1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well Zoat's version of Roulette is certainly nicer than the standard version.

Her gladiator games tend to be filled with less employees and more kidnap victims enslaved through mind control forced to fight to the death.

So not generally something that people would pay their cable companies for if only for those pesky sports regulations.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, yes. Malign Hypercognitives are one thing, but Superheroes should be doing something to make the world a better place and Righteous Face-Punching doesn't count...

Heh. Keeps the bodycounts down, of course it's good for business.

And we see that at the center of things, he's still the same man as our OL, driven to frustration by the state of the DC Universe...

</Rainbow Dash>

Huh. So, did Roanoke play out like it did in Canon? No, wait, Paulie here wasn't involved with the Team, of course it did.

Very good question...

Heh, she likes Snu-Snu? And a nice reference to Grrl Power.

Keep it in your pants, Paulie.

A fascinating insight into this alternate's personality and position. Not a world I'd want to stick with, but still fun.
    (And now I can't envisage his donning clothes last chapter without Vehemence's 'Ka-Pants' sound effect :p)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr. Zoat, could you tell us what the Justice League's opinion of Sybarite is? Fate thinks he can't be trusted (of course) and Wonder Woman thinks he's trying to do good, just that he's also a horndog. Also, is his soul completely that of a demon's, or is there some Orange in there as well?
    Does the world really think he's his facade, or are some others, like the Light, who think there is more to him and should be observed?

4. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

1. How many super tough DC Heroes are there that are consistently on the verge of panic? I'd suggest Cornwall Boy, but after that dragon...
    2. The link goes to 264, but it's 266 that names malumi.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So basically he has an incubus in place of his soul.

That certainly explains a lot.

And the funny thing is that he's still more sane then normal Paul.

duncke, anechoic, Sonder and 10 others like this.
  6. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Not really.

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

By what mark? How is Paul insane in any way?

8. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Paul is written by Zoat and isn’t a one-off, thus by Vaermina’s standards he’s an abomination in the eyes of man and god

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr. Zoat, could you explain how the orange ring was able to power itself by consuming demons. I don't remember you ever saying that demons can be a substitute for ring charge. If it is, even if it is only for orange rings, then could Paul absorb demons like The First of the Fallen or Satanus?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Otto von Saurion and Navi-Hank like this.
  10. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

i second this-

he's, at heart, an intellectually dull to mediocre at best (albeit superficially charismatic at times),psychopathic caveman who's never had a reason to sharpen his intellect in his entire life- and to the best of my knowledge, his motives are, and have always been, rather petty..

i think thats what i dislike about him the most, really- he was essentially a nobody who got lucky and won the immortality jackpot, and proceeded to spend the entirety of recorded human history wasting it/using it for stupid or petty reasons....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The description of Sybarite's chest cavity reminds me of Gluttony from Fullmetal Alchemist, just with a orange glowing lump (which contains his ring) in place of an eye. Was he an inspiration for Sybarite's design?

12. Matthew Frost

Matthew Frost Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

what is this nonsense?

13. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

My interpretation of the Sybarite mentioning that he killed Vandal Savage last chapter (permanently, as far as he's aware) was that he hamstrung the Light as well, though I suppose we aren't told when exactly he killed him. It's sad that Roanoake still happened, but I suppose Paul seems to be confining his territory and activities to sub-Saharan Africa, so perhaps he wouldn't really show up on the Light's radar as a major threat. It does make me curious if he'll ever manage to consume Klarion (who I know isn't a demon, but he's still a powerful mystic energy source, as the Praexis Demons have shown) or perhaps even Mammon. While Wonder Woman makes sense as the Justice League representative dealing with him, given her own mystic power and the topic being the purple healing ray, I do think Doctor Fate's personality would mean that he would show up in-person at some point to confront Sybarite, though perhaps he's monitoring him remotely.
    It's also interesting to note that his orange light constructs don't feel demonic, suggesting that, similar to assimilation, the demonic energy of his victims are converted to orange light somehow, though his altered mental state suggests there's still spiritual corruption (or to be more neutral, alteration) that's not entirely due to orange light exposure. He does seem to be able to use the specific abilities of demons he consumes, as the malumi example shows (and getting empowered by violence sounds incredibly useful, especially if he has access to a more sophisticated Meta-Brawl arena), so he could possibly gain the Praexis Demon's ability to consume any source of energy, which would make him even more of a nightmare to fight.

14. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I think is was established in the 40k omake that someone wrote

Edit: to clarify some demons run off greed and avarice so does the ring therefore through either assimilation or direct ring charging the ring can 'steal' the demons power

15. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

...that's Ra's, not Savage.

16. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

What kind of mileage does he get? It's a pretty environmentally friendly fuel source after all. Eat a demon, the world is now a little bit more friendly!

17. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

You want me to tell you what the Justice League of America's opinion of a metahuman who operates primarily in Africa is? Probably 'Sybarwho?' Don't overestimate what the League does.
    Probably? How much work do you think I've done on the background of a character who's probably going to show up in five segments maximum?
    The Light probably wouldn't say 'Sybarwho?', because seeming ignorant when you're a supervillain is a good way to get yourself killed. But they'd be more interested in Roulette than her muscle.
    Sure, but without the build up it doesn't really explain anything.
    Sybarite took Magic Absorption really early on, and has levelled it up quite a bit.
    I.. believe that you may be confusing Vandal Savage and Ra's al Ghul there. I don't think that Savage has shown any concern for the environment ever.
    No. I've never actually watched Full Metal Alchemist all the way through. It was probably more The Thing.
    Wonder Woman isn't there for the Justice League. She's there as Themyscira's ambassador.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  18. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Far more than is reasonably justified, obviously. We've seen your work, after all.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Way back when Paul first showed up, he looked up in the internet and it said that it's name was just Justice League, no America in it.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  20. Mr Zoat

I've also noted that a sizeable portion of the world call them that anyway, due to having near-exclusively American membership. Series three expanded the League a great deal, but the non-US resident members were Fire, Ice and Katana.

21. DrThoth

This can explain a lot, the world's a big place and the Justice League is largely Western. i imagine Batman would still have a file on him. Doctor Fate is relatively disconnected from the League's operations, though (I remember he would vanish without explanation on occasion presumably for Lord of Order business), and Sybarite would likely be on his list, but the lack of immediate malevolent danger probably means he's less of a priority in a world that hasn't had an active Lord of Order for decades. Doctor Mist however is in the region, and Ethiopia neighbors Kenya; the man might be a non-interventionist but he still seems to be keeping up with current supernatural events to some extent. I also wonder if the Sybarite has any plans regarding Gorilla City, since he's closer to it than any Justice League presence. I'm not sure if they're all telepathic in this continuity, but they seem like a potential source of manual labor at the very least, and I think this Paul would still be sufficiently ethical in that regard.
    Actually, where was Brain's research base located? I'm not sure which Light member's operations are closer, him or Queen Bee (though Sybarite would probably just trade with her, since he might not know about her dealings with Apokalips).

This quite clearly implies he's aware of Batman's secret identity, which seems like a big cause for concern that Diana that doesn't really express. Unless the Light publicly released personal information on the League from their New Year Watchtower incident, which would still probably merit a mention.

22. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Aquaman and Wonder Woman left?

Prince Charon likes this.
  23. DrThoth

They didn't leave in canon, though you may count the first Aquaman passing the title down to Kaldur. Either Mr Zoat's statement had an oversight, or they both still count as US residents, since Diana doesn't seem to live full-time on Themyscira and Orin/Arthur might spend part of his time in Maine, though the latter doesn't really seem to be the case in WtR.

Prince Charon and WhiteNoise like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

At this point, the only one who isn't Western is Nabu. And his experience of modern society comes from his decades of working through an American.
    Dr Balewa is around. He's not anchored in one place, and isn't paying Sybarite a special amount of attention.
    Doesn't even know it exists. Because it doesn't. Gorilla City 16 gets destroyed by Shadows during the team mission where it appears.
    Diana is more surprised that his identity has remained secret for as long as it has, though she will certainly notify him of the potential problem.
    Arthur Curry is a US citizen, spent the first eighteen years of his life in the country and still speaks Atlantean Greek with a pronounced accent. Kaldur'ahm lived in the US for years, though it's quite possible that he isn't living there while series three is happening. Wonder Woman has spent... Twenty years in the US at that point? She certainly lives there, and fought for the US during World War 2.

25. DrThoth

I didn't read the spin-off comics so I wasn't aware of this. Gorilla Grodd does show up in the Renegade timeline as part of the attack on Brain's base, which is why i assumed the city was still around, unless it was only Orange Lantern's presence that prevented the city being destroyed in the Paragon and Renegade timelines.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  26. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

DOH! *headesks, makes self-critical, incoherent Aussie sounds* ill... edit/redo/delete that to see if it’s salvageable after I sleep and my brain turns back on >.<

in my defence, there’s a lotta idiots in the light- they and their (lack of coherent/sensical) motivations in canon started to blur together a bit back >.<

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Prince Charon and Navi-Hank like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Pretty much.

The few gorillas they processed are telepathic, but have no material resources beyond what they can salvage from the remains of the base where they were augmented. And since the modifications are chirurgical, future generations will be born as normal gorillas.

28. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Wonder Woman left Themyscira to live in the outside world for the second time in 2001 according to word of greg.

29. Mr Zoat

Series three happens in 2018, so seventeen years plus however long she lived there during World War 2. More like thirty years in total, then.

30. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Returned to being a crime fighter. Is that the same as leaving Themyscira to live in the outside world for her?

Prince Charon likes this.