1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Zoat got the banhammer on SV while running afoul misgendering. You'll find a more detailed version of events in the SV Rant Thread.

2. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I knew it! Despite all appearances to the contrary, you ARE a generally decent bloke!

(I hope the sarcasm is sufficiently obvious on the first part of that.)

But... but morphers are belt buckles!

Sceptic likes this.
  3. Kerfirou

Kerfirou Cultivating Dantian inside a Star

• After all the warnings here? Warned. Some of Rule 8, some of Rule 5.
    Finished reading SV rant

So he got banned for saying a trans woman is a woman and not a man? In his story? Huh, no wonder SV banned him for that, that thing is SV red button.

Poor, Mr Zoat , but don't worry, we don't kink shame people here. :D

RichardWhereat likes this.
  4. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I was talking more about how in that universe the answer to 'are you a man or a woman' could simply be "Yes"
    Or if the person you're asking is sufficiently eldritch, then "no"

5. rthomas2

rthomas2 _

...I’m assuming someone’s already guessed McCandless?

6. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

You know what's ironic is that Paul has been changed into a snake, a demon, a robot/cyborg, and will undergo possibly even more physical and partial mental changes but no one ever made a big deal about it but a one off character has a forced gender change and everyone start rioting over pronouns. Not to mention all of the shit Grayven experienced though it gets less sympathetic since all his actions tend to involve him being a major dick at times.

Plus the character is a man who was forcibly changed into a woman, thinks himself as a man, and desire to return to his original self as a man. Way easier than the Legion recruit who sex was listed as Unknown despite looking like a humanoid female with breasts and used female pronouns or didn't mind either male or female pronouns.

If either Paul or Grayven were to become female but still think themselves as male and use male pronouns would that make them transgender or not? Could they get away with using the female restroom or physically strike another female character without being labeled as woman beater or not?

7. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

You literally dial H-E-R-O and get a random transformation.
    In the comic I read the people he transformed into were from alternate universes, and they lost their powers during the hour of transformation, which led to to repercussions later down the line.

In the Teen Titans Go! comic (the one based off the good cartoon, not the shit one) there was some kid with a H-dial who was borrowing Titan's powers but that version seemed to only be able to borrow the powers of another hero who was already present on the scene, and the user had no idea that they were depowering the person they borrowed from.

They basically got a stern talking to and promised not to use it again.

That said, that's a single run from some comic I don't remember, and one issue of a kiddie comic, so it's hardly a definitive answer about how the dial works.

8. theVoidWatches

theVoidWatches Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

• Nope, there were enough warnings in the thread. Rule 8 warning, drop the gender discussion.
    I think you may be unclear on terminology. A trans woman is someone who was born with a male body, but who identifies as a woman. Mr. Hamill would not be a trans woman, because even though he's been forcibly transformed into a female body, he identifies as a man and would like to change back. He could be considered a trans man, however.

And my understanding of the situation is that Zoat wasn't banned for having his SI use female pronouns for Mr. Hamill, but rather because he commented that he, too, would do so in real life, and that he used the transphobic attack helicopter meme to make that point.

9. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

For the love of fucking Zeus stop talking about this! Current politics is not allowed on this forum!

Bgbg, Dragolord19d, topin89 and 5 others like this.
  10. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Could you guys have a read of the moderation posts, and then stop talking about it?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  11. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I must be mistaken. Because I could have sworn there was an H-dial with a full alphabet that you could actually dial whatever you wanted on it. So you could literally Dial S-U-P-E-R-M-A-N.

12. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Now that we're on QQ, fucking Zeus is an actual possibility for this fic. The SI even knows where to find him. And Zeus is... not the kind of man to turn down a fuck. Though he'd probably make you catch instead of pitch. Ancient Greece, am I right?

13. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

• You should know better. Rule 8 warning, drop the gender discussion.
    That was cleared up earlier in this thread, where Zoat mentioned that while the helicoper meme is often meant to impliy that you see someone's trans-identity as as invalid as someone else's attempt to become a helicoper, Mr Zoat supports actual transhumanism to the point where he'd be totally on-board with people actually becoming helicopters via brain-uploading or cybernetics.

Is it still a transphobic slur when you're being totally sincere about supporting someone's right to plug their shit into a computer and literally become one with a goddamn flying machine?
    I'd say no.

Honestly, I just want to live in the fucking future already. How come we never see shit like that in fictional universes unless it's some sort of horrific cyberpunk dystopia?
    Though I supposed that with an attack helicopter specifically it does rather run directly into the gun-control argument.
    How does the second amendment apply vis-a-vis my bodily right to air-to-ground missiles?

Actually, don't answer that. This discussion is politically charged enough already.

Also, my hot-take on the matter is that it's interesting that people focused on the he-or-she aspect, but nobody seems to be commenting on the fact that both in and out of character Mr Zoat is referring to the character in question uniformly as "Mr Hamill"

BigThink.jpg

Maybe there is, but the one I saw has an old rotary phone dial one it, and the number you call translates into H-E-R-O.
    There was also another one confiscated by the US government that had a much longer number to dial, which was S-I-D-E-K-I-C-K.

Transforming with the sidekick dial doesn't give you weaker transformations, it just makes you heavily reliant on orders from a superior.
    Worked great with the US military, till their guy ran straight into the Hero-Dial-user and got recruited in a heartbeat.
    It was... borderline brainwashing, actually.

Edit: Oh, looked it up, the one I read was called Dial-H published in 2012 and was apparently part of the new 52, so Mr Zoat probably isn't using that version.

Bramble Thorn and Sceptic like this.
  14. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

It's funny how you expect reader comprehension.

Hrm, I have more to say, but in the interest of moving things along I won't.

There's a rather lovely completed webcomic that does something like that, though not to the level of turning yourself into a spaceship. It is a romance story, though the setting is great.

15. Kerfirou

Kerfirou Cultivating Dantian inside a Star

Yeah, I don't care about that. It can identify as submarine as much as I care, as long as the sex scenery is well written, we're good. QQ is amusingly much more liberal than SV, like that.

And please stop the kink shaming/political discussion here.

Bgbg and RichardWhereat like this.
  16. Maxx Crowley

I must be misremembering....or there was an H-dial cameo on a cartoon or something and that was how it worked.

17. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

There could easily be multiple comics with multiple methods. Not like anything else DC is remotely consistent.
    That said, as I just edited into my last post, the one I read was apparently from the New 52, so Mr Zoat probably isn't using that version.

18. Generic_Generica

Generic_Generica Verified kōhai

Yeah okay I’m just throwing people out of the thread. Gimme a sec.

19. Generic_Generica

Generic_Generica Verified kōhai

Bye, see you in two months.

Bye, see you in two months, don’t let the door hit you on the way out,

Now stop talking about this shit already. Unless you want me to ban your ass. If that’s the case, by all means, continue.

Bgbg, linkjames24, topin89 and 16 others like this.
  20. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh, wow. The mods are a lot nicer here but you really do not want to cross them, cause they hit you and make sure you stay down if you do. I can respect that.

And yeah, we really should stop talking about this.

Lord Greyscale likes this.
  21. Maxx Crowley

So I did a little digging, and I'm not sure where that memory came from. I'm thinking it had to be an animated H-dial expy. Because I distinctly remember the dial user "dialing" the exact hero he wanted (one that he was standing in front of) and transforming into him just to show off a bit.

But looking at the H-dial series....it couldn't have been any of those.

iamnuff likes this.
  22. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

There are apparently other things you can dial besides H-E-R-O, with different effects, but no full list is given, and I don't think there's an example of dialing a specific hero.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/H-Dial
    http://www.infiniteearths.org/dialh
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dial_H_for_Hero

Legume likes this.
  23. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

For those who don't want to hunt through several pages:

I think the best detailed single post recap is here

And the best TL;DR single post recap is here

EDIT:
    Just be aware the mods have ended further discussion of this matter in that thread barring new information, and in this one as I think as well.

rkyeun and Chaoswind like this.
  24. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

I definitely agree. There comes a point where talking about how awesome the mods are here might start coming across a bit creepy (or a bit brown-nosey), and there's probably another thread where it would be more appropriate anyway.

rkyeun and RichardWhereat like this.
  25. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

I worry this might be frowned on as rehashing it yet again. I would delete that.

Legume and RichardWhereat like this.
  26. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

AO3 actually does have fancy formatting. You just have to really understand how it freaking works. The only things it lacks are links, although, with some finagling, you can embed some things- mostly just images, though.

CTrees likes this.
  27. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Can it do Orange quotation marks?
    Because I think by 'fancy' he means the specific features Mr Zoat uses in this story. Colored quotes and text to represent various conditions, and the occasional transparent text for Godspeech.

CTrees and RichardWhereat like this.
  28. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I say something on the wiki where someone used the Hero dial to dial "Horror" instead, and it mentioned this being a BAD THING but neglected to provide details.

Should probably let Hammil stew for a bit because man do I pity the fool who tries to get fresh, and focus on finding the thing.

29. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Yeeeah, that's not going to work for Zoat. The average link count per episode is probably well into the double digits (note - I said episode, not update). I suspect he's far too used to the markup used on xenforo boards to want to change to something that different. Not to mention the risk that he'd give it up as a bad job if he had to move boards again anytime soon.

30. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Robbie Reed dial, the original, the one that transformed this guy, does in fact have the full alphabet.

As far as I'm aware, he never dialed up a specific name to try to control his transformation, just HERO.

He however could do other stuff by spelling out different things.

Like SPLIT made him two people for a couple of years- A genetics mad scientist who would fit right in with Cadmus the Master, and the Wizard, who made two more dials that only had HERO on them. That and an hour limit were safeguards he thought were good ideas to include.

Possibly the inspiration for non hero dials that showed up in the post flashpoint series. It had gadget dials, copying other dials dials, a slider dial, and a dial an apocalypse dial.

So it's possible that the dial they are looking for can summon equipment by dialing gadget, backup by dialing help, open a wormhole to another universe with jump, or create a super plague by dialing apocalypse.

Bramble Thorn likes this.