1. The Seventh Rule:
    Threads that have been dormant for 1 month are considered dead threads. IF you make a post to a dead thread, it must be a significant contribution; story update, new information on current events, new activity for games elsewhere, etc. Asking if a story or quest is dead or will be continued does not count.
    Brought to you by your oppressive neighborhood ⑨
    Dismiss Notice
  2. After some discussion backstage, I have altered Rule 2 a bit to clarify its function. Please check it out in the Rules post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. After repeated requests and a backstage conversation, I will shortly be implementing an Index subforum in each of the Q&R forums and the NSFW CW forum. Our mods have agreed to do the dirty work of moving said threads, which will be done over the next day or three.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Alerts on thread OP posting are now enabled.
    Dismiss Notice

Worm Ideas thread

Discussion in 'CW Index' started by Prince Charon, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Waerloga

Waerloga TropeCo CEO

To an observer, it would have seemed that he was... not sane, but rational. Danny acted like he knew what he was doing. In reality, it was somewhat different. The depressed stupor he had been in for the first few weeks was gone, but he wasn´t quite capable of long-term thought. He would stop in the middle of something that made sense in situational context and wonder what he was doing. That was how he found himself outside of an E88 storehouse, wearing a mask and clutching a flare gun.

As the head of the Dockworkerś Association, Danny had always known one or two people in or involved with one of Brockton Bay´s many gangs. He´d never liked it, but it was simply a sad fact of the city´s economy. However, he´d been warned more than once of some places to avoid, the places where gangs hung out or kept contraband. The exact location, of course, they were never able to divulge, but Danny had figured it out fairly easily. So he spent a week preparing. Buying a weapon legally was, of course, right out. Anything that required entering his face into a database wasn´t safe for what he planned to do. Instead, he bought a new laptop, signed up for a new credit card, and made as many purchases as he could from sporting goods stores and hunting sites, without attracting too much attention. It was mostly innocuous, but he made sure to use a new location for each purchase. It wasn´t a good long-term plan by any means, but he hadn´t thought that far ahead.

In the end, he had a balaclava, a flare gun, a vest with pockets that he intended to fill with actual weapons, when he could find them, and a two-way radio. Not that there was anyone for him to talk to, these days. He was crouched outside of the warehouse, holding the flare gun and feeling confused. He shook his masked head and moved. Moving felt safer than stopping, now. Once he was in action he only had to worry about what he was going to do next, not what had happened before.
    It took three attempts to break down the door, but he thought he had been fairly quiet, and it was a large warehouse. From three days of careful, discreet observation, he'd gathered that they moved shifts every hour, and only three guards were inside at any given time. Upon entering, he glanced around quick;y to make sure that no-one had seen him enter. He'd forced open the back door, but you never knew.
    The warehouse was larger than Danny had expected, from the inside. It reminded him strangely of the warehouse area of an IKEA, with the long walls of boxes, though there were only three rows here. He crept inside, holding the gun ready. Peering cautiously around the corner of one of the long rows of boxes, he sighted the three guards, two sitting at a table at the other end of the building, and one leaning against the wall. All three were armed. Danny moved as silently as he could, his heart surprisingly still. None of this felt quite real, but not in the sense that he couldn't believe he was doing it. It was merely a sense of detachment, the same sense he'd had since he got the news.When he reached the last row of crates, Danny began to tiptoe down, pressed against the wall to conceal himself. The table where the two guards sat was on the other side of the building, and the man leaning against the wall was close to them, but he had a clear shot. Flare guns weren't traditionally used as weapons, or even design so, but they had enough power to put someone down. Planes had been crashed when hit by one, though he suspected that this particular model wouldn't have that much power. He raised it, stepped out from behind his cover, aimed for a tense half-second, and squeezed the trigger. There was a defining noise, and a searing bright light. With a last conscious thought before some lizard hindbrain kicked in, he remembered to get back behind cover. By the time his ears had stopped ringing, and his eyes had recovered, there were two men standing, automatic weapons hefted, one staring at the body of their dead comrade.

It wasn't Danny's first kill. Just after the bombings, Danny had been wandering the streets in a daze. He was on leave from work, and sitting at home brought back too many bad memories. So he had been walking, when he saw a mugging in progress. His anger at the deaths caused by gangs in the city aside, he would have likely moved on, had he not seen the tattoo on the arm of the gang member. E88 was fond of tattoos, but that one in particular he recognized. He'd turned men with that tattoo away from the Docks too many times. It signified that you were a full member of the Empire. And that meant you had killed a minority. So, taken by some primal anger that he hadn't known he possessed, he had wrenched the gun from the man's hand, shot him, and fled. It was about then when the plan had begun to solidify in his mind.

Now that Danny had a better look at the men he was going to kill, he noticed that they, too, were sporting the tattoo. He would have killed them irregardless, but it was somehow good to know that someone's death had been avenged by his actions. The next two were going to be harder, as they were better armed, and on guard now. Danny, taking care not to make a sound, crept back further up the aisle of boxes, and unsheathed his knife. Using it as a makeshift crowbar, he pried open a box on the lowest level of shelves, to find what looked like an automatic pistol. He dropped the flare gun, which was now empty, and riffled with his new weapon for a moment, making sure it was loaded and the safety was off. He moved position, to the middle row, and opened fire, spraying the men with bullets. He had been firing from a distance, with most of his body hidden by the shelf, so he was unsure of his accuracy, as he had to duck back behind cover as they retaliated. Danny pulled another crate off of a shelf, letting the contents spill across the floor. He didn't recognize any of it, and he didn't want to accidentally pull the pin on a grenade, so he simply fired again. This time, he had a split second before the bullets started flying. Both men had survived his initial assault, but one clutched a grazed shoulder. His second strike, conversely, hit his marks squarely in the chest.

Once he had assured that they wouldn't get back up, with the help of two more rounds to the head, he set to work finding things he could carry. He hadn't brought a bag, which seemed like a mistake in retrospect, so he took only what could be concealed in his vest or elsewhere. In the end, he had the contents of the thugs' wallets, several small firearms, and one automatic rifle, which he planned to carry by hiding it in his shirt. Thankfully, his car was nearby, or else he'd have to bring it all on a bus. He'd hoped there would be more cash, but keeping it near to grunts who likely only joined for the cash was probably a dumb move.
    When Danny returned home, he didn't stop to rest. He took his spoils and brought them into the small portion of Taylor's room where he'd been hiding his gear. He sorted it carefully, stacking the clothes in one area and the weapons in another, After he was finished, he slid the armor out of its position, and examined it. It had been made to fit Taylor, but with a little cutting he could use the incredibly strong spider silk as body armor, to cover his most vulnerable areas. It was all he had left of his daughter, but if he used it to make him more effective at what he was doing, honoring her memory by cleansing her city, than it would be worth it.

The next day, Danny had a visitor. He was working on the armor when a knock came on his door. After he'd shot the mugger he'd asked Kurt, Lacey, and the rest to leave him alone, so it was likely someone from work, but he diligently hid the armor anyways. Better safe than sorry. When he opened the door, he saw someone he didn't expect to. A young woman, maybe seventeen, with blonde hair. Someone he recognized. It might have showed on his face, as she looked eminently surprised to see him, despite having knocked on his door. "Lisa?"

"Danny! Hi!" She had recovered from her shock at seeing him quickly, but she looked different than he had last seen her. She was wearing her hair differently, and looked like she hadn't seen a shower in a while. "Come in," he said, feeling slightly self-conscious at his appearance. He hadn't shaved in a while, and there were bags under his eyes, as well as callouses on his hands, which he suspected were from clutching the guns too tightly as he trained himself to shoot. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"Tea would be amazing, thanks," she said. She sat down on his couch, but didn't seem to relax. He put the tea on and came into the living room, sitting across from her. She looked like she was about to speak, but he cut her off. "I know who Taylor was. Since you're probably not a cross-dresser in costume, I'm going to assume you're the one they called Tattletale?" She seemed unsurpassed by his accusation, which surprised Danny somewhat. "Yes. After the... after what happened with Bakuda, everyone thought I was dead, and I preferred for it to stay that way. My former employer, Coil, wasn't the greatest of bosses, and I took the opportunity to escape when I saw it. Which brought me to here. I saw you on the news the other night, or at least what you did. It took me a while to figure out that it was you, but... I want to help."

"What makes you think you can help?"

"My power. I know things. But I also know people. You need a fence for the stuff you stole last night, and I can find you one." Danny considered the offer. Having a contact with the criminals would be useful, and Taylor had worked with her, even been friends with her. "Fine. But you need to tell me about her."
    "What?"
    "Tell me about who Taylor was, when she was being Skitter."
    "She wanted to be a hero. When she started. She fought Lung, she beat the hell out of him."
    She ginned. "Rotted his crotch off with spider venom, if I recall correctly. But she wanted to be one of the good guys. The rest of the team thought she was like us, they invited her to join the team the next day. I think she wanted to sell us out, at first, be she ended up liking us. She was really good at her job."

A/N- This refused to end how I wanted it to, which sucks, but I'm mostly satisfied with it. I probably rushed the fight a bit but when you're working with limited resources in-story things tend to be less flashy and more... quick. Not to mention most actual gunfights end in under a minute, not drawn-out, movie stuff. with powers, it's different, and I promise any fights with capes will be longer. Feedback would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Muroshi9 and Prince Charon like this.
  2. vyor

vyor Probably an Omnibus

Formating, the enter button is your friend. Better to have too many breaks than a wall of text!

3. Waerloga

Waerloga TropeCo CEO

I used it, but only once. I'll go and change that right away, still getting used to the formatting here.

4. Waerloga

Waerloga TropeCo CEO

Fixed that.

5. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Well-Known Member

He works in the docking business, it's not impossible that a sniper rifle"fell off a truck" a few years ago.

Prince Charon and doomlord9 like this.
  6. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Well-Known Member

"Hi," said the little girl in the video, "most of you probably know me, but for those who don't, I'm Bonesaw. You probably heard by now that the rest of the Nine are dead, and that I killed them. I'm not asking for thanks, I did a... a lot of bad things after Uncl- after Jack Slash got to me; just give all the bounty money to charities for our victims, or something.

Anyway, I know I've got a kill order, so I'm going to disappear - or, I already have, since I'm setting this file to go out at a random time between three and ten days from now. I can change how I look, and I've got a machine that'll transfer another person's memories to my brain. There's about a fifty-fifty chance that it will just erase my real memories, so if you think you might be me, don't try to remember. Really. You're better off without them.

Well, bye-bye."

More than 750 people are believed to have triggered from watching that video, a testament to how bloody terrifying the S9 were.

Not specifying exactly when this happened, beyond 'some years after Riley became Bonesaw,' and 'some time before the S9,000, and probably before the S9's post-Leviathan visit to Brockton Bay.' Could serve as an alternate trigger even for someone (or several people), or just a background even to explain why you're not doing a Slaughterhouse Nine arc.

Drak4806, Zackarix, doomlord9 and 2 others like this.
  7. vyor

vyor Probably an Omnibus

I doubt anyone would trigger from that.

8. Prince Charon

Maybe. Was inspired by a review of Irredeemable (or possibly Incorruptible) which mentioned people freaking out over the Plutonian claiming to do something like that, only without the 'you could be me' part.

EDIT: Not sure where the review is, if anyone is wondering.

Snake/Eater likes this.
  9. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Well-Known Member

I think what it needs to be more terrifying is to make it more intimate.

Like a conversation with another person, that a monster from any other normal joe's POV can seem human.

But that is just my point of view.

ShadowStepper1300 likes this.
  10. Prince Charon

Something I've been working on (detailed notes being written, but I'm not sure if I should post them here, or if people would rather this idea went in a NSFW direction):

Elfland Offline

"Hello, Brockton Bay! This is L33t speaking, and if you're hearing this, I'm dead, and you're mostly wondering what that light was, and why you got pointed ears now - or why other people do, and you don't. You probably guessed by now that it's my fault, and you're right.

If you watch our channel at all, you know that my bro died when we did a Wolfenstein tribute and went up against the Empire; all donations from now on go to victims of hate crimes, i-if you care. You don't know why we did that, though: See, Uber could make himself suave if he wanted to, and got himself a girlfriend... like, a Real Life one. They were pretty happy - she was even cool with our gaming and caping - and then some E88 thugs killed her whole family for a fuckin' initiation! My bro was gonna propose, I was gonna be best man, and then she was dead!

So I Tinkered up more lethal stuff than we usually go for, and we killed a shitload of unpowered Nazi thugs, plus Krieg, Stormtiger, Cricket, & one a' those giant twins, and my bro Uber died, an' I almost didn't get away. That's not the end of it, though. See, I got locator tags on a bunch of the Nazis, and the tagger hasn't blown up, yet, so I got a lot more. I made this Social Analyzer with an Evil-o-meter that I had the idea for for a while (I sent the plans an' files to Dragon), but never built before, 'cause it didn't fit any of the games we were doing when I could get the parts for it. I found more Nazis with that, and some ABB guys, including Bakuda. I checked out some of the heroes, too: most of the Protectorate and Wards are cool, but Shadow Stalker is about as evil as Rune, and Triumph is no prize, even if he's not half as bad as either the Nazi or the fake hero. The PRT is scary corrupt, though, especially that Calvert guy - I mean, he scored higher than Hookwolf on the Evil-o-meter! Kaiser didn't score higher than Hookwolf!

... I'm ramblin', sorry. A-anyways, I tagged anyone who scored higher than 666 on the Evil-o-meter, so the PRT is prolly gonna be pissed at me for outing a Ward, but I'm dead, so I don't care! I didn't scan everyone in town, though, or even a tenth of the city, and I forgot about the Merchants. They're kind of fucked over by the powerup, anyway. The folks I tagged didn't get the present I've given to the rest of Brockton Bay, 'cause I told the system to exclude them.

See, we wanted to do an ElfLand Online tribute as a memorial, ever since Leviathan killed the NecroWare dev team when he sank Vancouver. If you never heard of ElfLand Online, that's 'cause it was never released, just a bunch of demos and files. It was gonna be the first real VRMMORPG - that's 'Virtual Reality Massively-Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game,' if you didn't know - using the new VR suit that Siemens came up with. So, now everyone in Brockton gets to play, 'cept for the really evil ones.

If you concentrate hard on wanting to read the manual, a virtual copy will appear before you, so you can learn about the game, powers, character classes, and stuff like that. Right now, most a' you are Level 0 Elves, which means you got some powers and pointy ears, you're healthier, and maybe you got a little prettyfied, but you don't have any class powers. A few of you, mostly selected by the computer at random, but some that I picked, are Level 1 or 2 in one of those classes, or Level 1 in each of two classes. The ELO devs named the classes after classic fantasy races - mostly European, but some Japanese, too, 'cause two of the team immigrated after Kyushu. There's a list in the manual.

Oh, yeah, if you're a little kid, you got the health bonus and such, but you only get, like, toy levels of other powers, 'cause they ain't exactly safe. You'll have to wait 'til after puberty to really play - your parents or guardians will tell you about that when you're older.

A lot a' you are probably wondering how long this is gonna last, or why I say I'm dead, and both answers are related. See, doing something like this over a whole city takes a lot of power, both processing power and electrical power, and making it last is even harder, but my power was real helpful for once, and gave me a gadget that lets me sort of 'cast from hitpoints and lifespan' - that's not exactly what it does, but it's close enough without going into complete technobabble. Pretty much, I'm giving my life to make these powers permanent. This is L33t, sighing off. Goodbye."

<TL; DR: Uber dead on Wolfenstein run (made run due to E88 killing the girl Uber loved), L33t wanting to die but go out with a bang, his power became more cooperative, machines that let him cast from hitpoints and lifespan for grand effects; BB now based on 'Elfland Online,' game that never came out due to Leviathen killing the NecroWare dev team when it hit Vancouver (Imagine BioWare doing a VRMMORPG cross between ALfheim Online, D&D, and general fantasy & folklore)>

So, thoughts?

11. Chojomeka

Chojomeka Burd is tha word

Okay you've got my interest....also kek on the Evil-o-meter :D

Prince Charon likes this.
  12. Prince Charon

Thanks. I'm sort of wondering how various people will react to this in-setting (because everyone heard the message, whether they got powers or not) - I mean, Calvert is going to be very deeply concerned, and may start running a timeline where he leaves town, while trying to see what'll happen if he stays in the other, but his power strongly favors lots of short-term plans over a few long-term plans. Sophia will probably have the smarter reaction and just bug out immediately, but I'm not so sure about Kaiser. The E88 operates very much on pride, after all.

There's also the question of what the PRT will do. I would assume they have some sort of protocol for 'everyone in this town somehow gets powers (after all, the US government has actual zombie apocalypse plans in real life, and we don't live in a world where that's nearly as plausible), but what that plan is, I'm not sure. I mean, transferring all current PRT members to the Protectorate and sending in unpowered troops to police more than 350,000 'parahumans' (not sure if we ever got a canon population for Brockton Bay, so I'm making a guess based on pop. sizes others have suggested) is an obviously terrible idea, but the alternatives are likely to be controversial; no matter what, BB is now the subject of international attention, or will be very soon.

Just so you know, the power level numbers do not exactly correspond to PRT threat ratings/power classifications: as expected of a video game, there are a lot of levels, probably between fifty and one hundred, and even getting to the top probably won't get you past PRT power classification of 9 in your strongest power type, unless you also use it very well. Also, due to the difficulty of making a game work in real life, it's a lot harder to level up that far, and most people aren't going to try, because you aren't just wasting time or risking our reputation, you're risking your life, unless you take the slow-but-relatively-safe method of sparring with your fellow players (while holding back a hell of a lot more than you would in an actual MMORPG).

I'm going to try to post the complete notes tomorrow, if I'm done by then, though I'm still wondering if I should post it here, or the NSFW thread, or both. Here's a preview, focusing on what 'Level 0' gives you:

Thoughts?

Chojomeka likes this.
  13. doomlord9

doomlord9 Well-Known Member

A very interesting premise, I would like to see it continued.

One thing comes to mind though, since he had tagged all the racists and evil people, instead of simply excluding them a better revenge would be to give them an 'upgrade' to trash mobs. Goblins, kobolds, ect. Foul smelling, ugly as sin, with the E88 getting a special extra bit where they are worth 100 times the normal exp at base with the multiplier increasing the longer they are alive, as well as giving everyone within a large radius a beacon to where they are located with the radius increasing with their multiplier.

The E88 now becomes priority targets, can't hide, and will be torn apart by the pissed off mobs of people they have been hurting for so long. They will cease to exist within a couple weeks and his revenge on them would truly be complete.

14. Prince Charon

So would I, really.

It's an interesting idea, but not something that fits the mindset that I think L33t has - he's viewing it as a game, and punishing them by not letting them play. Making them trash mobs would be letting them play.

I think the notes for the idea are mostly complete, so they're below. I'm starting to think I need to post this to the NSFW thread not because it's necessarily NSFW, but because more people seem to read it.

There were 356,492 people in Brockton Bay and the nearest suburbs when L33t's device went off. He had scanned a little over a thousand of them with his Social Analyzer before he got impatient, and only a bit over a hundred (mostly gang-members/leaders that he scanned because they were in the gangs) are denied the power-up.

After extensive power testing on a range of volunteers, the baseline ('Level 0') for Brockton Fey is assigned the following power classifications (threat ratings; note that these assume an Elf of average intelligence, creativity, drive, and for the Tinker rating, resources; the same is true of the threal ratings for Classes):

Mover/Stranger 1: Improved stealth, able to run near-silently even on dry leaves, run on snow or sand without leaving footprints, et cetra; also, talented at disciplines like gymnastics and parkour.

Tinker 1: Low-level 'magic items,' mostly in the form of single-use 'charms' and 'potions.' Can be used to buff, debuff, or otherwise work with other fey powers.

Thinker 2: Improved memory and data processing; enhanced senses; 'mystical' senses (weak postcognition; detection of active power use and Tinkertech - though 'passive' or 'always on' abilities like Taylor's bug mastery tend to slip past if nothing big is being done with them, or they don't directly target the fey; 'one with nature' stuff; other minor 'spooky' senses).

Trump 2: 'Spellcasting,' plus the ability to change classes, and to 'level up.' This will be raised to Trump 3 when the PRT realizes that Brockton Fey get willpower saves against body- and mind-controlling powers.

Brute 3: Improved durability, disease/poison/drug resistance, and rapid healing (which also cures addictions and other long-term medical issues). Those prone to migraines and other chronic problems will find them fading away, while power-induced issues (like Thinker headaches) are reduced in frequency and severity. Faster improvement of strength, reflexes, and physical skills (for those who bother to exercise; you do not get enhanced strength at Level 0) occur as a side effect of rapid healing. The increase in strength can improve the Mover rating, as well.

Preadolescent children have the Brute and Thinker abilities (and the will-saves), and can briefly use the Mover/Stranger power in emergencies, but only have harmless 'toy' versions of other powers. The un-Nerfed version of the powers kick in within a year of the onset of puberty, so mostly between the ages of eleven and thirteen; poor Vista has a month or two to go.

All Brockton Fey retain the base abilities, even when equipping a Class, and can level them up with training.

For adults, the powers are, to a degree, skills, and can be levelled up even if they don't take any classes (though they level more slowly in that case, as all abilities would be cross-class skills). Cross-class powers may also level up when you do have a class, of course, just not as fast as those that are part of the class.

(The spoiler boxes are there partly to conserve space in the post, but mainly to keep related things together ans avoid confusion.)

These are classes rather than races, because they may be learned, and leveled up, and one may have the same character multiclass in several, though many of their abilities can only be used in that class's Changer state.

The existing classes are not fully balanced, due to the stage of development the game was at. L33t simply used his power to patch any identifiable holes, and create an Admin system (called 'Cardinal') running on the collective unconscious of the players, to fix any issues he could not identify.

Around 36,000 people in the Brockton bay area have one level in a class at 'Game Start,' and a little under 4,000 have two levels. A bit under 1,000 of those are multi-classers, and less than 200 of these have Prestige Classes.

A good all-round class, but unless given time to build up, Dwarves are better suited to the Tank and Support rolls than DPS.

Breaker/Changer 1: Dwarves tend to be shorter and stockier than the base form, and male dwarves will nearly always have beards.

Brute 4: Dwarves are stronger and more durable than they look, and are highly resistant to poisons (particularly alchohol, which can get them as far as 'pleasantly buzzed,' but would require ridiculous amounts to go any further).

Tinker 2: Dwarves are talented at making durable, low-maintenance Tinkertech, which tends to be rather easier to reverse-engineer than most examples.

The main Damage Per Second class, though they also make decent Tanks. The worst Support class.

Breaker/Changer 1: Oni tend to be bulkier than base form, with horns on the upper forehead. Some have only one eye (like the Cyclops of Greek mythology), and one horn over it, or on top of the head.

Brute 5: Oni are quite strong and durable, and become more-so at higher levels.

Mover 2: Oni are rather faster than their bulk would indicate, both in running and in reaction time.

Their size, manoeuverability, and surprising resistance to damage mean that Pixies make excellent Scouts and Speed-Tanks. They also work somewhat as a Support class, but have the worst DPS in the game (barring Tinkertech weapons).

Breaker/Changer 3: Able to shrink down to 1/10th of own height (though the class may be 'active' without shrinking), further at higher levels. Equipment will not shrink with the user, unless 'enchanted' using the baseline Tinker power. Pixie/Spriggan multiclassers must enchant their equiment twice.

Brute 6: Becomes very durable in shrunken form, though strength remains the same as base form. 'Enchanted' equipment also becomes more durable, but not by as much (Brute 4).

Mover 3: Sprouts insect wings in shrunken form, making this one of the few classes able to fly at Level 1. Speed and endurance increase at higher levels.

Though Pixies do not automatically gain a boost to the baseline Tinker power, those who practice with it will level up the skill faster, as long as they focus on using biomaterials to make things (e.g. a suit made of layers of spidersilk and beetle shells). Those who do this, especially of female, are often called 'Tinkerbells,' and the manual implies that this was intended to become a Prestige Class (see below), though perhaps not by that name. As the Point of Divergeance took place after she triggerred, Taylor is the scariest Pixie of all.

Spriggans, also called Giants, are the best Tank class, as well as having fairly good DPS, but provide little advantage to Support roles beyond construction and lugging heavy things about.

Breaker/Changer 3: Able to grow up to twice own height (though the class may be 'active' without growing), further at higher levels. Equipment will not grow with the user, unless 'enchanted' using the baseline Tinker power. Spriggan/Pixie multiclassers must enchant their equiment twice.

Brute 6: Becomes very durable and quite strong in large form. 'Enchanted' equipment becomes nearly as durable (Brute 4).

Pookha are fey who have a close relationship with animals, generally specializing in one species, and gaining traits related to it - in a way, they are a collection of closely related classes, with individual advantages and disadvantages.

At first level, all Pookha gain the following:

Changer 1: Physical traits related to the animal they specialize in - for mammals, this tends to be ears, tail, and sometimes eyes, teeth, claws, and if applicable, small horns or antlers; for birds, hair becomes feathery, claws may manifest, nose may become beaklike, and eyes may change appearance. At higher levels, they can swap out animal traits for another species, and/or transform completely into their animal, while retaining their human mind; depending on the species, this may add Brute, Mover, or Stranger ratings.

Master 1: Able to communicate with and influence animals of their chosen species. At higher levels, they can influence larger numbers of animals, do so more effectively, and/or communicate with and influence a wider range of related species.

Thinker 2: Enhanced senses similar to their preferred species, instinctive understanding of how to care for them. Domestic animals, particularly those with a good sense of smell, tend to grant improved ability to understand humans. At higher levels, senses become keener, and they gain the ability to percieve through the senses of animals they have influenced.

Higher-level Pookha can buff and heal their pets.

Available species include Bear, Cat (see also Neko, in Prestige Classes), Deer, Dog (yes, Bitch is one), Eagle, Fox (see also Kitsune, in Prestige Classes), Goat (sometimes called Satyr), Horse, Monkey (ears unchanged, tail is prehensile), Rabbit (mostly female, but not exclusively), Rat, Raven (see also Tengu, in Prestige Classes), and Raccoon (see also Tanuki, in Prestige Classes). Bear, Deer, Goat, and Horse have enhanced strength, starting equivalent to Brute 3 (see Muscle Brute on this page).

Early planning sessions involved Pookha for each of the animals of the Chinese Zodiac, but this idea was mostly dropped before coding really began.

These are special classes that were intended to become unlocked once you got to a certain level, with the possibility of players even creating custom prestige classes by developing their powers in an interesting direction, and then getting designated as Prestige Class as a reward.

The following Prestige Classes exist for ELO:

Generally achieved by grinding skill in spells that use a specific Element, though a few people were granted one of these as a second class at 'Game Start' by L33t, or by Cardinal.

Brute 4: Highly resistant to damage from own Element.

Master 1: Can project a small (roughly cat-sized) humanoid servant or warrior with a virtual intelligence, made of the Master's Element. At higher levels, depending on how (and how much) the user trains, they may project a bigger and more powerful elemental, alter their elemental's shape, increase its intelligence and senses, create larger numbers of elementals, or some combination thereof.

Shaker/Blaster 1: Able to control own Element to both manipulate the environment, and directly attack. At higher levels, range, mass, complexity, and ability to do damage increase.

At higher levels, Elementals develop a Breaker state allowing them to take the form of their own Element. Damage to this Breaker form does not carry over to other forms, save as pain and/or nausea.

Each type of Elemental also has one or more special abilities:

Earth Elemental

Tinker 2: Gnomes are quite good at building interesting things quickly, often with a steampunk aesthetic (or clockpunk, or windmillpunk), but a lot of their creations tend to explode when they're done with them, or otherwise fail in a visually-impressive manner. Unlike L33t, they can repair or rebuild their inventions, or create new ones that do mostly the same thing, but precise quality control is unlikely - it will often be close (sometimes enough that you'd have to try rather hard to find the differences), but new items will never have exactly the same traits as a previous iteration, save by accident.

Fire Elemental

Striker 2: Salamanders can 'burn away illness' without harming the body, but have difficulty causing injuries to heal much faster than normal. Poisons are treated as illnesses, but chemical deficiencies are not.

At higher levels, Salamanders can use their mastery of Fire to fly like a rocket (or a Firebender from Avatar: tLA and tLoK).

Air Elemental

Mover 3: The Sylphs' mastery of Air Magic make them one of the few classes able to fly at Level 1. Speed and endurance increase at higher levels.

Water Elemental

Mover 3: Able to swim very fast without tiring.

Striker 2: Undines can 'wash wounds away' (though any missing biomass must be made up for, and regrowing bones is slow), but are less skilled in curing disease. At higher levels, they can convert seawater into missing biomass.

Notes exist in the manual for Lightning, Shadow, Sound, Metal, and Wood Elementals, but no coding has been done for them. In theory, the Elves might use those notes as inspiration to create new classes, but this would be tricky.

Usually unlocked by leveling up the Dwarf class while grinding skill in the armour-making aspects of the class's Tinker power, though a few people were granted this as a second class at 'Game Start' by L33t, or by Cardinal.

Breaker/Changer 1: Leprechauns shrink down to something like half the size of base form, but generally keep the same proportions. At higher levels, they may learn to shrink as far as one-twelfth of base form.

Shaker 3 (Thinker 1): Able to 'grant wishes' three times per day, as long as they only require a plausible coincidence to occur (at Level One, anything less likely than about one in 5 is difficult, and anything less likely than one in ten is beyond the Leprechaun's capability). Cannot grant own wishes. The wishes often take some time to occur, as changes do not begin until the wish has been made. Upon hearing a wish, they can estimate more-or-less how likely it is to occur, and thus whether the probability is high enough for there to be any point in trying to grant the wish. Also, Leprechauns tend to be unreasonably lucky. At higher levels, they can create a wider range of controllable and semi-controllable probability effects, and can grant less probable wishes.

Tinker 3: Leprechauns are good at making wearable technology.

At higher levels, many Leprechauns develop some form of precognition.

Normally unlocked by leveling up the Fox Pookha class, though a few people were granted this as a second class at 'Game Start' by L33t, or by Cardinal. Lisa, appropriately, is one of these, due to L33t sort of lightly stalking her civilian self after seeing her in a Starbucks.

Shaker 4/Stranger 3: Kitsune are the masters of illusion, able to fool all five senses over a roughly room-sized area, and/or appear to be someone else, though at first, they cannot appear as a specific other person. At higher levels, their radius of effect increases, they learn to imitate specific individuals, and their illusions begin to have physical effects.

Normally unlocked by leveling up the Cat Pookha class, though a few people were granted this as a second class at 'Game Start' by L33t, or by Cardinal.

Master 1: A Neko may 'summon' (project) a few ghosts (generally 1d4+1 to start with). At first level, they are nearly invisible, completely intangible, and really only good as spies (or distractions, if the target is capable of noticing them). At higher levels, the ghosts begin manifesting traditional 'ghostly' powers like psychokinesis, fear projection, or temperature control, and may be summoned in greater numbers. At even higher levels, possession becomes possible, and ghosts (simulations) of specific people may be summoned; if these people are parahumans, the ghosts may have a weaker version of their powers.

Normally unlocked by leveling up the Raccoon Pookha class (despite tanuki being much more closely related to dogs and foxes), though a few people were granted this as a second class at 'Game Start' by L33t, or by Cardinal.

Changer 5: Tanuki are versatile shapeshifters, able to take on nearly any form that is the size of their animal shape. At higher levels, they may grow or shrink by increasing degrees, thogh never as small as a Pixie nor as big as a Spriggan of the same level.

Normally unlocked by leveling up the Raven Pookha class, though a few people were granted this as a second class at 'Game Start' by L33t, or by Cardinal.

Thinker 3: Tengu have a talent for Martial Arts, instintively using a style fitting for their body type.

Normally unlocked by leveling up each of at least five classes, though about three or four people were granted this as a second class at 'Game Start' by L33t, or by Cardinal. Taylor is the only one of these that she is currently aware of L33t's shard knows who has Queen Administrator, though L33t knew nothing of this).

Master 1: Animals tend to give way for a High Elf, and might obey simple orders, while plants will often be healthier in a High Elf's presence, and may grow faster. At higher levels, this influence becomes similar to that of a Pookha: while a High Elf will never be as good as a Pookha of the same level is at that Pookha's favored species, the ability to commune with all non-sapient beasts is still rather impressive. Some High Elves will develop the ablity to make plants move on their own, often for combat.

Thinker 4: High Elves are the nobility of Elvenkind, and thus are highly charismatic, and excel at strategy, tactics, logistics, and other aspects of Administration. A litter of kittens that a High Elf has had a few weeks to train should be taken seriously as a threat, even if the High Elf is absent, unconscious, or dead. A High Elf is still a fairly dangerous combat Thinker when alone and outnumbered (they can see any flaws in your training, organization, or actions, and exploit them), but they truly shine when leading a group.

Tinker/Trump 4: High Elves are very good at 'magic,' both 'spellcasting' and 'magic item creation,' much more so than the other classes at the same level.

DIT_grue likes this.
  15. doomlord9

doomlord9 Well-Known Member

Oh no, they don't get to play.

They start weak and remain weak, being excluded from the leveling system means that even in large numbers they can barely pose a threat to a lvl 1 player. Possibly adding in respawning capabilities to them if he could manage that part, just so they get to enjoy being killed enmasse repeatedly.

ShadowStepper1300 likes this.
  16. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

So. This showed up on my youtube feed for some reason- presumably because of DBZ Abridged.

Anyone see a resemblance?

Prince Charon and daimahou like this.