1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dungeon Crawler Quest(Original Fantasy)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by yrsillar, Nov 27, 2014.

1. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

Healing, and generic buff\debuff magic falls under 'Cleric' probably.

2. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Ok, another thing i have been wondering for a while now: Do we know how often we get access to Stat points? Is it solely through legendary items (though i seem to remember someoe in the party having somethign that buff something), is it through legendary potions/etc, or is it "every ten levels" or some such?

3. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Might be after we master a job

4. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

There are various methods. The easiest are race mods, which provide bonuses and penalties, certain rare skills and items, and yes every once in awhile through leveling. Some jobs do have stat buffing skills, or passive boosts set in them though.

tenchifew and Arkeus like this.
  5. redaeth

Race mods? As in you can change your race?

This world is downright bizarre.

6. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

Yeah you guys would have seen some examples at the higher level inn. There's a reason I said cap for 'humans' on stats are 10

tenchifew and Arkeus like this.
  7. GiftofLove

You mean you have to change races to go past those limits?

: (

I don't want to be a filthy elf.

8. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

Then pick a different race, there are an absolute crapton. :p

Xicree and Arkeus like this.
  9. redaeth

We're probably a ways away from getting race mods. Unless our bonus encounter nets us a boss extra that drops an early one.

10. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Goblin race mod may be a thing.

11. redaeth

12. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

“I’ll take the Warg Staff then, and the White Warg Cloak, splitting the amritas sounds good too. I could use a potion though.” You respond after a moment’s thought.

Anshelm shrugs, “I’ve only got one accessory slot, and I doubt any of you want the helm, so it’s fine with me.”

Maya seems a bit more hesitant, but eventually nods, “I suppose it’s only because you were here that we got so much anyway. I’d like the other cloak though.”

Seraphine shrinks when you all turn to her, “I-I don’t really get attacked so it makes sense for others to get the defensive items…”

Well that’s decided you all divvy up the loot and do what equipping is necessary. You admire your new staff, way better than the last. It looks like a proper wizard staff, you think a length of bone topped with a carved knob of bone studded with Warg teeth. The cloak is so pretty too, pure white, and fluffy, it covers you from the shoulders to the waist if you let it. Um… right not that you care about that. It’s nice equipment.

You can’t help but break out laughing when you see Anshelm though, with all the Goblin equipment he looks downright silly, the helmet really does look like a stewpot somebody cut a hole in the side of for his face. You have no idea how it even stays balanced on his head. He flushes, particularly when its clear Maya is holding back giggles herself, “Sh-shut up! It looks dumb, but its really good alright.”

Maya manages to control herself enough to pat him on the shoulder, “No worries, If I have to deal with looking like this, I’m sure our brave spearman can manage a silly hat.” She gestures down at herself. Which draws Anshelms eye leaves him blushing for an entirely different reason.

You can’t help but frown a bit, stupid pervy gods making equipment like that for women, stupid sexy Maya for making it look good. Stupid Anshelm for getting all distracted. Anshelm calms down though quickly turning away from Maya and nodding a little too quickly, “Right. You’re right, its just a weird hat. I’ll be fine.”

“U-um, excuse me, but what do we plan for the rest of the day?” Seraphine manages to speak up enough to be heard.

Maya taps her finger to her lips thoughtfully, “We have time for another dungeon, if everyone is up for it.”

“I wouldn’t mind trying that Wailing Cavern place.” You add, feeling pretty confident despite the close call with the bonus boss.

Anshelm nods in agreement, crossing his arms over his chest, “Yeah, I’m sure we can take ‘em, besides the Bonus that place was a cake walk.”

“If everyone is sure, I suppose that couldn’t hurt.” Seraphine responds after a moment.

“Well, I agree.” Maya states, “Though if we run into a Bonus encounter there be ready with an escape orb if we start to be overwhelmed.” You shuffle slightly as her eyes pass over you. Hey your skill is great! If potentially deadly.

The four of you set off under the midday sun, crossing still more patchwork terrain… you can’t help but feel like everyone is a bit more open to each other now. You end up chatting a bit with Seraphine, apparently she’s from a pretty wealthy family, everyone was really surprised when she was branded.

She seems kind of down after telling you that, so you cheer her up with some funny stories about getting in trouble with your Mom and Uncle in the Mage’s quarter. You never were good at keeping your nose out of things, and in a place like that, curiosity often got you singed off eyebrows and unexpected time in frog form. It’s a good thing Mom found you in the fountain. Being a frog sucks. You manage to make her laugh, so you’ll call it a win.

Maya is giving you that weird look again though while she chats with Anshelm. It’s not like that!

Anyway, after crossing some hills, a rocky field and a bright green purple stream running through a stretch of sand, you find the Wailing caverns…. It looks more like a giant hole in the ground to you, but the pane of Mystic Script doesn’t lie.

Wailing Cavern
    Level Cap 5
    Ranks Unlocked: E
    Condition: Discover the Exit

“Okay!” Maya declares cheerfully, “This dungeon is a little different, the basic enemies are giant bats, so it’s a little harder to take them in melee. Al, Anshelm and I will be relying on you to slow them down enough for us to hit. Seraphine, try to finish off the ones Anshelm or I hurt, okay?”

You all nod, the party atmosphere growing more serious, “In the second room, we’ll have to deal with some insect monsters that can paralyze us. We don’t have a Cleric, and I only have one Paralysis Salve. So everyone make sure to take them down first. We can talk about the rest once we get the first two rooms done, the Cavern’s rewards are better if you complete it quickly, so let’s try to be as fast as we can.”

With everyone’s assent she activates the dungeon, and once more you are treated the gut churning sensation of space warping through and around you. When your vision and other senses come back you find yourself at the bottom of a deep pit, ankle deep in bones, light shines down from far overhead, and a faint wind blows through the tunnel leading out of the starting chamber, sounding disturbingly like the wailing sobs of a grief stricken woman. You guess the name is accurate.

Maya waves you toward the tunnel and fades out of sight, Anshelm takes point and you and Sera keep your guards up, ready to start spell slinging at any moment…. At least the tunnel has patches of convenient glowing moss, so you can see reasonably well.

The first room is a simple cavern, and when you enter half a dozen giant bats the size of big dogs swoops down from the ceiling zeroing in on Anshelm… well most of them. One goes right for your face and catches a crossfire of you and Seraphines spells. Wow your new staff helps, it only gets one attack in on you before Seraphine’s burn finishes it off. Only a couple Hp, you turn to helping Anshelm then, not that he’s having any problem, with his new equipment and his already good defenses the bats might as well be attacking a statue, if one that occasionally attacks back.

Clearly the room barely takes a minute. The next chamber, a cave covered in gross, gooey slime that sticks to your shoes, is a bit harder. There are less bats true, but there are four of these giant centipede like things with slimy pale bodies, way too many legs and mouths full of tentacles. Needless to say neither you nor Seraphine approve, Anshelm uses his ability to pull attention here, and you can’t help but feel grateful. You show it by blasting the nasty bugs with freezing wind, they all slow down, and one freezes entirely. Seraphine waits until Maya strikes tearing open the bugs back with her new daggers, and finishes it with a bolt of fire.

By mow your attack drew a couple of bats though, and Anshelm is a bit too busy with the crawlers, so you have to do some dodging while you freeze them out of the air. Your new cloak does a decent job of protecting you, but you still get to find out what it feels like to be bitten by a giant bat… its weird, there’s very little pain, but you think that’s a branded thing. When your vision clears of angry bat, you see that Anshelm did manage to get paralyzed by a lucky shot. The other crawlers are dead though.

As Maya applies the salve and he shudders back into motion, she speaks up, still in serious mode. You chug a potion while you listen, cause those bats kinda hurt. Thinking about it, you pop an Amrita into hand as well. Potion’s taste kinda minty, weird. “The next room is probably the one with the bonus encounter… it’s the biggest aside from the Boss room, so keep an eye out. “Once the bats engage some cave crocodiles will come out of the lake to attack, so make sure you draw them Anshelm.”

He shivers as the sensation comes back to his limbs, but gives you all a thumbs up, already looking confidant again. “After that is a room with some slime monsters… we’ll need you and Seraphine to do most of the damage in there Al, they resist physical attacks.”

“Got it. They won’t know what hit them, right Sera?” You shorten her name without thinking, mostly because you’re lazy with names, and hers is way too long.

She nods, doing her best to look confident, “Yeah, There won’t e-even be ash left!”

Maya just laughs, “Good to know, be ready just in case the bonus triggers.”

The next room is a stretch of cavern beside an underground lake that stretches out beyond your sight, as Maya said bats attack right away. You fend one stray off, while Anshelm distracts the others. Within a few seconds, two big white scaled reptiles emerge from the lake to attack, and Anshelm draws them with a challenge. Cave Crocodiles you guess. Either way, they sure don’t like being frozen. They have sure take a lot of hits before they go down though.

Then what you were half expecting/dreading happens

BONUS TRIGGERED
    The Child of the Deeps rises

Anshelms drinks down a potion just in time to raise his shield against the hammerblow of a slimy white tentacle that rises from the water. The second tentacle drives him back further. You can see the nasty looking spike laden suckers on the underside of the tentacles as they writhe and reorient on Anshelms new position.

All of you attack without needing anything to be said. Seraphine concentrates on burning one tentacle while you slow and freeze the other. Anshelm does his best not to get dragged into the water, and Maya strikes where she can, drawing spurts of nasty green ichor with each stab.

Then you hear Sera shout your name, and look up in time to see the tentacle you’ve been hitting lash out toward you. You raise your staff, but its not anywhere near enough. Stars explode across your vision as you slam into the wall of the cavern. You vaguely note that half of your health bar just vanished, where did it go?

The tentacle winds up for another blow, and then spasms under the fire scorching it, and Maya severing something important close to the waterline. It drops twitching to the ground as you pull a potion from your inventory and drink like your life depends on it.

Ah… you think the Monster is mad now. The body is on the surface, and there are eight shorter tentacles writhing around now that one of the big ones is gone.

“Take out the eyes!” Maya’s shout shakes you out of your haze as you scramble back to your feet, and Sera does as asked, shooting a bolt of fire into one the creatures big, glassy eyes and drawing a screech of pain that makes your ears ring. You aim a frost blast for the center of the writhing mass of tentacles, as Anshelm pins the remaining Large tentacle with his spear, and shouts a challenge, stupidly brave warrior, you have half health, at least drink a potion first!

You see a ripple in the water as Maya fades from sight and dives into the lake, and you concentrate on throwing every bit of ice you can at where the monsters tentacles are… more than just hurting and slowing it. The water freezes around it, locking tentacles in place for Anshelm and Sera to destroy.

Then the monster shrieks and jerks in the water, as Maya appears astride the end of of its eleongated body, out of reach of its shorter tentacles as she stabs everything that looks vaguely important.

It takes a lot more hitting, but with you locking it down with frozen water, and Anshelm constantly forcing it to pay attention with his challenges, it finally stops thrashing.

You collapse to your knees as the shock finally hits you, holy crap that thing could have killed you with one more good hit, and you’re almost out of SP. You glance up and can’t help but giggle, you created a miniature iceberg with all the cold you poured into that, and now that the monster has faded it looks like something a bunch of moles tunneled through.

You take both of your amritas. Its unfortunate, but you are completely empty, you see Seraphine doing the same, and even Anshelm takes one, it looks like using his challenge so much was draining.

As Maya returns to the shoreline Sera approaches you, “Are you alright Al? I… it was scary when you got hit.”

You nod, trying to brush it off, “It’s fine, if he can take all the hits, I can take one.”

Anshelm hears you, and gives you a grudging nod, “…Yeah, I have a lot more armor than you though. Good job freezing the tentacles.”

“Good work everyone.” Maya puts in cheerfully, “I honestly thought we would have to escape from that. The next room will be no problem right?”

You all nod, even Sera, it seems she’s getting a little more confident.

The next room is indeed no problem, though full of all manner of gross, sticky pools of multicolored fluid, only two of them are animate, it seems luck gave you the absolute minimum number of foes here. They go down easily between you and Seraphine.

“Just the boss and the room after left.” Maya says cheerfully as the last slime cracks apart into chunks of ice.

“There’s a room after the boss?” Anshlem asks.

“Mmhm, The boss isn’t the condition, so it isn’t the end.” Maya responds, “After the boss we have to find our way through a maze of tunnels with endlessly spawning bats. The boss is where I got my armor from by the way, so its hard to see. It’s called a Displacer Beast, and it’s never where it looks like it is. Remember to aim your spells where the shadow is Sera. It will be less of a problem for Al since his spell is an area of effect.”

Once again, the actual dungeon boss is kind of a let down after the bonus encounter. The Displacer beast is really fast and hits pretty hard, but once you land a slow, it only takes a few minutes fighting to put it down. Anshelm has to drink another potion, but all is pretty much well. The bats serving as its chaff are hardly a threat after the giant squid thing either.

The tunnels are… annoying, but you quickly notice the feeling of warm wind from one of the tunnels and are able to lead the party out, before the bats can really become a problem. Hah, Perception is all sorts of useful!

Maya pats your shoulder and smiles as you reach the exit, “Great job Al, that room usually takes two or three times as long.”

With that the Mystic script declaring your victory comes up, and it's once again time to divvy up loot

Congratulations!

You have Gained the following

65 Experience
    9 Job Points
    38 Gilder

The Party Has Looted

2 Potions
    1 Amrita

Crocodile Jaw: A shield made to resemble the jaw of one of these beasts. Damages enemies who miss you. Cannot Equip
    Shawl of the Naiad: An thin white shawl that gives the wearer a small chance of charming enemies when they notice the wearer. Increases effectiveness of Water skills
    Displacer’s Hide: Armor made from the hide of a displacer beast, sleek and black, it increases the wearers stealth. Cannot equip
    Earthspeaker’s Boots: A pair of rather common looking if finely made boots. The wearer’s earth skills are more potent, and they are more likely to find treasure in the underground.

Not as much obviously useful stuff here. You wonder if maybe an earth elementalist Job drops in this cave, those boots make you wonder. You blink as another pane pops up Declaring that you are now level two... all you got is five more Health and six SP though. Kinda underwhelming. Looks like Anshelm leveled up too... he got eleven health, but only three SP

“I’ll take the shield and the potions, if no one minds.” Anshelm speaks up after a moment.

Maya sighs, “Darn, just the same boss drop. It sells for a good hundred fifty gilder though, I kind of like the look of that Shawl, I’m pretty sure charm skills are based off Charisma.”

Seraphine just shrugs, “Um… Mister Al used more amrita’s than I did, so he can have that. I could take the boots or the armor..” She glances around at all of you and blushes darkly, hurrying on, “..N-not to wear or anything, but I could sell it!”

Well, what do you want?

[] Write In

That aside, it’s time to head back to the city, its late afternoon now… time passes weirdly in dungeons. So when you get back what should you do? One one hand, you left in a real rush this morning and didn’t say goodbye, just a left a hastily scribbled note. You doubt Mom noticed, she’s hardly ever home, but uncle might be kinda mad. Maybe you should go home and face the music before it gets worse.

On the other hand… you could check out the job board in the city plaza. You were too excited this morning, but jobs can be pretty profitable too, if a lot more boring. You could shop…. Or maybe just hang out with some of your party members. Of course, just heading straight to the Inn would work too.

Select One Action.

[] Return home… not to the Inn but home, you kinda left without saying anything before anyone woke up this morning… you might wanna apologize.
    []Lets not and say we did, Uncle is probably mad. Just head to the Inn to rest and socialize.
    []Shopping trip! You have a bit more gilder now, so you can probably buy some stuff before the shops close
    []See if one of your companions feels like hanging out for the evening, they all seem pretty cool.
    []Check out the Job board, see if theres anything you can finish for a quick bit of Gilder.
    []Something else?(Write In)

-2 Potions
    -2 Amrita

Party UI
    Al Lv2
    Ice Elementalist E
    Health 45/55
    SP 25/61

Maya Lv3
    Dual Blade Hunter D
    Health 41/53
    Sp 17/30

Seraphine Lv2
    Fire Elementalist E
    Health 44/44
    Sp 21/55

Anshelm Lv2
    Spear Warrior E
    Health 78/121
    SP 14/28

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  13. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

[X] Take the Boots they'll work along side of your perception skill pretty nicely. Maya gets the Shawl. Shield for Anshelm. Let Sera keep the armour.
    [X]See if one of your companions feels like hanging out for the evening, they all seem pretty cool.

14. Xicree

Shouldnt we all be at lvl 2? or were we at level 0 before?

Al and Anshelm it says are lvl 1

15. redaeth

[X] Loot divisions!
    -[X] Al
    --[X] 2 Amrita
    -[X] Maya
    --[X] Shawl of the Naiad
    -[X] Seraphine
    --[X] Displacer’s Hide
    --[X] Earthspeaker’s Boots
    ---[X] Ask Sera if she would consider using the boots instead of selling them. The added loot drops could only help even if there hasn't been any Earth Skills yet.
    -[X] Anshelm
    --[X] 2 Potions
    --[X] Crocodile Jaw

Earthspeaker boots might be pretty useful for us, since it'll enhance loot drops on top of our Cat's Curiousity. Though we might want to wait till we can equip a second accessory as we needed the boost from the cloak. Jeesh that encounter rate is going to be troublesome.

Best to keep relationships up. So homeward. We can shop in the morning since we need to refresh our potions.

[X] Return home… not to the Inn but home, you kinda left without saying anything before anyone woke up this morning… you might wanna apologize.

Quick question, will we automatically head to the inn after this action is done? Since we can't recover unless we eat\sleep in the inn.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  16. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

We only have one accessory slot though, so we can't actually equip the boots.

17. Xicree

Can swap them around outside of battle, their main use is for finding treasure after all. Use them outside of battle and swap back before conflicts.

18. redaeth

Maybe? I mean you'd think you'd be able to search for things like that way, but these dungeons are practically using game abstractions. It might only count if you are wearing them when you defeat an enemy. And given we've had 2 for 2 in extra encounters I do not want to give up the White Warg Cloak.

19. tenchifew

tenchifew Well worn.

Nice update.
    And another Bonus encounter!
    Although not so lucky with loot rolls off it, it seems.
    Are we sure that boots are accessory and not a separate slot?

otherwise:

[X] Take the Boots they'll work along side of your perception skill pretty nicely. Maya gets the Shawl. Shield for Anshelm. Let Sera keep the armour.
    [X]See if one of your companions feels like hanging out for the evening, they all seem pretty cool.

20. Xicree

Yeah it is an 'accessory'.

tenchifew likes this.
  21. redaeth

From the handy little guide on the first page. So yeah Boots are covered under accessories. Apparently this thing is using a Rogue-Like inventory instead of proper DnD equipment.

EDIT: Maya'd

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    tenchifew likes this.
  22. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

Fixed the level listing and character sheet.

Also Bonus Bosses are rare I promise! The dice just really wanted your first day to exciting I guess.

Edit: Since it seems unclear you can't equip or unequip items in Dungeons. Anywhere outside is fine. Jobs and Skills can only be changed in the City though.

Arkeus, Xicree and tenchifew like this.
  23. GiftofLove

So everyone is walking around barefoot?

24. redaeth

Well... darn, looks like we'll have to hold onto the boots until level 5 to use them. Or just sell em.

Nah, equipment is different then clothing. We are wearing our regular clothes under the robe.

25. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

You can wear normal clothes as much as you want you can only EQUIP so many items though. Also Equipped items will always cover/replace normal not!equipment clothes. Hence Maya's problem. The cloak helps though. Anshelm was sad. :p

Not that Maya is seriously concerned by it. There are benefits to being distracting.

Edit: Yeah, Your going to rest at the Inn when the action is done regardless.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    Xicree and tenchifew like this.
  26. GiftofLove

Surprised she doesn't buy a cloak.

27. redaeth

Hmm, I doubt too much will happen tonight that will effect things tomorrow. So, pre-emptive planning on Dungeons! Shall we tackle Crystal Lake? Or redo Goblins and Wailing on the next rank up? Or try for all three?

Maybe put on the boots for Gobbos, then switch to cloak for the Caverns and Lake?

28. Xicree

I say Crystal Lake.

29. redaeth

You know, since we can't use the boots we should instead give them to Sera. It'll still boost our over all loot tables right? And she is lacking an accessory. Better then letting them rot.

Plus last loot table we did take two greens and Sera didn't get a single one. I personally have no problem letting her have both.

30. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

I'd like to do the goblin another time TBH, as when Maya levels up it won't be accessible again, and it seems like a "easy" way to grind some decentish stuff, and from then we can get some better dungeons.

E.G, one 'easy' and one 'hard' dungeon every day.

As for the boots, yeah, they don't seem usable right now, though i wouldn't mind keeping them for later, especially if we get some earth magic.