1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hm, now I gotta wonder if he will try and follow CS example if he remembers the things he did, or meets him later on.

He is already an incredibly powerful power ring user and if he gets some common sense into him...well enemies beware.

Prince Charon and Alexandercctv like this.
  2. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

It looks very weird from a French point of view.
    I guess it's supposed to be similar to "nom de guerre" (which would probably be what should be used in a French sentence), but transposed to heroism. The problem is that "héroïque" is an adjective, and AFAIK it should be a noun instead for grammatical reasons.
    I would suggest "nom d'héroïsme".

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, 'The Boys'... Where possibly the most powerful person in the setting... Gets set up with a Native American Shaman's costume. Complete with Buckskins, fringes and tassels...

Going from Hollywood Injun to Paramilitary Operative probably wouldn't have had quite the intended message, no...

I see his work with Superduper, dumping ground of sub-par teenage superhumans, has come along nicely.

Hard to pick what you're being compassionate about, isn't it? Sure, the people in danger need help, but so do your charges...

If anyone's wondering, the previous trigger used to be in her anus... And the motion needed? Her former name is 'Stool Shadow'. Take a guess.

Yeah, turning yourself into a puddle isn't going to help people escape a burning building...

So, sort of SWAT Gear with colourful patterns? Much better than their previous spandex.

Good to see professionals at work.

Training you were in charge of, so it couldn't be screwed up. I wouldn't have trusted the corporate guys to train dogs...

A not-particularly-funny in-joke amongst the morons in charge of personas, I bet.

Joy of only having so many hero names to pick from... Both in-universe and in our world.

And I suspect when he comes calling, it's the department's members having involuntary movements...:D

Depends on whether she becomes lighter-than-air when phased, I suppose. If she can levitate while incorporeal, Kitty Pryde style, that radically increases someone's mobility...

I bet he's enjoying the improved control over his powers too...

Very efficient. That probably took all of, what, ten minutes?

I bet it's a real surprise to have useful, actually heroic superheroes involved... Of course, with the help of the most powerful person in the setting, it looks easy...

Yay for optimism. I bet the headlines will read 'Local Supers don't suck!' or something like that. Depends on how long they've been improving, really...

I can understand the concern... That's a dangerous situation for trained professionals...

Hard to break old habits, especially since she's seen them at their worst... She's too close to take in the gradual changes...

Okay, she does reduce gravity effects on her. That's helpful.

I bet that'll play well for the media... Imagine if a photographer got that moment on film... Then again: Power Rings are Awesome.

And it's not just the humans who are important, after all...

Of course, this being an Ennis joint, how long till something fucks it up? Even with Saul's best efforts otherwise...

Heh. Honestly, it's heartening to see things improving...

And then Raul and OL turn up. Things are about to get crazy.

Good to see Saul again. And he's actually managing to improve things? Despite the crapsack nature of the world? Outstanding.

Corrections, Mr Zoat:
    Double space.
    What it was before.
    Missing a full stop.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Imagine the kids seeing Raul and thinking that he is Saul's brother.

Angry uncle Raul anyone.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I neither speak French nor know what an adjective is.
    Thank you, corrected.

6. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Adjectives are such words as orange, blind, insufferable, or heroic. They're modifiers that apply to nouns (eg orange lantern, blind fool, insufferable oaf, heroic effort). And speaking French is easy - just string together French sounding words until you run out of breath; speaking comprehensible, coherent French is a different, harder, problem.

7. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Adjectives are part of a conspiracy called 'grammar', which is a claim that languages are logical, and have a structure anything other than what people made up between them, as they were going along. :)

Don't believe that? Read up on Wittgenstein, and things like his 'Language Game'...

8. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

So given Saul in the Boys universe, what's happening with Billy Butcher and his genocidal plans for supers and dealing with his team after Homelander was dead?

Cuchulin, Navi-Hank and Darko like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Pretty sure it went like it did in the comics

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

Ah, that Paul.

I wonder what happened afterwards? Does she have nightmares about waking up with a Indigo d*** floating above her?

Curious how this all will wrap up. They seem severely outnumbered.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She was probably weirded out and disturbed about the whole thing, but is better now.

Prince Charon and Navi-Hank like this.
  12. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Iirc Saul didn't actually participate that much in the main plot of The Boys, the vast majority of his time was taken up by training his team and helping people, the only thing he's been confirmed to have taken part in was trying to talk down Homelander at the White House

I think Zoat actually mentioned that his only actual interaction with The Boys was when they spent like two months trying to find dirt on him, time he spent alternating between helping his team, fighting crime, healing the sick and feeding the hungry, so when they released all the dirt that they had gathered he actually came out of it with a somewhat improved reputation as the only good cape

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't forget petting stray cats.

14. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Truly the most important part, maybe if Homelander had spent more time petting cats things would've ended differently

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't think it would have been a good idea to bring anything small that can't defend himself near him.

16. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

should be ' need '

I need some more clarification on this. What is the relationship like now with Saul and his people and American Consolidated? Is it just lines of communication? Something more?

With the AC rep nodding at Saul, is that just 'good job', or what? Is AC hoping Saul's slow but steady actual heroism and media presence rehabilitates them somewhat or makes something they can spin?

Back when AC was Voight, they knew Indigo Lantern was the smartest super they had on their books and after all the death and destruction Saul continued as an active hero skating through the negativity that came from Homelander's rebellion. Saul managed to make Superduper viable!

I'm kind of surprised they haven't at least tried to offer Saul a job rebuilding their superhero portfolio. Or would that be a step too far?

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Superheroes are probably still a pretty hotbutton issue right now so them getting more supers to work for them could be very risky.

Their probably still trying to see if Saul's methods can work that well.

Still Saul probably has a great deal of power over them seeing as he is probably the most beloved superhero on the planet now and if he cuts all contact with AC it could be seen as them still being corrupt by the public.

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

If they get Common Sence the crossover will end quite fast.

Jaron, Ardy and Darko like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat does anyone in The Boys universe, like Charlotte or the kids, know that he is from another universe, or has he not told them that much and they just think he somehow has powers without having any Compound V?

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    He is an American Consolidated employee, though his status is such that they can't really refuse any of his requests. Unfortunately, the institutional rot is such that they don't appear to be able to comprehend the reforms he's pushing for and all too often slide back into their old ways.
    He mentioned it to a few people, but after the truth about Compound V became public knowledge they assumed he was lying.

21. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Don't worry, neither does a lot of French people :D

Anyway, I guess that, if it's supposed to be bad French because the character doesn't actually speak it, you succedeed completely! ;)

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  22. aimlessPolymath

aimlessPolymath Getting sticky.

Bobby Badoing not on site?

23. Mr Zoat

Prince Charon, Bramble Thorn and Ardy like this.
  24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Common Sence: Okay if the villain wants to get all these alternate versions of myself, why the heck are we doing the job for him? Whatever he is doing looks complex and delicate, wouldn't it be easier to just sabotage him? Even the freaking Antimonitor during The Crisis Of Infinite Earths got really screwed when his machine was broken.

Red: Oh who gets to do the heroic sacrifice and be gone for a few decades?

Common Sense: There is no need for self sacrifice if we do the sabotage the right way. Krona depends on the Emotional Spectrum, if we can neutralise that he is toast.

Ngamer11, Prince Charon, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Okay so maybe TP is doing Kronas work by bringing the various Paul's together.

If this is true then my theory about him being manipulated by someone else would be true.

Prince Charon likes this.
  26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Or he is actually working with Krona.

Edit: The time is now!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  27. earlyriser

earlyriser Getting sticky.

According to the time stamps its been nearly two years since indigo's last appearance. Superduper seems pretty stable, but does the world treat superheros better or are they still likely to be shouted at in the streets?

Edit: is there ever going to be a parallel that Paul jumps to where his equivalent has already lived a full life or died? Meets his own grandchild or something?

Lupercal, Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  28. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Those are two good reasons to accept Xelloss' feedback and make the suggested change.

29. Threadmarks: Repetition (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

23rd April 2011
    23:03 GMT -5

"…that you could have dealt with any of these problems yourself." My interviewer shrugs. "So the obvious question is: why didn't you?"

"And the obvious answer is: training."

"Training?"

"Yes. Despite the.. former policies of the Superhuman Development Department, superhumans aren't born with an innate knowledge of how to use their powers, much less how to apply them productively. As our.. previous public statements have covered-."

"You leave people in burning houses so you can train?!"

After decades of being able to reliably source obsequious interviewers for things like this, American Consolidated has now.. grudgingly accepted that anyone they put up is going to get harangued. And that that haranguing isn't necessarily bad. Drummer Boy having a bit of a break down after an interviewer went completely off on him actually improved his popularity ratings.

"As part of-."

"You think that anyone who burned to death because you were standing around cares why!?"

I smile, and I wait.

"Well?!"

"You clearly hadn't finished your question when I started speaking. I apologise. I wanted to be sure that you'd asked everything you wanted to ask before I replied to your perfectly reasonable question."

I smile, wait, and raise my eyebrows.

I think I've wrong-footed him, but this isn't about scoring points, at least not in the 'deal with interview' minigame. As in 'Thank You For Smoking', I'm not trying to convince the man opposite me. I'm trying to convince the audience.

Ah. It appears that he had finished.

"As part of a training program which lasts several months, trainee superheroes are taught how to handle themselves in a variety of high-risk situations. That includes burning buildings, a module which is taught by a mixture of former and currently serving fire fighters. After that, we consider them competent to handle a real fire, but… Obviously, it's better if someone who could deal with the fire if it proved more than they could handle is on hand. That is why I try to be there. But, there is only one of me. The objective of the exercise is to train them to handle things when I'm not there."

Not having an ego is… Surprisingly restful. People can be rude to me as much as they want, and I feel… Nothing, aside perhaps from a little pity. Certainly, I'm aware on an intellectual level that the staff has done a number on my mind, but… Aside from that time Charlotte and I went on a date, I really haven't noticed any real drawback.

The morning afterwards was awkward, when I made it clear that I'm literally incapable of giving her what she wants. I suppose that in the very long term I should probably look into doing something about it, but… I'm never the most urgent thing.

"So, what, the millions in property damage and hundreds of people left homeless don't bother you?"

"Objectively, if you live in a building worth millions then, by the standards of the planet at large-."

"Oh, don't give me that bullcrap! I thought you people worked for American Consolidated! It was certainly American lives that were lost when your co-workers tore a hole through Washington!"

"And Russian lives that were lost when the former department manager attempted to carry out a coup in Russia on behalf of the Communist Party."

Goodness only knows why he thought that would work. Honestly, sometimes Stillwell is the perfect corporate sociopath, and then at other time he does the most bizarre things. I do not understand the man.

"And to Stormfront's 'holidays', and… I really don't think that having a 'suffer-off' is a sensible way.. to…"

I stare in dismay as a red-glowing figure wearing my face flies in from the wings.

They told me that they shut down their cloning facilities. If they didn't learn anything from the whole horrible mess with Black Noir then I'm going to be demonstratively upset.

"Good morning."

My voice, my approach, and… That's a red power ring. Is he alright?

I can't see anything wrong with him.

If that's a power ring then he.. can't be a clone of me. If American Consolidated had the ability to make power rings-. If I had the ability to make power rings, things would be very different.

So that's not what's happening. Which leaves-?

He nods. "Parallel uni-."

"Who the fuck are you?! Get the fuck off my fucking st-."

A red cocoon forms around him, cutting off all sound.

"Parallel universe. A few versions of us are trying to stop Krona the Ex-Guardian, and Time Trapper thinks you're what we need. Does this Earth have anything that can help?"

"Not.. that I would want to rely on-."

He grimaces, then glares at my staff.

"Is that thing trying to mind control me?"

I shake my head as I call it over to me, catching it in my right hand as I stand.

"Yes, but it takes a very long time to do anything, and as far as I can tell it's not permanent. Still, if it makes you uncomfortable, simply stay away from it."

Ring, scan for a portal of some sort?

Yes, I've found it.

I wave my staff, and we're floating in the air… On the other side of the country.

3rd May 2011
    10:49 GMT -6

The portal is a red-ringed hole in the air. The Red Lantern glares around, then flies through it. I give him a moment to warn them of my arrival, then drift after him, passing through…

And.. coming out in a crater, construct armour glowing around the Red Lantern's body as he wheels around. Presumably trying to find a target. The clean curve of the crater walls suggest that whatever did this was recent, and.. the artificial placement of patches of stone and metal suggests that there was a building here until recently.

"Red Lantern?"

"What-? Happened? I was only gone-."

Gold lights flash in the air above us, and three men and a woman appear, floating in the air and held aloft by their… Gold power rings? The symbol on their chests is that of the Green Lantern Corps. Gold cages clang into being around us as they raise their rings, then their gold-armoured leader descends to a position a little closer to our levels.

Sinestro peers at my face.

"What are you supposed to be?"

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Oh. Gold as in Yellow.

Oopsie, I guess?