1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Luna said they may have ways to heal broken horns, so maybe there are other way aside from using Harmony.

However while they may be able to heal the horns of unicorns, or the wings of pegasi, healing an Alicorn may be more difficult as they may not know that much about how they work.

Still now that Sunset has already ascended she may be able to learn more about Alicorns and figure out a way to heal them, so maybe Mortalla can be healed.

2. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Makes you wonder how often there are multiverse threatening crises that the POV characters just don’t notice.

Interesting that Grayven chose to bring them as changelings rather than circumventing the mirror.
    Speaking of changlings is he going to go check on the ones he left leaderless? I assume he didn’t genocide the whole hive.

Convenient that his chief science minion couldn’t reconnect with her home and thus will be sticking around longer. Sad, but convenient!

Vorian and Darko like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

You get to pony, you get to pony, everyone gets to pony!
    Probably not.
    She's not a minion. She's at least a lieutenant.

4. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Okay; is Jean gonna to be made the new Queen by the Changelings that are left?

Doccer, dogbertcarroll and Darko like this.
  5. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Doesn't seem likely, unless Grayven does something like take Jean to the de-Queened hive. Doesn't seem likely he'll do that, as she's likely only agreed on a brief-ish visit. Only reason he might do that is if he wants to experiment with acquiring new g-gnomes, 'on the cheap' (i.e. exporting changeling drones back home through the Mirror, so drones hopefully become g-gnomes). But, don't forget 'dietary issues'.

It seems likely that there's both multiple Hives, and that Hives have ways of generating new queens (from Princesses?) if they lose one. If there's multiple Hives, then each is likely hooves-off with each other's drones. That all assumes they work like insects - if there is only one Hive, and it's never split to generate more (the 'accidental magic origin' bit), then things may be different. And, don't forget the 'improved' changelings that are 'free' individuals.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    infinityDivided likes this.
  6. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

In that same line of thought about dietary needs, maybe the mirror gave them the ability to feed on knowledge? Basically a new mutation of changelings more in line with what g-nomes are. After all, I don't think changelings really have any magic but shape changing, and suppression of all magic around their hives. But Jean and company are using their horns like ponys.

7. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

My mind keeps telling me that he is saying "My G Gnomies!!!!", in the same style as "My G boy-ees!"... Which is probably wrong.

8. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Should we worry about Old Man Henderson (Old Mare Henderson?) turning-up and demanding their g-gnomes back? :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat has Saul done some mass healing in other countries aside from America, like when Paul had Jade heal those people in Vietnam and make the land less radioactive?

Can you list some of the other things Saul has done, aside from healing, training his team and trying to reform American Consolidated?

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

They did that green biotic charge thing in the Canterlot Wedding.
    No, because that would require me to write an entire additional story.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Just a few tidbits would be nice.

True Ninja likes this.
  12. Timetech

Timetech Getting some practice in, huh?

Sadly, methinks you underestimate what Zoat puts into even his tiniest snipit.

13. Mr Zoat

Overestimate, really.

Indigo has been working on reforming Vought. His compassion compulsion means that it's almost impossible for him to simply condemn them and leave, and he's well aware of how much damage they could do if they doubled down on their pre-Washington stupidity. So he's been working on his new training program, talking the remaining supers about being decent people and upskilling, and raising his public profile to arm-twist people in American Consolidated into doing what he wants. He used to have a list people could put their names to for healing, then he found out that Vought were controlling who reached the top and... He moved away from that idea.

14. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Under Attack
    By Manhunters

"By the command of Krona, no man escapes the Manhunters."

The large Manhunter has a copy of Red Queen contained within its chest. Violet armours himself and shields our Red Queen while Red, Supergirl and Komand'r immediately move to attack.

Intellectually, I recognise that this automaton is a threat. But.. I.. think that vampire's heart is wearing off already. The only things I was able to ingest were avarice and anger, but the particular flavours of those emotions don't lend themselves to acting in this situation.

"Time Trapper, what are we doing?"

And the ring is no help. Robots don't have hearts. Or blood.

A few fragments of crystal skitter across my environmental shield as the Manhunter begins using its Red Queen to begin breaking this pocket universe apart. That's… Interesting, in the abstract, but I didn't consume that tramp's heart. I can't work up the fear to be personally concerned.

Still… I should try to do something.

The Red Queen in its chassis has a heart. And her despair is palpable.

For Nekron.

Komand'r hits the ground, Supergirl gets shot and the Manhunter begins draining Red's power as I dive forward, construct claws extended. It's a curious mental state which I usually try to avoid: knowing that it is right that a thing dies and that you are obliged to bring that cessation about. The Manhunter doesn't block me as I strike its chest, and my claws cleave easily through its energy shield and armour.

I hear a quiet.. click, and then Red Queen's head explodes. But it doesn't matter. In a universe of this size there's nowhere for her soul to go. My claws turn into reaping hooks as I tear the Manhunter's armour asunder and shove my right hand into Red Queen's corpse.

For Nekron.

"For Nekron."

Violet crystal traps the Manhunter in place and I.. pull back, heart decaying in my grasp. The crystal is already cracking, so I doubt that it will last long. I wonder exactly how tough Glory's blood made me? If they keep sending me hearts…

"Go."

A portal opens next to the spire as another Manhunter drifts through their portal, a shot from its integrated weapon systems hitting my environmental shield and.. not doing much at all.

Bleed them. Take their hearts. Make a ring. Create a Black Queen. Scour all that is and can be and make it silent.

I… Don't… Think that's-.

The others need to leave. I glance back, seeing that Red, Time Trapper, Supergirl and Komand'r are gone. Red Queen is presumably keeping the portal open while Violet is hanging back to… Buy me time?

"Go."

Violet takes my advice with haste, leaving myself and Red Queen to face the two Manhunters. The crystal around the first one fades rapidly with its creator gone so I recreate the reaping hooks and tear through the late Red Queen's corpse and into its chassis. The Manhunters may not be truly alive, but they have substance, they're a proof that life existed. That purpose existed. The first Manhunter comes apart as my blades extend into scythes and bisect its torso, and I catch the upper portion and hurl it at the second.

It.. doesn't reach, instead… Dissolving just before it hits. The second Manhunter then drifts towards me, freeing the space for a third to come through.

"By the command of Krona-"

I bring a construct scythe blade down towards it, and it raises its arms and tries to use its forearm weapons to drain my power. The blade bites into its arm and through, but I could see it wavering-

Local entropy detected.

-as it did so. Perhaps Krona is less skilled in manipulating the black light than the other colours? It certainly appears to function differently to the others.

"-no man escapes the Manhunters."

The stump-armed Manhunter sets its other siphon to try and drain me while it overcharges its shield, a swarm of blue slightly convex squares forming up into a wall between us.

Local entropy detected.

The third is moving slowly towards Red Queen. She points her left hand at it and blue-black lines briefly connect them, the Manhunter's armour twisting and warping both front and back as they pass through it.

Another scythe swing and the wall bends, feedback from my construct reporting that it was varying in composition and texture in an active attempt to discover some way to block my assault. I generate a boar spear construct and ram it into the barrier as well. It's clearly stressed, but given Krona's age and experience… I don't use constructs anything as much as the non-black versions of me appear to.

But there's still a heart in that chest.

The barrier only protects the Manhunter's front arc. Flying around the stressed shield and tearing into the Manhunter's head with goddess blood-enhanced strength is a matter of simplicity. The outer part is relatively weakly armoured, but my new strength shears the collar bone reinforcement with little more difficulty. The central processor is there and the internal armour is nothing like as strong as the force field. I'm still losing power, but it-.

The barrier drops, my constructs slice into the Manhunter's body and a black bolt blasts from its siphon and strikes Red Queen in the head. She drops at once, armour and flesh stripped from her skull and the portal undulates. The Manhunter she attacked opens its chest compartment and the Red Queen inside dives through-.

I fire energy pulses and score a hit before she makes it through. The portal is already destabilising from this side-.

I tear off my ring finger and send it flying for the portal. It.. just gets through before the portal collapses.

Huh.

I've never been entirely sure whether my consciousness was stored on my ring or not. I assumed not, because I'm essentially an unusual demon-free vampire and vampires demonstrably think with their brains.

I don't think I'd have bothered doing that before I became a Black Lantern. I'd value my continuity too much. As far as I was concerned, if the thing that kept going wasn't this me then why bother? Now I can barely work up the enthusiasm to keep this me going.

I wonder if my new instance will remember this?

The Manhunter that just lost its Red Queen shimmer and decays into dust, and.. as I look around I see that most of this pocket universe has gone the same way.

Hardened nails bared I tear into the damaged but still functional Manhunter that I'm perched on. It's slow going, but between my vampire-.

The Manhunter's hand closes around me and lifts, pulling me free of its damaged torso. Darn, didn't get the core or the Red Queen. If I'd gotten her blood I might have been-.

Guuugh
    Ughaaaa

Black Lantern re-instanced. Power level one point one percent.

My eyes open.

Oh.

I appear to have retained all memories up until the moment of my brain's destruction. That… Would probably be uplifting if I could feel uplifted.

And… I'm in a.. storage… Not a tent. The material says 'portacabin' but the metal armour says 'secure storage'. The others should have noticed my body regrowing. That's rather-.

"…one other ring, attached to a severed finger."

"Thank you. I'll-" There's a clank as the fortified door unlocks. "Take a look." The door swings open. "What color-?"

A woman in the gold and black uniform sees me, and her power ring flares.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  15. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Avarice seems to be missing some colour...

16. Mr Zoat

He's running out.

17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So Black reinstantiated via the ring and Red Queen Prime is dead? Damn, why didn't she go first? Her powers are important.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well, this was a concerning look into Zauls mindset.

19. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

20. Mr Zoat

She was both maintaining the escape portal and suppressing the Manhunters' ability to make more entry portals.

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, we find out what happened to Zaul? Interesting, and I expect it's pertinent to the situation Raul and Saul dropped neck-deep into.

Well, Anger might, but the last trickle of Avarice won't help much.

Not great, either for a Black Lantern or a Vampire...

Oh, dear. Motivation without emotion? Pure rational logic? This could get messy.

...[Concern] I do hope that's just the Ring goading him into action...

Time to Nom!

Oh, it's a good thing no-one heard that in the clamour of combat...

I'm betting the energy is simply being dissipated by the shield, not consumed...

Yeah, Zaul, that's not a voice you want to be listening to..

Seriously, OL. Zaul can handle himself...

Rip and Tear! Doomguy would be proud.

Presumably because it had no living battery to stabilise it. The whole purpose of the Jades they're using, If I remember the earlier chapter.

Damn annoying energy leeching ability. Too bad its' trying to drain the absence of anything it normally works on...

As long as it doesn't divide by zero, you'll be fine.

Suggesting that by trying to absorb the light of unlife, it's basically causing itself to lose energy. Hah!

It'd be hard to, given the way your ring charges...

I bet that boost'll come in handy while it lasts...

So, she hopped from the freshly killed incarnation to the one Zaul just freed? Giving Causality the middle finger! Or is this one going to be a sleeper agent for Krona in their midst?

And since Blacks can regenerate from the ring out... This one is now a backup copy...

It's likely a bit of both. The brain does the processing, while the ring is the RAM.

Good question...

And so ends Zaul 1.0. Now, onto to Zaul 1.0.1.

Well, I suppose that helps with his thanatophobia...

Yay for you. You've got your own kind of immortality going on. Too bad it's linked to Nekron's un-life support...

Achievement Unlocked: Wake up in the Morgue... Again.

Ah, someone knows the prophecy of the Book of Oa... Or she's just surprised to see someone in an empty room.

Well. That happened. I can only hope the Red Queen that got through the portal has similar goals to the one that got wasted. Otherwise, they got a mole!

22. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

No, she dived through the portal before it collapsed, we saw it both here and from the other side a few days ago, remember?
    Edit: No, wait, I see what you're talking about, I missed that it wasn't Prime Red Queen.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So just to be clear the version of RQ that was in the robot escaped through the portal?

If this is true then Krona could have some way to track them.

Yeah if the crater Raul and Saul find themselves in is any indication then he may be able to track them through her.

24. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

"It's because it's black, isn't it?"

//Sorry, sorry.

25. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

1. I think the crater was made by the Gold Lanterns, is my assumption...though unclear.
    2. I suspect that RQ who was in the manhunter is either trackable, or was a spy (or both), who took the opportunity to replace the RQ who was holding the portal open, as the folks on the other side of the portal didn't know she wasn't RQ prime, and she neglected to say. I kinda assumed the RQs in the manhunters were wearing different armor, but I realize that was not specified one way or the other.

Cuchulin, Navi-Hank and Darko like this.
  26. Birdsie

Birdsie Making the rounds.

That's such a Paul thing to say. I can't stop laughing at the mere idea.

27. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Did the Gold Lanterns not bother talking to anyone before they attacked?

Darko likes this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Pretty sure they didn't attack anyone.

Raul and Saul just showed up in a crater and had power rings on them and Zaul just showed up in what is probably a secure base where they thought there was just a ring.

Sinestro and his cohorts just detained Raul and Saul, but didn't attack them, and while this Gold Lanterns ring did flare it is possible she won't attack him, but is just preparing to if he initiates hostilities.

29. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

....they're just like the survivors from the dead-timeline iteration of the legion being lead by that idiot brainiac iteration who simultaneously acknowledged they were on the verge of being erased whilst keeping a lantern corps illustreess imprisoned for..prettymuch no reason when they desperately needed any help they could get- fucking face-punchers with a WIS of 2 who's default is "scary thing, punch it!",regardless of their INT, aren't they?
    ... maybe im being a little pessimistic about potential sources of delays/conflict? i mean, given that common sense is a game-breaking superpower in-setting,defaulting to expecting a "lets you and him fight" scenario that gets -everyone- captured by the immortal idiot isnt that........

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Lupercal and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Gughhh.

If the Gold Lantern Corp is stupid and attacked the Pauls then I hope the SI summons all of the Orange Rings from Okarra (it has to exist with a Larfleeze in some univsere). Instant Lantern Corp get.

Slapping down Sinestro is always the right thing to do.

Cuchulin likes this.