1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Enter the Dragon (Harry Potter/Shadowrun)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Dunkelzahn, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megamiaouh

megamiaouh Not too sore, are you?

There's also the factor of various immortal beings working in the background to achieve their own objective, Shadowrun is choke full of conspiracies. Some of which probably manipulated and caused the nuclear accidents to help the creation of megacorp sovereignty.

2. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

So it was.

This does somewhat imply Vlad III is not the Romanian Emperor, though Snape isn't exactly known for reverence.

Also, historical Vlad is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills turks and doesn't afraid of anything. If he got away with not being undead in this setting, I totally approve.

Damnedmatt, Ame and caspian1a like this.
  3. freakytiki34

freakytiki34 Making the rounds.

Yep. Seems like our favorite dragon isn't the only one who hooked himself into one of these nodes. Fun times ahead for sure.

Grimrr, Damnedmatt, Ame and 1 other person like this.
  4. Edmond G. Bertrand

Edmond G. Bertrand Getting sticky.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok - so I see where you're going with the story, and I appreciate that very much. I still don't understand though why the threat of a 'kill-team' would even *slightly* threaten Harry, and by extension, anyone around him. He's terrifying, just as a boy. What is a kill team going to do when their magic can't affect him and him can grab them, snap their necks, and then eat them? How terrifying would Harry be if someone threatened Snape or Minerva or anyone travelling with Harry? I can't even imagine the level of violence that Harry would unleash... and what it would be like to be the asshole who ordered them kill team when Harry caught up with him/her.

Damnedmatt and caspian1a like this.
  5. QuietlyObserving

QuietlyObserving Life is hard, sometimes.

Yes, that's true. But considering the fact that Harry might well end up slaughtering the Kill Team, that sort of thing would forever ruin any diplomatic relations, and wiping out the kill team would be cold comfort if one of his friends had been caught in the crossfire.

Better to go through the proper channels and build a positive relationship from the start.

Grimrr, Damnedmatt, Skjadir and 4 others like this.
  6. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

It wouldn't, but killing the troops that show up to stop Aztec raiders is not a good way to introduce yourself when you are asking for a favor.
    Additionally, they're trying to keep everything as low key as possible,

Grimrr, Damnedmatt, Ame and 3 others like this.
  7. corndogman

corndogman Journeyman Munchkin

So, are they aware that Harry is a dragon? Hell, forget that, are they aware that he's a shapeshifter? If not, they're in for the nastiest surprise this side of Pearl Harbor.

The rest of the world can only hope the Su clan doesn't have access to assassins, ineffectual as they would be; if and when Harry dies, the fact that his body is a multi-ton mass of metal, flesh, and a mix of the most volatile, barely-metastable chemicals known and unknown to mankind, all balanced precariously by what might be the magical equivalent of a fucking degeneracy reactor... well... can you say "planet buster"?

Boy, I hope to God they come to their senses reeaal quick if they show up. Shit, why not name Harry the next coming of Quetzalcoatl or something?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  8. zup

zup Experienced.

Do Shadowrun dragons have finite lifespans? At least the big, relevant dragons are very old.

Grimrr, Damnedmatt and corndogman like this.
  9. corndogman

I dunno about finite, but according to the wiki, Alamais, Dunkelzahn, and Nachtmeister were all killed, so make of that what you will.

Damnedmatt likes this.
  10. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Shadowrun dragons don't die of old age. They're also immune to disease, nearly immune to magic, and fully capable of magics that no human can come close to.

You can kill them, though, if you're hard enough, it's true. I'm not sure anybody in the Wizarding World counts, however.

Grimrr and Damnedmatt like this.
  11. pjung

pjung Know what you're doing yet?

possibly the Dracula version if anyone. He seems to be the scariest person around.
    maybe also the Wurrugu, a ritual able to wipe out a magical nation covering a decent portion of south america instantly sounds like the sort of thing that could kill a Great Dragon, the Thirty-Seconds War is a terrifying feat

Damnedmatt likes this.
  12. Simonbob

Don't know anything about "Dracula" in Shadowrun. Haven't seen that one.

But, as for magic..... There seems to be two levels of magic. PC level, pretty impressive, sure, but, when you read some of the books, the big rituals....

The Great Ghost Dance is the classic example. "We want independance! The Volcano's will continue until we get it!" Insane levels of power.

No PC magic can really compare with a Great Dragons. The big rituals in lore? They're, well, they're capable of all sorts of things.

13. GhostHaxStomp

GhostHaxStomp I trust you know where the happy button is?

He’s an HP side in this fic. He’s been mentioned a couple of times; really old, shockingly strong, very mysterious.

Damnedmatt and Simonbob like this.
  14. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

Why? We're talking about Aztecs, I hope they all rush to attack Harry

Damnedmatt, wichajster and corndogman like this.
  15. corndogman

And what, get completely obliterated within 30 seconds, max? I admit the human race is not known for making well-thought-out decisions, but that's maybe taking things a bit far. Self-preservation instincts at least would be screaming "No" in mile-high flames etched into a mountain.

16. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

I repeat, they're Aztecs, having that happen would be great.
    Maybe, but the question was about what we hope they'd do, not what they'd be likely to do.

17. corndogman

I didn't think the Aztecs were that bad...

...fair.

wichajster likes this.
  18. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

Real life Aztecs sacrificed (i.e killed in a very painful fashion) thousands of people (possibly hundreds of thousands, sources vary) out of belief this was needed to sustain the god that kept the world from being destroyed. That would be bad enough IMO.
    Shadowrun Aztecs are sacrificing tens of thousands (or more, depictions vary) out of greed for power. That's MUCH worse.

19. Simonbob

With the Horror in the basement, well, there's a reason Aztechnology leads the world in both blood magic and cyber-zombieing.

The best at horrific magic, that's them.

20. simssss

simssss Getting some practice in, huh?

Hope to see more of those interesting interaction of our most interesting dragon. Especially ginnymort so funny these fails haha.

21. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Ah, dammit. I've caught up.

22. Demonfir

Demonfir Getting out there.

Ah damn! That was my line! I’ve been ninja’d due to a fluke in the password/login gods.

that said I will return in one month based on the current pace of writing releases....

or ill get impatient and return turn every few days XD

HOLY COW! Dunzelkahn you really did crank out the words with that last release! Just realized it was practically a double release at 12k words! Can’t wait to get more! Would also love to see some of those stressful situations that cause reversion of Harry’s speech! (Okay that’s just for the lols but yeah that speech reversion just might make a little more sense this time)

overall I‘m wracking my brains trying to see how Su Li is going to become an adversary/ villainess without crossing the line (but still being a general PITA).

For now awesome job man! Hope you weren’t wrapped up in any of the fallout from madame Dorian. She was a real nasty piece of work in the bahamas and the Carolina coast

Damnedmatt and Acolyte like this.
  23. EternitynChaos

EternitynChaos Once there was a Maiden...

The problem with this sort of plan to kill Great Dragons is that one and all of them have the ability to spend, not burn Karma as players do to avoid dead and suddenly be half way across the world from whatever tried to kill them, there is a reason the go to method for killing dragons by other dragons is drowning them in Heroes able to do similar things and to force them to spend all there Karma, then to basically Nuke them from orbit with Breath Weapon attacks

there is literally nothing as hard to kill in Shadowrun/Earthdawn as a Great Dragon, even Horrors and insect spirits die easier

Grimrr, Damnedmatt and caspian1a like this.
  24. drvash

drvash Getting some practice in, huh?

QUESTION:
    For the professors’ side projects, have Flitwick and Pomfrey made any progress reverse-engineering Harry’s flight organs?

Flitwick said a broomstick not 100% dependent on ambient mana could allow wizards to travel to The Moon, jumpstarting magical space exploration.

Once the Statute of Secrecy falls in 2011, whoever owns the patent* could earn a fortune putting Muggle satellites into orbit. Currently, IRL space launches cost $10,000 per pound ($27,500 per kilogram).

Link: https://shadowrun.fandom.com/wiki/Space

Cheap satellite uplift would help post-Awakening Earth quickly rebuild its telecommunications network, electronic infrastructure, and orbital surveillance systems, mitigating the chaos caused by the return of magic.

*If Harry co-owns the patent or buys it from Flitwick, imagine Hogs Haulage Ltd. expanding to include interplanetary supply logistics like the Spacing Guild in Frank Herbert’s “Dune” series.

Link: https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Spacing_Guild

25. Acolyte

Acolyte Know what you're doing yet?

I approve of harry the space wizard dragon. Also presumably those bacteria wont follow us off world we can have a world where there is no low magic age.

26. drvash

drvash Getting some practice in, huh?

And it’d give Pomona Sprout a project to work on, as the Herbologist Hufflepuff hasn’t contributed much to the professors’ R&D:

=(A) Attempt to build a prototype closed ecological system like IRL Arizona’s Biosphere-2 for self-sustaining agriculture on the Moon.

In the short-term, Sprout’s super-greenhouse designs* would be very important in 2011 when the Statute of Secrecy falls, as FOOD SHORTAGES always occur during major prolonged crises (Great Depression, WWII, etc.). This would give Harry a means to provide humanitarian aid and literately starve out his enemies.

*Yes, I’m sure wizardkind (or the Gringotts goblins) already has the spells and Herbology knowledge to do so, it’s just that nobody has combined it all together in such a way before, and working out the bugs can take years of trial and error.

=(B) Whether or not growing the right magical plants in lunar greenhouses can create small Mana-rich pockets, which would make it easier for wizards to cast spells on the Moon, enhancing wizards’ ability to build and maintain a lunar outpost.

Also, successfully creating small Mana-rich pockets on the Moon could be considered a type of TERRAFORMING.

=(C) Studying the effects of magical plants grown in outer space, particularly species affected by lunar cycles or the position of planets/stars.

Additional revenue stream if magical plants grown in outer space are a valuable potion ingredient.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plants_in_space
    Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrobotany
    Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_tree

Grimrr, Damnedmatt, Acolyte and 2 others like this.
  27. Hk473

Hk473 Versed in the lewd.

How have I not found this earlier?
    enter the dragon is a favorite of mine, and this is just as well done.

looking forwards to seeing where you take the story, and curious to see when 4th year comes along what the dragon makes of the Veela.

Edmond G. Bertrand and simssss like this.
  28. Demonfir

Demonfir Getting out there.

Peeks back in.... dang it’s been awhile. Something must be up. Almost 3 months without a word

CesareBorgiaWrites and Acolyte like this.
  29. Edmond G. Bertrand

• Don't necro. This is against Rule 7.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought about that, but I have to figure that if Harry is everything that has been written so far, that he's absolutely immune to Fleur's charms...
    whereas he's not immune to Hermione's... but that has to do with the fact that little by little, Hermione's affection for him is beginning
    to worm its way under his skin and down into his soul. He's already at the point that if anyone touches her, they die.

Just my $0.02 worth....

the_scribbler

caspian1a likes this.
  30. Edmond G. Bertrand

I went back to re-read 3.18.xxx and came across this:

"“It has to do with the nature of magic,” the sentient headgear began. “Magic adheres to purpose at its most basic form, that is, free magic — magic that is not already bound to a purpose — will tend to enhance whatever purpose it finds nearby. I believe you were instructed in this during your basic charms curriculum last year?”

“Yep,” Harry said with an affirmative nod, causing Donald to sway on his perch atop the currently human-shaped dragon’s head. “I remember that lesson.”

“One important consequence of that tendency arises in long-running or very powerful spells,” the Hat continued after his conversation partner stilled. “Despite being constructed of magic, a spell itself has a purpose, and free magic will tend to try to enhance it just as it would any other. This tendency has several consequences. For one, it means that enchantments will gain strength over time, for better or for worse…”

“You must be really strong after all this time then, right, Mr. Donald?” Harry offered. “I mean, you’ve been around Hogwarts for like a thousand years now, right? And there’s lots of free magic around here.”

“After a fashion, I suppose,” the Hat allowed. “Though I should point out that the supposed ‘strength’ of my enchantments would only come into play should they be able to directly contest something, which they cannot by their nature. The magics of which I am composed simply record and process information before regurgitating an answer. The only thing they could contest would be a direct attack on the spells themselves — an attempt to disenchant me or corrupt my purpose, as it were. Though, that discussion leads into the second consequence of such enhancements.”

“What’s that?” Harry asked.

“The the more magic a spell is exposed to, assuming it is durable enough to survive, the more idiosyncracies it will collect,” the Hat explained. “Essentially, it means that the older a spell is, and thus the more magic it is exposed to, the more lifelike it will act, regardless of its actual purpose. It is commonly referred to as the tendency of magic to beget life.”

“Why?”

“The technical term for it is, as silly as it sounds, teleological fuzz,” Donald chuckled. “Can you guess what it means?”

“Well, ‘telos’ means ‘purpose’ in Greek, so it’s probably something about that,” the young dragon frowned thoughtfully. “I’m not sure what to make of the ‘fuzz’ bit; how would that fit together with ‘purpose’ anyway?”

“Think of ‘fuzz’ in this context as little extraneous bits that stick out from the main body,” the Hat prompted. “As if you had dropped a piece of candy on the ground and it picked up various debris.”

Harry’s currently human-shaped eyes widened, “You mean it’s little bits of ‘purpose’ that got stuck onto the main one? How would that even happen? I mean, it’s not like there are ‘purposes’ lying all over everywhere, are there?”

“Actually, there are, after a fashion,” Donald corrected. “The world is full of such purposes, and life is the principal source of most of them. What is a living creature, after all, if not a collection of various bits and bobs bound together in a common purpose?”

The young dragon nodded slowly as he processed the idea. “I suppose that makes sense,” he allowed, “but why would any of those affect a spell, especially one that is durable enough to last for a long time? Wouldn’t that kind of thing have to be made to resist external influence?”

“They are, in fact,” the Hat gave the odd mental impression of nodding, even as it remained motionless on Harry’s head. “Yet no such measures are perfect, so while they might delay things, they will never completely stop the process.”

Harry hummed for a moment before nodding in acknowledgement of the point and asking, “So, how does this teleological fuzz thing work, then? I mean, I know you explained it as little bits of purpose sticking to a spell, but… well, it’s not like it’s real, material stuff — as far as I know, you can’t go out and grab a handful of ‘purpose’ — so how does it stick to anything, even magic? I mean, if it were the same stuff as magic, I guess that’d work, but I can see magic, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen something like that.”
    =================================================================================================

From a pure story-telling perspective, and more specifically, from the perspective of someone taking up JKR's work, this is some of the best writing that's ever been done in
    a fanfiction work. Not only does it offer clarity in terms of the way that magic might very well work, but it generates so very many possibilities. It's the kind of thing
    that JKR should have seen as being possible in the world she initially built (but didn't) and it took you to come along and offer this commentary.

Regards,
    the_scribbler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.