1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Enter the Dragon (Harry Potter/Shadowrun)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Dunkelzahn, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ayashi

Ayashi Connoisseur.

i remember reading, though i can't seem to find the link for it, that the true reason for menopause is that each cycle's ovum release induces massive scarification on the ovary, rendering a large area of it useless for later cycles. If there were a way to remove that scar issue (magic regeneration potions? they can easily regrow significant parts of a skeleton afterall...) a woman would have enough 'in the tank' for multiple millennia of fertility.

Grimrr and caspian1a like this.
  2. Wolfboy

Wolfboy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I swear, I wish I could either post or at least link the Shadowrun history section for this time frame. You think this is dark you ain't see

Reread the early Shadowrun history, the incident that declared the megacorps as extraterritorial is just one of many happenings in the 90s in that universe that fits in perfectly with this story.

3. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

I have. I'm a long time fan of Shadowrun.

It's just that Shadowrun has nothing so.... thorough. Nor long lasting. There's some serious monstering, but nothing that lasts for 100's of years.

People can fight back in Shadowrun. People do fight back in Shadowrun.

If nothing else, there's always somebody you can pay to help, even if you're looking at a Mega-Corp coming for you. That's simply not true, in this setting.

The monsters work together, here.

Grimrr and caspian1a like this.
  4. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Voldemort: Avada Kedavra!

Harry:
    [​IMG]

Ginnymort: Avada Kedavra!

Harry:
    [​IMG]

Magic Human Trafficking Ring: "Oh hey, you look valuable."

Harry:
    [​IMG]

5. Edmond G. Bertrand

Edmond G. Bertrand Getting sticky.

OK - so... awesome update. The two best sections were (1) the whole business with the feral Weasley car, in
    which Bane makes Harry clean up the mess.. because of your excellent dialog between Harry and Bane. I really
    liked that section.

The Second section that was really, really good was the whole business between Harry and the Hat, Donald
    regarding the nature of magic, sentience, and how magical constructions obtain a sort of 'life' because of the
    'fuzz'. I thought that was really just an amazing bit of writing and ought to be mandatory reading for anyone
    thinking about writing fanfiction. You addressed an issue that NO ONE else has talked about, EVER. So
    HUGE kudos to you.

I have sort of a forward looking question about what happens when Su Li tries to bed Harry and Hermione
    finds out about it. Between Hermione and Abigail, Hermione is the more emotionally possessive, and it
    strikes me that Su Li could be in for a very, very rough treatment if Hermione finds out what she's up to.
    How explicit do you intend to be about that and how much do you plan to feature Hermione and her deep-seeded
    feelings for Harry? Are you going to have her speak frankly to Harry about how she feels?

Looking forward to all that you do! Love this story.

Ame, Simonbob and caspian1a like this.
  6. Hunting time

Hunting time Getting out there.

Nice chapter

1. Why didn't Dumbledore give Harry the cloak, please dont say he forgot.

2. Ah, poor Ford

3. Su Li is in for a surprise when she finds out Harry is basically immune to magic he doesn't let in and a dragon.

4. Lockhart is boned if he tries to run or attack.

Grimrr, Damnedmatt, Ame and 1 other person like this.
  7. simssss

simssss Getting some practice in, huh?

Is hagrid with them in the room?

8. Hunting time

Hunting time Getting out there.

Not yet

9. Edmond G. Bertrand

Regarding the trip to Lake Erie - You wrote
    "“I believe you are underestimating the distances involved, Master Snape,” Slackhammer explained. “A meeting with the Great Council will take place at the Great Longhouse, located on the southern shore of Lake Erie, thus, you will be flying into Erie, Pennsylvania. It will be easy enough to arrange to feed Mr. Potter during your time with the Great Council, but you will be traveling overland nearly three thousand miles. Using the methods available — essentially the non-magical highway system — that means nearly three days of continuous travel. Assuming you stop to sleep, that will stretch the time to the better part of a week.”

I think this is in error. They could fly Glasgow -> Boston, Boston, MA -> Erie, PA in
    two fairly quick hops. That's about 3313 miles all totaled. It would take them about two days...
    given that Harry would have to eat after arriving in Boston (there are major scrap yards in
    Revere, MA, which is right next to the airport). They could then fly to Erie, PA, which
    would be a flight of less than two hours. Eazy Peezy.

10. Dunkelzahn

Dunkelzahn No one of consequence

The trip they're taking is in several sections:
    • Glasgow to Erie (via a direct chartered flight on account of the crowd they're taking along both for the negotiations and the technical side of things)
    • Negotiations with the Confederate leadership (local to Erie)
    • Road trip to the site of the nexus (in the coastal mountain ranges of British Columbia)
    • Time on site there to perform the discharge
    • Road trip back to Erie, PA for the flight home
    • Erie to Glasgow return flight
    It's the road trips Slackhammer's talking about, not the transatlantic flight. They need to fly into Erie to talk with the Grand Council for permission to do what they're doing and because of the flight restrictions imposed by the Confederacy for magicals, but after the audience with the Grand Council, they will have to travel overland --- again due to the travel restrictions --- from Erie to the nexus in question, which Snape mentioned is in the coastal mountain ranges of British Columbia. That is about a 3000 mile drive each way, during which Harry must be fed if they don't want to tempt fate, and given the logistics of such a trip, Slackhammer felt it would be simpler to pack a box lunch for the young dragon.

11. Drake

Drake Know what you're doing yet?

Uhm,why do they have to travel back to Erie? Couldn't they take a direct flight from Vancouver or whatever airport is near the site? The alarm spells should only trigger when magicals land, not when they walk into an airport.

Grimrr and Edmond G. Bertrand like this.
  12. MutantRancor

MutantRancor [Suspected Sithspawn]

A mobile home is a non-motorized small house on wheels that is towed to its destination and then permanently mounted to a foundation there.

I think the synonymous term you're looking for is "motor-home."

Grimrr and Dunkelzahn like this.
  13. Dunkelzahn

Point. That might well be the way to go. I don't have anything narratively significant that has to happen on the return trip, so that might be the way to go.

Ah, thanks. Now changed.

Grimrr, Damnedmatt and MutantRancor like this.
  14. GhostHaxStomp

GhostHaxStomp I trust you know where the happy button is?

Really? I’ve heard trailers, RV’s, and campers all called mobile homes before, but I’ve never heard the shipped houses called that.

Doesn't really make sense to me to call it a “mobile home” if it’s only mobile when it’s getting there and nobody can use it as a home.

Corvus 501, Grimrr and Ame like this.
  15. Edmond G. Bertrand

OK... but this still doesn't make any sense. You can fly from Erie, PA to Vancouver in about 5 hrs. and then they could hit the scrap piles that are along the river, just north of the city, before driving into the mountains. There is no justifiable reason to do that kind of a road-trip.

Damnedmatt likes this.
  16. Dunkelzahn

Those restrictions don't change after you've touched down once, so your proposed Erie-Vancouver trip will end with a very unpleasant (read: lethal) response in Vancouver.

Grimrr, Happerry and Ame like this.
  17. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

They're mobile caves that never go anywhere. Clearly.

GhostHaxStomp likes this.
  18. Gaming Geek

Gaming Geek Tired of the random default stuff

Which again, as he asked, why do you go through the work of setting up the first flight, when there are flights that GO THERE? Just work out the paperwork/negotiations for the direct flight.

If you can't, then how did you get the first flight to let you show up?

Damnedmatt likes this.
  19. MutantRancor

MutantRancor [Suspected Sithspawn]

The fact that they're movable is irrelevant to how they gained their name.

They're called mobile homes because they were invented in Mobile, Alabama, and were constructed there for many years.

Grimrr likes this.
  20. zup

zup Experienced.

The first flight to America is to the one exception airport which they permit wizards and witches to land. And they stopped negotiating special exceptions elsewhere because their enemies exploited that gap in their defences.

21. Drake

Drake Know what you're doing yet?

It's basically how their defenses are set up. They have a massive ward scheme that locates any wizard entering from above. Unless they touch down at Erie Airport, a hunter-killer team is send to deal with the problem; and because of how many citizens were killed by the raiders, they aren't gentle or inclined to ask questions. It's just too high risk for them during war.
    As explicitly stated in the chapter, they used to have paperwork to allow internal flights, until their enemies gained access to it and managed to stage an very destructive raid.

Thinking about it, I am convinced that the Confederacy is hurting itself a lot by having just one accepted landing point. Expanding it to even seven would make internal travel a lot more convenient and be very useful for trade, but I'm assuming they have other problems to deal with at the moment.

Grimrr, Damnedmatt, Ame and 1 other person like this.
  22. GhostHaxStomp

GhostHaxStomp I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thanks for telling me that, genuinely didn’t know they were made there.

Damnedmatt, Ame and MutantRancor like this.
  23. Gaming Geek

So can I ask this then. They want to go to Vancouver yes?

...you know, on the other side of the continental US.

.....where there's likely a port of entry like the one on the East Coast.

And where we have IRL airplanes going to from Europe w/o landing mid-way.

Just asking. Also I don't believe that the Shadowrun nations were quite like that, the native tribes weren't one huge government outside one part in the middle yes?

Corvus 501 likes this.
  24. zup

zup Experienced.

It is irrelevant if you take a direct flight or not, land anywhere else and the natives will murder first and ask questions never. It is right there in the story.

I am not enough of a Shadowrun guru to say how and when the nations diverged from our own. Harry Potter fanon crossover elements have replaced much of Shadowrun canon, I think.

Grimrr and Damnedmatt like this.
  25. Gaming Geek

Yes. Right there in the story, where they have places that let people land without being killed.

And there's an ENTIRE different side to the continent. Which Vancouver is on. Why not just go around with airplanes and land on the other side in whatever port city they have on that side?

And as for the landscape of Shadowrun...

(edit) Sorry, bad link the first time.

[​IMG]

I mean, it's not like the native populations are a solid block against Azteca.

(edit) Wow, it's been so long I forgot Texas was that much of a mess....

26. Edmond G. Bertrand

I'm still not sure I get it. Are you saying that Canada is part of the Magical U.S. ? Why would flying from Erie, PA to Vancouver be a problem? I guess I don't understand the shape of the territory controlled by the Grand Council that you're envisioning. It seems that putting in this road-trip is just complicating the story when it's not necessary to the greater story-line (unless you're planning on something happening to Hermione or Abigail while Harry's away and you're using it as cover for that nefarious business).

Damnedmatt likes this.
  27. Dunkelzahn

So, a bit of background for the setting:

Shadowrun canon involves a world in which everything magical disappears for thousands of years at a time, only to return from the depths of prehistory in a sudden unexpected reveal. This setting has magic become greatly restricted in extent, but not disappear completely, during those low-magic eras. During the Fifth Age, specifically, the small surviving magical component of the world chose to actively hide from everyone else, altering the dynamic of the past in a variety of ways. That is a very big change in the setting, and as a result, entire stretches of Shadowrun historical canon will be significantly changed.

For instance, in the back-history of the collapse of the USA and the formation of the NAN, Daniel 'Howling Coyote' Coleman canonically managed to make great inroads because he was one of the first magic users to reappear, and he used that novelty to engage in his unique form of aggressive homebrew vulcanism essentially unopposed. In this setting there is already a magical government in place with their own, much more experienced, magical combat personnel. The Confederacy is unlikely to be particularly tolerant of some young dumbass setting off volcanoes in their territory, nor are they particularly sympathetic toward their now quite distant non-magical cousins. The resulting political landscape of the Sixth World's North America is thus going to be quite different, or at least formed by different forces, than the one in Shadowrun canon.

As for the current structure of magical North America, the Shadowrun Native American Nations didn't form until 2018 when the Treaty of Denver recognized their sovereignty and ceded the western half of the US and Canada in exchange for an end to Daniel Howling Coyote's string of volcanic mass-murders. At the moment in-story, Howling Coyote is nearing his second birthday on an Indian Reservation somewhere in the US, so if we were dealing solely with the Shadowrun nations, everything would still be firmly under the control of the normal U.S. and Canadian governments at this point in history.

By contrast, the Confederacy in this setting has existed to one extent or another for over fifteen hundred years (I'm using the legendary accounts of the formation of the Haudenosaunee nations, rather than the currently accepted historical consensus that places the founding much later). It began as the original Haudenosaunee Confederation (a.k.a the Iroquois Nation), which formed around through the efforts of Hiawatha, Jigonhsasee, and the Great Peacemaker. I have them separating from their non-magical counterparts sometime in the eleventh century AD and going their own way, much like most every other wizarding society in the world (odd how widespread that tendency was, one might call it suspicious). The other native tribes went through their own wizarding secrecy movements as well, and while the non-magical remnants did their own thing, remaining separate until the eventual European colonization, the magical side of things banded together over time into the Confederacy, due in large part to the constant threat from their hyper-aggressive neighbors to the south.

As a result, the wizarding side of North America consists of two macroscale political entities: Aztlan (the Aztecs) which is a notoriously violent theocracy whose primary form of worship consists of sacrificing captured slaves and ritual cannibalism; and the Confederacy; which is a loose voluntary federation of everyone else. Nonmagical political divisions are entirely irrelevant in this context. European colonization never included many wizards, so there is no magical US, magical Canada, or any other magical equivalent of the modern nations of the western hemisphere. Aztlan coincidentally occupies close to the same space as nonmagical Mexico, but the two entities are not actually linked.

The closest ties between the two worlds in the western hemisphere are actually the drug cartels, which bridge the magical-nonmagical divide. They were created to push the Awakened drug, cocaine, which, in addition to generating a great deal of non-magical currency, also serves as part of a distributed blood magic harvesting scheme to draw magical energy from the suffering resulting from the drug's use. The power collected is a large part of why the Aztec blood mages are so feared. The South American cartels are run by the Inca (who originally developed the magical coca plant and its use), and the Mexican ones are tied to the Aztecs (who stole it from the Inca).

As a general note for the setting, wizarding national borders are generally independent of the non-magical nations occupying the same territory with three notable exceptions. The first is Britain, which is nominally tied to the non-magical royalty by lingering oaths which were forced upon them by Merlin during the time of Camelot. Though it should also be noted that between the secrecy policies and the historical changes in the royal bloodline, those oaths are very loose at present time. The second, Japan, is under much more binding sovereignty magics tying them to the Chrysanthemum Throne; however, a bit of political scheming and some targeted regicide has essentially rendered the binding almost entirely irrelevant on a practical level by making it impossible for the current Emperor to issue official commands to his magical subjects. The last is the Magical Romanian Empire, the emperor of which was originally the entirely non-magical Voivode of Wallachia before he became magical due to an accident. While the Empire has greatly expanded in the five and a half centuries of its existence, its European border remains unchanged.

28. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

Voivode of Wallachia.
    Accident making someone magical.
    550 years ago.

Vlad III Tepes was Voivode of Wallachia in 1448, and vampirism is magical.

29. Dunkelzahn

Well spotted, though what actually happened was significantly weirder than the known issue of vampirism. The situation was mentioned briefly back in 2.12.1.

30. Furoan

Furoan Making the rounds.

Point of order, Howling Cayote's thing was fucked up but he got away with it because the Great Ghost Dance was not just organised magic but blood magic(a seriously fucked up thing in Shadowrun), and is implied to have hastened the return of the horrors by centuries.

More, the return of magic in the Awakening set of a chain of events that ultimately led to the Great Ghost Dance. For one, the increase in magic from its resting state apparently made nuclear reactors/weapons dangerously unstable, and two entire parts of the planet were being reclaimed by nature no matter what happens (what happens when your own wakes up in the morning to find out that 50 foot trees have grown through your living room).

The leadup to the Great Ghost Dance is an entire series of fucups that is horribly racist both in universe from the point of view of the native americans and especially the US Goverment and Corps, and out of universe in the terms of the writers. I mean the Ghost Dance can't be said to be good but it was brought about by the strip mining of native american land and confining them to 're-education camps', the re-emergance of magic and VITAS (the super plague that killed of a quarter of the planets population).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.