1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dungeon Crawler Quest(Original Fantasy)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by yrsillar, Nov 27, 2014.

1. steamrick

steamrick Matter: protons, electrons, neutrons and morons

[X] Anshelm Blacksteel Greatshield, 1 hi potion, 1 panacea
    [X] Al- 2 ethers, 1 high potion
    [X] Maya - Tainted Longbow, 1 high potion
    [X] Shimah- 1 ether, 1 panacea
    [X] Sera -1 ether, 1 high potion
    [X] Vault- Traitor's Cloak, Highlander Job Crystal, Abyssal Staff
    -[X]Think about Rolf for the Highlander Crystal. relationships are important, and we really need to be more connected as well as more powerful by the time the big incident happens. We can't afford anyone to die, and as Branded we all have very high odds of dying if we aren't ready.

[X] Castle of the Ice Queen E rank
    -[X] Keep an eye out for any monsters Maya can make into a pet.

2. tenchifew

tenchifew Well worn.

Sad to just sell the staff and crystal, and really leery of selling that cloak given the text. We can bring it to the church and ask.
    Shame about nothing in the jobs.

3. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

We should see if Rolf wants to buy Highlander.

4. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Damn, this was the E rank version? we actually got a pet perma killed and lost a summon (good thing those are expendable)
    No wonder this dungeon kills so many newbies

ork warcamp is near ogre's den
    castle of the ice queen is near drake nest
    I think that we should pair them up with the nearby dungeon for the sake of saving walk time.
    That is, ogre's den + warcamp one day, castle of the ice queen + drake nest another day.
    I would like to get one pair tomorrow and the next pair the next day. Both because I think they are interesting, and for the sake of expanding our guide.
    Also, I would really like to get a professional typist in on it. Maybe actually note info requests in it and offer some reward for people for turning in new info (free subscriptions? cash?). It would be nice if we got info about higher level dungeons before we went in there

Why? its just loot and there will be more. Also, remember that sold loot doesn't get destroyed, its then resold to other adventurers. Where do you think maya's ninja crystal came from?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  5. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

[X] Anshelm: Blacksteel Greatshield
    [X] Maya: Tainted Longbow
    [X] Vault:
    - [X] All consumables, party members replenish theirs
    [X] Get more info at church: Traitor's Cloak
    [X] Sell:
    -[X] Highlander Job Crystal (Rolf or Hiro gets first refusal)
    -[X] Abyssal Staff (Check with Lydia?)

6. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

-[X]Think about Rolf for the Highlander Crystal. relationships are important, and we really need to be more connected as well as more powerful by the time the big incident happens. We can't afford anyone to die, and as Branded we all have very high odds of dying if we aren't ready.

I wonder if Ice Queen will drop a race mod for an ice type.

Arkeus likes this.
  7. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

Desecrated Fort E is only 1 level short of Crystal Lake D, and noted for ally buffs. Doesn't overly surprise me.

Were we going to try another dungeon or mission today?

Xicree and Arkeus like this.
  8. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

we fared better on crystal lake D though, and it had a bullshit extra bosss. And it was both 1 level higher and 1 rank higher. And we even switched up our abilities just for this.

9. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Not all dungeons with same rec/levels are equal- see how Ashen Grotto is usually much harder than Wailing Cavern, for example. It might just be that Fort is on the verge of evolving into a 5-people dungeon, and so on.

Also from the spells we used it seems like Al couldn't do any damage with Ice, and while switching skills is all well and good our fire skill is still rank E, and the boss was immune to fire.

yrsillar were they immune to water too? Why didn't we use Acid Rain? would have thought beautiful Area spell would have worked wonders against big stacks of enemies. Also, can we have the usual character/level/title description at the end of the update?

10. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

Oh, right, forgot to put the party status up. They're largely immune to status effects, and Sera was largely handling AOE duties while Alice was disabling casters, since the fireballs and such did so much more due to weakness.

edit: status is up

Arkeus likes this.
  11. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

I feel like, somewhere out there, somebody wanting to focus on melee damage, bemoaning the fact that they just got an amazing magic job crystal they can't use. We should see if we can find this person and trade.

a2znut likes this.
  12. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Fuck, Shimah is Keeping Shaman Job? Mmmh, this probably means we won't get a Aoe Status Cure for a while :(
    While in theory a good idea, I prefer first trading (with reduced pricing) with people we already have had contact with so they keep coming back to us. This would be first Rolf (as a thanks for that info), and then Hiro (as we know he likes his swords).

13. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

I can get behind checking with Rolf and Hiro first. I just think that after they say no, we should hunt around/put the word out instead of going to a shop.

Arkeus likes this.
  14. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

Is Hiro the jackass guy from our childhood?

15. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Nah, he is a guy that began after us but quickly overlevelled us. First reference is morning when we took Shimah:
    Then on day 4:
    Then on day 8:
    Then on day 9:

16. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Hiro is the final fantasy main character caricature.
    Spiky blond hair, brooding, giant sword... thanked us very politely for our guide

17. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

The jerkass from childhood is now party-ed with Hiro and Lucia though... Because his partner died.

18. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

yrsillar you forgot to include Shimah's shiny new race mode in the status line up:
    After CL D-rank:
    Right now:
    I was kind of looking forward to see what change it made :p

19. theBSDude

theBSDude Space Ace

Traitor's spirit... I'm guessing it adds Friendly Fire, likely at a small percentage, or has a chance to steal health from a teammate under specific conditions. If it's health-stealing of some sort, it might actually be useful.

Grosstoad likes this.
  20. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

that is one guess, it could also inflict random confuse. remember when we got confused and attack our party.

drake_azathoth and Grosstoad like this.
  21. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

Fixed the error in Shimah's entry, is what I get for just copying out of the last update.

22. Grosstoad

Hmm, Maya is not yet level 7, so no hurry there.

23. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Heh, I prefer to have some margin so that we don't get locked out of dungeons without having to switch party members.

Also, Anyone mind adding a line about asking our party memebers what their new skills/spells are? Anshelm's Bullwark skill (no idea what it's called) should be at D-rank now, same with Shimah's Shaman (I think the totem is a passive skill from the job, not the magic skill?), and we don't know what are Sera's D-rank Lightning and Earth spells. She might not even be far from the lightning C-rank one, but can't recall offhand when she bought it. Likewise, our passive skills got some extra stuff at C-rank, and I wonder what's theirs.
    I am too curious.

24. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

[!] Damned if you won't get any use out of Maya's interest in your love life. Ask Maya if she has any advice to make you a better kisser.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  25. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

The best vote ever.

26. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

Okay looks like we're heading for the castle. Locking up

a2znut likes this.
  27. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

“Gimme a couple Ethers and a Hi potion, and I’ll be good… I say we stuff the cloak in the vault and get somebody at the church to check it out… not sure if cursed items are a thing…” you say after a moments thought.

“The description does seem rather ominous, even if the effects are nice,“ Maya adds agreeably.

“Yeah, pretty much, don’t really trust anything outright named traitor,” Anshelm says, “What about the job crystal though?”

“Eh… we could see if anyone at the Inn, has a green job to swap since none of us can use it.” You say, “Worth at least checking.

“Um, that does seem more sensible than just selling it right away, the same for the staff,” Sera adds, “Just because we can’t use the auction house yet, doesn’t mean we can’t trade.”

“Sensible, I have no objection,” Shimah states.

“Sure, honestly gilder is starting to feel kinda useless, I guess that’ll change once the auction opens.” Anshelm says with a shrug. “So, where too next? We want to hit one of those new places Al got info on?”

“I’d like to do Ice Queen,” you admit, “For obvious reasons, plus we are getting close to the level cap, and I don’t want to get locked out of a dungeon that probably has good drops for me.”

“Seems reasonable to me, I think you said there are a lot of casters, so there should be the possibility of loot for Shimah and Sera as well.” Maya says, fiddling with her inventory a bit.

“Sure, sounds good,” Anshelm grunts as he equips his new shield… holy crap is it huge. You think the thing must be almost six inches thick, and solid metal at that. It honestly looks rather absurd, towering almost a full foot over Anshelms head when planted on the ground, he looks mildly disgruntled by this.

You bite back a snicker that earned you a sharp look and a scowl, better pass it off, “So what do greatshields do anyway?”

He looks at you suspiciously for a moment, and you can see Maya eyeing you knowingly, “Makes me resist stun slow and paralysis, and there’s an ability to stun and knockback an enemy trying to disengage, also puts them back on me.”

“Ah, Lightning ranked to C, and Earth hit D for me as well,” Sera says as everyone gets to walking again, having stowed their various loot. “Lightning is a ‘massive damage’ single target that burns and can paralyze, it has a two tick charge time though.”

“Sounds pretty nice, how about earth?” you ask curiously.

Sera smiles prettily, ”The defense boost upgraded I think, and the Stoneskin spell gives me fifty health now. The new spell is ‘Mud Pit’. It creates a zone full of wet mud that slows every enemy inside and does a little bit of damage.”

Seems pretty useful, “My curses ranked as well, I do not remember if I mentioned that,” Shimah notes, “I can paralyze an additional target per spell, and I have gained a curse that causes enemies to harm themselves when they attack. The accuracy is noted as being low though, so I will likely need to save it for later in battle, when my passive has built up.”

Nice stuff all around you suppose. You fall in easily next to Sera, and without a word she slips her hand into yours, not even going much more than light pink as she does so. Progress you suppose? Either way you’re off, pausing only to resummons your Guardian.

The trip up toward Drakes Nest is a pretty long one, passing through some fairly unpleasant terrain. You do actually run across an enemy group, but in the end it’s an easy fight, just a pair of drake whelps in over their heads. They go down without issue, no item drops off of them and only a piddling bit of XP and such.

20 Exp, 1 Jp, 25 Gilder

Eventually you come to the snowy zone Rolf mentioned and see the two mountains in the distance that the dungeon was said to lie between. Of course, right around then it starts snowing, much to everyone’s displeasure.

You really have to stifle a laugh when the snow that hits Sera goes up in steam, but soon everyone besides you and Maya is feeling pretty grumbly. Branded might not get frostbite, but simple discomfort isn’t something you get out of.

At least the storm doesn’t get worse, and the wind is mostly blocked once you pass into the valley. The dungeon isn’t like anything you’ve seen before, it looks like a castle right out of a storybook, all sweeping fragile spires and a big domed roof in the center. It also looks like its cut entirely from a block of diamond, but you strongly suspect it’s just magically enhanced ice.

“Pretty fancy isn’t it?” Anshelm says as you trudge up to the glistening gates, where you can faintly make out the shimmer that separates dungeon from reality.

“I wonder if it would crumble when you cleared it, or if whoever managed could move in, I wouldn’t mind owning a castle,” Maya adds cheerfully, not looking at all bothered despite the fact that she’s soaked to the bone. She’s pretty good at ignoring discomfort you guess.

“Maybe someday,” you muse, you wouldn’t mind either, having a super awesome throne of polished diamond and a fancy crown, plus Sera sitting on your lap feeding you grapes.

…Wait, what was that last one? You shake your head, “Well, we might as well do this, shouldn’t be too bad. Suggested party is four and it’s a level lower than the Fort.”

“Yes, let us begin, I do not wish to stand out here any longer than necessary,” Shimah says, looking positively miserable.

With that you begin, the first room is the path leading up to the castle gatehouse between fields of flowers formed entirely from ice… it’s eerily pretty honestly. The giant furry humanoids lumbering up the path are less so. Yetis huh. You can see about five other enemies flitting about in the air above them, maybe half your height with icy white skin and fluttering wings like a cross between a butterfly and snowflake. Ice fairies. Real low health on those, but pretty decent SP pools. All of them absorb ice and are weak to fire.

“Mm, try to keep a one of the big ones for last,” Maya asks, even as she prepares to stealth, “I want to see if it's tameable.”

“Gotcha,” Anshelm replies, striding forward, hilariously oversized shield raised.

“Looks like it’s time to burn some stuff,” You say, glancing over to Sera as you release her hand.

Man you like her smile, “Mm, it seems so, I wonder how long they’ll last?” she muses.

It turns out not very long. Between you and Sera, the fairies get obliterated. Even if some of the damage seems to tick down onto the Yeti’s despite the flames never touching them… some kind of tank ability? The fairies barely get a couple of frost sprays off, and the wild swings of yeti fists barely faze Anshelm with nothing backing them up. Shimah has to heal him, but only once before one drops, and it turns out that, yes Maya can tame Yetis.

Next room is right in front of the gatehouse. Here two more Yeti’s stand guard… along with two enemy Frost Guardians. Hrrm. There’s another gaggle of eight faeries flitting about as well.

The first interesting thing you note, as you and Sera reduce faeries to steam, is that the enemy Frost Guardians seem to able to cause a nova of frost damage around them… healing the other enemies in melee and damaging Anshelm. You wonder if yours will be able to do that at some point. Either way, Shimah has to do a bit more work, but other than that, nothing too bad. You pop an Amrita, since resummoning your guardian back at the dungeon was a bit draining.

The next room, inside the gatehouse, is a little more daunting, four of each of the melee types, another half dozen faeries, plus a pair of Winter Sorceresses. You can’t get much of a good look at them, shrouded in white robes as they are…. Plus you know the pair of them summon a blizzard into the room before anyone can put them down.

It doesn’t bother you much mind, but everyone else gets hit with a slow and some ticking ice damage, plus reduced visibility. Sera makes her displeasure known by detonating a fireball that almost kills three faeries outright, and fills the upper section of the room with steam.

That’s pretty much your signal, tank squad mark two moves up to occupy the melee, and you and Sera deal with the fliers, even as Maya vanishes into the snow on the hunt for Sorceresses. Shimah manages to nab one with a paralyze when a brief gust from one of Sera’s spells clears the air… and well, Maya makes short work of it after that. So damaging, but in the end they drop without really endangering you.

Next room is up… and honestly, you almost don’t notice the monsters what with the sheer luxurious grandeur of the entrance hall, this place must be even bigger on the inside, because you're pretty sure the glittering white and blue ice tiles of the floor extend almost out of sight, and the grand stairwell leading to the upper floors is at least two stories high.

Right monsters, scattering gangs of faeries, looks like two dozen or so, each with a Yeti guard, so four of those. Two guardians at the foot of the stairs, and three sorceresses halfway up, along with a… Arctic Knight? Looks like a Frost Guardian, except carved to look like a classical knight with sword and shield.

“I want this place, I think,” Maya sighs, “So pretty, I could do without the monsters though.”

“Guess we better get started on that then,” Anshelm replies.

“You are both mad, this place is still freezing,” Shimah grumbles, casting out her healing totem.

You shake your head, you suppose everybody else must be feeling confident too, if they’re all joking around. It’s hard not too when Sera can flash fry a whole enemy group herself. Ah well, no time like the present to try out your new spell. You concentrate on the stairwell, and with a strange rumble, ugly blue green clouds form over the ceiling and hissing, bubbling rain pours down on the sorceresses and their guards. They really don’t like that. Then you all eat another blizzard and the icicle spears start flying, lovely.

Shimah has to work a bit to keep everyone healthy in the blizzard, but as faerie groups fall under yours and Sera’s combined fire, the enemy damage drops off pretty fast. By the time you get to the tough enemies, Maya has already backstabbed a Sorceress, and the others are at half health from your rain. Even with the knight tanking hits for them when it can they don’t last long.

The next room is, strangely enough a garden full of icy flowers… rosebushes to be exact, filled with nasty thorns. Also way more faeries than you can immediately count, with more spawning from particularly large rosebushes… lovely, a spawner room.

You need an Ether and a Potion by the end, mostly because after you shatter the first rosebush the room fills with biting frost that even damages you, and intensifies with each of the six spawners you destroy, but in the end the room is cleared with minimal trouble, beyond Shimah using up two Ethers just spamming her group heal until the numbers drop to a reasonable amount.

Last up… is another section of garden. This time it's occupied by a gigantic white tiger the size of a wagon train. Its name is Mittens. You fail to see the humor. Plus a three more rosebushes spawning ice fairies, because of course there are.

“That is too much cat,” you grumble, “I like cats, and still way too much.”

For the first time you have to put some effort into keeping your guardian healed, because ‘Mittens’ has no trouble tearing into it. Other than simple physical attacks, which are plenty strong. It actually has a lightning aura of all things, plus a frost breath attack. Tank Squad keeps the boss busy while Sera, Maya and you deal with the spawners and giggling faeries blasting you with ice. Shimah mostly sticks to healing with an occasional debuff thrown in. Around half health she manages to get her new curse to land on the boss though, which speeds things up significantly.

In the end Maya almost loses her pet again before the big cat finally falls, with a pitiful yowl.

Congratulations!
    72 Experience
    8 Job points
    90 Gilder

The party has Looted
    4 potions
    2 Ethers
    [Yeti Pelt] Warm and fluffy armor for hunters of the north. High resistance to Ice and a boost to Health. 240 Cannot equip
    [Ice Sorceress’ Robe] Imbued with winters wrath, boosts Ice resistance and damage, and grants a bonus to SP. Especially low defense. 280
    [Frost striders Boots] Thick warm fur boots that boost cold resistance, health and resistance to slow.
    [Frigid blade] A sword made of clear ice, high critical rate and bonus frost damage. 180 Cannot Equip
    [Artic Fangs] Beaten from the mouth of an adorable kitty. You monster. High chance of critical strike, bonus frost damage and chance of slow on hit. 270. Cannot Equip.

[Ice Elementalist Job Crystal] Low damage, good control. 300

“Not bad overall,” Maya says, “I’ll take the daggers and the armor if no one minds.” You notice that she has leveled up as well.

“I would actually like the boots. Slow is an issue for me, given how much we can be affected by a reduction in my healing rates.” Shimah says, arms crossed under her chest as she shivers.

“Meh, nothing for me, but I got a good pick today already,” Anshelm says, glancing over the list with disinterest, “S’pose I could take the job crystal if no one more suited wants it. The cold aura could be useful, it’ll help keep Al’s pet healed.”

“The same, I suppose.” Sera says with a shrug.

Well, what do you want?

[]Loot
    [] Evenin plans

Al Lv6
    Ice Elementalist C
    Health 60/74
    SP 37/96

Maya Lv7
    Dual Blade Hunter C
    Health 78/90
    Sp 15/44

Anshelm Lv6
    Spear Warrior C
    Health 122/200
    SP 3/52

Shimah Lv6
    Shaman D
    Health 98/116
    SP 46/115

Seraphine Lv6
    Fire Elementalist C
    Health 70/75
    Sp 21/87

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    kffs, Vlagh999, lurk and 9 others like this.
  28. Grosstoad

Hmm, the Ice Queen won't pop up until higher ranks, I guess.
    And we can probably assume the Bonus Boss is in the rosebush area.

Loots are pretty clear, I guess.
    As always, don't forget to model.

29. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

[X]Loot
    -[X]Al: Ether
    -[X]Maya: [Yeti Pelt], [Arctic Fangs]
    -[X]Shimah: [Frost striders Boots]
    -[X]Sera: Ether
    -[Anshelm: [Ice Elementalist Job Crystal]
    -[X]Vault: [Ice Sorceress’ Robe], 4 potions
    -[X]Sell: [Frigid blade]

[X] Evening plans
    -[X]Sell for cheap/Trade Highlander Crystal to Rolf (First choice as thanks for info) or Hiro (2nd choice), or anyone else who wants it.
    -[X] Check Mission boards and crystal/race mod shops. See if Sera wants anything, or if there is a good green Job Crystal for us.
    -[X]Invite everyone over at your house. It's been a while since we saw our mom, and she hasn't met anyone else in our group but Sera.

30. Falconis

Falconis Not too sore, are you?

Disregard potions, acquire ether
    ...And dat robe.