1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I've never read The Boys so I don't know what that's referencing. Can someone sum up what that's supposed to mean, cause it sounds like some guy who regenerates his organs has his body parts sold to people who need them because he can make more.

Alexandercctv and Ardy like this.
  2. IndigoAbyss

IndigoAbyss Isaac of the Abyss

You really should. It seems like there's a lot of interesting story potential. I hope we get more than just one chapter.
    I'll be honest. OL, is kinda getting boring for me. And Renegade just pisses me off. All that makes me wonder, what about all those other Pauls? I mean having Paul stuck in The Boys universe seems like something that could sire a pretty good spin off series ( or is it story?), same goes for Red Lantern Paul and Blue Lantern. Or you might go back to the Marvel Universe. Diverge a bit from the main story, and explore other universes a tad more. But, you do you man. Whatever you choose I'll be right behind you!

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

How to summarise 'The Boys'? Take it away, peanut gallery!
    Essentially, superhumans without the sort of moral integrity or devotion to a cause classical superheroes have turn into moderate to total arseholes when the cameras are off them, and the titicular Boys are a CIA hitsquad designed to keep them in line.

Bereave (part 1)
    Bereave (part 7)

No, it means that after he has had sex with the corpse, he will clean it up and hand it over to the organ donor people.

Jaron, infinityDivided, c3qo and 8 others like this.
  4. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

Sybarite is how OL would have ended up if WTR started on QQ :D

Alexandercctv likes this.
  5. Greatswordsmith

Greatswordsmith Getting some practice in, huh?

Am I the only one who cares about what anti-green lantern Paul is up to?

DrThoth likes this.
  6. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

I still don‘t get it, and I‘ve actually read The Boys. Does it have anything to do with the Supers there spontaneously coming back to live as vegetables (as in strongly reduced mental capacity, not greens), or is it more about the just god-awful fate of the women who carry Compound V-infused fetuses (making them dead men, or rather women, walking)?

RagnarokAscendant and Navi-Hank like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

No, we're completely at cross purposes. It has nothing to do with any of what you just said.

Donor organs are taken from corpses.

Necrophiliacs like having sex with corpses.

Doctors who harvest organs from corpses probably prefer it if they don't smell of necrophilia.

8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yeah, but since he is a greed elemental puppeting a body... did he really die? Or did they just sent the real him to Heaven?

Cuchulin, Navi-Hank and Chaoswind like this.
  9. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

I still understand nothing about this but I’m kind of starting to think that that might be my fault, so let’s just move on and I’ll mull it over for a while.

10. Phrexia Unbound

Phrexia Unbound Oooh...that's good.

Saul is gonna use Indigoed up Black Light to animate a corpse and have sex with it.

11. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

And as everyone knows, if you're going to get backstabby, you should get more than just a bit backstabby. Because being only a bit backstabby tends to get you a lot frontstabbied.

12. Mr Zoat

No. No reanimation.

Also, I've now written it. It'll get posted at the end of the current episode.
    No, he actually has a reasonable working relationship with Atrocitus, and doesn't want to do what he would have to in order to remove him.

13. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

alas the Paul/Zatana ships really are doomed.

Ah Chronic Hero syndrome.

Oh you mean rinya, my sister makes some of the funniest rinya faces when someone plays with her Grebnacks.

What's a Grebnack?

"If you have to ask then you're too young to know."

well unless he manages to bypass the whole dead in 24 hours issue I didn't have many expectations of seeing that paul.
    and to be fair I kinda forgot.

Bramble Thorn and Navi-Hank like this.
  14. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

With John Constantine out there doing whatever he's doing as a Lord of Chaos, besides ol' Ambrose, I wonder when Willoughby Kipling will show up, and if HE has his own sort of issue/rivalry with John, and has purposely avoided the "Constant One" out of said possible issue/rivalry!

What can I say? Besides his appearance in the Doom Patrol comics, Mark Sheppard's portrayal really made an impression!

15. Threadmarks: Wing and Dagger (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

15th January
    08:59 GMT -7

Daniel Hall and I watch as his parents and his reincarnated grandfather work on their spaceship in their driveway, neighbours and people driving by doing their best not to look too obvious in their rubbernecking.

"How..? Do you feel about all of this?"

He shrugs. "I dunno. Mom and Dad pretty much gave up being superheroes when I was born, but this stuff was always around the house. Guess I thought it was like their 'hippy phase' or whatever."

A section of the ship's exterior armour comes free, Lyta catching it effortlessly as it falls and setting it on the ground. Interestingly, the powers the Erinyes granted her mother and which she inherited aren't actually dependent on her either pursuing the guilty or being generally vengeful. Ironically, the fact that she can lose control if she does behave like that positively incentivises her not to.

Hector clambers out of the rear hatch, looks briefly at me and then to his wife. He's wearing a slightly updated version of his old plate armour Silver Scarab costume. With his mother restored to life and… A mid-life crisis in full swing, he swapped out the solid plates of the original for smaller plates held in place by a tough silver-coloured fabric. At least he's not wearing the weird insect mask at the moment.

"Lyta, could you pass-?"

She hands him the orichalcum sheet they're using to replace the Nth metal alloy which the ship was originally designed to use. As far as we can tell it won't make much difference, at least not to its regular flight. The faster than light drive was wrecked millennia ago, to the point that we're not sure if it was destroyed on impact or by whatever put the ship onto its collision course with North Africa in the first place. The Nth Metal we're extracting from the removed hull pieces is being used to rebuild the systems Hector scavenged for the Nth metal to build his Silver Scarab armour.

"Thanks. Dad?"

Mr Cantrell brings a thanagarian molecular bonder to bear, a muttered prayer-incantation to Ptah just audible over the hum of the device.

"That's weird, though."

"Meeting your paternal grandparents?"

"Grandma and Grandpa being younger than Mom and Dad. I mean, I get it, they're reincarnated… But it's weird."

"Yeah, it's a funny old world. Not interested in joining in?"

He shrugs. "I don't know anything about Thanagarian engineering. I'm a history major." He pauses. "It's been interesting, talking to Grandpa about Ancient Kahndaq. You don't usually get primary sources for stuff like that."

"And..? Your grandmother?"

"Grandma was an alien. She's fine talking about her other lives, but she still says she didn't get-."

"I was an outsider on Kahndaqi society." Ms Parker walks out of the house, a tray of drinks in her hands. "I can tell you what I saw, but I didn't really understand it like Khufu did." Unlike her previous incarnation's son but like her daughter-in-law, she's dressed in normal clothing. "Are you here to drop off more metal?"

"No. Actually, I was wondering if you were interested in taking a trip to Thanagar."

"Oh." She puts her tray down on the garden table. "Any special reason?"

"Thanagar doesn't know anything about magic. You do, and they're looking for someone with that knowledge whom they can trust. And I need to head over that way anyway, and I thought that you might appreciate a chance to visit… I suppose it's not 'home' anymore, but… The old homeworld."

She frowns. "No one on Thanagar uses magic."

"Except the Seven Devils."

She lets out a sudden exhalation which sounds like the beginning of a dismissive laugh. Then she spots my expression. "You're serious."

"Yes."

"I've talked to Shayera and Katar a few times. We're not sure if I'm from a parallel universe, the future or the past."

I frown. "If it's time travel, shouldn't you be able to tell from historical events? The Equality Plague alone was a big deal."

"What do you know about King Henry the Third?"

"Nothing." I raise my left hand. "I can find out really quick..?"

She shakes her head. "If I come from before the Equality Plague, I wouldn't have heard of it. If I come from after the Plague, I'll only have heard about it if it was still considered important in my era. I could tell you all kinds of things about Henry the Third, but I know next to nothing about the history of South America."

"What about their technology?"

"They haven't been too keen on letting me see that."

"Do you..? Are you up to date on modern Thanagarian politics?"

"I know that the planet is governed by a military council. It wasn't in my day, but I'm afraid that Chay-ara wasn't really interested in political history. I don't know when one form of government became another."

Huh. I had been assuming 'future', but now I'm leaning towards 'past'. "I'm sorry, it's just that the Plague, and the resulting confrontation with Hyathis is such a big part of Thanagarian modern history. I'm struggling to think of how it could have happened without you knowing about it."

"How many Crusades were there?"

I nod. "Fair enough. I suppose it could happen."

"Or maybe not at all. I remember one of the scientists who was on the ship with me saying that the drive might open a portal to a parallel universe. At the time I thought it was one of those 'one in a million, theoretically possible but practically impossible' things." She shrugs. "But that could be what happened."

Which would be pretty interesting for me

"So… Are you interested?"

"Of course I am!" She turns back to the ship. "Simon! Paul wants us to visit Thanagar!"

Mr Cantrell turns off the bonder, and a moment later appears in the cockpit. "The FTL system is still busted, and I doubt the Other Hawks will lend us theirs."

"I can build faster than light drives myself, you know. It probably won't perform quite as well as the original, but it'll function. Particularly since you're stripping most of the Nth metal out of the outer hull."

"And…" Daniel looks at me, then at his grandmother. "You know he's a Lantern, right grandpa? Towing spaceships is something they do."

"Oh." Mr Cantrell looks at Ms Parker. "Khufu did always want to see Chay-ara's homeworld."

"And what do you want?"

"I want what you want. Thanagar was your planet. Even if this isn't the right Thanagar."

She nods. "Can we get the ship ready by next weekend?"

"Ah… If Paul doesn't mind helping out..?"

"Happy to."

Hector drops down from the side of the ship. "We're coming too, right? I've wanted to visit Thanagar since I was a boy."

"Oh no." Lyta holds up her right hand. "I've read about modern Thanagar. I'll be staying here."

"Oh. Okay. Daniel?"

"I don't speak Thanagarian, Dad. And I can't fly."

"Okay then." He looks at Mr Cantrell. "Just me then, I guess."

His reincarnated father looks around the cockpit. "Be a bit of a squeeze, but if we're just using this as a taxi service… Sure."

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  16. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's nice to know that Nth metal has competitors in some areas, at least. The stuff is so crazy sometimes that it's a mystery why no one has launched a campaign to steal the recipe from the Thanagar.

17. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

And somewhere in the universe, Space Cabbie knows he's being deprived of a fare. :)

18. Sceptic

Man, don't you just hate these weird, completely out there, ludicrously out-of-character April Fools' Day updates?

19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, alien spaceship parked in a suburban driveway. There's an image for you. :)

Extraneous word.

Yep. Straight from the pharaoh's mouth.

You do, and they're looking for someone with that knowledge whom they can trust.

Heh, family trip, for certain values of family. Now to see what goes wrong...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  20. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I was going to say something along the lines of "Maybe it's still March 31 for him and the April Fools day stuff will happen next." but looking it up in British Summer Time it is currently around 6:35 AM. So next update will almost certainly be on April 2nd.

I guess "There's no April Fools Day theme." counts as a prank.

21. Sceptic

The April Fools' updates are on the in-story April 1st. Which may have been part of the joke.

22. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Their looking should be they're looking.

ChestBurster and Bramble Thorn like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Making the rounds.

25. Mr Zoat

26. Valiran

Valiran Seeker of fluffiness

*raises eyebrow*

Because the world is a military dictatorship, or is it something else?

Just because someone has tried doesn’t mean they succeeded, and even if they did it doesn’t sound like it’s easy to make. Ophidian!Paul had to conjure up a singularity in order to make Kon’s armor.

27. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

In fairness, they brute forced it from lead, with no prior knowledge or experience. From what was mentioned afterwards, it sounds like Thanagarians use heavier elements, so it was a bit like "Well, damnit, we need to put this support beam in the ground but we don't have anything to dig a hole with. Let's just get a gigantic fucking hammer and smash it in."

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Aren't the specs for the drive stored in the computer, for repairs etc.? Couldn't Paul rebuild it from there? And check it's inter-universal capabilities?

ChestBurster and Bramble Thorn like this.
  29. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

It sounds like it was an experimental craft considering the risk of opening holes to parallel universes. From that they probably wouldn't want to keep the specs on it in case someone tried to capture it.

ChestBurster and Chaoswind like this.
  30. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

See, this is why I think OL needs his own spaceship. There are times when it's just more convenient. Long trips where he'd like to nap or study and can't greedport or when bringing passengers.

Oooooo, idea. What if, while not being magical itself, Nth metal requires magic to make, so they have to secretly suppress any magic use on Thanagar so the general population doesn't catch on and spill the beans.

They use bleed generators for power so maybe it was an early version of the tech before all the kinks were worked out?