1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I remember that in the comics he used his arrow to travel to the home of his gods, but I don't remember if it's the same.

Technically Old God magic, seeing as Tao was blessed by Old Gods.

If Robin is like his mentor then he may refuse any modifications, even if he can see the benefits they provide.

He may still be trying to emulate his mentor, and unlike canon Robin this one didn't exactly start being worried what becoming Batman may really be like, seeing as the telepathy training was broken pretty early by renegade in this story.

2. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Gutter verb. (intr) (of a flame) to flicker and be about to go out.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Like this
    Frances Kane.
    Thank you, corrected.

4. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Fuck's sake. Give her some privacy.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Guess that answers the question of whether Paragon has any chance assaulting the Sheeda's future.

Specifically with the answer of "no".

DAT_NOOB and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the dark times of the far future, where there is only war! crazy not-elves and a vampiric sun.

Oooh, that's not good. Let's hope our lovely little one survives this trip...

And I don't think she can follow Just Cause rules and fire a grapple arrow to hit the ground faster. Or maybe she can, being a New God and all.

At least you know you aren't heading for one. Not enough fire and brimstone below.

Activating a New God artifact by quoting the Beatles. Not the strangest musical relation between DC and Apokalips. What with the song of the Life Equation apparently being a Queen song...

A useful bat-family creation? I suppose with all the rooftop lurking they do, there's a need for a way to make safe landings.

Artemis gets a 9 for her landing. Grayven.. a 5.

Timey-wimey bullshit, for a start.

And one thing you don't want in a fight like that is surprises. Especially on the part of the enemy.

Considering how deep his love for Venus and his kids was, you don't get over that shit anytime this lifetime...

Especially since time itself got tweaked a little while back, not that Grayven would know that. At best, Sivana might have made a timeline where they survive.

Great, trapped in the distant future with no rings, no mother box and only what gear he was carrying when he got slimed. He is in for a fun time.

Kane... Volcana? <sees Mr Zoat's link> Ah, yes. Honestly, I need to reread more one of these days. Too many other fics to read. (Taylor Varga first amongst them.)

Ah, the Sheeda Kudzu? So this is a Witchworld-Earth where Melmoth's plan went off as he intended.

Flip a coin, you've only got 4 billion years to work with in one direction (or you'd end up in the pre-Solar nebula.)

Or something worse... I wonder, what could Turn a Sun?

Given that they aren't being boiled in their own skin or steam-blasted by atmospheric gasses, something is up.

Positively chilly. You'd definitely be wanting a jumper. That's a sweater, for you yanks.

Hardly the most worthwhile of enterprises. By this era, humanity should cover half a galaxy at least.

Yeah, by this era you'd expect ludicrous technology. Stuff we couldn't even imagine today, except maybe as magic.

Yes, if it were meant to be doing that. Something is fucking with local entropy then.

o_O So whatever the Vampire Sun the Sheeda mentioned is, it causes technology and complex materials to age and deteriorate far more rapidly than should be possible. Madness.

Let's hope she counts as alive enough to not be affected too destructively.

What few things there are tend to be quite a bit more obvious than whatever is happening here. I would be very worried about any living thing running around out there.

Good grief. It's like the more advanced it is, the more hungrily it gets devoured. This makes the Sheeda make more and more sense...

You might have hit the nail on the head. Something unnatural is going on in this era, and it looks very unpleasant...

So much for the pointy sticks. Unless she can repurpose something local for ammunition, she's going to be running hand-to-hand... Ironically, making her more like her comics self, Tigress.

Ah, right of conquest. Taking the other guy's stuff by force. Presumably, the resistance is due to their gear being imbued with their Godliness. I hope Artemis is wearing New God armour too, or this could get a lot less G-rated soon.

And so begins Grayven and Artemis' whirlwind tour through the Sheeda lands. I fully expect they'll run into company in the next chapter or two, given their arrival would not have gone unnoticed. And then we can get a better idea of where and when the fuck they are...

Godspeech:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hm. Could it be that there is a chiken and egg situation here?

If that entropic effect came before the Sun changed etc. then maybe the Sheeda are not as far in the future as we thought?

It might be that all of Sheeda culture and technology is formed from this one phenomenon

It would be very informative to learn if FTL methods work within it's effects, because that wouild explain why the Sheeda don't just simply leave.

Unless of course it's galaxy wide or even universe wide.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ehh, bith the 40k universe and this future share a lot in common.

That was the most beautiful moment witnessed in comics.

No, Artemis 10, renegade 3.

Think this is just regular Earth in the future.

Well suns may be sapient in Earth 16 like they were in the comics so maybe the sun went evil.

No not madness, magic.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Melmoth kinda gave an answer as to why they don't just leave with a spaceship.

They don't want to.

He said that they were sadistic and evil and they engage in Harrowings since it allows them to get resources and still lets them stay evil.

They could have just went to an era that did have space travel, like the 31st century, and taken a ship from there and then go to another planet, but they didn't since then they would have to change and stop being evil, which they don''t want to do.

10. QuiescentQueste

QuiescentQueste Not too sore, are you?

I'm rather amused that Artemis is using Artemiz' bow.

11. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Or maybe some enterprising vampire managed to Turn the sun's personification while they were distracted or something.

12. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I guess that kinda makes sense, from a vampire's perspective? Maybe a vampire wouldn't burn in the vampire sun.

13. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Oh god. I have a stupid idea for what the vampire sun is.
    All the magitech industry and space shit in the future killed Gaia at some point.
    And Sol is pissed. So his gaze is now malevolent.

14. Agent Orange

I have a stupider idea about what's going on! Forget the vampire that bit Sol. Forget the curse. This is completely natural. This is what happens with every sun as they near their end. Solar personification is a very old person, one that doesn't understand or like these new gadgets and does the equivalent of yelling at the kids to get of his lawn (Earth)! This manifest as the vampiric/entropic yet strangely specialized effect we see here.

15. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Wait... Is the reason we got those weird JSDF chapters because that's the only place that Paragon could have become stuck in at the moment in time that Renegade now finds himself in?

Otto von Saurion and DAT_NOOB like this.
  16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Hmm, if one wants to come up with explanations for the vampire sun, the Parliament of Fire lives in the Sun according to Swamp Thing.

Maybe the Parliament of Flames is very upset for some reason....

edit-
    Maybe here, but not too likely in the comics.

In the comics, Gaia is not just a god, but literally the soul of the planet. So as long as there's a rock hurtling through space I would expect her to still be alive.

17. Agent Orange

And here we thought that sun is a person.

18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I wouldn't think those two are mutually exclusive.

19. Agent Orange

20. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Shouldn't anyone who does "wholeness rightly assumed" on a regular basis and/or dislikes the part of aging where your movements become more cumbersome, your body less pretty and your joints hurt automatically achieve eternal youth? Because age is just your bodily functions decaying. And that sounds like something one fixes automatically if one has the ability to do it by dedicating less time in the morning than one usually does to brush one's teeth.

Gantradies, Istaran, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  21. Agent Orange

They are upset because they are the only ones that weren't invited to the Parliament of Earth. Even that Mycos guy was invited and nobody even likes him (and he reeks of decay).
    This mess is the clear case of 'Am I a joke to you!?' tantrum.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh, no, Zoat just showed us those two chapters because for the last several episodes he's been showing us what some alternates Paul's are doing when he's starting a new episode and ending it, and I guess he wanted to show us a future version of Paragon.

Paragon is now back in Earth 16 about a month after they left.

Well if they developed some kind of advanced magi tech it just might be possible to kill Gaia, even in the comics.

It might be a person and it's just letting the rest of the Parliament use it's home as a base of operations for all Earth related fire business.

23. Agent Orange

Lanterns don't brush their teeth, silly. Environmental shields are awesome!

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In order for an orange ring to extend a persons lifespan the user of the ring needs to want to have their lifespan extended, the ring can't do anything unless the person wants it.

Dox may just not want to live forever.

25. Agent Orange

Or 'natural lifespan' is one of those conceptually fixed traits so Dox could be physically in his prime and perfectly healthy and still drop dead when he exceeds his 'expiration date'. Remember that this is the universe where 'time' and 'age' are Liquid Assets and No Immortal Inertia is a thing. You can cheat time/ageing via magic (or space magic in case of power rings) but the moment your 'cheat' is turned off (for whatever reason) time/age tend to catch up on you superfast.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't know if you're joking or not, but I'm fairly confident that if an orange ring user who has used their ring to extend their life isn't going to see all those years catch up to him and kill him the moment he loses his ring.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Agent Orange

Hey it worked on Black Adam. But I guess space magic could trump divine magic when it comes to life extension. Besides, we saw this trope played straight with Alan Scott.

edit: also, we're on page 1000! Are there any prizes?

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Teth in this fic does appear as a middle aged man when he transforms into an ordinary human.

Alan also isn't your standard mortal Lantern anymore, but he's more like an elemental, so he's a bit different.

29. Agent Orange

And Paul is a freak of nature/abomination who was never a 'standard mortal Lantern', what's your point? Should we take Paul as standard for Orange Lantern's abilities?

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, but other Lanterns are more like the standard for your average ring user, so they should be able to live after losing their rings, even if they used them to extend their lives.

Cuchulin and DAT_NOOB like this.