1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that was intentional.

2. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hopefully Rocket does get inspired by Paragon’s drive and advice, trying to solve these social issues via non-superhero methods. I can appreciate her sentiments, though I agree she can be grating; what makes it tolerable for me is the fact that she does think about these things while more typical mainstream characters don’t or can’t. It also helps that basically every other hero is similarly passive or non-proactive about these issues and the socio-economic factors causing crime in the first place- just something to accept from the genre or medium, since heroes fighting crime is one of the most fundamental tropes, but that’s exactly why the SI’s actions are so interesting. It disappoints me that most other characters don’t emulate him, though I can understand their reasons in most cases.

3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not unless Zoat gave him a power up.

In his only comic appearance, the fire was just a battle aura, like he was an extra from Dragonball Z or Bleach, not a practical superpower.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's a pretty bold assumption on Paul's part given he doesn't know everything there is to know about magic.

You were outsmarted.

5. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Grayven mentions that the Justice League members individually do things like that.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  6. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's a pretty bold assumption on Vaermina's part given that he knows less than Paul about magic.

7. Mr Zoat

Ah, darn it. Just found out that the Snowflame webcomic has vanished from the internet.

infinityDivided, Drode, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  8. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Fear not, for we have a basic summary from Tvtropes and a powerful time machine!

9. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Honestly I like Rocket. Even if she's not going about it the best way she's still concerned about more than just righteous face punching, which is more than can be said about a lot of superheroes. She's also a teenager and thus allowed to be dumb. I don't think the track OL is taking with her is the best option though. She seems the type that needs to come to conclusions herself instead of being told.

10. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Glad Paul pointed that out, and that she listened.

Some of them lack the education due to not being old enough to finish high school, nor smart/motivated/focused enough to skip grades. I suspect that Icon's attitude toward the pimps who take advantage of them is somewhat different from how he reacts to normal pimps, and Rocket likewise.

Mind you, as someone else pointed out, a few of them are doing it because they enjoy it and can make a lot of money from it, rather than because they lack the education to do otherwise (though I'd expect a lot of those to be in Nevada). I look forward to Rocket finding that out.

Well, at least he's giving her the opportunity to try, as well as helping to encourage her education (she might even learn some things just to spite him, which can be pretty effective motivation in humans).

11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

The attack was clearly meant to destroy the book, but then why go so overboard with it?

fappingtoyourpost likes this.
  12. Queshire

Personally, on the topic of prostitution, while I can't say that I'm for it what we currently have isn't ideal, and I'm not sure if there's a way to improve things without proper regulation and de-stigmitization. That would require, on a level, legalization.

13. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Agreed, but we probably shouldn't go into any further detail on this forum.

Belenus likes this.
  14. Queshire

Wait, is that why no one was saying anything? They were actually behaving? Here!? O . o

Alexandercctv, Gilhelmi, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  15. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

And the episode doesn't end! It's a whole new world.
    One can only hope. Even if Linkara is my only source on that character.

16. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

To be entirely fair, the Queen has maintained a supprisingly active background position as an advisor, I think that’s the closest word I can Grok when this short in sleep, to the prime minister, though I’ll agree the rest of the royals are usually fairly quiet when the tabloids aren’t frothing at the mouth...

w.wait.. could it be? Please tell us it IS snowflame- someone poke Linkara!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Prince Charon likes this.
  17. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

How much do we know about how durable that magical tome was?

18. Mr Zoat

A while ago I was googling something about historical prostitution and found a marvellous example of an American priest who asked a group of prostitutes if they'd consider alternate occupations. Once they heard what the pay was they laughed at the idea. When I wrote this I tried to find it again and had no luck.
    No, prostitution has existed for more than twenty years. You just can't reference recent examples of actual law.

Yes. An episode called 'Angelic' set in cities featured in Supergirl comics and featuring a character with fire powers... Is going to include Snowflame.

You're all far too clever for me.

c3qo, Drode, True Ninja and 19 others like this.
  19. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

When talking prostitution, I always am reminded of the fact that the vast majority were abused as children.

https://sex-crimes.laws.com/prostitution/prostitution-statistics

I don't really like prostitution because of that. There's a lot of proof that most people involoved have issues, and it might give them money, but it doesn't help their mental state.

We do what we can, I guess.

DrThoth likes this.
  20. Queshire

The stigma around it certainly doesn't do them any favors in getting them the help they need though.

21. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

True.

I'm not sure sex work has any upside for them, though. What little I've seen suggests it renforces the idea that it was right what happened to them.

There is a very high number of abuse victims who end up as abusers themselves, aparently because they end up rationalising what happened to them as acceptable or right, and as such they should take out their confusion and pain on kids. On a simliar note, many end up with twisted sexuality, and wake up after therapy or time, to realise that they aren't gay, or a sadist, or even straight.

It's pretty horrible, and many victims end up in positions like prostitution, even though they feel degraded in them, while some other people act as if they(former victims) caused the problem. And then, they have kids, and usualy, those kids live in Hell, with a usualy single, and broken, parent.

Some get better, but many don't.

I just wish most people campaining about such things knew what they were talking about.

After all, the highest rating job for pedos? Despite the media going on, and on, and ON, it's got nothing to do with the Church. It's teachers.

And who even knows that? Infuriating.

Anyway, not much to do with this fic, I guess.

Gantradies, Ardy and Belenus like this.
  22. fappingtoyourpost

fappingtoyourpost Know what you're doing yet?

You shouldn't trust that PDF. It takes stats from a study that specifically focuses on child prostitution and apples them as general to all prostitution. It also cites Hughes, who is a bit of a crusader, and not a great source of objective stats.

23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Is this a Britishism? In my experience this should be "customers" but I acknowledge it could be regional.

It's an XY problem.

There's a bit of a causation vs correlation issue here. A number of facts greatly complicate the analysis. The page you linked teases at this issue by citing a number of countries in the world that have legalized and/or regulated prostitution. But then every other statistic on the page is specifically about the United States.

Because prostitution is illegal, the following things are true:
    * It commands higher prices.
    * It pushes away workers who feel they might have other more meaningful alternatives.
    * It attracts clients that have less regard for the law.
    * It discourages victims from seeking help.
    * It encourages carrying out operations in places where a crime wouldn't have witnesses.
    * It encourages people to see workers as criminals and undesirables, making them more likely to become targets.

Compare the statistics around prostitution to statistics for other kinds of criminals compared to the general average. The correlations are pretty significant. I won't fall into the causation vs correlation fallacy by saying that this directly implies anything, but it's a suggestive comparison, and one that ought to encourage further research.

24. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Someone didn't want a lawyer to look over the magical contract?
    Hard to find the loophole or escape clause without access to the actual terms agreed to.

Or even worse, imagine if the "drags you bodily to Hell after five years" isn't actually agreed to anywhere at all in the compact. Evidence the Succubus Queen is routinely in breach of contract whenever she does that sounds like something that be used by a competent magician to fuck her over.

Not comfortable calling a low level charm mind control.
    Humans attitudes being influenced by external factors is the norm more than the exception.
    Way more attention is routinely given to who is doing the talking than what they are saying.
    Are they pretty, do they smell nice, do they act self assured even if they are sprouting utter bullshit.
    This sounds like one more of those things, that influences but does not actually control.
    Like the magical equivalent of subtle perfume, big tits, a come hither look, and a sexy giggle.

Actually, I think we've seen more overt control exerted by OL in the story.
    Didn't he used to use instinctive desire control to help entice others to accepting deals he was proposing?
    If OL wasn't brought up on charges of Mind Control™ for that then this just smacks of hypocritical bullshit.

No. Custom is an actual word.
    It means to give someone your business.
    As in if a custom is something you habitually do, then if what you habitually do covers going to the same place...
    You get custom as another way to say "the money you get from me because I chose you as a service provider over a competitor."

Gantradies, Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I'm aware that it's an actual word. I'm also aware that your suggested meaning is a false derivation. It's more related to the word "customs" (as in import/export controls) than to the word "custom" meaning tradition or habit. The original definition of "customer" was a tax collector; yes, it's true that they were called that because it became a familiar routine to have the tax collector demand your money, but the two uses split long before "customer" started being used in a business context.

I looked it up. Is IS a Britishism. It seems to be a back-formation from "customer."

Prince Charon likes this.
  26. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

Either that or someone loaded the book with explosive runes to keep it out of the hands of those not wanted by the creator to read it

Ardy likes this.
  27. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Hmm. Seems a bit odd that Paul would mention Holly and catwoman's histories to someone they don't know.
    Kinda rude.

c3qo, BBJimmy, Alexandercctv and 5 others like this.
  28. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

More like the magical equivalent of slipping them an aphrodisiac on the sly. The stuff you describe alters the input, magical mental influence and drugs alter processing and/or output directly, which denies agency in choice where altering input alone doesn’t. Illusionary makeup and outfits? Fine. Divination to learn their kinks? Sure. Mind control where the influence is subtle? Still mind control, and right out.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, off-topic, but you have added characters that were originally from Vertigo and Milestone and were later added to DC. Will we also see Wildstorm characters in your work in the future? I can see Paul helping Gen13 and Grayven helping DV8.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

We've already seen Wildstorm characters in this story, just not people from the main Wildstorm universe.

All those british supers are from the Wildstorm production Albion, and the Boys are a Wildstorm book.

Cuchulin likes this.