1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Horton

Horton Gone for Good

Actually, you might be correct, is it actually legal to ask for donations for fanfiction?

OrigamiPhoenix likes this.
  2. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Don't quote me on this, but I think Patreon works by supporting the person directly and whatever they want to do with it, well I'm not saying nothing, but I'm not not if you get what I mean. <. < >. >

AfroSpic likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Patreon has recently started being somewhat... Expansive in what it considers to be political fundraising, at least where... And I can barely believe that I'm describing myself as this, 'reactionary' viewpoints are concerned.

Sargon, Obliviated fan, Bgbg and 15 others like this.
  4. Queshire

Meh.

(Also, hey look everyone! We made the announcements at the top of the site. We're fa~mous.)

EDIT: Wait, if we're immigrants then does that mean- Nope. Not going to finish that.

Sargon, TheWoo, Manfredicus and 9 others like this.
  5. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Welcome to Cyperpunk land. Where the usual suspects pursue their quest to silence the voices of anyone who doesn't march in lockstep with theirs. Even if they march in lockstep 95% of the time, that's not good enough. Absolute purity is the only acceptable behavior.

I was told this would happen some day in the near future, but I didn't actually think it'd come to pass. Also sorely disappointed at the lack of badass cybernetic weapons.

6. Horton

Horton Gone for Good

Ummmm.

You're fleeing from a place falling apart and filled with drug gangs? (SV)

Wait does that make Lord Squishy El Chapo?

7. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Guys? I know a lot is happening today but come on, this is not a random chat thread.

Sargon, TheWoo, Bgbg and 16 others like this.
  8. ohA

ohA Getting out there.

If you want funding that shouldn't rightfully combust when you lay hands on it, there's always cryptocurrency…

9. Mr Zoat

See this guy/gal/other right here? They're a mod. So if we could try to bring this back to discussion of the story -or at least Young Justice in general- that would be splendid.

For example, no one has corrected my spelling yet.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  10. Phrexia Unbound

Phrexia Unbound Oooh...that's good.

I'd advise we get a Threadbanner set up that basically says "All discussion in this thread must be relevant to the actual fic or the latest chapter, other than that, standard QQ Rules for SFW Threads apply." or something?

That sound good? Good. *Goes back to reading an NSFW XCOM Viper King SI fic*

Ardy, Chaoswind, Dragolord19d and 2 others like this.
  11. Queshire

So, if DC wasn't a requirement, what settings do you think would be interesting to weave into this?

12. DeathShade

DeathShade Dol Amroth Comes

They put up a site banner specifically addressing people coming over for this fic, and you think it's not enough?

AoD_Patr, Norgarth, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  13. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

I'm a guy, just to make that clear. Remilia avatar is just that, an avatar.

Anyway, to make this a bit more official.

Guys? Back on topic. Especially if Zoat request it in his own thread.

14. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

I said before, and will say again - Paul visiting Babylon 5 and bumping into Morden is a prime omake material. Always was, always will be.

15. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Wasn't? It canonically isn't, thanks to the episode with Ambush Bug. Which, thanks to Ayame and Sunset Shimmer persisting in the Renegade continuity, is totally canon despite what some people might wish to believe.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

They wouldn't, there's a number of fanfiction writers who use it.

Even if you don't move your fanfiction there, it still might be a good idea to open one since I am sure fans wouldn't be adverse to sending you a dollar or two every month given the hard work you have put in on the story.

Alexandercctv and Chaoswind like this.
  17. Phrexia Unbound

No but I think it would help keep the discussion in this thread more on topic.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That would probably end badly...

The Shadows are one of the few fictional factions that are a much higher tier then anything Paul could potentially bring to the table.

FeepingCreature likes this.
  19. Phrexia Unbound

Could be worse, he could encounter the Ferengi.

20. DeathShade

DeathShade Dol Amroth Comes

If they obeyed the banner, they would be able to read Rule 5.

21. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

I think it would be a good idea to create an original story and have that be what the Patreon is officially supporting. And never link it in this thread as support for this story. Just put the link in his sig.

And if people want to throw money at him for a story that rarely updates, that's their affair.

22. Yog

EU full involvement shadows can be argued to be above WtR maltusians, yes. It certainly would be an argument, and it won't be a one-sided one.

Given their on screen feats, unless Paul runs into a primordial battle crab and for some reasons can't escape (such as having to defend something he can't take with him), he should not have much trouble. Remember, personal handheld weaponry of Centauri is good enough to kill individual shadows one-on-one. And singularity beam projectors are available to Paul. As are telepathic pulse generators, something that canonically shadow vessels are weak to.

My personal enjoyment of such contact would be derived from (mostly) non-violent interactions.
    Actually, encountering and interacting with Federation could be fun, yes. On one hand, they are idyllic society that progresses over time. On the other, they are self-crippling in regards to many issues. If anything, Renegade!Paul interacting with them in a role of a lesser (in power, not assholishness) Q would be an interesting sequence. Where Q shoves them into the path of the Borg as an object lesson, RenePaul would just chill around, serving as that same lesson, as well as genociding bad people.

BR549, Ardy, Alexandercctv and 4 others like this.
  23. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I almost didn't recognize you without your avatar, Vaermina.

Also, the primary craft of the Shadows has a sentient organic core consciousness which I believe makes it a viable target for assimilation. Combined with how the ring probably has a wide enough spread of sensory tech to bypass cloaking on the ground, and how Morden's "arrest" in canon indicates that mundane mooks can take down a stealthing Shadow if they know where to aim their guns... I think Paul could handle the Shadows well enough.

The real danger, in the event of either Orange Lantern crossing over into Babylon 5, is that he might be vulnerable to manipulation by select characters through fanboy bias. Less severe, but not one to be dismissed, is whether or not the anti-telepath training would let his resist the local telepaths... or, if it does, cause him to falsely present as a renegade telepath in the case of Paul. Grayven wouldn't have an issue there, because he doesn't look human.

Sceptic likes this.
  24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

<Raises hand> Uh, I dropped a couple of posts, back up on page 1 or 2. They might have got buried under the swarm of "Yay, new site!" posts...

25. Yog

Indeed. Also, if I recall correctly, Paul does have some minor telepathic talent, in that he's not a telepath, but he handles telepathic communication abnormally well, and can broadcast in a way that mundanes can't perceive, but all telepaths would notice.

He probably (almost certainly) would be able to handle any telepath of young races between his abnormal mind, soul, training and technology. Whether he could handle a vorlon psychic assault, on the other hand, is a different question (he could probably disable one of them with "say my name" answer to their "who are you?" question).

Other interesting parts would be him interacting with soul hunters (because super unique soul of orange light + access to and understanding of soul based technology on at least some level), shadows and vorlons (because he could, you know, pitch to them "here, power ring schematics, now shadows - start a local orange corps, vorlons - green corps, and settle the argument through whose corps does better" solution), technomages (because, while unable to do magic other than creating magical objects to be enchanted / used by a practitioner, he does know magic theory and has books on it)... Many factions, really.

Yeah, the more I think of it, the parallel episode of Paragon in B5 and Renegade in Star Trek (New Generation, I think, would be best) could work really well.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Ah, sorry, missed those. Just a moment.
    Thank you, corrected. Anything for the second story post?
    It's more that in the early days he didn't have any problem at all with M'gann being in his head, whereas most humans at least had some resistance.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Sargon, TheWoo, Bgbg and 8 others like this.
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Here you go. Post #38 in the thread, on page two, if you want the original.

28. Yog

You are the author and all, and I'll have to look it up tomorrow (or the day after, tomorrow is busy for me), but I remember at least stuff like being able to project complex impressions beyond normal "talk in one's head", and I think M'Gann mentioning that he might have a talent (she could have been mistaken IC, though). But i might be misremembering.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Centauri didn't kill any Shadows, the Shadows just moved back into phase-space when fired on.

The key thing to remember about the Shadows and Vorlons is that they were sandbagging pretty much everything. The closest we actually come to seeing one of them get serious is when Ulkesh jumps out of his encounter suit at the very end. And the only reason he didn't destroy the station singlehandedly was 2 other first one's jumped on him the moment he showed.

30. 9adam4

9adam4 No emotion, only "peace"

Several, actually... but many of them came with us.