman killed the a Dalek. Well there's some kind of crossover comic I need to read probably Batman traveling to another universe. Now I'm trying to imagine how the Doctor and Batman would get along.

14. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

That, or he confiscated a dangerously functional costume from a homicidal cosplayer. One has to consider the likelihood of various scenarios, and Gotham leans heavily toward literal insanity.

15. Stsword

Or Toyman felt he needed a life sized toy to play with...

16. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Read back a chapter or two and you'll see that the witnesses came in and spoke to the council prior to Paul going in. I don't think there's been any mention of what happened to them or whether they are still present.

17. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

They're not in the room; they left before Paul entered

18. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Given DC (and the fact that that issue (IIRC) was written by Grant Morrison), either or both would be plausible.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  19. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

BWAHAHAHAHAAHA!

shame they're slow thinkers- that what would be a lovely, fittingly-tinged yellow right now if they weren't..

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Prince Charon likes this.
  20. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Heh. There's no possible way giving a guide on how to call an orange ring to someone who hates you could possibly backfire, right Paul?

I don't know about Batman, but there has been a Star Trek: TNG/Doctor Who crossover comic. And though that particular one wasn't published by DC there were (are?) some TNG comics there were published by DC. So they case could be made based on that. Though, honestly, if he existed in the DCU I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have turned up during one of the many crisis. In particular Flashpoint was a crisis caused by time travel, which is, you know, sort of his thing.

21. B.B. Rain

B.B. Rain I trust you know where the happy button is?

If this line in the middle is Lantern Green Man communicating through Paul's ring, shouldn't it be in full Orange like the rest of his dialogue?

Bramble Thorn and Mr Zoat like this.
  22. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

23. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

"Yes, I'm being helpful and nice here, to prevent genocide. But if you fuck up, I'ma kill every last fucking one of you."

A diplomatic stance I can get behind.

Walk softly, and carry a big gun.

24. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Prince Charon and Mr Zoat like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn and Prince Charon like this.
  26. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Eh, he's managed to flat out want the rings straight off of rookie's fingers. A relatively inexperienced hostile Lantern isn't a huge deal.

27. Stsword

There was also this Legion of Superheroes/Star Trek crossover, which had Flint/Vandal Savage's trophy room of time travelers he defeated to maintain his empire.

[​IMG]

The difference between Vandal Savage of DC, and Flint of Star Trek? Vandal never got past "life is nasty, brutish, and short." Flint? Flint gained the hope that people can make a better tomorrow.

In this crossover, both Vandal and Flint were possible futures of the immortal caveman Vandar Adg.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  28. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Doesn’t Star Trek have the future Federation who are fighting a Time War that’s responsible for the various Star Trek reboots and a few time travel episodes?

29. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

The fact that the hot tub time machine is in that collection invalidates the whole thing.

30. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Agreed! Not to mention the idea that Savage would be able to best both the master AND the Doctor? PUH-LESE!!

Prince Charon likes this.