1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dungeon Crawler Quest(Original Fantasy)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by yrsillar, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Incidentally, i would like to thank Maya again when we buy her her new orb when we go back to town (it's in my vote). It's important that she truly knows we approve.

2. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

+sighs+
    Hmm, 63 Gilders left. Can't fully resupply the items we used up on that Dungeon, nor to fully heal.

If we are going for near full recovery with cheapest and most cost-effective items only:
    - Alice requires 1 Potion (27+25 = 52/61 HP) and 4 Amritas (5+60 = 65/67 MP) = 70 Gilder
    - Maya requires 1 Potion (26+25 = 56/58 HP) and 1 Amrita (12+15 = 27/22 MP) = 25 Gilder
    - Anshelm requires 2 Potions (67+50 = 117 HP) and 1 Amrita (14+15 = 29/31 MP) = 35 Gilder
    - Shimah requires 1 Potion (32+25+?*= 57+?*/72 HP) and 1 Amrita (55+15+?* = 70+?*/78 MP) = 25 Gilder
    - Seraphine requires 1 Potion (22+25 = 47/48 HP) and 3 Amritas (6+45 = 51/61 MP) = 55 Gilder
    Total needed = 70 + 25 + 35 + 25 + 55 = 210 Gilder (around 42 Gilder per person)
    * Shimah has a Passive that increases the points recovered from items

Now, Shimah might be able to heal with a better Gilder to HP ratio (Amrita > MP > Heal > HP) than just chugging Potions, so there might be differences there, but we don't really know her healing prowess anyway.
    Also, I think Maya and Ashelm can choose not to fill up their MPs, if their respective skills are no MP hogs, but the casters don't have that luxury.

Expenditures during Dungeon (only Alice's is pretty clear in the narrative, others not so):
    - Alice spends 1 Amrita in the first room, 1 Potion and 1 Amrita in the second, 1 Ether in the third (95 Gilder)
    - Anshelm spends 1 Hi-potion in the second room, heals in the third room? (50+? Gilder)
    - Maya spends 1 Escape Orb in the fourth room, heals in the third room? (200+? Gilder)
    - Shimah spends 1 Amrita in the first room, 1 Ether in the third, and ??? (70+? Gilder)
    - Sera spends 1 Amrita in the first room, 1 Ether in the third and ??? (70+? Gilder)
    Total = 95 + 50? + 200? + 70? + 70? = 485? Gilder (around 97+? Gilder per person)

Chip in Amritas for Shimah to heal us if she is more cost effective, and get an Amrita yourself if there is enough.

Do a safe and known Dungeon. No need to waste all those Blessings.

Go to E-Rank Ogre's Den or E-rank Wailing Cavern so that Earthspeaker's Boots can be utilized.

[] Admit (grudgingly) to Maya that you might have been too overzealous and too prideful to sound the retreat back there
    - [] Prod Anshelm to admit it as well, Maya is the voice of experience here, and- Ugh, you only knew how to be blunt...
    - [] Maya, you saw that she had been keeping something back, something about that Dungeon... Can she tell us?

[] Go back to town to resupply and heal
    - [] Buy Amritas for Shimah to heal all

[] Try a different dungeon.
    -[] E-rank Wailing Cavern

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  3. a2znut

a2znut Needs more handholding. [Forever DM]

[X] Plan Grosstoad

4. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

[X] Grosstoad

5. Grosstoad

@a2znut
    @Darkened

Had some thoughts, after you two bandwagon-ed over my plan.

Was considering Maya's current level of distress, and not wanting to aggravate her further by bringing back the second place that almost laid us out. But we know we could pass it with 4 people before, albeit barely, and now we have Sera and some extra level, so what About D-rank Ogre's Den, as part a sop for Anshelm, and to assure Maya about the current competence of our party?

Another option is to look for new Dungeons, and hope any wandering monsters we meet has good drops (not very likely).

GiftofLove likes this.
  6. a2znut

We bought fortune, so best get into dungeon for loots. Searching is not productive at this point.

7. Garahs

Garahs Soil Surveyor

[X] Grosstoad

Don't see anything there needing to be changed.

8. Grosstoad

@a2znut
    @Darkened
    @Garahs
    So are you three okay with attempting to go forward with Ogre's Den D-rank again, while placating Maya?
    Not to forget getting the Lighting-Resistant Hat as well.

GiftofLove likes this.
  9. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

I will vote for that.

10. a2znut

Grosstoad likes this.
  11. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Do we have enough pots?

12. Grosstoad

@Darkened
    Alice have 2 spare Pots according to the inventory, but I am not too sure we have enough to restock Amritas, both to chip in for Shimah to heal the party back to near full and to top up Alice's own MP to near full.

13. Garahs

Garahs Soil Surveyor

If we fail this D rank, I want us sticking to easy dungeons for a level so we can build up our funds back.

14. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

Im fine with that.

15. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Yeah, we probably don't want to do a dungeon where we need a lot of consummables, and we don't want a dungeon that has any odd of failing whatsoever.

After all, if we do, we might not have a team by tomorrow.

16. Grosstoad

@Darkened, @Arkeus, @Garahs, @Xicree, @a2znut, @GiftofLove

Looking at D-rank Ogre's Den expenditure with 4-men and lower level (that Alice saw):
    - 1st room: Anshelm 1 Potion, Shimah 1 Amrita
    - 2nd room: Shimah 1 Potion & 1 Amrita, Alice 1 Potion & 1 Amrita
    - 3rd room: Anshelm 1 Potion
    - Bonus Boss: Alice 2 Potions, Shimah 1 Potion & 1 Amrita, Maya ? Potions
    - Pre-4th room: Shimah 2 Amritas, Alice 1 Amrita
    - 4th/Boss room: Anshelm ? Potions
    Total expenditure (that Alice saw): (7 + ???) Potions & 7 Amritas

Split around 5 people, that's less than 2+? Potions and 2 Amritas for each person, if Bonus Boss triggers.

GiftofLove likes this.
  17. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

That sounds good. I am actually not sure we can afford to buy another escape orb right now, so what about either lending ours to Maya's for this dungeon run (we'll buy one after), or else ask if someone else can do it?

EDIT:

Basically, we have 2 Ethers and 3 Potions left. That's much more than expected, and if everyone has similar reserves we shouldn't have any issues whatsoever.

18. Grosstoad

It's best if Anshelm offers by his own volition (if we can get Maya to open up, and Anshelm to ponder about his recklessness), but barring that Alice should offer hers.

Note, check on expenses needed to raise us up to near full levels as well.

19. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

As you said earlier, should be much cheaper by just buying Amritas for Shimah to heal us with, and then buying Amritas for Al/Sera/Shimah to be full up. We don't quite know the calculations of healed HP with her spells, but i doubt it has a bad ratio.

EDIT: The main issue is deciding whether we want to risk night encounters by going back to town or not (or if having escaped the dungeons means we won't risk it anyway). I don't really mind night encounters, but we actually don't know how dangerous they are.

20. Grosstoad

Updated plan (old plan will be strike-through and not X-ed):

[X] Admit (grudgingly) to Maya that you might have been too overzealous and too prideful to sound the retreat back there
    - [X] Prod Anshelm to admit it as well, Maya is the voice of experience here, and- Ugh, you only knew how to be blunt...
    - [X] Maya, you saw that she had been keeping something back, something about that Dungeon... Can she tell us?

[X] Go back to town to resupply and heal
    - [X] Buy Amritas for Shimah to heal all
    - [X] Get Sera to pick up the Earthspeaker's Boots
    - [X] Discuss on who should wear the Purty Hat, in case Bonus Boss triggers again
    - [X] Give your Escape Orb to Maya

[X] Try a different dungeon.
    -[X] D-rank Ogre's Den

21. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

[X]Grosstoad
    Well, let's try this. Not to sure about the night encounters, but heh. Also, not overly pleased about pushing Maya to tell us more about her trauma.

22. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

You only got through half the dungeon so if you hustle a bit, chance of night encounters is minimal.

tenchifew, Arkeus and Grosstoad like this.
  23. Grosstoad

+PARANOIA INTENSIFIES+

Chibi-Reaper and yrsillar like this.
  24. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

[X] Grosstoad

We should go after the most rewarding dungeon we can reliably clear. We know how to handle Ogre's Den (Though D rank Goblin's Glade should be comparable.)

Tomorrow I REALLY want to try to split the party up and grind a bit to keep our level advancement fast.

25. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

Alright going to lock up the votes on this. Grosstoads plan is da winner, expect this sometime around my normal posting time.

tenchifew and Arkeus like this.
  26. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

“…It looks like I didn't judge the difficulty increase accurately enough... the change of tactics and extra effects were a harsher combination than I expected, even ignoring numbers,” you admit. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth, and not just from leftover acid webs. You hate losing… but yeah, Maya made the right call here.

“You too Al! C’mon, we were doing fine. Sure we probably would have ran out of consumables, but we could have won,” Anshelm grumbles, frowning in your direction.

“We were less than halfway through that room,” you sigh, “Look maybe if me and Sera could take down the spiders in two hits instead of three we could have managed it, but this wasn’t like the Ogre Den, even if we finished the spider room there were still three more fights to go afterword, and a possible bonus boss.”

“That’s what I was thinking,” Maya adds quietly, “No offense meant to any of you, but without SP you really can’t contribute much, by the end it would have been just Anshelm and I fighting the boss. I’m sure you remember just how difficult putting the Crystal Lord down last time was, and only I have upgraded my weapons since then.”

“Um…. I have to agree, especially since there were so many, I was even being attacked a lot, and enemies don’t usually notice me at all,” Sera points out, she still looks uncomfortable.

Anshelm scowls at that, but the reminder that not only were you all blowing through your resources too fast, but that he couldn’t even keep all or even most of the agro seems to prick his pride, “…Fine. I guess it’s stupid to expect to beat everything on the first go,” he still looks really unhappy, but you think he’s simmered down a little, “We’re coming back and stomping this place at some point though.”

Maya lets out a relieved sigh, some of the tension leaving her shoulders, and her ears perking back up, “Yeah, I can get behind that, we’ll put on a few levels, get some better weapons and beat this another time, retreating is better than the alternative.”

“Very much so. I have no desire to see our names on the Monument to the Fallen just yet,” Shimah finally speaks up, “My skills are not yet enough to see us through a dungeon with so many foes. My apologies.”

“It’s fine,” Maya responds, “You have to remember that your job rank doesn’t necessarily mean what rank of dungeon you should be going too, and that dungeons have no minimum level, even a dungeon with a cap in the high double digits still has an E rank version, that doesn’t mean we would have any business entering it.”

“S’pose so,” Anshelm says, “What are we going to do next then, I spent the gilder on that blessing, I still want to get some use out of it.”

“I figure we can stop back at the city to grab a couple amritas… Shimah healing us up is going to be cheaper than potions. Then we hit one of the close dungeons so we don’t get caught outside at night. Say.. D rank ogre den? We took that with four people before and that was with the bonus boss," you say

“That sounds fine, it’s… pretty unlikely that we’ll get the bonus boss twice in a row,” Maya says.

“Yeah, alright,” Anshelm’s still feeling pretty taciturn it seems.

“That should be fine,” Shimah is in.

“If everyone thinks it will be fine, I’m willing to try… can you tell me about it on the way back though, I wasn’t here for that one…” Sera agrees too.

You all set off back to town, Shimah taking the time to heal everyone as you walk, and answer Sera’s questions.

On the way you end up falling back to talk to Maya, only briefly being distracted by the fluffy black brush of fur now protruding from just above her backside. So fluffy.

Anyway, important things, you withdraw your escape orb from your inventory, “Hey Maya, moneys a little tight right now, so just take my orb,”

“Al? I can’t just take this,” she responds, looking somewhere between touched and concerned.

“Yes you can, I sure don’t know when to use it,” you grumble, “Just take it, and make sure to pull us out of the fire if we get overconfident again.”

She takes the orb after that, looking thoughtful. “Some confidence can be good, as long as you’re aware of your limits.”

You grimace,”Yeah, yeah, I got that advice from the Archbishop too, I don’t like admitting limits I guess… You must have had something show you yours then, huh? You seemed pretty sad when you mentioned the graveyard,” you’ve really only got one mode socially, and that’s being painfully blunt, and you really are curious.

Maya pauses, falling behind you for half a step before catching up, ugh, with that sad look, and the drooping ears, you feel like you’ve just kicked a puppy, “Yeah, I did. I was the only one of the three of us that made it out of the graveyard.”

Right dropping it now, the rest of the trip passes in semi companionable silence, and small talk. Sera is going to switch to her boots, and after a little discussion, you all decide its best for Anshelm to wear the ‘Purty Hat’ if the bonus boss shows up he’ll be the one getting hit the most. Also Ogre’s don’t have much in the way of numbers, so he doesn’t need the extra threat generation.

At least Anshelm switching to the Purty Hat warms up the atmosphere a little, it looks so dumb, like a toddler got into their mothers jewelry drawer and glued everything together into a ‘crown.’ You do have to hurry, if you want to get back before nightfall though. Shimah and Sera both buy a couple Amritas you figure your two ethers will be fine.

Luckily Ogre’s Den is not too far from the city, the hill the dungeon entrance lies in is perhaps only two hours walk from town. You should be fine. You take an Ether on the way there, topping your SP off.

“Alright, we’re gonna destroy these guys,” Anshelm has gotten a bit of his bravado back, or maybe he’s trying to make up for how silly he looks right now with his new hat.

“I’m sure we will, just make sure to watch out for their specials,” Maya responds, she still seems pretty down. Ugh, not good with people, you have no idea how to cheer her up and Anshelm is totally oblivious.

“Yup, now lets get in there, we can trash talk while we fight. We’re on a timer,” You say, instead of what’s on your mind.

Sera glances up toward the sun, which is beginning its trip down to the horizon, “Yes Al is right…. Besides isn’t it more fun if they can hear us insult them?” she adds the second part with a bit of playfulness you didn’t know she had in her.

“Dungeon monsters cannot understand our speech, at least not at such low rank,” Shimah puts in. Sera frowns at her.

“It was a joke Miss Shimah,” she responds.

“Was it? I am sorry,” Shimah answers back, she still seems kind of distracted by something.

Before Sera can answer Anshelm activates the dungeon, and you all set off, the first room is the same as before. A dirt and stone cavern, though there are six of the smaller ogres with the big one, they’re just as disgusting and smelly as you remember. Sera clearly agrees by the way her face goes a little green when the smell hits.

No time to think on that, Anshelm calls his challenge, and maya is already gone, you set to slowing the crowd while Sera burns away at the big one. She seems less pleased with the results than usually, probably because burning ogres, if anything smell even worse than normal ones. “Goddess, why do they smell so horrible,” you catch her grumbling.

She’s right, your eyes are watering. Shimah keeps Anshelm healed up until they all go down, it takes a bite out of her SP, but the ogres dropped faster this time thanks to Sera and Maya’s new skill.

Second room comes, four of the little ogres, two of the big ones and the stone hurler, in a wide chamber that lets the nasty thing make the best of its range.

“Seraphine, you and Maya concentrate on the big one with the rock!” Anshelm calls as he takes point, clashing spear on shield to sound the challenge to the rest of the ogres. It goes pretty well, with Seraphine helping the chucker drops much faster than last time, you don’t even have to get hit with an exploding rock this time! Anshelm does, but he has more health, and Shimah heals him anyway. The rest follow in short order.

The next room is a bit of a pain, apparently the dungeon decided you were having too easy a time since there are three big ogres, three chuckers and five of the little ones around the bubbling stewpot this time. You eye up the Magi’s hut warily, but you know it won’t spawn until you finish the others… at this rank, who knows later on.

It’s… honestly a pretty painful fight. Anshelm drops into the yellow several times, and you end up getting exploded twice, you have never been happier that you don’t really feel pain normally. Shimah keeps up with the healing, buts all she can do until Maya and Sera cull the chuckers numbers, which to be fair they manage as quickly as they can. You have to take your last Ether by the end of the room, and Sera and Shimah both need an amrita. Nothing comes from the hut; you don’t know whether to be relieved or disappointed.

The Boss room is up next. The glow of the bonfire casts the ugly tribal totems and their uglier carvers into sharp relief, as the battle is joined. You suppose your luck evened out, because there are only two chuckers this time and four of the big ogres to join the ‘Bawws’ in the fight. A lucky crit from Maya means the first chucker goes down quickly, and the battle goes well from there. Your slow actually lands on the Bawws, and two of the big guys freeze under your frost spray, rendering it almost trivial for Shimah to keep up with the healing, she even gets a moment to debuff the bosses magic and defense, meaning his healing is less effective. You wouldn’t call it easy. A stray rock clips off a third of Maya’s health, and Anshelm has to take a couple potions when the ogres land specials, but they drop fast enough. The Bawws falls, and then the two frozen ogres are quickly set upon and shattered, and like that the dungeon ends.

Congratulations!
    You have gained.
    54 Experience
    5 Job points
    72 Gilder

The party has Looted.
    6 potions
    3 Hi potion
    4 amrita
    2 Ether
    [Ogre Belt] A rough hide belt with a buckle made of Steel. Grants additional Health. +10 Health
    [Ogre’s Rucksack] Five Extra Slots. A crudely made hide sack. Is pretty spacious though.
    [Bawws’ Hat] A strange hat made of silk, black and tall, with a strip of white just above the brim. How did an Ogre get this? Reduces your starting threat?
    [Bawws Stick] A crude wooden staff, or rather a small tree with a skull affixed to the top. Provides a boost to spell damage and the duration of status effects.
    [Oni Club] A massive club of iron with spikes protruding around the end, requires two hands and prodigious strength to use. Massive damage, and a chance to stun on hit.
    [Oni Race Mod] Smarter, Stronger, less smelly than their lesser cousins. Boosts Strength and Endurance at the cost of Agility

“Hmm A pretty good haul, even if I can’t use any of it,” Maya says, “I wouldn’t mind the hat I suppose.”

“I definitely want that race mod,” Anshelm adds, that’s pretty much perfect for me. You manage not to vocally disagree, c’mon even if this ‘oni’ thing isn’t as bad as straight up ogre, it won’t be the same….

“Um… the belt could be useful for me, my health is pretty low, and we will be getting another accessory slot at level five…” Sera says consideringly

“Nothing I need, I suggest we split the consumables as we always do, If no one else wishes for it, I will take the club, most likely for sale,” Shimah speaks up last, having been scanning her loot pane. “I believe you should take the bag Al. You are the last one aside from Anshelm lacking one, and he is far from needing one yet.”

What do you want?

[]Loot?

Select an action for the evening.
    []Time for a home visit.
    []Spend some time with your friends?
    []Socializing at the Inn
    [] Something else?

-2 Ethers

((Nat hundred on the boss room loot, and your bonuses... some of that loot had no business showing up in D rank.))

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    kffs, Rapey_Lemons, Vlagh999 and 9 others like this.
  27. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Well, a very good race mod at the very least.

I am thinking that the Baww's stick could be very much better than our own staff. Not sure if the damage will be better (boost to damage applies to spell right), but the lack of threat generation (current staff increases threat) and the long status effect makes me think it's good.

The Oni Club sadly cannot be used by Anshelm right now, but it looks like it should be really expensive and quite powerful.

EDIT:
    Well, now we have a better idea of how much of a bonus the Bonus Boss gives.

Re-EDIT:
    Given the flavour text on the Oni Race Mod, it seems it's the level up from the Ogre (lesser) Race Mod. This also means the "Oni Club" is a level up from a Ogre weapon.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  28. Grosstoad

Nice job, Yrs.

Sad that Anshelm didn't get to hear about Maya's prior party. That would've tempered his recklessness somewhat.

Initial Loot:
    [] Anshelm: Hi-Potion, Oni Race Mod (had actually been thinking about this since the others mentioned Ogre Mod)
    [] Alice: Ether, Amrita, Ogre's Rucksack, Bawws' Stick
    [] Seraphine: Ether, Amrita, Ogre's Belt
    [] Shimah: Potion, Amrita, Oni Club,
    [] Maya: Potion, Bawws' Hat,

@yrsillar, how does Bawws' Stick fare in comparison to Warg Spine?

29. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Oni Club probably cost a shit ton given it's the one above "ogre". I don't mind Shimah having it for sale, just that we might point out to her that she probably can get something nice for it.

That's actually smart. While it's not stealth as such, Maya is close to lvl5 and "threat generation decreased" can be very, very useful for a critical backstabber.

30. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

You don't know for sure, since you can't see all the numbers... given that its D rank boss loot you can probably bet on it being better though.