1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. dasstan

dasstan :)

The typo makes the post.

2. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

Missing a period between system and so.

Also, would not like to be at the bases where the PRT is holding the Vasil kids.

Zarohk and TanaNari like this.
  3. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

repeated
    different tense from the surrounding words.
    amniotic gel

Also, I laughed at using the antimaster drug as a preventative.

4. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Anti-master formula in a cross-dimensional anti-meddling squirt bottle?

tordg, Faraway-R, Sheaman3773 and 3 others like this.
  5. tilkau

tilkau Not too sore, are you?

Wasn't the anti-master drug based on the manton limit (appearing to have the same DNA as the Master)? Maybe I've forgotten something, but wouldn't this mean that you would need to take one specific to the exact Master you needed to resist, and that the effect is mutually exclusive (if you take multiple versions, you only get the result of the last version you took).

Wouldn't make using it as a preventative impossible.. but it would be rather hit-and-miss unless social situations are being very strictly controlled.

6. dasstan

dasstan :)

It works on the Manton limit, yeah. Nothing says it can't work on multiple Manton limits at the same time, especially since it works by basically signalling the shard that it is attempting to affect its host. So you just get lots of different DNA bits keyed to different parahumans. It's gross if you think about it, since it means that the people on the broad spectrum anti-master drug are basically just breathing a gas made up of Heartbreaker's kids' flesh.

TanaNari likes this.
  7. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

crystalline

TanaNari likes this.
  8. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Could also be amino gel, as in a gel made primarily of amino acids. One of the basic building blocks of life.

DNA only had to be close enough, one tailored to Heartbreaker will also work for all of Heartbreaker's kids.

Though if you think about it....that should mean that heartbreaker's kids should be immune to Heartbreaker....I'm just gonna shrug it off as Tinker Wizardry.

9. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

I think that after they triggered, they were immune to him.

They also seem to be immune to each other.

So yeah, it seems like a thing that could be done: fake that they're him, and fake that they've triggered if they haven't already.

Volkogluk likes this.
  10. Flammy

Flammy Gone for Good

What? I'm expecting Cuddle-Huggy-Behemoth variant to go into production as soon as they work out the radiation kinks in the design...

11. tkioz

tkioz Getting sticky.

Well if she is any kind of real Christian, she'd be fine with it. Forgiveness and redemption is a central tenet of the faith after all.

Prince Charon, Diller and Navrin like this.
  12. Ichypa

Ichypa I trust you know where the happy button is?

*solidarity five*

Yeeees. Want Rune interlude. I must have A Betty and Veronica love triangle, where Betty can warp space and Veronica is a Nazi telekinetic.

Plus, it would be only fair that if Theo hooks up with Trevor for Missy, Missy should hook up with Rune.

OT4 created.

13. Izicata

Izicata AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME

[​IMG]

[ANGRY BAGPIPE NOISES]

14. SkySkimmer

SkySkimmer Getting sticky.

Thinking about Endbringers, so relaxing~

TanaNari likes this.
  15. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 199- Emma
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 199- Emma

I watched Chevalier play with his sword for a bit. I resolved to get his autograph, but only after I had something to show him from my tech. The SEB sword was cool and all, for something took no real effort and was grown in a vat. Its weight, durability, and ease with which it cut, well, I imagined Taylor would be overjoyed to have zerg encased in claws and armor like that, and she deserves to be. But Chevalier's folded space power was incredible, and I could do so much with it. What I built for him would be the stuff to impress our namesakes.

I left the boys to play with their toys, and started playing with mine. With some exception to the mobile command system, I had yet to work with anything larger than the biosystems of the zerg, and those were mostly Rey and Riley's project. So little of it was mine. Granted, the best of it was that part, but it still was something I couldn't claim real recognition for.

This sword would be mine, almost exclusively. Endbringer matter belonged to no one on this team, at least. When Chevalier used this weapon, I would be able to point to it and say I made that. I should really do some research on mythological swords for a name.

I retreated to the hidden expanse of lab, and caught sight of Riley doing her part on the SEB tissue. I was still in biotech state, it was best suited for analyzing Chevalier's power, and I hadn't bothered changing out of it, and that meant I instantly knew she was upset. Something that had been happening a lot lately.

I sat down next to her. "So, how's the garden, Mushroom?"

"It's good," Riley answered. "Rey had some new theories on the Endbringers and how they're made. I'm testing the tissue for more clues. If we can find out how the Endbringers are built, then we can find a way to shut them off."

God damn it, I sighed inwardly. I start designing a new superweapon, and Riley goes straight to 'find Endbringer off switch'. I'll never achieve recognition at this rate. "In the same way you can black out Taylor's power?" I asked.

"Kinda," she agreed. "Actually, that's a really good idea. We know they're controlled extradimensionally. Maybe we can reinforce the dimensional boundary and cut off their communications at the source!"

"Sounds like something you should send by Dragon," I suggested. "That doesn't seem like your specialty."

"I know," she admitted.

"What's really wrong?" I asked, putting a hand on the girl's shoulder.

"Nothing," I didn't need my powers to tell me she was lying. She might have needed her powers to realize she wasn't fooling me for a second. "I just... there's this boy I like."

What? "Anyone I know?" God have mercy on whatever poor boy drew Riley's attention. "Has he managed to snag that scarf of yours, yet?"

"It doesn't matter," she sighed. "He's not interested in me. Doesn't even look in my direction like that."

Okay, this is something I think I can handle. "If it's Trevor, I'm afraid you're pretty much out of luck."

"No," she looked toward me. "Trevor's nice, but he's not... up to my standards. I have a number of highly desirable traits for a mate and expect the same in return."

"Ah, yes," I nodded. "I know that story well. Normal people use a number system. One through ten, where ten is the perfect combination."

"Eleven," she answered the unspoken question without a moment of hesitation. Oh, damn, she's got it bad.

"Come on, Tinker-girl, use your objectivity on this one," I insisted. "He has to have some kind of flaw. Everyone does. Come on, find something. If nothing else, he can't be that smart if he doesn't notice you."

"His girlfriend is prettier than me," she answered unhappily. "And nicer. And doesn't kill people."

Nevermind, maybe I can't handle this. "Oh. I can relate to that," I told her. Minus the murder part. Although, with the stuff Vicky was showing me, and my powers, I could be pretty good at it. And what I did to Taylor came so close to being murder that I avoid the label by technicality alone.

"Really?" she asked, her eyes showing the dampness of tears soon to fall. "What did you do?"

"Depends," I answered. "There was a time when I'd have trashed the other girl's rep and walked away with the guy, just because I could get away with it."

"I won't do that," Riley's tears were replaced by an angry determination.

"Neither will I, now," I agreed. "You want him to be happy, too, right?"

"Of course," she answered.

"And he is happy with his current girlfriend," I continued.

"Yes, and if he's not, I'll make him regret it," she added. "She's a great person."

Well, that's narrowing down who we're talking about, at least. "You're not into Zach, are you?"

"What?" she looked at me like I'd just suggested eating live scorpions. And she wasn't Riley who probably wouldn't have a big problem with that idea. "No, I'm not into Zach. That's just gross."

"He's not gross," I argued. "He acts like a dumbass, but once you get to know him he's smart, and funny, and nice, and gentle. Maybe a bit too gentle, honestly. The boy could really learn to be more assertive. Learn than girls don't need to be treated like spun glass."

"And you're still into him," the girl parroted my earlier words.

"Yes I am," I sighed. "But he's interested in Vicky, now, and she's been nothing but good to both of us. The idea of getting in the way of that disgusts me. So I'll just stay out of their way and wish them all the happiness in the world."

"But it hurts," the girl complained.

"I know," I confirmed, pulling her into a hug. "On the plus side, this is what they invented triple fudge icecream for."

"That sounds really good," she mumbled into my shoulder.

Our efforts to eat away our sorrows gave way to the obvious complaining about everything else. For Riley, there wasn't a lot to complain about. She loved school, she loved her new family, and talking about her old life was well outside our impromptu pyjama party. So it wasn't long until we distracted ourselves with something far more fun for both of us, allowing us to forget about things for a while and really enjoy ourselves with things that don't require boys.

By the time Chevalier's email came through that evening, we had built several graphical models of his new weaponry, complete with cost estimates and several optional features we might be able to include. There was no possible way we could build everything into a singular weapon. Really, there was enough there that we could build him three systems, and there wouldn't be a shared feature between them.

I could probably call up Kid Win and see what his theoretical modular tech specialty said about maybe creating a collection of systems for him to swap between when he deemed necessary. Then he could have all the options available for use. If, sadly, not at the same time. I mentioned that idea in my notes as well. Ultimately, the email turned out to be three pages worth of typed notes, and then two and a half gigabytes of attached schematics and designs, mostly in the form of 3D model images and schematics.

I left the computer labs near midnight, intent on seeing if Vicky or Zach were up for another late night session. Mom and Dad would just have to deal with me not coming home tonight, either.

"Sorry," Vicky's voice drifted from our exercise room. "You're a nice kid, but, it's not happening." I froze, shifting white. Superhuman hearing and the ability to suppress any noises I might make. Not the best stranger power in the world, but it's what I had to work with.

"Ouch," Zach responded. "May I ask why not?"

"Well, Emma, for one," Vicky insisted.

"Why?" he asked, and three bonus senses loosely related to hearing told me everything I needed to know about his feelings. "I don't want her. I want you." Ouch, indeed. Nothing I didn't already know, of course, but it sucks to hear.

"Living lie detector times a thousand, remember?" the undertones in her voice were more subtle, a result of her power. This hurt her, too. "You're cute in your own way, but I don't have feeings for you the way she does. She loves you. I don't. You're a good friend. That's the extent of it."

"But-"

"And you love her, too," Vicky interrupted. "So don't pretend this is some kind of hardship for you. I'm going to get changed for practice until five minutes after Emma shows up. You're going to apologize to her and she's going to take you back. Then you're going to tell me all about it and I'll congratulate both of you and mean every word of it. If not, there are three places on your body that I can use to make you wish I could kill you. Understood?"

"Uh... yeah," he agreed. Hints of concern and fear entering his voice.

I scrambled to hide around a corner as Vicky turned to walk out the door. "Just so we're clear. If you hurt him, I will punch you through the face."

====================

A/N- Emma hasn't had an interlude in forever, either.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  16. SirTinal

SirTinal Verified TinFoilHat

Damn it I hate when good writers manage to make people I loath sympathetic -_-'

17. tkioz

tkioz Getting sticky.

Ahh teenage drama... How I don't miss that :p

Fun to read about however.

Poor, poor, Riley.

I wonder if Theo and Missy would be okay about her cloning a copy of Theo so she's got a boyfriend of her own? What could we call him?

18. akitsu91

akitsu91 Out-rageous!

Have they known each other long enough for it to be love?

Sheaman3773 likes this.
  19. Nigel Burnelli Isaacs

Nigel Burnelli Isaacs Not too sore, are you?

Well an Emma interlude, nice stuff about the tech for Chevalier, but most of all the girltalk with Riley in which it's finally spelled out that she has a thing for Theo...We also get to have Zach finally admit to someone that he still loves Emma,and Vicky being good about it and getting out of the way even though it seems she also liked Zach quite a lot, Nice update and the Pantheon is not an emotional clusterfuck AT ALL.

20. Divabot

Divabot KILL ALL THE HUMANS

Someone needs to sit down with Vicky. "Vicky, have you considered ... not approaching every problem in the world by punching it until it goes away?"

21. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Someone needs to put a collar on Victoria, because this is getting ridiculous. People are allowed to not date who you want them to Damn it, regardless of what you feel. Lisa had a whole arc on it. She should share some of that knowledge.

Like, Vicktoria is going all loose cannon on everyone and if she isn't careful she might get hurt when she pushes someone at the wrong time.

22. WindCall12

WindCall12 Well worn.

hmm so Riley has a thing for Theo.

Maybe Theo and Missy will agree to a threesome.

Daedelus' Muse likes this.
  23. rooster

rooster Succ

You mean, like push them to suicide? heh.

TanaNari and GiftofLove like this.
  24. Ej190

Ej190 Making the rounds.

I probably have a dirty mind but that first line of the chapter..... You're really enjoying yourself aren't you TanaNari?

25. Jackercracks

Jackercracks At Two With Nature

She is still 13. Preeety sure that means they're still at the adorable pecks on the cheek stage of growth.

TanaNari likes this.
  26. WindCall12

WindCall12 Well worn.

I meant a three-way relationship.

27. Alterego9

Alterego9 Know what you're doing yet?

Pictured: The SB solution, and the QQ solution.

28. Cyclone

Cyclone Disciple of Zor

I'm... a bit surprised at Vicky's conclusions about Zach's feelings. While it's certainly possible he does love Emma, what we saw of their relationship seemed a lot more shallow than that and ended rather fast for someone to develop feelings that deep. Her actions after the party reveal are all pretty easily able to engender pity, but any relationship based on that cannot be healthy in the long run, and Zach's reactions to them suggest any affection for her he's hiding came from before the party reveal.

Then again, Zach's a natural trigger, who are, by nature, mentally screwed up, and he did just get mind screwed by Dream Girl. He could be having issues there. Lisa did basically put forth the same plan, after all.

On the other hand, TanaNari just established how... imperfect and unreliable Vicky's Thinker power is in social situations. Given her personality, it would not surprise me if she misinterpreted Zach's feelings for Emma to be deeper than they actually are. I got the vibe that Lisa's plan involved manipulating them into a relationship where those feelings will grow from what they are now into something more stable (see: Taylia), whereas Vicky is assuming they already have such feelings.

This is probably going to blow up horribly. If it does somehow become stable, I can't see it being even as healthy as Taylia's codependency issues. Either way, should be interesting to see.

29. Souffle

Souffle Know what you're doing yet?

Riley needs a plush Ziz, obviously.

30. fireball900

fireball900 World Conqueror (not Overlord)

Damn, I want that email provider, Gmail won't let me send anywhere near that amount :p

In fairness, I would have roughly the same reaction - I never have any patience when I know two people 'like' each other, and there's no good reason for the to stay seperate. I imagine my feelings would be stronger in this sort of situation too - relationships are one of the best ways of stablising people, which is 'kinda' important when the people involved can pass for deities (or at least demigods).
    That said, yes, she is kinda... indelicate, yes. Personally, I think it's a consequence of her natural personality (doesn't think things through) combined with her Thinker power - we've seen how Thinkers tend to rely on their powers too much, resulting in them being 'intellectually lazy.' And frankly, that described Victoria to a 'T' - She passes college courses, so she can think things through... she just doesn't like to. Combined with a Thinker power making it so that 9 times out of 10 she doesn't have to...
    In a way, it's possibly the worst power for her future maturation/intellectual/emotional growth - Her favourite way of getting rid of problems, as said by... everyone, is by punching it. Guess what her power tells her how to do? :p