1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Eh, an empty ring in exchange for not hobbling a mostly stable group of powerful allies isnt a bad deal.

2. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I’m pretty sure he’s used the phrase to refer to it before in Earth 12. Plus, like he said, he doesn’t care which ring it is as long as i’ts functional. Though a replica does mean it’s likely that it contains tracking or malware.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Guardians try to portray themselves as being beings that care about logic and order over petty emotions.

Maybe this version of them really do live up to that, at least from time to time.

Maybe Larfleeze doesn't exist in this universe, so they don't have to fear another one of him coming about and so have to inclination to keep a power ring stolen from someone without a good reason.

Yeah Peter feared that he could summon him to Earth if he used his ring too much, but he could have just been worried because Larfleeze exists in the comics, but may not exist in the Earth 12 universe and he just didn't confirm it.

Maybe make it 'the ring' , because of that whole 'can't call the ring ring I came here with ''my ring'' thing'

My bet is either a tracker, a monitor, or they destroyed its ability to absorb any energy.

JoTa34, Relyt33, Gilhelmi and 9 others like this.
  4. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Mr Zoat could have made a mistake again, but well caught.

Gilhelmi, Ardy, Wheenesss and 3 others like this.
  5. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

of -> or

6. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I doubt they could make an orange ring, considering what goes into making a green ring for them.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ganthlet was able to make a blue ring, so it's possible to make a ring of another color.

It may be more difficult to make an orange ring, but it may be possible to do it.

8. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

WHAT?! WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?! I think I'm getting a slight sense of broken suspension of disbelief or something. Did the Guardians really returned it just like that? Who hit them with the Common Sense interrupt button?

Godsdamn it, now I want to see how the discussion between the Guardians went, or how John Stewart sent the request/explanation for the Ring to be returned. This is... this is... I see it, but I don't know what this is. I'm laughing though, this is so weird, but I guess a good weird if it does resolve the Cold War between Peter and the Justice League.

boo600, ChestBurster, JoTa34 and 6 others like this.
  9. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

He's okay with Eiling having super weapons? That guy gave me the creeps even without knowing about Cadmus screw ups.

And does Peter not remember Cadmus? I hope he is at least planning to subvert and infiltrate them or something and that's why he wants the ring back?

10. Hidden Variable

Hidden Variable Know what you're doing yet?

Perhaps they thought about what the former owner would do to get it back? The only other functional example of a Orange lantern power ring belongs to the agent orange. As it doesn’t have power, and thus isn’t a threat to the Guardians, the logic there is understandable... Well, understandable if the Guardians of Earth-12 can fit other sentients propensity for emotion into their decision. Also considering this is the JL Cartoon version of the Guardians, they are likely a good deal nicer than the... Official Guardians? Comics Guardians? Whatever, you hopefully know what I mean.

Or it could be a heavily bugged and monitored replica. But as Peter isn’t inclined to use it most of the time, even that is mostly acceptable.

Edit: Actually, hold up... Agent orange may not even exist... The cartoon universe is a good deal less dark than the comics version, the most relevant example is that the manhunters never massacred sector 666. Huh... Does this mean that the Guardians aren’t amoral pseudo-villains in this universe? Weird...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    As a US Army General, Eiling has nuclear weapons.

12. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

He's either been put on Temporary Leave for petty theft, or thrown in a Science Cell.

Either way, John's going to be glaring daggers at Batman for a good while, isn't he?

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's probably not okay with it, but knows he can't really stop him from using other ways aside from him to get them.

The various versions lose the knowledge they have of the setting they are in, so Peter doesn't remember the cartoon version of Cadmus, which is how I think most people first find out about them.

He may also not really remember the comic version because he lacks the perfect memory the ring gives.

He may just try to make Cadmus less evil and more competent.

His ring also lacks a charge and he has no way to recharge it, so it really wouldn't help him with dealing with Cadmus.

14. yingyang590

yingyang590 Getting out there.

The phrase is "knuckles rapped" right?

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That or he's been relegated to the GLC equivalent of traffic duty.

John: Sir, may I please see your space ship license.

Space Cabby: Of course officer!

It's also doubtful Batman would care that he's glaring at him.

Because he's BATMAN!

16. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Agreed! That is by far the hardest part of this chapter to swallow.

boo600, ChestBurster, Istaran and 6 others like this.
  17. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

Huh. Someone passed several SAN checks in a row right there!

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

This guy... This fucking guy... This is a man who should be nowhere near the power he's managed to accumulate... And if you think the DCAU version is unique, look up his comic counterpart.

I can already see friction. Eiling will have heard of Peter before. If only because of the whole 'hires supervillains' thing...

Yep, there it is. He's instantly pegging Peter as a 'disruptive element', possibly a 'limey hippy pinko' too...

Short, dismissive. Yeah, you can tell he's not sure what to make of Peter.

Well, I suppose he's happy about being less reliant on foreign imports. Puts his country in a much more independent position.

More than likely a promise he made to Ted Knight or his descendants, that the Cosmic generator tech wouldn't be used for war.

I hardly think Peter needs more money, other than to further his goals of uplift. And that won't help much if some warhawk decides the rest of humanity doesn't need to exist...

Yeah, shows you what he thinks of 'those damn fool foreigners.' The worst kind of patriot, probably thinks the Government can do no wrong by virtue of being the Government... Unless he's decided that the Government is full of 'pinkos, hippies and traitors to Amurrica!'

Yes, which is why Ted doesn't want it used for that ever again. Superhero work, okay, but war? No.

o_O Yes, totally the type of person you want in charge of your government super-soldier programs...

Those would be their patents. If you want to get your hands on them, take it up with them.

Yeah, some of these guys, you don't want backsliding...

And being criminals, former or not, clearly taints them with original sin in his eyes. I bet if Eiling had his way, every one of them would be in front of a firing squad... Once they'd turned all their designs and theory over to the proper authorities, namely him.

Oh, I can just picture the shit-eating grin he has right now, internally at least. The thought of the League in trouble with a 'normal' guy, even a Brit...

Good lord, how does he not have orange in his speech right now (besides the fact Peter doesn't have empathic vision, anyway...) He must be salivating inside at the thought of being able to get dirt on the League.

And now Peter's back to being an enemy, either for possibly funding League operations or because of what he knows... Peter better watch his back...

Well, his default expressions seems to be variants of a disapproving frown. I doubt he's had much to smile about since the Thanagarian Invasion, at the minimum.

Well, some things just aren't done, you know. He is British. He doesn't have the same in-grained belief in the 'lone man fighting injustice' that Americans do...

Not said: "Especially if I'm in charge of making sure they know who and what they ought to be fighting for. Namely, me."

Before anyone asks: Posse Comitatus Act. American military forces can't be employed as Law Enforcement on American soil without Congressional approval. Naturally, this doesn't apply to National Guard, which are more auxiliaries. But mobilizing them without good reason can get you in trouble.

Suuure you do. Admittedly, the DCAU Royal Flush Gang was a hell of a shitshow... Poor Ace.

Kyle Rayner. A rare appearance by the DCAU's less-well known Lantern. I bet John Stewart really didn't want to do this...

Probably the same thing most conventional weapons do to a Lantern with his shields up: Stuff and All. At most, they'll knock him around. Also, you're an asshole for suggesting it.

Good show of a stiff upper lip, Peter. Try not to crow about what's about to happen too much the next time you run into Batman...

Holy hell, he actually has Common Sense? No wonder he became a White Lantern in the comics!

But still a little bit gullible. No ring scan to compare it to previous logs from John Stewart? Unless he did so off-screen...

Suuuuure. Man, to have been a fly on the wall in that session of the Guardian council.

Probably a minor disciplinary note on his record. Guardians, after all.

I hope he plans to crack it open when he gets home, check the charge level. I doubt they bothered to charge it up, but you never know. If only to place their own tracking programs and malware on it...

The threat is still there if any of them poke their nose into his business without being asked again, I trust. I foresee an amusingly discreet conversation with Bruce Wayne somewhere down the line.

Huh, so in the end, Peter gets what he wanted. Not that he needs it anymore. I doubt the League's opinion of him will have changed any after this, though. Batman will probably keep his usual paranoid eye on him for a while, that's for sure. If only to prevent him going Sinestro on them.

19. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

Bruce mentioned that Derek Powers straight up fired Lucius once he became CEO of the then new Wayne-Powers. After which Lucius went on to create his own company Foxtecha, which became one of Wayne-Powers biggest competitors.

20. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

so why cant mc say "my ring" again?

moralrelativity likes this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He was able to work with Luthor, a criminal.

The Guardians could just alter the records.

Or something a bit more serious, in case they want their Lanterns to know that they can't break laws.

I doubt he'd be able to do that.

Yeah he has some advanced minds working for him, but a power ring is something else, so detecting the any malware placed by a hyper advanced race is a exercise in futility.

They also don't really have a reason to charge it up.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul was able to say it after Hinon removed the restriction on him.

As to why he couldn't do it in the first place I have no idea.

Peter hasn't had the restriction removed.

23. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

General Eiling is a guy that even Thunder Bolt Ross would say goes way to far. He is the sort that watches the movie Doctor Strange Love and thinks General Ripper didn't go far enough.

24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

AMAZO was able to replicate Stewart's green lantern ring with a mere glance.

If Peter had hired Ivo Peter could have mass produced power rings.

How AMAZO's nanites were able to not only replicate a green lantern ring but it's charge, well don't ask me. lol

25. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

It hasn't been removed because it was never there. Wynne demanded the Justice League give "my ring" back in an earlier chapter.

26. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

It was pointed out and Zoat fixed it later.

If you have the exact update then Zoat would likely appreciate the information as he would fix it.

27. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Is quite possible that without using the ring regularly and with the ring having zero power the brainwashing didn't stick.

I guess Hinon never thought whoever got the ring wouldn't use it regularly or not steal a battery for it.

28. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

This is... practically unprecedented. Somebody pinch me.

Finerc, Cuchulin, Gilhelmi and 7 others like this.
  29. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

No reference to it has ever been done in the DCAU, and the only issue Captain Atom had with being transferred to Project Cadmus was being forced to fight the Justice League.

For all Eiling's faults, the soldiers under his command never had any loyalty issues, same with Galatea(well, whenever Kara wasn't around anyway) and for all that they were lied to about their origins even the Ultimen were generally treated well. Other then Waller coming down hard on Milo for repeatedly failing his task(perfecting splicing, which to be fair didn't get done until the late 2030s so you cant say it wasn't a difficult task), mistreating it's personal wasn't ever one of Cadmus's sins.

30. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

'That was', I believe.