1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Recent Posts"

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by Selias, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Is there some way to turn off the "Recent Posts" thing? Or at least make it so that it's only there when browsing the main "Forums" page, rather than at the bottom of every page?

EDIT: Never mind. I don't know why I never think of Stylish.
    Code:
    @namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("forum.questionablequesting.com") {
      DIV.section.sectionMain.widget-group-no-name.widget-container { display: none !important; }
    }

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Least Devotee likes this.
  2. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

I'd also like to see an option to turn it off. The old one, with its single-line entries, was fine, since it just took up what would otherwise have been dead space next to the logo, but the new one just takes up too much vertical room.

Least Devotee likes this.
  3. Crazael

Crazael Could be wittier.

I'd like to be able to turn it off as well. Or at least set it to be minimized by default.

Walkir and Least Devotee like this.
  4. Master of Squirrel-fu

Master of Squirrel-fu The Original

5. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Nooot thirded. I'm fine with current Recent posts, though if it's put to the top, that's fine too.

6. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

I tried it up there after having it on the sidebar, but people didn't like it cause they had to scroll through it to reach the content.

Putting it at the bottom means you can scroll through a thread, and keep going and hey, there it is.

And I see people saying that it takes up too much vertical room... wut? There's not anything underneath it. You have no reason to need to scroll through it if you don't want.

EDIT: I could pare it down to 5 entries instead of 10, though.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  7. Crazael

Well, to me, it's less that it takes up vertical room, and more that it doesn't make sense to put it at the bottom (The purpose is to give an overview of site activity, right? Shouldn't that be near the top of the page?) combined with a general preference for sleek, clutterless interfaces, makes me want it to be as small as practical.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it being at the top if it were only on the front page. I usually navigate via alerts.

8. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

Unfortunately, the way it attaches means I can't control which page it appears on. I can only do that if it's on the sidebar.

9. Lement

Lement Blushing inComplete Coverage

Code:
    Code:
    @namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document url("http://104.171.4.145/index.php") {
      div.DiscussionList>dl.sectionHeaders{display:none;}
      ol.discussionListItems>li.discussionListItem>div.listBlock.posterAvatar,
      ol.discussionListItems div.listBlock.main div.secondRow,
      ol.discussionListItems div.stats dl.minor{display:none;}
      ol.discussionListItems div.listBlock.stats.pairsJustified {display:none;}
      ol.discussionListItems div.listBlock.lastPost {width: 250px !important;}
      ol.discussionListItems div.listBlock.lastPost a.username{float:left;}
      ol.discussionListItems div.listBlock.lastPost a.dateTime{float:right;}

ol#forums.sectionMain{top:330px;}
      div.sectionMain.widget-container{top:-800px;}
    }

Image:
    QQRecent.png

Note: It only brings it to top on main page, on other pages it will remain in standard form at the bottom.

10. Crazael

And how would I go about implementing that? Because my knowledge of coding is "Don't touch it, I might break something."

Edit: I'd also kinda rather it always be at the bottom than sometimes be at the top. Always on the top is best, but I'd rather have it consistent.

Valette-Serafina likes this.
  11. Lement

Lement Blushing inComplete Coverage

Stylish extension, as mentioned. Works best for Firefox, but works for chromium too(which has better native support, but that requires a bit more coding). Though, Chromium Stylish has probably something else instead of @-moz-document for location.

As for keeping it always on, ...huh. Interestingly, you have to use the url instead of IP; on third line replace
    url("http://104.171.4.145/index.php")
    with
    domain("questionablequesting.com")
    and from then on visit that

On that note, in it's current form the height adjustments don't work for that; so it's better to keep it always on bottom indeed; For that erase the bottom two lines that end with px;}

For always having it on top of page of every page....Off the top of my head, easiest method would be probably fix it position(so always occupies same screen space when visible) and make it only visible when header or itself is hovered. There are probably more elegant methods for that, tough, which I'll leave as open question here for a bit because I don't want to write up inferior stuff :p

12. Alerni

Alerni Not too sore, are you?

Oh wow, that's really helpful. I had someone managed to not at all think of removing avatars and all that when working on that myself so I ended up needing to rely on a scroll bar to not have it take up far too much space. This looks much better than what I had before

13. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

No one is asking for it to be disabled entirely; just for an option for individuals to turn it off if they desire (without futzing around with Stylish - any website where users need to install custom extentions to get a good browsing experience is a bad design).

The bottom-most screenful of a web page is always important, because it's what people end up looking at when they hit the bottom - which will happen if they're scrolling quickly, if they're scrolling down screen by screen using the PgDn key, or if they hit End.
    Without that list, the bottom screenful of a thread ends up containing the quick reply box, the thread page selector, and the 1-3 latest posts; this is a really practical and convenient combination. Whereas, with the list, you have to scroll back up to get anything useful.
    It's less of a problem on the forum list pages, but even there it would be more convenient if the bottom of the page more or less coincided with the bottom of the list. It's fine on the front page and on the compose-reply page, though.

On that note - the old compose-reply page helpfully showed you the last page-worth of posts in the thread; can we that back, please?

Valette-Serafina likes this.
  14. Emral282

Emral282 Touch Fluffy Tail

I too would like the option to disable it. Or at least have it take up less than my screen's height.

15. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

What it needs is not a enable/disable option but a way to shrink it into a title bar that can be expanded if the user wants to check it.

I actually don't even use it and instead entirely use the 'New Posts' link to see what has updated since I last checked, but being able to shrink and expand it, and having the last used setting maintained until changed, seems to be the best solution overall. It remains for those who use it but if it interferes you can leave it as a quarter inch bar at the bottom of your screen.