1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Maybe use it as a teachable moment: "You're living in a World of Cardboard, so you need to learn control."

Ah, my mistake, then. Same as that Power thing from last chapter.

Especially when they check and learn OL is a diplomat and Bleez is a celebrity. Maybe they'll ask for the thanagarian equivilant of an autograph. :p

2. McGraw

McGraw Getting some practice in, huh?

Don't they already know from the Hawks' reports?

Prince Charon and Bramble Thorn like this.
  3. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Needs a full stop.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, no, they do discriminate. But even Hitler put Helene Mayer on the Olympic team. Sometimes aliens are useful. Generally not, but sometimes.
    Thank you, corrected.
    They don't know precisely how they work. They could learn if they had the opportunity to examine them closely. And he's not sure what level of detail has been reported or how much as been read/believed.

infinityDivided, c3qo, Drode and 7 others like this.
  5. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

U.S. English, Canadian English, and the English from the place that cannot make up its mind whether it is England or the United Kingdom or Great Britain?

Does that mean those weird Aussies with their strange accents finally got kicked out of the Anglosphere?

I'd have thought it would have happened to the Scotts or the Irish first.

But Krypton recalled all colonists and ships to the homeworld, and intentionally turned their back from space. How can she be going to space college then? I mean if they actually had a space college to sent Kara to, then they might not have become statically extinct when the planet exploded.

His sigil was on the binding rings of the matrix machines, but the king angel responsible for the kidnapping and attempted coup didn't even rememner him. Implying he had access to enough stolen theurgical power to command Asmodel (who probably recruited Boss Smiley and commanged the inclusion of his sigil) to forget be existed. This turing one of the most powerful angels in Heaven from a aspiring dictator into an unknowing slave.

That is presumably a lot of power. And since Asmodel's betrayal was being prepared long before Paul showed up in either timeline (One of the dead theurgists was a Pope who died decades ago), it and Smiley should be present in both. And since the plot was never uncovered in Gravyen's timeline and Boss Smiley's source of holy power freed from their Lotus Eater prisons, It is likely the Boss Smiley in Grayvens timeline still has access to immense Theurgic power. And since nobody knows about him in that timeline, nobody has made preparations against him.

That challenger was not in Destiny's book. She was made of native matter and energy, but that didn't matter. The question is how/when/if Destiny's updates. I'd think it is normally insensitive to time. If you are not in his book, you are not there past, present, or future. Nothing you do really matters to getting you in the book (or the challengers would have been written back in the book as they interacted with other people who were.)

Like unless whoever writes the book updated it, if you are not in the book you won't be no matter what happens, the author never made an entry about you.

I think Mr Zoat is being intentionally obtuse about how it works. Like when someone talked about Grayven (meaning the renegade SI) being in the book, he did not confirm the truth either way, instead only saying that Grayven (the son of Darkseid Renegade Paul is Mantling pretending to be) certainly is, when that was not the matter under debate at all.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  6. Mr Zoat

In the sense that it wasn't on Earth. It was a DBZ Abridged thing, like Space Australia and Space ducks.

Belenus, Cuchulin, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So what are these Man-Hawks? My bet is on secret surveillance robots.

Also, did I miss the explanation why Kara and Hector where there?

8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Fun fact : Space ducks are a Thing in DC. Sometimes, I assume, they’re eaten by space whales. This is why Lobo tends to avoid poaching them. After all, they’re ducks out in space, zooming around protecting the human race.

Absolutely everything in this comment makes complete and utter sense. It is not just an experiment to see how much nonsense I can put into one comment at 3 AM and see if it makes sense. *sarcasm evident* Also, Mel Brooks’ Jews in Space song has been stuck in my head for years now, slowly driving me crazy (and I know that sentence at the end isn’t from it exactly, and hope even with the semi - reference it’s not offensive (don’t see why it would be)).

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

They going to arrest them on trumped up charges? This looks like a chance for the Thanagarian Empire to get its teeth kicked in by the OLC. If that does happen, I wonder what Hawkman will do, because I'm pretty sure Hawkwoman will just try to at least maim Paul for doing that.

10. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I don’t think the OLC has any reason to alienate the Thanagarian empire this early. Neither does the Thanagarian Empire the OLC. Especially when Paul is unlikely to be actually arrested / detained.

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Fair enough. I wonder how Kara and Hector got into that situation in the first place though. They were supposed to have a guide, who doesn't appear to be around anymore. Is this all a coincidence or a setup? Hopefully it's just a coincidence but I'm not holding my breath. I would also like to get an In-universe explanation for those Manhawks, or at least an explanation from Mr Zoat. Are they some other kind of thanagarian or subspecies? Genetic experiment gone wrong? Whatever the case may be, Paul is gonna have his hands full both trying to avoid antagonizing the Thanagarian Empire, while protecting his less combat capable companions (inexperienced Kara and out of shape Hector).

12. Sonder

Sonder Apostle of FLUFFY TAIL

I'm starting to suspect that Zoat has a list of stock cliffhangers he rolls on whenever he feels like Paul has done too well for himself.

Just to make his life harder.

Vorian and Rebu like this.
  13. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

The last sentence was structured wierd. I think it would work better if he was exasperated, rather than suprised. Like; "Then the thanagarian patrol drops down, weapons trained on each of us, of course." Or something like that.

Chaoswind likes this.
  14. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

English is the story of some sort of Celtic language happily skipping along the street until it got pulled into a dark alley and violated by Latin, German, French, and Old Norse. After it staggered out of the alley and got cleaned up it built the most powerful navy in the world and went around mugging other languages from all over the world for spare vocabulary.

Calling it three languages in a trenchcoat is practically generous. Really it's more like five languages and a wallet full of grammar with suspicious reddish brown stains on it.

WargWolf, Gantradies, Vorian and 8 others like this.
  15. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

I feel like this is one of those situations where Zoat will avert the problem because of the two SI's different abilities. Grayven is a New God, so I imagine that he could pull some esoteric bullshit related to his domain to not get screwed over by Angel's Source-Abilities. Either that, or Boss Smiley just never shows up because the very slow pace that Grayven is doing is slow enough that Smiley feels that he has time to figure out a way to cause Grayven to die/go insane/whatever and all his progress to be destroyed before ti gets too bad.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  16. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

What, the flayed facemask intimidated your orange filament into submission?

You are being really unclear here.

...Unless this is just you trolling Vaermina with increasingly ludacris counters to orange light as time goes on.

17. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

It was interrupted by description of the events occurring.

And-. I can't look inside them. I suppose-

Hector raises his forearms and fires a blast from his forearm-mounted electrolasers at the second Man-Hawk. It staggers sideways a pace before reorientating on him and screeching again, which… Actually, yes, the flayed face does make it more intimidating.

-that might explain what happened to my filament.

He can't look inside them, probably N metal, which might stop filaments

18. Mr Zoat

No, the little '-' symbol indicates that it's a continuation of the previous thought.

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Manhawks are giant birds who are people who fly through outer space under their own power generally to steal things, unlike Thanagarians who are bird people, who wear masks to mimic the native lifeforms.

[​IMG]

In one version, they're the ones who brought crime to the utopia that was Thanagar, and were the reason the wingmen police were formed.

In Brightest Day, they're supposedly what humans mated with on Hawkworld to open the portal to Thanagar, which implies that Thanagarians are manhawk-human hybrids, oh and that manhawks aren't aliens but the descendents of hawks from Earth, like the Lizarkons are descendents of lizards from Earth, and the lionmanes are descendents of lions.

WargWolf and RagnarokAscendant like this.
  20. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I'm not?

Pats Self Down

I'm Not! Oh Thank Eris!

As for it not being Young Justice, well that clip is one of the better examples of A Superman doing the "red wave of burning death". While different Universes don't exactly scale to each other, Such as when Gravyen noticed Justice Lords Kara having the 'stealth' heat vision of Superman's animated series, it's a comparison point. YJ is a bit thin on showing the exact limits on Clark's powers because he's not a center piece to the story telling, and Conner's powers don't exactly scale to his due to cloning human DNA in the mix, and not being entirely familiar with them when he does get to use them with the Shields.

Of course the alternative is a Superman that, using Super Speed Eye Movement makes like the worlds fastest Laser cutter, works his way back and forth in a few nanoseconds for a similar effect.

Hell's Razer, Vorian and LostPath like this.
  21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

That wouldn’t heat a thing sufficiently to burn through it. He could burn patterns, but it takes some time to burn all the way through something. He’s not dealing with paper here. That laser would give 3rd degree burns, but it probably wouldn’t cut far into human skin.

22. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Them? Not the fact they worshiped a Cthulhu stand-in?

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Here.

Than.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  24. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

That laser wouldn't burn all the way through someone, but scale it up to something thousands or millions of times more powerful a-la Kryptonian heat vision and you probably could ablate all the way through a human (or human-ish monster).

Granted, it'd really be closer to "explode" than "ablate" at that point. That's kinda what extremely high power lasers do; if you completely vaporize (technically "subliminate") a person in a fraction of a second, you now have a blob of gas which is extremely hot and has roughly the size and mass of a person.

That is a more polite term for "a massive explosion".

infinityDivided likes this.
  25. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So... I am the only one who doesn't really care about the Bird Men because they were bad guys in Justice League or what?

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  27. ElvishPresley

ElvishPresley Getting some practice in, huh?

Eminemtly, Zoat is trying to annoy his most notorious (BIG nonetheless) fan, who dang can find something to fuck with the in-story logic.

But that's just my 50 cents on these martial matters.

28. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'm kind of going with the theory that the Manhawks are worshippers of Thasaro and that they skin people and wear their faces as mystic talismans that ward them.

The point of masks is to hide one's identities after all.

The cthulhu stand in was in the cartoon, that no one who writes the comics apparently gave a shit about, since comic book Nth Metal isn't transuranic iron, comic Thanagarians don't have wings, and were never mythos worshippers.

Although amusingly enough, I understand one of the Seven Devils of Thanagar is named Shoggoth. :)

29. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Well Said. As OL described, Mr Kent's got some capital ship grade lasers behind those trendy glasses. I've only personally played with ones in a few watts range, lower end commercial ones are closer to 40 to 50 watts doing paper and wood. Steel cutting lasers are up in the 500 Watt range.

Flipping over to one of the more useful collections of esoteric information in the internets, Project Rho Useful Tables we can grab a rough idea of how much energy it takes to vaporize a human being, at 3.0 × 1009 Joules (if you just want dust). Watts = Joules Per Second.

A 100% efficient steel cutting commercial laser at 500 watts COULD eventually vaporize a human being, given they didn't move for a while ( about 1.9 Years, by my back of the napkin math.) Much Longer due to laser ablation, refraction, inefficient energy use and a host of other problems.

So, that's the yard stick.

One of the better examples Zoat gave us describing Mr Kent's Powers in use was back when he was doing some dynamic engineering regarding a flooded river system. We didn't get hard numbers, but he was flying in, melting bedrock with heat vision, hand digging trenches and flying back, all within a few moments as he removed and then caught his JL communicator.

Now either Supes had his eyeballs set to wide beam, or he was melting that tunnel of rock from a single focus point and allowing thermal bloom and heat transfer/ convection to melt the surrounding rock. At the energy levels required to do that in the space of time required....it really doesn't matter anymore, as you've stopped being a Newtonian physics problem and started being a Particle physics problem.

Closest comparison I could make would be Project Plowshare, the US's studies into using nukes for 'peaceful' stuff, like making really big holes in the ground, oil and gas recovery, and generally making the world more radioactive in the process. So...we're in the Kiloton Nuclear bomb territories here. For Superman, we're in Gigawatt range of lasers on the low end.

Easily enough to vaporize a person, and the rest of the crowd, in the blink of an eye.

30. anechoic

anechoic they/them/theirs

Reasonable enough but I feel compelled to point out that, given that human bodies are ~60% water, it would probably be well less than 1.9 years since whoever was being vaporized by said industrial laser would, presumably, die shortly into the process and stop taking in water to replace their evaporative losses.