1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh boy, a Renegade segment!
    (not sarcasm)

And it's focusing on Sunset too! While I'm not particularly a fan of MLP, I still think she's one of the more interesting characters in the Renegade 'verse, and the whole "two different universes, with different physics and magic systems interacting" thing is pretty interesting.

2. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Phrasing!

Sorry, I had to say it xD

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I am going to guess whatever the first brick is it's an energy field bigger then his head.

4. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

You're looking at it the wrong way; Grayven is a energy field larger than his own head. That fancy soul isn't just for show, after all.

And the energy-field rule doesn't apply to (half) energy beings.

5. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Sounds like part of an Equation to be entirely honest.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  7. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

This could be the right general idea. I had to go back and check why Grayven couldn't just boom tube to Wilson, but I guess you do have to know where the place is to do that.
    I know that...and my question wasn't "Why is the text red?" But thanks anyway.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  8. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I was going to call out Chojin for being distracted by the dancing pecs, but apparently moue is a real word. I'll have to remember it next time my mom and I play Scrabble.

9. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Could the anti-life fragment be distorting the readings?

10. Grek

Grek (she/her)

I think the device spontaneously awakened its divinity, bricked itself due to eating an energy field larger than its (metaphorical) head and then exploded.

Vorian, Ph34r_n0_3V1L, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  11. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I believe renegravyen jumped that shark a long time ago.

12. Mr Zoat

Reagan stopped being president in 89, which is twenty years ago this year. As long as what you want to argue about a) occured in 88 or before and b) is relevant to this stroy and c) you haven't been individually banned from doing so, then you are free to discuss it.

13. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

1989 was thirty years ago...

14. Mr Zoat

Oh. Yes. Well, in that case, Reagan can be discussed completely freely.

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  15. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I myself don’t think that that’s what happened, but your idea could be interesting in its implications for creating New God AIs/Boxes.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

"Anytime" is an adverb, used to describe an action. Here, you're referring to a time, and it can be any time, so that's two words.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  17. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

"Taking cover and wearing protection can be the difference between an alive Mad Scientist and a dead one."

18. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Seriously, the entire line of discussion is probably best dropped unless we want to draw the attention of the mods. It's just too easy for it to segue into forbidden territory.

Simonbob and Navi-Hank like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn and nobodez like this.
  20. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I asked a lawyer friend and he said this wouldn't technically be legal, but it is the kind of illegal that is only enforced by the lawyers for the defendant objecting to it. So for a civil case, unless Batman wanted to out himself he could show up to court in the cowl and the case could proceed.

It's less clear for a criminal action.

Bramble Thorn, BBJimmy, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

In theory, at the start, the durlan attack which caused him to become August X in Iron is relatively recent and he hasn't yet been promoted yet.

Having thought about it a bit more, I think it makes more sense for him to start as a Colonel and to get promoted to General. If someone would like to point out where the story is currently wrong I will correct it.
    The SI doesn't know, and probably not.

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    That is where all this started.
    'Wrll' is correct, as she was making a noise.

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  23. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Gotcha, sorry about that then. My only goal in this is bringing up stuff that might have been changed since the story was moved here, that kind of thing sticks out like a broken thumb to me. Sorry if/when I post redundant stuff, just trying to help.

Gantradies likes this.
  24. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

you don't need an Oracle to refute that one.

Ardy, Simonbob and Navi-Hank like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Unfortunately, no one has put a completely legitimate scan of the Starman Annual where the affair is discussed. I've fixed the others, though.

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Oracle didn't happen in the JLAU verse.

Probably because someone being paralyzed when they have access to super-tech medical technology and other types of healing was stupid.

27. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

oh i know, i just wanted to make the wordplay. :oops:
    also, Joker could have easily gone to a magical Supervillain and created a curse, or made it a psycosomatic effect of the attack that she can't walk.

LetheVoid likes this.
  28. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Alas! If I thought it would help I would just re-up all the images I come across to imgur, but that would mean going through and doing a re-re-read to catch them all. Maybe next time I do a read through but that probably won't be for at least a year. That and I don't want to be a pain in the ass about the corrections, this is the first time I've ever actually interacted with the author of a story I'm actively following.

I'm kind of a major introvert.

Gantradies likes this.
  29. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In DC comics, the twelfth (!) amendment protects superhero identities.

[​IMG]

Considering our twelfth amendment was added in 1803, apparently superheroes have been operating in the USA for a long time.

That might not apply on Earth 12 of course. :)

30. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

(Rule 8 note: This is a discussion of things that happened over 200 years ago. Please, let's keep it that way; this does NOT need to tie into modern interpretations of the 2nd amendment.)

It's not specifically about superheroes. The next panel sheds some more light on it and it makes a lot of sense that it would be a very early amendment -- it has something to do with metahuman powers, and it has something to do with protecting loved ones, and it's something that Superman claims when he takes the stand. GL here also isn't the accused (The Flash is) but only a witness.

One person I saw compared it to the 5th amendment, which protects against self-incrimination in court, but I think it's better to compare it to the 2nd amendment. Metahuman powers provide a force multiplier on par with or beyond weapons, but they can't really be classified as "arms" in any meaningful sense. They're also not exactly something you can deny access to, especially with the tools available in the 1790s. And they're not something that can necessarily be relied upon as part of a militia, because there's no telling who's going to be available when and where or if they're going to be sympathetic to your cause or if they're going to want to blow you up for trying to draft them. So the terms of the 2nd amendment couldn't really be easily extended to cover metahumans.

So I think the 12th amendment ensures that the government can't deny the right for metahumans to use their powers to protect their loved ones. And just as subsequent jurisprudence has placed prerequisites on exercise of the 2nd amendment, it seems that this government has established a similar registration process for metahuman powers. Such registration appears to be a requirement for citing the 12th amendment as a legal defense in cases involving power use.

This doesn't really require "superheroes" as we understand them in a 20th-century context to have been active in the 18th century. It only requires that metahuman powers were sufficiently prominent in the public eye to spark legal debates over them. And we have evidence from other comics that metahuman powers were known in antiquity, so that's unsurprising.

EDIT: I forgot to include what I was going to say about secret identities. There are plenty of reasons to protect one's identity, ESPECIALLY when acting as a witness instead of as a defendant. We even have a Witness Protection Program explicitly for that purpose. So invoking the 12th amendment would essentially be a way of saying "I'm allowed to use my powers, and you haven't convicted me of a crime, so revealing my identity without a good cause would be an unreasonable search".

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019