1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Thread~ Recipes & Things

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, May 1, 2013.

1. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Ya need some sauce for these, I would pick chili sauce or self-made peanut-sauce. They look a bit burnt tho.

2. Threadmarks: Jerk Chicken - Fate's End
    Fate's End

Fate's End Know what you're doing yet?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Instinctually, I feel that this isn't dangerous at all. That since it smells and looks good, it would be a good idea to stick my finger in and lick it. Intellectually, I know that that part of my brain is an ooking monkey from the jungles of Africa who has never seen so much as a bell pepper in its life, and whose primary contribution to modern society is convincing people ghosts are real.

[​IMG]
    Off to the Pain Chamber you go.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  3. Malaquez

Malaquez Here and there.

Ooooh, jerk chicken?
    And yeah, pretty bad idea to taste the raw marinade here.
    You gotta reach Sean Evan's level of spice tolerance before you can attempt that. :V

Fate's End likes this.
  4. Fate's End

Ding ding ding!
    I ended up running into jerk in two or three unrelated discussions in like a day or two and decided 'welp, looks like I need to find some scotch bonnets'.
    It's marinating for around 20-22 hours since I didn't want to spend a lot of prep time in the morning.
    I've got a new carton of milk on standby; this is probably going to be the hottest thing I've ever eaten, even with the seeds removed.

Malaquez likes this.
  5. Malaquez

Malaquez Here and there.

If it helps, I've learned that hot drinks help with the burning sensation better than cold drinks.

6. Fate's End

Milk products (the more milkfat the better) are the best, though, since capsaicin is fat soluble and bonds to the casein proteins in them.

7. Aleph

Aleph Experienced.

Really? I’ve always experienced the reverse. It might dissolve the capsaicin faster, but it also makes the nerves they’re frying more sensitive.
    As with everything in life, hard liquor is also a solution to this problem too.

8. Fate's End

It's not nearly as effective, though. You need to drink a lot more alcohol to get the same effect.
    Though I suppose to some people that's a perk.

Malaquez and searcher8 like this.
  9. Fate's End

Prepared to fucking die.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds, mon."
    —The guy who invented jerk, probably.

Well, it tasted very good, but it didn't have that fuckoff heat jerk is known for, even considering that I only used half the called for amount of peppers.
    Which means that next time, I'm going to have to add... the seeds.
    I am pretty pleased with the side though; it's just the drippings mixed into some rice with a little salt, but the two parts compliment each other well.

That_baka2, Imabot, Sydonai and 5 others like this.
  10. Malaquez

Malaquez Here and there.

You madman.
    Remember to post pics of your reaction. :V

11. Threadmarks: Bran muffins - Fate's End
    Fate's End

My day usually starts with a muffin or some pop tarts. Pancakes or bacon and eggs are great and all, but often I wake up not fully functional. Plus, I'm pretty sure the cereal in my cupboard is alive at this point.
    So! Since eating a single pastry is generally neither healthy or filling, what is there to do? Well, apparently there's bran muffins.
    Rather than being made from just the starch of a grain, they have plenty of bran, the fibrous coating of the grain, in them. It's apparently healthy, filling, and a great source of dietary fiber.
    Unfortunately, it ALSO tends to be pretty dry, since bran is hard to get wet. Well, I'm not going to settle for dry muffins.
    First off, we need the most important ingredient:
    [​IMG]
    Bran. Traditionally, bran muffins are made with wheat bran, full of water insoluble fiber. Wheat bran, however, is bland and unappealing, so we're using oat bran instead. Much more soluble fiber than insoluble, tastes better, and easier to find.
    But, then we run the risk of making a big oatmeal cookie, and oatmeal cookies are chocolate chip's grosser cousin. To avoid that, and to make a later step faster, I'm sticking it in the ol' spice grinder.
    [​IMG]
    Why, you ask, do I call this a spice grinder when it is clearly a coffee grinder? Well, the coffee I prefer to drink comes in trays of bottles, and a good coffee grinder is a good spice grinder. As far as I'm concerned, most anything that advertises itself as a spice grinder is just a more expensive coffee grinder.
    [​IMG]
    Now I've got two cups of oat bran ground up, and to that I'm adding an equal amount of buttermilk and two tablespoons of molasses. This is to avoid that whole 'dry muffin' thing; by soaking up this much liquid, it should stay nice and moist.
    [​IMG]
    Next, the dry ingredients! A cup of sugar, two and a half cups whole wheat flour, two and a half teaspoons of baking powder (in retrospect, this part should have been baking soda. Oops!), a teaspoon of salt, and plenty of milk chocolate chips, stirred together well. Hey, it's still a muffin after all, it's not like we're making a salad. I fibbed about not using wheat bran, by the way; whole wheat flour generally has a healthy amount of wheat bran, and with this we get the best of both worlds.
    [​IMG]
    After a while, the bran soaked up all the liquid and pretty much became oatmeal; this got tossed into the dry ingredients, along with two eggs and half a cup of oil.
    [​IMG]
    Uh oh! I may have underestimated the dangers of substituting whole wheat flour for white. At a guess, the germ and bran soak up more water, just like the oat bran, threatening to turn the whole thing into dough.
    At times like this, I remember the words of my father on the subject of pancake; if it's too thick, add more milk.
    [​IMG]
    After emptying the rest of my carton (maybe a quarter of a cup?), adding plenty of regular whole milk, and another teaspoon and a half of baking powder, the dough turned back into a batter. At a guess, I'd say I added an extra cup of liquid.
    [​IMG]
    Trayed. I had enough left for maybe a few more muffins, but like the bourgeois fuck I am, rather than having my butler have his butler have a third muffin pan airlifted to me, I tossed away the extra batter.
    Sixteen minutes in a 350 degree oven later:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Despite my oopsie on the baking soda, these turned out pretty nice. Pleasantly sweet, moist, and a little chewy.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Imabot, Sydonai, konamikode and 2 others like this.
  12. Threadmarks: tonkotsu ramen from scratch - Fate's End
    Fate's End

A little while back, I made some tonkotsu ramen from scratch, but I haven't actually gotten around to compiling all my pictures of the making together until now.

I made the ramen from a couple of recipes. The first was Kenji's broth recipe, which necessitates a whole lot of chopped up trotters (and a chicken carcass to mellow out the pigginess). Personal note, they were softer than I thought they would be.

A lot of blood and gunk came out after an overnight soak, but even after dumping the water I could tell just by looking that there was plenty more left.

So I blanched them and dumped them in the sink.

After a nice scrubbing and chopsticking, the bones were as clean as an unused whistle.

It quickly became clear when I tried to add my leeks that my biggest pot was too small for this endeavor, so ran out in my pajamas to purchase the single shittiest cooking vessel I've ever owned.

It'll do.

Everybody into the pool, fatback, water, vegetables charred and uncharred.

A few hours of boiling later, the fatback was the consistency of jello and bleeding liquid lard. It got banished to the refrigerator, while the rest of the broth remained to boil all night and morning. This is the only thing I've ever made that I've just turned the heat down to low overnight instead of just being done with at least one component.

With even the toughest ingredients losing cohesion, it was finally time to start reducing.

Of course, it's fairly difficult to tell how much three quarts is without measuring, especially when half the pot is full of bone shards and leek paste.

Once I was reasonably satisfied, I strained it a few times, chopped up and reintroduced the earlier banished lard block, and emulsified the broth with my stick blender.

Nice and creamy, perfect to chill into a weird porcine mousse.

Broth, however, is not the only component of ramen. Next we need a tare; in my case, I'm using the tare from Ramen_Lord's recipe.

Niboshi, AKA dried baby anchovies.

Gutting them took a while, though it wasn't too hard. They smell shockingly similar to fish food.

Kombu, rehydrated, after way too much of an ordeal. I need to find a store that sells a better brand, because the only brand of kombu at the asian supermarket I got this from doubles as low grit sandpaper. When one has to filter their kombu water multiple times to get all the sand out, something has gone wrong.

Added the kombu water to some katsuobushi, tried to keep it at 176 degrees, which is a bitch and a half when one does not have a sous vide machine.

The dashi, strained.

Soy sauce, sake, and mirin, mixed and heated, glimmering like an oil slick in the mid day sun. When everything came together, shoyu tare was born.

Chashu, cooked according to Kenji's recipe, chilled, and sliced thin.

egg

The gang's all here. As much as I'd like to use fresh, fresh ramen noodles that I know for sure are decent are hard to come by in this city, even at the asian grocery stores.

Now for the assembly.

Tare.

Broth and noodles.

Toppings.

The assembled bowl, in different lighting.

This is amazing. The purest of porky goodness, throughout the whole bowl. Like someone took a slow smoked pork butt or fall off the bone ribs and liquefied it. The egg, though, I could take or leave. Maybe I didn't marinate it long enough? The pieces freeze well too; the broth absolutely will not fall out of emulsion, even after a month of freezing and a reheat from a block of ziploc'd pig-ice.

alhambra, Imabot, Sydonai and 9 others like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Boris Plov - Biigoh
    Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Have some Simple Boris Cooking Plov.

14. Biigoh

I know this is less a recipe...

But I've been doing hobo dinners... basically wrapping meat, veggies, and some sauces in aluminum fold and then baking them for 1/2 hour - 3/4 hour in the oven at 400F, and then doing 10 minutes with it unwrapped to give the meat a bit of browning...

da3monh0st3d, Sydonai and evildice like this.
  15. Malaquez

Malaquez Here and there.

Nah it is a legit recipe. Check out foil wrapped salmon or paper chicken. It's good stuff.

Sydonai and Biigoh like this.
  16. Biigoh

Lol... I meant more, I didn't post an actual recipe here with times and ingredients. XD

Malaquez likes this.
  17. Threadmarks: Youtube Ways to Cook Chicken Breast - Biigoh
    Biigoh

18. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

Umm... I think this is the wrong thread, Bii...

19. Biigoh

You saw nothing!

20. Fate's End

"Every Way to Overcook and Underseason a Chicken Breast".

Sydonai, aquinas and Evillevi like this.
  21. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

Let's be fair here: He explicitly states that he's just showing the cooking techniques at their most basic.

22. Fate's End

He's also A. rating partly based on taste, B. still putting some seasoning in some techniques, C. overcooking the hell out of that chicken.
    Not to mention that seasoning will change how the meat cooks in some cases.

23. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

A super simple way to use leftover hamburger buns is to turn them into cheesbread. Put some butter on the patty side, put whatever cheese you want on top (Gouda and Parmesan are a good combo) and put in the over for a few (few! You don't want to burn them) minutes, preferably on a broiler if your oven has it. And hey presto, you've got a nice side dish.

Sydonai likes this.
  24. Biigoh

That's standard cheese bread thou?

ie it's a good way to use up left over bread. :3

Sydonai likes this.
  25. Fate's End

cheese bread without garlic can hardly be called cheese bread.

searcher8 likes this.
  26. Biigoh

I don't do garlic, tend to put ham and onions on top of the cheese soooo... :4

27. Malaquez

Malaquez Here and there.

I like to make simple garlic bread with leftover bread. Butter both sides and rub garlic into the bread, then chop the garlic and add on top. Throw in the toaster for a few minutes, and bam, delicious garlic bread.

28. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Been cooking for family and myself since I was 13 or 14, and only yesterday did I realize that starch is better than flour for giving meats a crispy shell... Any other details I might want to know?

Sydonai likes this.
  29. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

I need some advice: Recently I have bought a spice-mixture for spaghetti or precisly tomato-mincemeat-sauce. The components are:
    Salt, pepper, onion, oregano, paprika, garlic, basil, celery, and parsley. All of it is dry.

My question is, when do I add the spice? When I grill the mince meat? When I add chopped tomato? When I let the sauce boil down?

30. Nitramy

Nitramy Captain Quattro, YOU wa CHAR

Am I the only one who puts butter in a double boiler with some garlic powder to make the butter first, then add the garlic bits on top of the garlic butter?