1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Safe For Work Worm Ideas thread

Discussion in 'CW Index' started by Prince Charon, Mar 19, 2014.

1. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Yaaaaa, no. That violates 3 things: Common sense and logic, the law, and the hippocratic oath.

2. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

A lot of things violate a lot stuff in Worm. Even the doctors know that violates a whole bunch of stuff.

Though in this case the law isnt violated cause that is a court decision (that nobody other than certain people know about).

3. ShadowStepper1300

ShadowStepper1300 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Um, it's literally the job of the courts to interpret the law and provide punishments for breaking it, not violate it.

Prince Charon, vyor and TanaNari like this.
  4. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

Tell that to the Worm-verse where wearing a mask allows someone to get away with murder without having their name be released and hunted down.

TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  5. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

You just describe the problem with DC and Marvel.

Adyen and daimahou like this.
  6. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

... Not really? Far as I know, most of the villains' identities are revealed rather quickly in cases where it matters and they're caught, at least.

Sure, it's common enough (especially in DC) to have villains who no longer have a civilian identity (Joker, Juggernaut) or who don't need secret identities (Darkseid, Doctor Doom), but most of the time identities are made public and in Marvel the government scours the country for criminal superhumans (especially the mutants). All Batman's foes seem to get revealed in pretty much the second encounter.

No, seriously, can you name a long-running Marvel or DC villain who's kept a secret identity secret? I can't.

daimahou and Zackarix like this.
  7. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

... Maybe because they don't know their names? Once the E88's names came out they were immediately gone after.

In other words:

Luthor got voted into the presidency.

Prince Charon and Snake/Eater like this.
  8. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Yeah, but that was AFTER he served a prison sentence.

9. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

That doesn't actually matter. Felons aren't allowed to run for president IIRC.

10. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Untrue. As long as you're a native born US citizen who's at least 35 and has spent the last 14 years living in the USA, you can run for president. Doesn't matter what crime you've committed- in fact, you can run from your prison cell if you want.

Does make it more difficult to get people to vote for you, however.

Zackarix, daimahou and vyor like this.
  11. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Huh.

Oh! Deathstroke had a secret identity. Same with sportsmaster. Clayface did(duh). Poison ivy did... For marvel there was magneto for a while.

Really the big issue with that question is how many villains actually had the option to hide themselves. Most of them were physically deformed or completely insane after all.

TanaNari likes this.
  12. ShadowStepper1300

ShadowStepper1300 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm guessing that there is specifically a law in Worm separating cape identities from civilian identities.

13. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Had being one half of the operative term- the other is he managed to not get caught for quite a while.

Not really familiar with him, but didn't he generally stick to petty crime? You know... the stuff that generally doesn't attract FBI attention?

Well, being a shapeshifter or someone who doesn't have to be within a hundred miles of the crime does help with secret identities.

Well, in the "old" comics, he was assumed dead as a victim of the holocaust. Dunno what the new variant looks like.

There is that. But still, it destroys the assertion that Marvel and DC's legal forces had any respect for those hiding behind a mask.

14. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

True, but do worm authorities? I don't think they do as, for the most part, they seem to release the names after the villain gets to the birdcage(if they actually know the name, I highly doubt Lung has many surviving records about that).

15. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

You're trying to say that once someone's identity becomes known they get hunted down while I'm saying that they can murder without having their names released or searched for (ie Kaiser who went after the guy who broke the unspoken rules canonically before the story started). They're different things.

16. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Question: How do you figure out the identity of a person wearing a full suit of plate armor?

TanaNari likes this.
  17. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

Don't they have some kind of registry for full suit of plate armor in America?

18. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

[​IMG]

N... No. What... What?

Like, I googled for one, because that's just so what that it had to be a thing and it's not.

The fuck did you get that from?

19. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

... Well, just thought that since they don't have armors left lying around in places they would have some kind of registry for it if someone decides to get some so they somehow get money from it, but it seems I'm wrong.

20. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

No, that's just taxes. Besides the point, kaiser makes his own armor with his power.

TanaNari and ShadowStepper1300 like this.
  21. Metallix666

Metallix666 Versed in the lewd.

Keep in mind, most of what we know about the 'unwritten' rules came from a thinker, along with a fairly weak justification for being a villian. What's more, the undersiders were really the only ones shown to care about them.

The whole 'no unmasking' stuff mostly seems to apply to other capes and is heavily slanted towards the villians. the justification seems to be "you dont look for my identity and I dont paint the walls with your family's blood."
    iirc, thats fanon.

Prince Charon, vyor and Zackarix like this.
  22. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

By using devices to detect moving pieces of metal that disappears after a while so you don't mix them up with vehicles? Using a really strong magnet against him?

Hmm. Could be, and I'm really too tired to dig around chapter 15 to find out if it was or not.

Then how about Oni Lee? He's killed more than enough people but nobody's tried to unmask him yet.

Prince Charon likes this.
  23. Metallix666

Metallix666 Versed in the lewd.

again, "you dont look for my identity and I dont paint the walls with your family's blood."

The examples you keep using, Kaiser, Lung, Oni Lee, most of the empire capes etc, are all killers. Anyone stupid enough to try unmasking them is just going to get themselves and others killed.

Keep in mind, the heros dont follow the rules because they want too. The heros are out numbered and the villians are killers.

In canon, this was Purity's response to being unmasked.
    So, think of it like this. The Protectorate releases all the names they have. Every villian they have ever dealt with, fought or arrested is publicly unmasked... then what?

The capes they have unmasked no longer have anything to lose. No reason not to kill everyone who gets in their way. Keep in mind, we are talking about people who can depopulate a city. This isn't Marvel/DC, the villians look just as normal as everyone else. Night and fog for example, what would happen if they walked into a crouded mall - say during black friday - and started attacking people?

The villians sorta follow the rules cause it's convenient. The heros follow it because they dont have a choice.

24. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

This really just means that if there is a strong enough reason, the law is willing to bend the rules for those who has the power to pervert them. I'm still fine with what I wrote.

25. chrnno

chrnno Time Traveller

The way I see things it would be an even greater perversion of law to just follow the letter blindly regardless of the collateral damage.

Prince Charon, vyor and TanaNari like this.
  26. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

How do you know that? For all we know, lots of people tried. Could be he doesn't keep a civilian identity to unmask- his personality was annihilated by his power (silly as that concept is in a supposedly purely physical universe like Worm)- and you can't locate something which doesn't exist.

Zackarix and vyor like this.
  27. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

I always assumed it to be some form of specialized brain damage. Brains are very finicky things, it wouldn't surprise me if there was something difficult with properly arranging the billions or trillions of atoms in a brain.

28. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

The first simply isn't a thing and why would the second work?

TanaNari likes this.
  29. Snake/Eater

They would get to play Santa and Mrs Claus this year at the E88 Christmas Banquet and give away all the presents they collected on the way out.

ShadowStepper1300 likes this.
  30. Snake/Eater

What would happen if there was a purge in the WormVerse?

Like a few years after the news that parahumans came in existence, there had been a coup d'etat on the platform to reduce crime and protect the economy.

Thus the purge was born as the world looked on in horror at the former united States of America.