1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. We talked about it, many complained about it or hoped it would never come to pass, but the time for the forum software upgrade is now!

See the details here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina I trust you know where the happy button is?

Amusingly that was Luna lying about what really happened.

Because in the Nightmare Moon origin we were showed first hand what actually happened with the Nyx.

2. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja Experienced.

I meant the time it possessed Rarity.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I'm inclined to miss out comic events.

4. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

That has a moat, a drawbridge, crenellations, Machicolations!, balistraria, towers, and no non-balistraria 'windows' on the ground floor.

A castle is a fortified personal residence, and this absolutely fits that criteria. Now, it doesn't have a curtain walls but it doesn't need them. Also, it's stupidly placed next to a cliff, where an enemy can engineer a rockslide, but I'm imagining that Celestia has given the place magic strength to deal with earth ponies. If not, that just goes to her incompetence, rather than castle criteria.

But, good design or not, this is absolutely a castle.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  5. Coda

Coda Not too sore, are you?

Why I too watch Shadiversity.

I very much appreciate that this thread went straight to "but what about dragons?"

It's unclear that this is in fact fortified. Those machicolations might not be open on top and they're not positioned over a place that attackers could be attempting to siege. The crenellations look way too short to be useful. The gatehouse is... physically impossible, so I guess we really can't discuss that.

In my estimation, this is not a castle. This is a castle-styled palace.

6. Gantradies

Gantradies Know what you're doing yet?

the way i see it, if you could get a flawless replication/understanding of the original formula nailed down,
    you've got a pretty damned decent, generalist enhancement formula for adjustment/improvement, with almost no negative effects (assuming the enhanciles aren't....morally aberrant)-
    its not the strength of any specific enhancement that's the draw- its that its.. well- boosts everything- not to mention that the OG formula, which Various Marvel Earth's have spent upwards of 60-80 years trying to just REPRODUCE, was essentially a prototypical/purely experimental formula- there's a decent chance that it could be refined to be significantly more potent...

whilst Danner and Garrick, for example, are more minmaxed/focused on enhancing specific traits/abilities-and are known to have outright lethal compatibility issues- if, for example, the SS formula could be safely applied to a patient, followed by ANOTHER formula on top....

if you were also using cybernetic/magic augmentation, it also makes a decent framework to build other augmentations on due to the well-rounded nature..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  7. RichardWhereat

It's not physically impossible until we've seen more angles of it. If you want to disprove that it it is possible, feel free to show different pictures at different angles.

Gantradies likes this.
  8. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

It's far more likely that this was a castle that evolved into a palace as time went on. My understanding of the things being said in this thread is that Celestia has ruled for hundreds of years, thus it makes sense if this place was at first a castle made to protect the little horses from the other races of the land sapient and not, thus its reasonable to assume this place started as a castle and then was turned into palace when the little horses didn't have major enemies to fear.

I mean looking at the architecture in that image it looks like this was an structure that kept getting renovated and had new palace wings as add ons.

Bramble Thorn, rdfox, PDV and 4 others like this.
  9. Vaermina

Yea, that was really the Nyx.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

So, as there seem to be a lot of MLP and HOI 4 fans here, is Equestria at War any good? Also, any suggestions for a fairly new player?

11. fictionfan

fictionfan If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Taking the woman those you defeat is a time honored tradition. Of course Gravy generally does very different things with them.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    dogbertcarroll and Cuchulin like this.
  12. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja Experienced.

I mean, that leads to some uncomfortable questions about the elements. In the demonic possession interpretation, the elements cleansed her of an outside force. If it’s just her being evil, then it’s mind control. If it’s the result of dark magic corruption then it’s functionally indistinguishable from being possessed by a demon.

Cuchulin and RichardWhereat like this.
  13. zerofarad

zerofarad Getting sticky.

One more occurrence:

Mr Zoat likes this.
  14. Threadmarks: Equestrian Girls (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

Down down down down
    Down down down down
    Down

The lift doors open… Heh. The room beyond looks like the place SHADE were keeping Lynne. In place of the machinery they were using is a series of coloured rings. Inner, mid and outer, one layer of each colour of the emotional spectrum, red at the top and violet at the bottom. And inside them a ball of… Grey. And I know it should be white. Several of the inner rings are afflicted too, dulled and.. slightly melted. I step out of the lift and cautiously start walking a circle of the room.

I find myself glancing at the place I killed Esak, and for a moment his body flickers into view.

Hm.

"What is it?"

Luna has taken a few steps closer, though thankfully she's got more sense than to actually touch the thing.

"The bands are formed from my emotions. Red, for hate and anger. Orange, for avarice. Yellow, for fear. Green, for will. Blue, for hope. Indigo, for compassion. Violet for love. A pearl of universal life force contains a fragment of the Anti-Life Equation."

"And what is that?"

"Nobody's completely certain, praise the Source. There are certain… Forms of suffering, which can… Take on a pseudo-life of their own. I suppose it's a little like how the abstract concept of 'loyalty' can, in the hooves of a profoundly loyal pony, become part of a harmonious Rainbow of Fixing. This is… A fragment, one my father chose to bestow upon me as… What I'm forced to assume was a gesture of respect and affirmation."

"What is it?"

"Have you ever wanted something, striven for something with all your might, and failed, failed completely and known a misery of a depth that you could not have known if you had never made that effort?"

She shivers, then nods.

"Imagine feeling that misery for everything. Imagine.. being convinced that even the successes were failures. Imagine being made incapable of thinking that things were otherwise, that they had ever been otherwise, that they could ever be otherwise. That is what this fragment does."

"And… The whole?"

"Father believes that it will cause the entire universe to become an extension of his being; that it will make him not a New God but simply God. Having known this.. piece, I shudder to imagine what he'd have to become to make that happen."

"And you believe that the Elements of Harmony could remove it."

"I hope that the Elements of Harmony will destroy it. But I'd take removing it. See how the cage is failing?"

"We see it." She takes a small step closer. "How long will it take?"

"Don't know. I actually used the blasted thing a little while ago and I think that's where the decay of the inner ring came from. But it's increasing and I don't know how to stop it. Because it's not just a matter of recreating the rings. It's literally eating the emotion I put into them. Making them part of it. Adapting, so that I'll come to see those emotional bonds as harmful to myself."

I stomp towards her.

"And this is just a fragment. Do you understand!? Your country may have a way to unmake the entire Anti-Life! Your entire species could devote their existences into doing nothing but fulfilling that goal and their lives would have been more worthy than they would had they devoted themselves to any other goal. And they don't need to. Six members of your species have to give me five bucking minutes. And then I'm out of their hair."

"That… Is a sound argument. And Sister's former apprentice?"

"Sunset wants to turn herself into an alicorn using a technique she discovered for herself while Celestia watches. She believes that doing so will conclusively prove Celestia wrong, and then Celestia will either admit it or prove herself unworthy of Sunset's devotion."

"She did not seem devout."

"On my world, Sunset has access to any arcane text she wants. Any arcane device she wants. She has a mentor who is delighted by her scholarship, students of her own, and tasks from me to keep her on her toes. She has everything she ever wanted from Celestia, and she bothered coming back. Why?"

"Because she is not as angry as she appears."

"No, her anger is genuine. But as much as she hates Celestia, she loves her too. In her mind, Celestia's rejection is an aber…" I look past Luna to… There's a small… Ball, like a hole to a starry sky, floating just behind her. "Aberration. What's.. that?"

The ball floats towards the cage, a pale blue aura-. She's bypassing my locks? Okay, yes, she's rather good at dream magic, that's expected. But I'm looking at it and I still can't feel it.

"No! Stop!" Luna's staring at it in fear. "We did not make you to torment others!"

"Luna, is that yours?"

It's getting closer to the emotional bindings, floating up past hope and will, slowing at fear and stopping at avarice.

The pearl within the bindings undulates.

"Luna."

"It is called the Tantabus. We made it that We might never forget Our misdeeds and failings."

"What does it do?"

"It makes Us relive them each night. We do not-."

[​IMG]

I turn my head towards her. "Why would you make something like that?"

"It is what We deserve. We desired Our ponies' reverence so much that We were driven mad by its lack."

Oh shit.

"Your desire for something was strong, and you were hurt for it."

"We were driven mad for it. We became a monster-."

The Tantabus darts in, the outer orange ring shattering and failing! The greying pearl stretches out to meet it, the inner ring evaporating at its approach.

"Luna, run." Here I-.

I blink. Here I-.

My God Speech. I can't do it. Without that-.

"What horror is occurring?"

"You've felt it, the form of suffering this fragment relates to. And you invested that feeling in this Tantabus thing. The barrier's about to fail and there's nothing we can do to stop it. I'm no longer blocking your magic. Can you escape?"

She tilts her head slightly. "Neigh, We cannot."

The orange hoop fails first, the Tantabus floating through the gap and touching the misshapen grey mass inside. It.. flows over the shape's outer surface, giving it new definition and substance.

The other rings shatter in a blast that knocks us both into the wall behind us!

And a vaguely horse-shaped thing steps forth.

"Life = Pain."

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  15. Twilight666

Twilight666 Not too sore, are you?

BTW Mr Zoat the last two updates don't have red color (renegade) for the date

16. Korfayron

Korfayron Getting out there.

God damn, well at least Grayven will get his wish of the Harmony ponies blasting the anti life, all that remains to be seen is how much of the population survives it.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Citizen

Citizen Experienced.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Grayven's getting Harmony-blasted sooner rather than later.

19. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Saw this coming from a hundred miles away... kind of disappointed by how obvious this is.

20. transhumansage

transhumansage Know what you're doing yet?

luna you stupid bitch!!!

21. Darko

Darko I trust you know where the happy button is?

To be fair Luna had no idea what the equation was or did.

22. Vaermina

The moral of this story.

Don't fuck with ponies.

23. RichardWhereat

Until the very end there, I was starting to harbour the idea that Grayven might have been able to conquer the anti-life equation portion and changing it to strengthen him, and slowly turn into a life equation portion.

Well, that's fucked.

24. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

No her dumb as fuck self torture device just ate it, so now that piece of the anti-life is aware and reactive. It'll likely leave him to cause more suffering, not sure how much it'll damage/taint his soul first.

25. nick012000

nick012000 Experienced.

Calling it now: Sunset's going to turn into an alicorn to defeat the Tantabus after it escapes to the real world to turn Equestria into a "land of nightmares" as the wiki put it, or as a side-effect of its defeat.

26. RichardWhereat

Not even close. The moral is when someone wants to be hit with all the elements of friendship, in order to prevent the spread of memetic evil, do so.

27. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Getting sticky.

there isn't a life equation so much as a mysticism of life, or something like that. the reason that it's the anti life equation is because apocalypse took the science approach while new genesis took the whole peace and love approach

Relyt33 and Darko like this.
  28. RichardWhereat

There is a life equation, it's just that it's New 52. So yeah, it doesn't exist.

29. Mr Zoat

It's a total conversion mod with its own maps. Its own division models, be they for ponies, griffins or changelings. The focus trees for minor factions are larger and more branching than the vanilla focus trees. Yes, it's good.

Stalliongrad is fairly easy to start with. I'm playing the Yale Rectorate at the moment and I've conquered about two fifths of the eastern continent after a couple of false starts.
    Thank you, corrected.

30. Old Knife

Old Knife Getting sticky.

Actual moral of this story:EXPLAIN BETTER!@Grayven.

also. this better be a nightmare.