1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.

2. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

That may have been his complaint too. That's how I saw it.

3. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Or the Nazis reverse engineered the Kryptonian technology with the competent non-Jewish scientists they had? Because they had those?

Like, do you have any idea what it sounds like to ask, "How did they accomplish anything without the Jews?"

4. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Fairly rationally - really. We have no way of knowing the full extent of any genetic change. All genetic engineering right now is very similar to Voodoo programming. We can randomly change any bit of the code/ genome (look up CRISPR) we want, but it’s written in what is basically machine language (1s and 0s vs As Cs Gs and Ts) - and we have no known way of making an interpreter/ high level language. We’re trying to change code with no idea what any of it really does. So we can tell some of what changing a base does just based on how the code runs, but we have no idea what the full effects will be. For a very basic example, some animals when domesticated (by random mutations/ breeding) are no longer fertile. If we start mucking around with human genetic engineering we have no real way of knowing what the full long term effects on an individual may be. We might introduce new genetic disorders, or cause hormonal imbalances. And it’s not as simple as picking and choosing genes from a specific person on record either. Some genes are only lethal in combination with each other. We could be trying to give someone blonde hair and give them Deuchenne Muscular distrophy or some other disease that leads to birth defects instead. It’s going to take a lot of work before human genetic engineering is in any way reliable, and it might never be fully predictable.
    Even in programming - we have the concept of Deep Magic - where some code does something it really shouldn’t be able to do due to the way it impacts hardware, or a bug in the system - e.g. a comment impacting the way code runs or the somewhat famous bugs in Super Mario World where doing specific things in game can write a script in memory that takes you to the credits.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  5. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He’s not living on Earth? And he kind of is? Luthor by himself can at best rival him.

Gilhelmi and Relyt33 like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Luthor of earth 16 seems to be more of a brilliant busnisman rather than a scientist like a lot of other adaptations.
    He may have the same level of intellect like Sivana but it isn't geared toward science so much as it is geared toward planning, tactics, strategy and bussines.

7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So it's risky. Like any other medical procedure it will be first tried on those who would otherwise suffer so much that side-effects don't matter.

As for unintended side-effect: why is everyone acting as if we can only change genes once? In the worst case scenario we will fix it in the next generation.

Not trying to help people because it "might go wrong in some unspecified way" is irrational.

Cuchulin, Kaldi97 and Relyt33 like this.
  8. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

Sorry but am I missing something or is it different in YJ-verse? I was of the impression that Gold Kryptonite permanently disabled/interfered with kryptonian powers.

9. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The pod landed in 38. I don't think they had Jewish scientists left working at that point, so the reverse engineering was probably up to german scientists.

Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Gold kryptonite disables powers but if it can be removed they get them back. However it is very difficult to remove the gold kryptonite particles in the body unless you have a power ring.

11. Mr Zoat

Back in the golden age that was true. Except when it wasn't. More recently, the duration of the depowerment depended on the duration of exposure. I remember a comic where Supergirl got exposed and had to duck behind a chest-high wall for thirty seconds or so until her powers came back.

12. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Because we can’t change a full adult’s entire genome. We can change the genes for a specific cell- and then have that cell grow into multiple ones. So we can change a particular tissue or something, but some of the old cells will still be there - we will have a specific section of the body partially modified in a specific way, but not completely - the surrounding cells will still function the same way. So we can theoretically have some cells that secrete specific chemicals, but they will be mixed with cells that don’t. It will also take some time for the cell to grow into something bigger - part of the reason we can modify fish or small animals is that their cells replicate fairly quickly. But even then, the best we can do is give them a patch of tissue with a slightly different function - most of the body’s cells - and even the tissue’s cells - are still the same as they were before. Also, once a change is in place, we can’t completely reverse it without getting rid of all the affected cells. The only way to do this is the same way we usually get rid of cancer - cut it out/ extensive chemotherapy to kill the entire affected area. We can’t just fix it in the next generation if the problem is affecting the current one and it’s been literally thousands of generations. The cell has grown and potentially become cancerous / toxic in some other way.

The only reliable way to modify a whole human body / grow a human organ is to change the DNA of an egg/ sperm before it grows into a multi-cellular organism. And once we have that - there is no going back to the way the cell was before - it and all it’s descendants will stay that way. The change isn’t reversible at all, since the body grows up in a specific way. Everything about it will stay the way it is. Literally nothing to do in that case. Also, uncomfortably close to eugenics.

Probably the most useful way genetic engineering can help people is by growing organs that won’t be rejected by a specific person. Or organs that have additional functions - but they are likely to be rejected by the body as well and will have to be custom made / made to match certain genetic traits. And this is very similar to what Grayven is doing. But growing custom organs is expensive and organs with specific functions could be rejected and have to be cut out and replaced with other organs - so normal organ donations will be much cheaper and just about as effective in most cases - and so they will likely be custom-made for a specific case.

Basically, the changes are irreversible - if you’re changing body parts via injection it’s basically like a partial organ transplant where random parts are changed. Full effects are hard to detect and the body might reject them - basically have a potentially lethal allergic reaction. All full / major changes will have to be implemented on egg/sperm - who we have no definite way off telling if they would have had problems or not. And in the case of custom organ replacements - there are very few organs that can be reasonably replaced (the nervous system is ridiculously complicated and different in each individual) - and very few additional effects we can give them.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  13. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Well IRL their big issue was that they got hung up on the heavy water method and people kept fucking with the places that could make it.

14. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Protip: If you list the segment, then it won't be unlisted anymore and people can find it easier.

If you need to insert it between two extant posts in the Story Only Thread, a mod can help you do that...

15. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

If by 'hung up on' you mean 'when the captured German atomic scientists were shown a (presumably rather redacted) version of the Manhattan Project's progress they univerally insisted it was propaganda becuase they believed it was actually impossible to do it that way' then yes, yes they did.

Likewise. If Paul hadn't suggested they take their immediate leave there would have been a Full Mad Scientist RANT coming on about how the Nazis don't know anything about SCIENCE!

16. ForeverShogo

The main issue with the Nazi nuclear program was that it was always kind of half-assed. Not because they were thumbing their noses at "Jewish Physics", but because they didn't think their nuclear program would meaningfully contribute to the war effort.

And not because they didn't think nuclear bombs would be useful, but because the projections were that it would take too many years for them to produce any nukes. They essentially thought the war would already be won by the time the first nuke was produced, so they just had bare bones efforts to build a working reactor that can be used to produce fissible material under the belief that they could worry about making actual nukes after the war.

As such, a lot of the physicists they had ended up being drafted into other projects they thought would have a more immediate impact on the war.

17. Mr Zoat

It was on one of the omake lists. Which are linked in the first post in this thread and have been since this thread started.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is Hiro Okamura going to make an appearance in your story?
    Aside from that Mandated episode.

erebus1994 likes this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Probably not, but I suppose it could happen.

20. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

So basically everyone who got pulled with operation paperclip?

Relyt33 likes this.
  21. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

And whatever the Russian equivalent was.

Relyt33 likes this.
  22. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Everyone hates nazis.

And now I want to write that AU were most of DC Superheroes are European and fighting in WWII with the American Superman being jewish.

"How? I thought mere knifes didn't do anything to you?"

Super Man being jewish wasn't made public until Americans finally decided to get out their ass and enter the war, so I am a tad curious.

"My powers didn't kick until puberty. And while my skin and mayor organs can heal if given time and enough sun rays, I cannot regrow anything that was... cut off."

"Okay, moving on to a more relevant topic. The Germans have made a copy of you "

"I know." Super Man eyes are red by fury, literally. Interesting, but we are here to win a war not to make experiments that will alienate our allies.

And yes I do know me asking was a bit rude but I am know for being rude and better to ask now so we could get everyone's minds back on track.

"Please calm down, we are all are allies here, and we were ordered to share information. And the building cannot take you going at it like you did on your circus performances to bars of steel."

"I apologise." Super Man says and counts to ten to calm down. Then again I am angry at the Germans too, I am just better at acting polite.

"Good. What I actually wanted to say is... we don't know what method they used to make a blonde blue eyed 'Super Arian' but many people died so they could get one 'acceptable' Nazi hero they can show the public. And I managed to save the life of one of their... failed prototypes. Now before you get angry again, he is not a nazi or even German. And... despite my insistence that he should recover first, he wanted to meet you."

"Hello, my name John Henry Irons." Says a dark skinned man that's half machine and half man, and who is floating a few centimeters above ground." But you can call me Steel if you want."

23. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Panacidal? Ultracidal? Infinicidal?

AtomicGeneral25 likes this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is the paragon going to destroy the Light in your story, i know that by previous snippets you said that they may still exist by year 5, but will he eventually destroy them after that?

Can you give us a roster of the current Light members paragon side?

Why would the Light induct Boss Smiley into their ranks, seeing as he is slowing down human advancement, i know that most of the Light uses the whole uplift humanity spiel as some kind of justification for their frankly stupid and sometimes retarded actions while they only want to control the planet because they are a bunch of egotistical bastards the bristle at the fact that no one worships them simply for existing, except Lex who may actually want to uplift humanity but is VERY stupid in the ways he is doing it and the company he is keeping, i would think that if they want to actually uplift to society then they would try to destroy the very entity, Boss Smiley, that is hampering civilization?

Frankly i know the Light is just made up of supervillains that can't see past the end of their own nose, but COME ON really?!:eek:

Also what is Boss Smiley doing in the renegade storyline, is he hiding knowing that going up against an Apokalyptian, especially a son of Darkseid is a VERY bad idea?

Cuchulin and AtomicGeneral25 like this.
  25. ForeverShogo

Sadly, not everyone hates the Nazis judging by how damn many there still are.

I guess in your AU Hitler doesn't have the Spear of Destiny? The justification for superheroes not winning that war for the Allies was that the Spear would basically brainwash them into fighting for the Axis if they involved themselves in the war effort. (And apparently Japan used the Holy Grail to similar effect.)

Speaking of which . . . I wonder which superheroes got thrown under the bus for them to figure that out?

Oh, and the Soviet version of Paperclip was called Operation Osoaviakhim.

boo600, Gladiusone, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is Erdammeru the Void Hound going to show up in the paragon side?

Will Kalmin be the one that creates it in your universe?

I ask this because i was rereading some old snippets you left and one was that during the war with the Reach, the Reach send a scout near Maltus only to turn away and run when they sighted Erdammeru, and that the Maltusians don't even need it.

Is Jevek or any other of the Controllers going to be working on other weapons like Effigy, Jevek did have a point when he said that they can run into problems recruiting lanterns and may need more brute force?
    Is Kalmin, aside from building warships, also working on anything else?

Will there be a way discovered to turn the Martians into one race instead of three, like in the renegade storyline, any time in your story and if so then when?

27. Mr Zoat

My god, that's one sentence.
    Which one? Hitler 16 touched it about once, but it was Wolf Krieger 16 who used it. Hitler 10 never bothered with that sort of thing.
    Yes.
    No, it already exists.
    They're called Controllers. They don't like unreliable weapons.
    Yes.
    A combination of magic and psychological conditioning could do it now, though they might not consider it desirable themselves.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sorry about the long question:D

But why would they recruit someone like him anyway, or did Smiley just show up like Klarion and they couldn't get rid of him?

DrThoth likes this.
  29. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

I think it's more along the lines of desperate people doing unfortunate things for short term gains because the long term losses won't matter if they lose beforehand, with a side order of supervillain arrogance making them think that they can just kill him once he's outlived his usefulness.

30. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I’ll save Zoat some time.

In answer to your question: yes.

Darko likes this.