1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

She's probably just that far behind. But she comes from a pretty primitive planet, so I'd hardly blame her for it.

2. Akatsunami

Akatsunami The Potatoist.

What I said applies either way.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

'Heavily warded' means that it has powerful wards.
    'Heaviest warded' means that it is very heavy and has some wards.
    It's a mountain, a type of object known for being fairly heavy.

4. Buggy123

I'm sorry but I'm going to need a citation for that, that can't possibly be right.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  5. Threadmarks: Hoard (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

11th January
    09:32 GMT

"You want me to what?"

Hinon huffs, putting her newly completed personal lantern down on her work bench. It's… A little better than mine.

"I want you to come to Earth and make sure that my techniques haven't caused-."

She turns around to glare at me. "It was a rhetorical question. I have already assured you that your teleportation does not cause any sort of 'spillage' which could affect those around you. If you are not prepared to take my word for it, why would a 'field trip' suddenly make me more authoritative?"

"It's not just my teleportation. Larfleeze drew visitors from all across this galaxy. You've spent more time with them than I have. You know-."

"Yes, they were drawn to Okaara by the Light Fountain. Which has never been on Earth."

"But I connected to it to draw the Ophidian to me. She spent months inside my personal lantern. A personal lantern that wasn't in the best condition when I took possession of it." She doesn't look convinced. "And given what else is on Earth, I don't think asking you to take a couple of days to check the place over is all that unreasonable."

"If anything, that would make it less dangerous."

"Really? Because we've got an unusually active magic system and Dream of the Endless was literally trapped on our planet for years."

"Hmmm."

"And once you've checked Earth, you'll be able to say for certain that everywhere else is safe as well. Come on; how often do you get to see a location where one of the Endless was trapped against their will?"

"Maltusians don't dream."

"All Maltusians, or just the ones who used to be Guardians?"

Her eyes narrow. "You know."

"I know that Killala cheated on Dream with the embodiment of Sto-Oa, resulting in the Endless deciding against romantic relationships with mortals. I know that he used to be petty, but I hadn't realised that there was an ongoing penalty for her actions."

"There are Maltusians who don't know about that."

"I don't want to insult your education system, but isn't that somewhat important? Anyway, look, Dream's a lot less vengeful than he used to be. If you want to regain the ability, you might be able to talk him around."

"Regain? I've never had it."

"Alright, gain, then. Hinon, how often does someone your age get a genuinely novel experience?"

She turns away, her right hand waving to send the lantern she just created… Somewhere. I note that she's still wearing John's old ring. "Is this impeding your operational effectiveness?"

"I.. suppose? A little. An entity which may or may not have been called Boss Smiley made certain observations about my cavalier attitude to my own powers, so I've been-."

"You've been cutting down, which is probably exactly what he wanted."

"And I can stop doing that just as soon as you make a site visit." She picks up a device which.. looks a little like a tuning fork. "Hinon, what do you want out of this relationship?"

She half turns back, looking a little distracted. "What?"

"I suggested building a Corps because I thought that was what you wanted. Either.. what a Corps could do for you, or just so you could get one over on your peers. But the Guardians have an ideological attachment to the green light. I never asked if you had one to the orange light. In fact… If anything, I assume that you don't. And yet, you attached yourself to the Orange Central Power Battery."

"Mm. Better me than someone else."

"Is that it? You don't actually want this?"

She puts the tuning fork down and turns back to face me. "Why are you suddenly concerned about it?"

"This is part of what Boss Smiley was saying. I did this to you, a member of a species worshipped in significant parts of this galaxy, an individual whose juniors make new planets to resettle evacuees so often that individual instances aren't considered significant. I'm.. worried that I'm blundering through the universe… And I'd like to stop. Controller Hinon, what do you want? Because if it wasn't this-."

"This is perfectly adequate."

I shrug, shaking my head. "Adequate wouldn't be enough for me, and I don't think it should be for you either."

"How very thoughtful. Are you going to keep this up until I say 'yes'?"

"This isn't about-. Appa Ali Apsa came to Earth once. Just spent a week or so driving around with Lantern Jordan and Mister Queen."

She frowns. "He.. did?"

"Yes. I'm not exactly sure why. I think the official reason was to do an assessment of Earth society, given that Lantern Jordan only got recruited because Lantern Sur was dying and desperate and we didn't have FTL yet. But given what else I know about the Guardians, I can't help but wonder if he was checking up on other things as well."

"Appa is the one Guardian I might genuinely believe would take a holiday." She frowns faintly, her eyes growing slightly distant. Then she sighs. "Very well. Since this is so important to you, I will accompany you back to Earth. And… Test things until your late onset paranoia has been ameliorated."

"Thank you."

"Will Mister Scott be there?"

"Ah… As far as I know. He hasn't.. said anything about leaving Earth."

"I should probably check him over as well."

"You like younger men, do you?"

"I… Beg your pardon?"

"Well… There's nothing wrong with that. You're both single adults, and I'm sure he's a fascinating case study on the results of long term light exposure in a high magic environment."

"Are you implying that I wish to mate with him or that I wish to study him in detail?"

I bend my legs, leaning in slightly. "Is there a difference for a Maltusian?"

"Yes there most certainly-." She stops, frowning more deeply. "Hm. There used to be. I admit that as I am now, a really thorough investigation would most likely represent the most intimate thing I've done since…" She looks up. "Since I checked your tattoos. Yes, that was it."

"Abandoned for an older man." I hold out my right hand. "Do you think your robes will survive a trip through the Honden of Avarice?"

"I suppose we'll find out."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  6. Buggy123

For one of the smartest beings in the universe, that wasn't a very good job at subtlety.

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Have they met?

ChestBurster likes this.
  8. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Intelligence doesn't require Varys level subtlety and tittering.

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I think that should be "deciding".

Mr Zoat likes this.
  10. RichardWhereat

So, is Paul trying to get a Diana/Alan relationship hurriedly reignited by throwing another suitor into the mix?

ChestBurster, Ardy and dxdragon like this.
  11. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Has anyone accused Hinon of subtlety lately?

12. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I was under the impression that Alan wasn’t interested in romantic attachments since his wife died.

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  14. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Also forgot to threadmark

Mr Zoat likes this.
  15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Huh, he almost yelled there. Was the entire second half intended to be Italicised?

...resulting in the Endless deciding against romantic relationships with mortals.
    (Tense mismatch)

Don't forget to mention it occurred inside a virtual space generated by a magical mental reprogramming device... That could be relevant... :rolleyes:

"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong."

Heh. Watch out, Diana, a potential rival appears!

Dammit, Paul, you can't just out and ask that sort of thing! :oops:

Both? Both. Both is good.

Heh, some nice teasing of the eons-old super-scientist. Let's hope this trip doesn't go poorly for her...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  16. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

No thread marks.

17. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat got creative with the Hawks.

The reincarnating Egyptian Princess Hawk Girl was a Thanagarian that crashed on Earth and married into local royalty instead of her husband's cousin as per the comics, so she's a former thanagarian with magical experience, and Zoat made her current incarnation the retconn Hawkwoman Sharon Parker.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn and Twilight666 like this.
  19. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Grayven has the spine Oh El seems to be lacking.

And he was mind raped and took months to recover.

That mere words have affected Oh El so much is ridiculous, unless in Worm terms, there is some Master effect going on?

Can't we have some Bounty Hunter after Oh El or something?

Like Boss Smiley told Lobo that Paul killed Dolphins and have him several hundreds millions in space dough to kill him?

20. RichardWhereat

Man's got a good chance of becoming immortal now. He's going to get interested after some time has passed and that sinks in.

21. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

You know, if you want to be the Vaermina for the Paragon side then all you have to do is say so. There's no need for this run around.

22. Buggy123

Eh, IMO there's a much better argument for OL being overly cautious. He's been transitioning people around everywhere for something like a year, if there were going to be acute symptoms they would've shown up, and another week or two of exposure almost certainly wouldn't make any chronic symptoms substantially worse.

Boss Smiley spoke to him once and he managed to play OL like a violin, and he doesn't even realize it.

23. Mr Zoat

Alan was in his eighties when Rose died.
    Grayven's shaker power is Soul of a New God. It is reasonably well understood by both New Genesis and Apokolips. He knows that it won't do anything he finds abhorant.

The SI's shaker power is entirely novel. No one in the universe knows exactly what it can do. So two weeks after his attention was directly drawn to a potential problem, he's having an expert check things over.
    Boss Smiley doesn't communicate with people like that, and while Lobo would take a contract on the SI there isn't currently anyone in a position to offer him one with the desire to do so.

24. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think this is the most subtle Paul gets this whole conversation, tip toeing around the words "White Light Entity".
    Oh, Earth has a LOT of attractions. It's a cross between a intergalactic carnival and a weapons depot.

Heck, Destruction is semi-retired there. Which... might explain a lot, actually.

Also: Come on; how often do you get to see a location where one of the Endless was trapped against their will?
    Or maybe
    Come on; how often do you get to see a location one of the Endless was trapped against their will at?

You know, that's something I really like about Paul. He doesn't give a flip. He'll name drop someone who less that a hundred living people remember, or tell a story about something that hasn't happened yet. No one even wants to bother calling him on it anymore.

Do you think Paul just wants a way to ask Dream about B.S. being right about the Garden being Earths anchor point to the Realm of Dream?

I love it every time he pulls out this line.

Of course! He wants this, after all.

And the spit take moment. Glorious.
    Thank you for the chapter, Mr. Zoat!

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn and Oglymogly like this.
  26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Probably because Lobo tends to kill those people that contract him, granted in all those cases is because they tried to screw him over, but still.

And is only a matter of time until the Reach puts a contract on him. A contract that Lobo might go after if he needs the money.

27. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

"Apropos of nothing in particular, would you happen to have any recommendations for improving the security of an Embodiment's personal plane?"

28. Akatsunami

Akatsunami The Potatoist.

Actually, we do know that there was some kind of master effect going on, if OL was affected or not is something we are less sure off, but we absolutely know boss smiley was attempting to influence his mind pretty actively.

29. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Doesn't enlightenment mean that even if something is powerful enough to screw with his head, he'd still know it was messed with, yes?
    Real masters of manipulation can jerk you around by saying things that are reasonable and true at just the right moment.

PDV and Vorian like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

It varies. Attempts to compel him to believe that he wants something he doesn't want will flat out fail, rewriting his memory is very difficult and telepathic illusions aren't affected.