1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

"A group of supervillains who are evil doppelgangers of heroes have doomsday weapons" is a 'Comic Book Problem', so sure, I'm proposing a 'Comic Book Solution'.

That's not an OCP for the Justice League. That's Tuesday. This isn't some "How do we deal with the introduction of new technology that radically reshapes the world's economy?" type of problem that's completely outside their wheelhouse. This is the kind of problem that righteous face-punching has been dealing with for decades.

Wow. You're getting an awful lot out of their plans and intentions by them simply walking in.

What you are essentially saying is that the Justice League is fundamentally incapable of dealing with a group of supervillains armed with doomsday weapons, so just their basic presence demands that they be taken down, and taken down hard, so that they don't interfere with the plans of someone who really knows how to solve the problem.

Now, I think that's nonsensical. However, if Paul is saying that, I think he's necessarily saying that this is his world now, and anyone who steps into it better toe his line, and if he's saying that, he owns this solution. It's no longer "Eh, l'm doing the best I can with the limited amount of fucks I give about these people", it means that it's now his responsibility to actually fix things, since he's appointed himself the person in charge of deciding how things get fixed.

To me, the mindset Paul has here would say that, back in Paul's world, the Justice League should have given in to the Injustice League, the Light, and any other organization powerful enough to cause collateral damage in the course of dealing with them. It's the mindset that says that, if the Justice League knew that Paul was going to sneak into Eden or kill Nabu, that they'd be justified in taking him down to make sure he doesn't overestimate his abilities and fuck things up.

Talon's right that Paul wouldn't put up with that on his world.

gustyeagle likes this.
  2. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Yes and that is exactly the kind of person Paul is, his cost value assessment is slanted to give the Syndicate more leeway because he has interacted with them the most, the justice underground had the perfect opportunity to get him on their side and they wasted it. Paul morals cannot get in the way of how he will always favor HIS people HIS in group.

In this world Paul doesn't give a fuck about anyone beyond the detached cost assessment of his utilitarianism, but he has interacted with the Syndicate the most thus they get a bonus multiplier to their value in his cost analysis.

Also remember that after the ludicrous number of sophons Paul has killed, he told Alan he would try to kill less people, I don't doubt Paul a few months ago would have killed a lot of people to settle the issues plaguing Earth - 14, but Paul bowed to be better now.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Prince Charon, DAT_NOOB, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  3. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

I'm kind of expecting a copy of a bunch of justice league databases from earth-16 as a farewell present to the earth-12 version.

4. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

ITT: People who don't understand the concept of character development

You might have had a point if he'd done this within 3 months of having the ring. At this point you're just not thinking it through and whining because you didn't think it through.

Gilhelmi, c3qo, Hell's Razer and 6 others like this.
  5. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

After some recent posts, going to ask for a bit more civility here, people.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Sure that might have worked if Superman didn't dodge it, but Zoat didn't do that.

Instead Paul used something that shouldn't have worked within the rules of the Universe but did because Zoat decided to write that it did.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

And he can do that.

8. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

But don't you understand. It makes Vaermina unhappy.

Which might be less meaningless if Vaermina wasn't ALWAYS unhappy about something.

Like, remember that time when Zoat completely BROKE with DC canon and made it so Orange Power rings DON'T automatically drive the wearer insane with greed? Ruined the whole story right there.

And now here he is, SHARING, by god, SHARING, the orange light with others. Canonically IMPOSSIBLE.

9. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Ultraman: Did you forget who I am? How I get to be the boss of bosses? I'm here because I'm the baddest of the bad. Anybody whoever stood in my way is dead. Everybody.
    Lex Luthor: I brought you a present.
    Ultraman: Blue kryptonite.
    Lex Luthor: The only thing that can hurt you.
    Ultraman: But I...
    Lex Luthor: Destroyed the last piece on Earth? True. But I've been visiting other Earths.

What are the rules of the universe, Vaermina? Tell me, what are they? What's your source? How do you know what is a law of reality for this work of derivative fanfiction written by someone who isn't a member of DC's comic book writing staff, and what is not?

10. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Grayven shenanigans started when he infiltrated the light and Batman was like "umm, why are you speaking with criminals?" and Grayven said "I'm investigating Don't worry" and batman said "Oh ok I understand" and left him to it.
    it kinda spiralled out of control from their

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Maxx Crowley

Yes, but I was talking about the whole "Yeah, I looked like a 19 year old English boy, but I was actually a giant, gray new-god son of the biggest villain in this comic universe." Thing.

Ardy, infinityDivided and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Wait, not to argue on your other points because I do believe they have some degree of reason, but the Illustres is putting up with that in Earth 16: that's the Light.

In fact, even Grayven put up with them, during long months if I recall. He infiltrated them, sure, became one of them, he may have had the thought of trying to guide them through a better path but I, personally, always believed that he was going to take them down (what with his interactions with Vandal Savage and how he reacted to Mordru). In fact, he did so good a job of passing as a member that even his girlfriend believed it. But at the end, it took some serious time and the coordination of a lot of governments to take that organization down without massive casualties.

In the Illustres' case he's still putting up with them. He has only attacked or taken down members that he planned to take down, and after some serious research time of how to take them down and not fuck up the aftermath (Satanus for example), or that were indirectly/circumstantial (like Orm and/or Ra's).

13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

It shouldn't be.

Depending on the kryptonian, red sun takes away their powers, or it doesn't refuel their powers so they might run out of mojo a couple of weeks later, or it does absolutely nothing because their powers aren't actually powered powered by a yellow sun to begin with, or it may be somewhat more effective because some of the kryptonian's powers come from being a heavy gravity worlder regardless of the sun in the sky.

On Earth-2 it was specifically stated that Superman's powers come from Krypton having heavier gravity than Earth, while later he developed the full range of Kryptonian powers that are solar powered, zap Power Girl with red sun radiation, and the "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" are just from her muscles being that much better than a human's, ala John Carter of Mars.

Not that the authors remembered that when Superboy Prime fought Kal-L. Sigh.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Maxx Crowley

I often wonder if comic companies have a continuity department, as they sadly need one. Or if they have one, but just don't care.

From my small Marvel experience, I can tell you that nothing tends to send certain writers into a frothing rage faster then being told "You can't do that because historical reason X."

Ardy, infinityDivided, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  15. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Ugh, tell me about it. My wife has been intensely nauseated for over a month now, with no obvious cause and no obvious cure. We know it's at least related to IBS, and we've been doing our best to manage the symptoms, but there seems to be a 50/50 chance that she'll puke on any given day.

Some franchises do. It would appear that none of those are employed with DC.

Gantradies, Baladar and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

If ya'll are interested then the series writers bible for Batman: The Animated Series has been floating around for a few years now. (Link to an article) Young Justice and the Justice League cartoon almost inevitably have / had bibles of their own, and I wouldn't be surprised if comics do as well. A series bible sets the core guidelines of a series. They make sure people are hitting the right tone. Noticeably, they are not a massive list of all canon or whether or not kryptonite works on a kryptonian from a different dimension.

17. Maxx Crowley

Surprising, considering continuity being fucked all to hell is what has caused them to reboot the entire universe...more then once.

Edit: I've mentioned before, but I remember reading once that after a survey was done, DC found out that most of the famous storylines of theirs that people could mention....were all non-canon Elseworlds.

I DO know, from hearing it myself, that at least one Marvel writer around...2006, blew the fuck up at someone who had apparently reminded them, several times I've gathered, that whatever they were wanting to write was extremely against continuity and that, and I quote, "Fan's WILL notice, and they WILL call us on out it."

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    infinityDivided, Vorian and Buggy123 like this.
  18. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I just had a Slowpoke Moment.

Batman didn't come along because, if Stewart's hair is any indication, they've already been duped into going through an interdimensional portal into a trap by the Justice Lords.

Ardy likes this.
  19. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Just noticed this part. 'Flash' should be capitalized there, as a proper name.

20. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I think many, many people are missing the giant spotlight in the sky.....

NEVER LET THE DAM THIEF OUT OF SIGHT!

OL is about to get a dose of humility when Batman (seeing how he did not kill the League, and probably not a threat) sneaks behind Paul and goes "Booo".

Or just punches OL. After all, Orange Rings run on desire and Paul has little desire to fight Earth-12 League. He would have been at a disadvantage if he had not accidentally ambushed the group.

Ardy, infinityDivided, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  21. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Heh. Have the the report say something like "The Earth 12 Justice League came through the portal, [Specifics REDACTED in anticipation of the next time the JL gets mind controlled or pulls a Nabu], and then they were all neutralized. At that time I had Flash read my report about the aftermath of the half-assed job they did the last time they visited."

22. Maxx Crowley

I love this. OL manages to incapacitate the Justice League, and out come the accusations of being a Sue.

But fucking BATMAN is just expected to somehow stealth his way past a power ring and take OL with his power of being Batman.

I fucking hate Batman.

He also has a strong desire not to get sucker punched. The few times it's happened, his auto shield has absorbed it.

23. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wonder what the controllers would think of the speed formula (not the garrick formula, the weird higher dimensional mathematics one).
    I'm a bit worried about Alan's mental health, with the whole having to wear the ring to stay healthy thing along with minimal mental precautions about it, especially without a blue central power battery (maybe they should make one?)
    (Also, Paul has a bunch of passive defenses that don't rely on his ring that would be a serious impediment to batman.)

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Badass6969

Badass6969 Well worn.

That said, somehow it kinda sounds like Zoat read Ayn Rand’s weird thing about how you can logic away selfless acts as actually being “selfish”

25. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Honestly, It is kinda weird. Personally, I've never read anything from Any Rand, and from what I've heard of it, I certainly wouldn't want to (no 20-page rants and old rich guys going to a island to let society collapse for some inane reason, no thank you).

Yet apparently, both me and Zoat reached similar conclusions. I mean, if i had to explain... generally people try to do what they think is best; even if they're between a rock and a hard place and "best" is actually something bad that they don't like, they're still doing it because they think it's the least-bad option.

So, yeah, technically you can say that feeding orphans and adopting one-eyed kittens is "selfish", because you're doing what you want/think is best. The decision of what you do ultimately comes down to you and what you think, even if one of those things you're thinking is "i want to do what other people need or want".

But that doesn't mean it's "selfish" as in "beneficial for you and bad for others". It just means that you are abiding by your own moral code. If anything, calling it selfish just means that you're using a kinda narrow/silly definition of "selfish".

26. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I once listened to a guy telling me what his Church believed.

He said that they needed to baptize babies because they "selfishly" cry for food and care. As a Christian, I was appalled by the logic. I wish I had thought to say this at the time but, babies cry because it is their only means of communication until they are more fully developed. They can not feed themselves so they cry to let their carer know they need help. Their crying is not a sin on their part, it is just normal communication that needs to be explored.

I guess it is why I like this story so much, it takes a trait that is normally seen as a "bad" and shows the positive that it can bring. I am here for the story, not the strict interpretation of the holy scriptures. I have long ago lost faith in the DC writing team, and a writing revolution needs to be started.

27. Badass6969

Badass6969 Well worn.

Well TBF from what I knew in that situation, society was already breaking down by all the “helpful” laws which had domino-effects that were somehow supported by other rich people who somehow found that being “selfless” or pretending to be “selfless” would somehow give them power via good PR and connections rather than delivering good product and running businesses cost-efficiently and those “selfish” rich businessmen and other scientists and inventors whether they actually cared or not were gonna try and rebuild society

I think in that book, society and even the protagonists argued that caring first about your friends and family rather than society as a whole was “selfish”, oh wait that was Anthem where they actually banned having friends and lovers and ironically whilst “selfish” the protagonist in the end was intending to still eventually help others

But yeah, “selfish” can be what YOU think is good for others whilst not caring too much about their input whether valid or not.

And as I said before, caring more about specific people than “The Greater Good” could sorta count as “selfish”. It’d be like going off to save a hostage right before you whilst knowing that doing so will cause a war like with Harry Dresden who ended up making The Red Court go to war with The White Council by breaking Guest Right

Also would count as “selfish” as shown in many anime/manga/LN/etc if you’re an extremely heroic person who dies or nearly gets yourself killed but doesn’t consider to think too much that their friends and family want them SAFE & ALIVE

ashadowalker, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  28. reddraggone9

reddraggone9 Getting some practice in, huh?

I believe that this is still in the US (especially given the earlier mention of Interstate 81), in which case the driver should be on the left and "the passenger seat beside him" should be to the right.
    You made them afraid, it made you feel good-.

Prince Charon and Mr Zoat like this.
  29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given a couple peoples continued insistence that it should work because "close enough" I going to guess they don't realize that Earth 12 Kryptonite is a unique mineral and unlike every single other occurrence of the material wasn't actually created from Krypton exploding.

30. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh, some of that is kinda weird, but it's also common for businesses to focus on PR above quality and customer service. But it's also perfectly possible for "cost-efficiency" to be bad; see: companies deciding whether or not to issue product recalls on the basis of "will the recalls cost us more money than potential lawsuits from injury and death caused by our product?". I guess that also focusing on providing good products/service might avoid that, though.

Personally, I would say that the real issue behind both of those bad outcomes is something else entirely.

I don't disagree with you, but that is a really, really, rea-hea-heally wide net right there.

That basically includes... almost every parent whose ever lived, most pious individuals from most religions which have ever existed, just about anyone who's vouched for any particular philosophy, most philosophers, most politicians, oodles of people who don't fit in any particular category...

I'd wager that's like, 90% of the population right there. It's very rare that you see someone with a mindset along the lines of "you do you" to such a degree.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of instances of that might be considered a mental illness. Just about anyone who cares about people has some idea of how they ought to be doing things. Only the thoroughly asocial would be genuinely selfless, because they don't care about other people at all.

Again, not actually disagreeing with you. I'm just pointing out that humans tend to be systemically selfish.