1. The Seventh Rule:
    Threads that have been dormant for 1 month are considered dead threads. IF you make a post to a dead thread, it must be a significant contribution; story update, new information on current events, new activity for games elsewhere, etc. Asking if a story or quest is dead or will be continued does not count.
    Brought to you by your oppressive neighborhood ⑨
    Dismiss Notice
  2. After some discussion backstage, I have altered Rule 2 a bit to clarify its function. Please check it out in the Rules post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. After repeated requests and a backstage conversation, I will shortly be implementing an Index subforum in each of the Q&R forums and the NSFW CW forum. Our mods have agreed to do the dirty work of moving said threads, which will be done over the next day or three.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Alerts on thread OP posting are now enabled.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The server upgrade has been completed. As usual, any infelicities may be reported in the appropriate subforum.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. In light of the flood of reports concerning political posts and the repeat offenses of people arguing over the same subject for the last couple months, politics is now banned on QQ.

See the post in the Announcements section for more details.

Dismiss Notice
  7. In the wake of the recent Cloudflare information disclosure issues, we've been asked several times whether QQ might have been affected. QQ does not use Cloudflare in any capacity, and so is not affected by the Cloudflare bug. You may wish to take action regarding other Cloudflare-enabled sites you visit (in particular SV), but there is no problem regarding QQ.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. It is with sadness, that we have to announce the loss of a QQ member. Thunderbolt passed away in his sleep several days ago. We were informed of this loss by his wife using his account.

Be respectful of his passing. Drop by this thread, if you want to say something nice.

Dismiss Notice

Safe For Work Worm Ideas thread

Discussion in 'CW Index' started by Prince Charon, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

This really just means that if there is a strong enough reason, the law is willing to bend the rules for those who has the power to pervert them. I'm still fine with what I wrote.

2. chrnno

chrnno Time Traveller

The way I see things it would be an even greater perversion of law to just follow the letter blindly regardless of the collateral damage.

Prince Charon, vyor and TanaNari like this.
  3. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

How do you know that? For all we know, lots of people tried. Could be he doesn't keep a civilian identity to unmask- his personality was annihilated by his power (silly as that concept is in a supposedly purely physical universe like Worm)- and you can't locate something which doesn't exist.

Zackarix and vyor like this.
  4. Lazurman

Lazurman Top Snek

I always assumed it to be some form of specialized brain damage. Brains are very finicky things, it wouldn't surprise me if there was something difficult with properly arranging the billions or trillions of atoms in a brain.

5. vyor

vyor The Mermaid of Airplanes

The first simply isn't a thing and why would the second work?

TanaNari likes this.
  6. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

They would get to play Santa and Mrs Claus this year at the E88 Christmas Banquet and give away all the presents they collected on the way out.

ShadowStepper1300 likes this.
  7. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

What would happen if there was a purge in the WormVerse?

Like a few years after the news that parahumans came in existence, there had been a coup d'etat on the platform to reduce crime and protect the economy.

Thus the purge was born as the world looked on in horror at the former united States of America.

8. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Experienced.

Reading random Star Wars fics shortly after having reread Birth By Night, had an idea only vaguely connected (in the sense that Vader is an important character), of Brian having a different trigger, and having a power that he likens to the Force, and decides to play up the Vader angle - it helps that he's tall, muscular, and has a deep voice, of course. He isn't necessarily cybered, but he uses a rather Vader-like costume, goes on about the Power of the Force, and so forth. Might have triggered on the Fourth of May.

Thinking that he's a Thinker/Tinker/Shaker, but it's possible that the Shaker (psychokinesis) power comes from implants or gadgets in his armour. Probably has a Blaster power as a side effect of the Shaker power (like Vader throwing things at Luke on Bespin), but he can probably build actual blasters for his team.

There's a naughty version in the NSFW Worm Ideas Thread.

9. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

I'm sure "some tinker" could make a super efficient metal detector. And the second would make it so that he can't use his power unless he wants to be pulled into the magnet.

10. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Welcome to 'Rule of Law 101' and why people follow it.

Lets say someone breaks a law. Obviously they have the police sent after them. However they are personally too difficult for the police to handle. SWAT is sent out. SWAT can't handle it? The FBI and other national agencies get involved. Still too much? The military comes into play.

One way or another, you WILL comply, no matter how much force they have to use to do so. The only way to avoid it is to have pull with those who are able to put a wrench in the wheels(politics) or to make sure the costs will be too high to pursue you. Worm villains usually use the latter.

That's the idea of the law in a nutshell, people follow it because they can't stand up to the majority. Quantity has its own quality, and the might of the majority means they can and will enforce their will upon those who can't stop them.

In essence? Might makes right is the only rule that actually exists, in our world and Worm. Make it so they can't enforce their will upon you, and you're free to do whatever you want. Crooked politicians, you know the ones who MAKE the laws, bear this out all the time until they give enough leverage to one of their competitors who uses it to advance their own position, and the cycle continues.

Why yes, I am extremely cynical and have a very very low opinion of the human race, as well as the refusal to blind myself to how they really work to make myself feel better.

11. vyor

The only cape that would work on is fucking hookwolf. Kaiser creates blades out of flat surfaces.

12. The Halfa Wannabe

The Halfa Wannabe Halfa is a bad House Elf

Uh, yeah, as I recall that was about having her daughter taken.

13. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Experienced.

To be fair, she was a Nazi, so that's a very plausible consequence of being unmasked (though to keep being fair, it seems likely that if they hadn't acted quickly to take her daughter, she'd have been very likely to lie low and flee the city with Aster and probably Theo).

EDIT: OK, idea - the timing of the release of the E88's identities is somewhat different, and Kayden does flee the city with Aster and Theo before Children's Services (or whomever it was) could get there. Purity is thus not involved in subsequent events, and Kaiser is distracted by the fact that his children and ex-wife (who also happens to be a damn useful cape) have vanished right when he least needs another distraction.

How does this effect events in Brockton Bay from that point on?

14. Waerloga

Waerloga The Oathbreaker

A somewhat standard "X character dies, prompting butterfly effects" story, with Taylor dying during the Bakuda incident, but instead of Danny triggering or something, he proceeds to systematically hunt down all of Brockton Bay's criminal element with nothing but anger and a sniper rifle, Punisher-style.
    Might just write this myself, but I don't follow through on things, even when I'm motivated enough to start in the first place.

doomlord9 likes this.
  15. Waerloga

Waerloga The Oathbreaker

"So," said Director Piggot, "you're sure he's not a parahuman?"
    "No, ma'am,"
    said Miss Militia. "He was laying on a rooftop when I saw him. Looking down the sights of a sniper rifle." She could have listed the make and model from memory, if she had been asked, it was one she had used in the past. Whoever it was had done their research. "And you say he shot Kaiser?" The Director's voice was somewhat incredulous. After all, everyone knew that capes fought other capes. That was all there was to it. They kept the Protectorate around instead of locking them up to protect them from rouge parahumans and the Endbringers. Normal humans simply had to hope that they survived whatever cape fight they got caught up in. Not try to fight, and certainly not kill. "Yes, ma'am. I didn't get a chance to approach him, as he fired just as I saw him. I wanted to check on his victim, see if I could help them, and I assumed he wasn't a cape, because he wasn't using a power, or wearing a costume. I think I saw a mask, but it wasn't part of a costume, just a ski mask. I didn't retrieve Kaiser's body, as Cricket, Hookwolf, and Othala were on the scene, but he was shot through the skull. No way he could survive that."
    Piggot sighed. "Well, god only knows what this means for the gang situation, especially so soon after the war against the ABB. The Empire will be out for blood, and this sniper will likely be dead by the end of the week. See if you can find him before then, will you?"

A/N- This is really short and really rough, but I'm a procrastinator, and I've found that precommiting via public posts and getting my ideas on paper both help with that. If I ever do get around to, y'know, writing this, the first chapter will probably have either Danny's POV with some exposition involving how he found out who Taylor was and such, or an E88 cape as Kaiser gets shot. My initial idea was to frame it from the perspective of everyone but Danny, and only switch to him for interludes (I had a cool idea for a Leviathan chapter from his POV that I won't spoil here), but I'm not sure that I can write multiple canon characters at all accurately, since most have a lot of characterization, whereas Danny has a relatively small amount, and his version of him is almost completely different anyhow. I'll probably edit this sometime to make it a little less flawed in whatever way I realize it is half an hour from posting, because I'm self-critical like that. These notes are going to be longer than the actual story at this rate, so I should probably stop.

16. vyor

You don't just get a sniper rifle, those are restricted weapons in the US. The purchase would be in a database somewhere.

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  17. Waerloga

Waerloga The Oathbreaker

Shows how much I know about US law. Personally, I blame the school system.
    I don't know, it's Brockton Bay. Maybe he bought it from the Merchants or something? I'll address it in the longer version, if I ever get around to it.

TanaNari likes this.
  18. vyor

Ya, basically, every gun is restricted, how much restriction varies by state and local law. Being that it's a city, I'd expect the restrictions to be very tight in relation to other areas. I'd expect gun laws to be tighter as well, at least in relation to real world cities. Places like rural texas would likely see them further loosened.

Another issue is ammo, depending on what kind it fires(good on you for not mentioning it by the way, a lot of the time people do mention it and things get weird) it would either be really hard to get, or really easy to get.

He'd have to have bought it from 1 of three choices: coil, ABB, or E88, the merchants do not have the resources required to run guns. The E88 and ABB are out for obvious reasons. And coil wouldn't sell a gun like that to someone that didn't work for them.

19. Waerloga

Waerloga The Oathbreaker

Personally, the question of where characters like the Punisher get their weapons has always been part of suspension of disbelief, as he obviously wouldn't buy from criminals but he's also a wanted man and he often buys guns that even the military'd have a hard time requisitioning. But this is Worm, realism, at least within the realm of the world you're writing in, is key.
    I'd say he either got it from a group that operates outside of the Bay, or a Bay gang that isn't considered by the Ubdersiders or PRT in canon because they 'just' run guns and don't have any capes, making them outside of the unwritten rules and therefore the police's job. Alternately, I could just gloss over it and say "just use suspension of disbelief" but that's no fun.

20. vyor

Generally he steals them or already owned them.

Prince Charon likes this.
  21. Waerloga

Waerloga The Oathbreaker

That's reasonable.
    Any thought, perchance, on the actual content? Not that I don't appreciate the feedback in any case, and the opportunity to expand my knowledge, but what concerns me more is if the writing was serviceable.

22. kamenhero25

kamenhero25 The Masked Writer

The idea of Danny desperately raiding an E88 storehouse for weapons seems like it would make an interesting event to write out.

Eh, no offense but there's not really enough to judge yet.

23. Waerloga

Waerloga The Oathbreaker

1. That's a thought. Maybe I'll throw in a reference to that in the edited version.
    2. Reasonable. I'll write something up tomorrow afternoon, if I remember and feel at all motivated.

24. vyor

It would be.

25. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Experienced.

Brockton Bay is only about 60mi away from Boston, a city historically associated with the Irish Mob. There's no way that the ascendance of parahumans did anything to deescalate the Troubles.

Make Danny's vendor an rIRA lieutenant and tie that into the plot somehow. Maybe the vendor is related to GU or something.

Prince Charon likes this.
  26. Waerloga

Waerloga The Oathbreaker

Dang, now I really wanna write more. I should probably sleep instead, all things considered...
    I can't really see GU involving herself in politics at all, to be honest. But I didn't even realize she was Irish, likely because I'm an ethnocentric American. Glaatig Uaine does sound super Celtic, now that I think about it.

27. vyor

Canonically, the rise of parahumans broke the backs of the mob.

28. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Experienced.

The Mob and the IRA/pIRA/rIRA are two (well, four) different organizations, but there was a lot of transatlantic trade between them. During Prohibition, booze went west while guns and money went east. During the Cold War, the pIRA got their guns from elsewhere and sold the surplus to American criminal groups in exchange for cash. The vendor here would've worked with the Mob at first, then switched to the parahuman gangs when they took over.

As for the pIRA itself, their Cause realistically wouldn't have changed. They would've simply transitioned from mundane leaders to powered ones.

vyor and Prince Charon like this.
  29. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

They... get their powers from makeup?

30. Waerloga

Waerloga The Oathbreaker

That word (and affect/effect) is the bane of my existence.

Prince Charon and TanaNari like this.