1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

I just saw the thread we’re posting in and started wandering how we even got onto this subject... something something incompetent teachers ergo Celestia? Either way, let’s stop the detail here as we both seem to be in agreement anyway.

Jormuungaand, david, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I'm not convinced that Potterverse wizard know the theory. I'm not even convinced they know 'theory'.

3. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Well, said fic also had Salazar Slytherin as having been an actually decent guy who was the victim of history gettimg distorted over time so clearly some "creative liberties" were taken by the author.

DrThoth likes this.
  4. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

My assumption would be that there's much less mandatory schooling. After they discover their special talent, most ponies presumably go off and start doing that rather than sticking with school.

I'm thinking of it like a society where it's routine for people to start working full-time at around 13, which means you'd have ~16-year-olds with radically different paths/challenges/issues from a normal American teenager, but not necessarily at a higher emotional/maturity level.

... yeah, and if you were a grandmaster out of martial arts flick, and someone was asking to learn the instant-death touch attack that you've never taught anyone else?

It seems a bizarre assumption to assume that the default is "Well, sure, you're obviously going to get god-like powers, and it's my duty to make sure you do!", as opposed to the default being that, no, you don't get handed the keys to the universe if your mentor doesn't think you're ready, and it's entirely possible they will never think you're ready.

If a martial arts grandmaster tells you he's not going to teach his instant-death touch attack, and he wants you to go sit under a waterfall and contemplate the wind, feels like you go sit under the damn waterfall, contemplate the wind and trust that he has your best interests at heart... or don't and leave. You don't get to be pissy about it, either way.

I mean, there's a difference between "Everyone's allowed to get a gun in my country, so if someone comes to me asking to be taught, it's my responsibility to make sure they learn how to shoot a gun responsibility and safely" and "This person asked if I'd teach them how to make a nuclear bomb".

5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

In low-level chemistry classes you may not necessarily learn how the reactions happen, but you're getting hands-on experience with laboratory safety and procedures and getting a feel for what you should expect. You might get a rough idea of the relationships in the periodic table so you could guess at what you might be able to substitute, but that's not really the primary focus of the introductory classes. The potions classes that we have canon information about certainly fit into how introductory chemistry classes are taught (or at least, used to be, before funding for school labs evaporated and paranoia over safety ramped up).

There is a difference, of course, but the difference boils down to "how much trouble is it going to cause if they try to figure it out for themselves / find someone else to teach them?" If you're the only person in the world that knows the death touch technique, and if there's no way they could figure it out on their own, then there's really no risk in saying "no." If, on the other hand, your rival / villainous counterpart ALSO knows the death touch technique, then it may be better to take the student in instead of risking the alternative.

NightmareWarden, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  6. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well first off, there is no death touch. I only say that because a great deal of scammers continue to push that myth.

Moving on.

So, couple of things to consider I suppose. Did he seek me out? Did I seek him out? Do I know that he's the chosen one destined to face Baron Von Baron, the evily evilman?

That being said, we will start with the basics.

"So you want to learn death touch eh?"

We will start with the stances of death touch. I will explain why this is important, why it is needed to make the technique work, and other basics. I will correct flaws when seen, explain why the are flaws, and praise proper progress.

Then I suppose, as it is a kung fu flick, I will give reading material on the 9 points of death that one must touch to death touch. Study them in your free time, and learn them well.

Then I will introduce Paralyzing palm. Because you don't always have to death touch. Sometimes it's better to leave them alive for various reason. Also, understanding Paralyzing will better help you understand death touch.

Then, after all that, we learn death touch.

Mentor "Doesn't think you are ready" is stupid horseshit that only serves to pad out a story.

That said, "You can't learn death touch yet because you're too god damn fat, your physicality sucks, and you have no stamina. So you're not ready." is not the same as "Your oneness with those around you and the universe and the universe inside you is not fully ready to be covered in the cosmic microwave...go do pointless shit that I will not help with or explain."

If you aren't able to perform, than I'm going to train you to MAKE you able do perform.

Beyond that, a villain with half a brain could easily tempt the hero over to their side by just being decent to them. "Yeah, here is the training you want. Here's a nice paying job, and all your needs met. Say...why don't we just take this motherfucker over yeah?"

Then the grandmaster is shit, is wasting your time, and its no surprise when his student either turns evil and destroys all that he cares about, or gets killed by Baron Von Baron of eviltown before he can do anything and now said student is really on the backfoot as he does not have the skills that you didn't bother to teach him....and only the author's ass contains the measures to save you now.

Because sitting under a waterfall, contemplating the wind, and trusting someone refuses to actually tell you anything....is fucking stupid and is a trope that needs to go die.

Also yes you DO get to be pissy about it if...

1. He sought you out as a student.

2. You were sent to him via agreement to learn the things you need to know to stop Baron Von Baron from killing you/everyone.

3. You are his last shot, and without you everything that he has learned, and everything that has come before him to get him to this point, dies with him. Thus wasting the time and lives of everyone who came before him.

No. It's more like "This person asked me/I ask them to be my student, to teach them the knowledge that COULD allow them to make a nuclear bomb." But instead I chose to fuck around, piss them off, fuck around, waste their time, fuck around, piss them off, waste more time, fuck around a little bit more, waste some more time, piss them off even further and suddenly HOLY FUCK, THEY WENT AND LEARNED HOW TO MAKE A NUCLEAR BOMB BEHIND MY BACK AND NOW THEY WANT TO DETONATE IT JUST TO HURT ME!!

Ah shit...who could have seen that coming?

Because fictional mentors are NOT real teachers, written by people who don't actually give a fuck about the process, nor do they understand it. So instead, they'll pull some stupid shit out of their ass later down the line to give their hero the skills/power that you should have done in the first place Mentor.

Then, after that, hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of fanfics will be written around the premise of "Why didn't he just teach him death touch?"

7. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Bravo, kudos! I officially request for Maxx to be my Mentor! I'll most likely end up learning how to be a Red Lantern, but I can see it would still be glorious!!

Nonetheless, this is a weird derail, but I still like it. Almost as much as this arc, which keeps being awesome and which I'm going to miss when it ends.

I have the recent doubt if Sunset is going to stay in Equestria? I imagine so, 'cause she really wants to be an Alicorn, but maybe the portal/Mirror is going to stay permanently open (which of course doesn't sound dangerous, no sir) and she will just come and go? If not then I'm going to miss her and her interactions with Grayven.

8. Maxx Crowley

Depends entirely what Maxx's super powers are in said universe where he is mentoring you

9. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

You know, it's kind of interesting that Grayven picked up a lot of stuff from this universes Batman for parenting.

Lupercal likes this.
  10. TheMidnightRook

The schools I attended didn't do it that way, at least not in the limited bits of chemistry taught in the mandatory generic "Science" classes. It was always theory first, lab work (what little lab work there was) later.

11. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

My first real chemistry class was in college. I went to a religious middle and high school where while they taught the basics of the basics a lot of stuff boiled down to "Write that this is actually wrong because we your teachers believe it's wrong with no evidence against it for an extra point."

12. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

"Should I make you leave the palace, get some perspective, and then be banished from Equestria for thirty years instead of telling you the truth? That would be the generous, loyal, funny, honest, kind thing to do, right?"

13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Snape invented at least seven spells while a teen at Hogwarts (including that cut a bitch spell Harry used on Malfoy), the twin's joke shop included potions and charms of their own invention, and Hermione probably invented a couple of the spells she used, since one was in English and no one could figure out how to undo her snitch curse.

So I'd say their knowledge of the fundamentals of thaumatology is just fine.

14. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Coda TheMidnightRook
    Our chemistry classes started with: "Here are four beakers of clear colorless liquid. One is water. The other three will kill you if you taste them. Give me ideas for how we can find the water." "Here are four dishes of white powder. One is powdered sugar. The other three will kill you if you taste them. Give me ideas for how to find the sugar." And then the teacher walked us through trying the safe ways. This then became more complex over the course of the year until we were doing distillation and filtration and gas separation and freezing point depression - and ended in us making vanilla ice cream.

15. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Most of the stuff you are objecting to is a essential part of many Eastern of Martial Art and any martial art that has actual mystical death touch as part of it. Part of the martial arts that are hundreds of years old is a spiritual philosophy and even most modern martial arts are about "beating people" and "Boot to the Head" Ed Gruberman. The real point of the chop socky and what gives people 'flying fists of fury' is cultivating ones spirit, the mind as well as the body. Even Roranora Zoro isn't able to cut stone and steel by brute force, he is able to hear the "breath" of things via oneness with his surroundings. Shaolin Monks have such a reputation as badass mofo's as much because they are monks and so holy men as anything else.

16. Maxx Crowley

Right. The bullshit.

Of bullshit.

Written by people who have no clue as to what they are talking about most of the time.

BUT! The good ones actually show the hero being trained. Drunken Master was all about that. Hence it's a classic.

11th hour superpower bullshit and I really like One Piece. Though, I guess at this point it was actually Haki the whole time.

Overblown and untested at that. Let's see them take one a modern fighter.

17. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Okay, I apparently live in a world that's both stranger and stupider than I thought.

... on the other hand, I've had to deal with scammers convincing people that if they write their names in all lowercase letters, that activates some super-secret part of the law that means you don't have to pay taxes any more, so... man, I'm depressed at humanity now.

Eh. We'll dealing with magic. It's presumably not going to happen here, but I'm completely okay with the idea that there are parts of the alicornization process that don't work if you know too much about them.

We already have an example of something similar in the setting (activating the Element of Generosity requires you to give away something without expecting to receive anything in return... which, if you know about the reward, is basically impossible to do). Considering how conceptual the setting's magic is, "there's a key step that requires you to do X purely to do X, not because you're expecting a reward" is pretty plausible.

I mean, that's basically the best head-canon I've heard for why the guy who came up with the spell Twilight used to become an alicorn did not, himself, subsequently become an alicorn.

Lupercal, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Maxx Crowley

Bullshido is out there, its real, and its dangerous. I can't tell you how many people I've met that took a "Street Karate" course and legit believe that they can handle themselves.

It gets people killed.

Ah, freeman on the land?

I can't comment on whatever the hell pony thing is being done.

But not only am I objecting as someone how teaches people techniques that are literally as old as warfare, I'm also protesting on the grounds of BAD WRITING.

If the waterfall wind thing is actually important, then the Mentor should explain why it is. Explain HOW it is to be done (Because thats how it works)

Not give vague, riddle wrapped hints designed solely to piss someone off because "They've got to figure it out themselves."

I dont' know a single discipline that is taught by you "figuring it out yourself."

That's not training.

19. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

They also got a lot right Ed Gruberman and just because it's "bullshit" to you doesn't mean that it isn't a legit moral/spiritual philosophy. If you learn martial arts so you can use "nifty move" to "trash some bozos" you are missing the point.

Again you are missing the point. Martial arts aren't just about winning fights and in world like that of One Piece the "bullshit" is what allows for "11th hour superpower bullshit". Also I wasn't talking about "Shaolin" kung fu or how good they really are in a fight (even though many were probably very good). It's their rep and the fact that they are at least supposed to be the founders of many styles of Kung Fu such as Wing Chung which Bruce Lee used before he started developing JKD.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Vorian likes this.
  20. Maxx Crowley

I have no idea who this Ed is.

Lots of people claim to have a "legit" moral/spiritual philosophy that's actually grounded in bullshit.

I learned Martial arts because grappling is fun, and it's quite helpful to know how to handle yourself. Especially if you're a gay boy in a small town with a lot of people having a legit moral/spiritual philosophy.

I did not learn them to learn to channel my bullshit inner energy to do things that can't be done.

No. I'm dismissing it as irrelevant.

It's literally about winning/surviving fights. The Martial art is right there.

It's the 11th hour part that makes it bullshit. Zoro just goes "Man, that thing I was told about that one time would really be helpful here. Guess I'll just pull the ability out of my ass at the very second I absolutely have to."

Maybe, we've no way of knowing at this point.

Yes, Many styles of Kung fu that have been shown repeatedly to be rather useless in the modern era as they are too filled with bullshit. Which lead to people, like the mentioned Bruce Lee, to devoting their efforts into trying to get the bullshit OUT.

The little bird flies under the rock with the south wind blowing-And a boxer just knocked you the fuck out Aang.

Finally, lets not forget that my criticism was of so called Mentor's sending their students off to do bullshit acts, without explaining shit, instead of actually training them.

21. TheMidnightRook

Well, in some of the more prudish education systems, that's basically how Sex Ed is taught. :p

Watch... well, listen too, the video Cuchulin included with their post. Ed Gruberman is one of the characters in the skit.

Istaran and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Maxx Crowley

And it's basically known as a failure yeah.

I don't recall requesting homework.

So, nah.

infinityDivided likes this.
  23. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

McGonnegal, Flitwick, Firenze, Sprout, Hooch, Grubbly-Plank, and Lupus. That's six and a half (Grubbly-Plank is just a sub) off the top of my head and includes most of the teachers who were present for the whole series. It should also be pointed out that we know there were a great many other teachers at Hogwarts who didn't feature in the books. We know that Hermione is quite fond of Vector (and Hermione liking a teacher is probably a very good sign). And there are several other teachers who are only mentioned in passing (Burbage, Kettleburn). We can safely surmise that there are a great many other teachers that aren't even mentioned in the books.

For the teachers who were undeniably bad most of them can easily be explained by the fact that getting decent teachers for Defense Against The Dark Arts is basically impossible due to the curse (and Dumbledore manages it one year anyway, maybe two given that we have no idea how good Moody would have been). For the others: Trelawny was just there because she needed to be protected, and what we see of Snape in the series reflects more on his hateon for Harry than his abilities as a teacher. Consider: getting into the advanced potions class requires a perfect score on the potions OWL and enough of Snape's students hit that high standard to have reasonable class sizes in advanced potions every year. So he's demonstrably a good teacher when Harry and Harry's friends are not in the room. Slughorn actually was a pretty good teacher as far as the job itself went. He just had the creepy Slug Club thing going on. Which, seemingly, is not as creepy to wizard society as it would be to muggle society. Binns is actually pretty typical of history teachers (how in the world the vast majority of them can take a subject as interesting as history and manage to make it boring is completely beyond me) and has probably been there longer than any living person has been around anyway. Hagrid.....Yeah, no, got nothing there. I could see giving him a chance (his practical knowledge of the subject is unquestionable after all) but after the first disastrous year he should have been replaced by Grubbly-Plank.

As for the support staff, the only one who isn't top notch is Filch. And, really, when you consider just his job performance....I mean he's one guy who keeps an entire huge castle - big enough to house hundreds of students plus the staff - clean and in good repair. With his only help being a grumpy old cat. Without magic. I mean....damn. Just imagine trying to do that job.

So, yeah. All in all I think Dumbledore does a pretty decent job overall staffing the school. Not a perfect job, but a decent one.

You with a red ring is very easy to picture though. It could just be what you post here here, but you do seem ta have a lot of anger.

Seconded. Here's a tip: when getting into martial arts either pick a style that's actually been used successfully - key word that - by a military (and then make sure you're getting the real deal not some watered down version of Krav Maga) or just go with MMA. MMA's gotten to the point that it's pretty well thrown out what doesn't work from a whole slew of styles and mixed the rest together.

Well let's be perfectly fair. There are more than a few martial arts styles around today that are all about fitness. Some of them (Taebo and Tai-Chi come to mind) don't even try to say otherwise. And then you have crap like XMA that doesn't even try to pretend that it's anything other than pure showmanship.

We do, actually. Historically Shaolin were VERY good in fights. We have documented evidence of their prowess from as early as their defense of the monastery from bandits and their participation in the Battle of Hulao in the 7th century (though that far back it's debatable whether they were actually trained in the monastery or trained elsewhere). That was the beginning of their martial tradition, and as of the 15th century it was completely integrated with their religion. Throughout the 16th century they participated in defending China from the wokou pirate raids and made quite a good showing. There are pretty detailed records of those battles. Though I think it's important to remember that with Shaolin the actual martial art came first and then got integrated with the spiritual stuff as part of their religion later.

Vorian likes this.
  24. BlueAnime88

BlueAnime88 Always Fear! For I am EVERYWHERE!!

im going to go ahead and say this. while i find the whole conversation about martial arts and teaching fascinating, i dont actually think it is relevant anymore to the story. maybe we can stop the derail?

25. david

david Getting sticky.

McGonnegal, sure.

Flitwick, sure.

Firenze most notably replaced one of the most useless teachers in the school and then only got half the lessons because said useless teacher came back. Putting aside the fact that divination has never actually been shown as being useful outside of natural-born abilities, the whole Firenze situation just goes to show how terrible the hiring policy is at that school.

Sprout, sure.

Hooch, the teacher who shouted at Neville to "come back" rather than actually telling him how or helping him? No.

Grubbly-Plank again only serves to illustrate how terrible the long term teachers are and how competent teachers will be sidelined as soon as Dumbledore can manage it.

infinityDivided likes this.
  26. Maxx Crowley

Well yes, Red or yellow I'd imagine.

But where I writing an SI like Zoat, I don't think I'd pick a power ring at this point. Sci-fi tech is neither an interest of mine really, or a strong point.

I mean, at the same time, a lot of "MMA" gyms are just trash.

The point thing to consider when training any martial art, in my opinion, is do they spar full contact in some way? Boxing and Kickboxing wear gloves and headgear. Judo and BJJ utilize thick crash mats.

The key being that there is no "If you do this, this SHOULD happen." and instead "If you do this" WHAM! "That's what happens."

Sure, Aikido claims to be able to shatter limbs, rip tendons, and I dunno, tear out souls...and sure, many of the techniques COULD do that...maybe.

But how many times have they done so?

I know I can choke you out, because I've choked people out.

Plain Jane amateur wrestling has gone on tears in combat sports despite being quite watered down these days. Yet still effective. Why? Because when a wrestler shoots for takedown...he's done that takedown probably a million times in his life. He knows what he can do.

27. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

True, but I think you and I both know that almost all styles have their....shall we say "embarassing" dojos/gyms/whatever.

Oh yes. Absolutely. Trying to learn how to fight without sparing is like trying to learn how to swim without getting wet. I forget where that quote comes from, but I absolutely believe it. If you're not sparring at all you have no way of knowing if what you're doing works. If you're doing point sparring all you're learning is to pull your punches. Full contact sparring is key.

28. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I just assume that Hogwarts is a research institution and that teachers aren’t hired for their ability to teach, but to make people money for the school via research. They don’t teach, they do. Hooch is likely a qualified coach and referee. She’s not a gym teacher or junior league. If this was America, she’d be making millions of dollars. She probably has some sort of connections in the professional Quiditch world. Hogwarts kind of makes more sense as a top tier private school (or public school in Britain) or a University that starts early.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Threadmarks: Equestrian Guise (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Equestria
    Afternoon

I trot down the palace corridor, fun sized ponies stepping out of my way. But it's more in wary deference than outright fear, and that's good. Both because it suggests that they're not stupid and because I… Don't really want tiny equinoids to be afraid of me.

"…resonance effect from having thousands of thaumically active individuals believing the same thing!"

Sounds like Sunset's made a… Person whom she tolerates?

"But that doesn't explain why they believe that in the first place!"

Twilight's awake, then. Not sure why she came here

I knock on the door.

"Yes!" / "Yes!"

I push the door open and then trot inside. Celestia's current and previous students are standing in front of a blackboard covered in… Um, even more Atlantean thaumaturgical notation several levels more advanced than I can understand and what appears to be the far more primitive pony equivalents.

Though the meaning of 'F ≠ M' is clear enough, especially with Sunset's chalk floating next to it.

"Sunset, I need your help."

She glares at the blackboard, then at Twilight, then turns to me. "Well I'm not making any progress here."

"Am I attractive?"

"Ah." She blinks. "What?"

I shake my head. "I don't know anything about pony standards of beauty, do I?"

"I-." A mildly disturbed look on her face, Sunset gives my front arc the once-over. "Why.. do you even want to know?"

"I had that whole dream thing with Luna, but I don't know if she's just humouring me or if there's actually any potential there."

Sunset fixes me with a level gaze. "Grayven, I'm.. glad that you're enjoying yourself, but-." I do my best to look innocent. She doesn't buy it. "Grayven, this is my home. I lived here for most of my life, and I do not want you treating this as a booty call."

"I'm not. I like her."

"And… What about Kara?"

"Is constantly on guard to thwart my villainy. That's not a good basis for a healthy relationship. I don't want to have to constantly blackmail someone into spending time with me."

"Can we.. please.. focus?"

"Alright. How's it going?"

"Ah…" Twilight looks uncertain. "I'm still not sure this is going to work."

"Jgh!" Sunset gestures to the board. "I literally just finished explaining it to you. You know it makes sense. You're not that indoctrinated. You'd have to be some sort of total Starswirl fanfilly-."

"Wh-? What?" Twilight grins unconvincingly. "Pf! Nooo. I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation why your math seems to make more sense than Starswirl's Grand Thaumatic Theory."

Sunset rolls her eyes. "Looks like Celestia got to you early."

"Do you suddenly not want to study the magics that turned me into an alicorn?"

"Mmmm…" Sunset hesitates. "No..?"

"Nooooo..?"

"No, I would like to study the magical links between you and your friends please."

"Okay. So. I think-."

"Are you allowed to help me?"

Twilight looks at her and frowns. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because I'm pretty sure Celestia banned Cadenza from talking to me about her ascension, and I never got given Starswirl's spell book."

"Caden-? Cadance?" Twilight smiles, this time less disturbingly. "You know Cadance?"

"Yeah, I was Celestia's student when she started living here." Sunset closes her eyes, takes a deep breath and exhales to expunge her irritation. I can hardly believe that Celestia didn't realise how Sunset would feel about there being another alicorn around, particularly after what Starswirl's mirror showed her. "Where is she, anyway?"

"She's coming here! She and Shining Armor are taking the sleeper down from the Crystal Empire-."

"The Crystal what?"

"Ah…" Twilight looks around, her eyes alighting on a scroll. "The Crystal Empire." The scroll glows in the colour of her magic as it rises off a bookshelf and unrolls itself. "It reappeared when the spells-" Sunset trots closer and peers at it. "-Princess Celestia and Princess Luna used to keep King Sombra bound wore off."

Sunset narrows her eyes as she looks at the map's scale. "Looks more like a city. Why would you call a city an empire?"

"Tradition, mostly. It used to have a lot more territory, but when Sombra went to war with Equestria they got pushed back further and further, until they only held the capital city. When that vanished, the rest of their territory was annexed by Equestria."

I frown. "I've been thinking. Wouldn't using the Elements of Harmony have made more sense than rooting around for the Crystal Heart? I mean… That's basically what you use them for, isn't it? 'See unfriendly villain, rainbow cannon to the face'?"

"No, we didn't bring them with us."

I blink, then shake my head in bewilderment. "Why not? I would have thought that they would be the perfect counter."

Sunset rolls her eyes. "Because Celestia didn't tell her to."

"That's not why. The Crystal Heart powers the spells keeping the city warm. Without it, all the crystal ponies would have frozen. And if I hadn't had to find it then I'd have never confronted and overcome my worst fears."

I raise my eyebrows. "What was that, anyway?"

"Having Celestia rejec.. t… Me." She glances awkwardly at Sunset, who rolls her eyes. "Um."

There's a knock at the door, and Twilight sighs in relief before giving us another extremely fake grin.

"Let me just get that."

Twilight trots over to the door and opens i-.

"Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake!"

"Ah. Cadance? I didn't think you were getting here until-?"

"Clap your hooves-" Twilight grimaces back at us as she sits on her haunches and plays a brief game of pat-a-cake with her former foalsitter. "-and do a little shake."

Sunset has gone very still.

"I didn't think you were getting here until later."

"I heard a ru-mour about you and Aunt Celestia." There's a momentary pause. "Twilight, are you hiding something?"

"Ah. No?"

"Is there somepony in there you don't want me to see?"

There's a definite eagerness in her voice. If she hadn't popped into existence with no build-up for the purpose of the series two finale, I'd be curious as to how exactly her charge ended up as socially isolated as she did. And how Twilight remained a bachelorette even after discovering the magic of friendship. But as it is-

"No, of course-."

-I just see a feed line.

I grin. "Yes!"

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  30. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Grayven why.

Just.

First the "Alicornism is an STD" thing, now making someone believe you're Twilight's booty call.

Why are you such a dick to ponies?