1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Drider-Girl and the Head-Cannon of DOOM (Worm SI SV!CYOA)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by SamPardi, Feb 26, 2015.

1. SamPardi

SamPardi Versed in the lewd.

The immunity wasn't in the CYOA's description and I don't particularly care to change it now.

The tarantula images I'm using for my model usually have a top row with two main eyes flanked by two side facing eyes over a row of four smaller eyes. I just decided to drop the bottom row rather than putting several small eyes across her cheeks. I felt it would not only detract from the cuteness, but be something that should be a constant distraction but that I'd forget to write after a chapter or two.

Psychic Programming: The complexity of an action is represented as a value between 1 and 100, you may only perform actions that are less complex than your skill in PP. However, you may take as many actions in a single turn as you like so long as the sum of their complexities is less than or equal to your PP. Multitasking doubles the value of your PP for the purposes of the latter, but not the former.

SerbobIV likes this.
  2. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Huh, so it does. Guess the CYOA missed something. Though I've only read 1 gamer story that actually used gamer's mind the right way apparently.

3. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

Well it can be interpreted to not provide immunity, it might be a case such as Twilight for example where the perfect mental shield failed to block the empath because it was chemical based rather mental based. Just as an example for how it could be bypassed, admittedly that gives a lot of potential holes for Worm characters who tend to have more biological based powers then mental ones at a technical level. There must also presumably be holes as the Gamer is still capable of feeling things like fear and desire but they could both be definitely argued to be status effects, particularly supernaturally induced fear but even broader things such as love or attraction have definite arguments for being psychological effects.

Anyway it's irrelevant here as they're not playing as total mental attack immunity, anyway the Gamer ability from the CYOA is clearly just based off the Gamer and isn't a straight rip or it would've specified so like it does for half the powers on the thing.

doomlord9 and OverReactionGuy like this.
  4. Cutesquid

Cutesquid Know what you're doing yet?

Whatever works for the story, it's a fanfic after all so you're free to change anything.

There's a lot a leeway in how you want to depict that even if you stick to canon, The Gamer webcomic is inconsistent at the best of times.

As far as desire being a status effect, that sounds rather Buddhist. The Gamer Bodhisattva?

5. SamPardi

Just posting here, no I haven't abandoned this for my other thread. Just really changed gears for what I wanted from the next few chapters and its taking some time to get that written.

6. AckSed

AckSed I trust you know where the happy button is?

Good to know. Tried my own restricted take on the CYOA, came out awkward; need to take another crack at it.

7. edmantgoog

edmantgoog Not too sore, are you?

just found this love it

8. Threadmarks: Chapter 1.6
    SamPardi

Chapter 1.6 Coronation

On Sunday, Sam didn't have time to worry about the possible loss of her new friend. Instead she was up at the crack of dawn and bundled down to the PRT Headquarters.

On her way from the Van to the building's entrance she looked out at the horizon and barely noticed the first rays of the sun. Her attention was brought back to her surroundings when a tall woman in a dark business suit walked up to her and shoved a small stack of note cards into her hands.

"Those contain your speech and the PR approved answers to various questions. Memorize them and don't lose them. We've vetted the reporters and they know the allowed questions. If anyone goes wildly off script Piggot or Miss Militia will step in. If the cards don't cover it and they haven't that means they trust you not to embarrass yourself with the answer so stay calm and stick with your established persona." The woman told her. "Any questions?"

"Just one, ma'am," Sam tried to stay respectful, "I don't think we've been introduced..."

"Grace Volti, Wards Public Relations, Senior Event Management North-East. That means I organize most shindigs like this east of Minnesota and north of the Carolinas. I've introduced a lot of wards. Stick to the cards, smile whenever possible and I guarantee you'll make a great first impression," Grace rattled off as they walked. "Now, we need to get you to make-up. The morning will be a photo shoot for the press release and your first wave of promotionals. After that you'll get a break for lunch then your team will arrive and we'll start the dress rehearsals."

Sam was ushered off to a room with gym equipment lining one side, and the acrid scent of stale sweat barely detectable beneath the pungent odors of cleaning alcohols and too many perfumes. They'd apparently set up some sort of portable salon station in the middle of the room and were taking advantage of the mirrors coating the back wall. Oddly though it didn't have a seat, well less oddly when she realized it was entirely meant for her.

As the make-up artist led her over she dropped the note cards into her inventory for safe keeping. Instead of simply sitting in a slot, though, they disappeared and a new hud box with text from the cards that she could flip through appeared. 'Well that's convenient,' she thought to herself.

"Ugh, let's not go too heavy but a bit of blue around the eyes. Hazel is too plain for a princess, make those sapphire flecks dominate, and don't forget the top ones the audience certainly won't! Georgie, do something with that hair. It's adorable, love, but we're going for confident princess not lost little girl." The apparently senior stylist directed their team as they worked. She almost jumped at the hand that unexpectedly pressed into her abdomen. "The fur is lovely, so well maintained. Give her a basic brush down anyways, the camera always loves a bit of extra care."

After about an hour of everything from lipstick to hairspray to skin creme to an almost full body fur brushing she couldn't help but admit she looked devastatingly pretty in her reflection. She also felt manhandled, abused and ready to start mind-spanking the next person to hold an open bottle of chemical solution within three feet of her face. As it was she almost had to resort to that in order to get the alone time necessary to put on her dress.

Finally fully equipped she was marched into a darkly walled room with a few large sections of white canvas hanging down from the ceiling, one so long it rolled out across the floor creating an entirely separate aesthetic space within the room. The photographer was a reedy man with bags under his overly intense eyes, and again he seemed to have a whole team of people at his beck and call.

"Remember, you're a princess. You have the power to break everyone you look at, and the class not to. When you smile it is a gift to the masses, and when you deign to show your displeasure an emotionless snub is more cutting than any sneer. Feel that confidence and project it with everything you can give me." The photographer demanded.

The photo shoot was long and hot. Only Gamer's Body kept Sam from devolving into a living swamp of sweat. Six bottles of water had been sacrificed to slaking her thirst and Gamer's Body was again proving its worth just in keeping her from having to disappear into a bathroom for the next hour.

"They been working you hard?" Battery, or rather her 'civilian' ID of Agent Rebecca Barker, said as she walked up with a bag of heavenly smelling Chinese food.

"Yeah, but I can handle it," Sam replied, "That lunch?"

"Yep," Rebecca replied, "Let's get somewhere we can sit and eat. You know, I remember my introduction. I didn't handle it nearly as well. They actually had to get Legend himself to come down and explain to me what all this had to do with fighting crime... I had a bit of a one track mind back then."

"Wait, Legend was brought in to talk to a brand new Ward?" Sam asked.

"Oh yeah. Legend's big on the Wards program. He's personally mentored a number of the Wards in New York. I was fortunate to catch his attention like that. He's backed off a bit for the last couple years but I hear he's worked with a few that caught his interest," Rebecca told her as they quickly found a break room to eat in.

Sam started into her meal but soon found a moment between bites to bring up her thoughts, "So, I saw Ethan yesterday."

"You did? And let me guess he wants you to put in a good word with me?" Rebecca asked suspiciously.

Sam just shrugged, "Well, to at least tell you he's forgiven in my books. Which honestly was never really a problem, his timing sucked but he wasn't wrong. Triumph got me the PR reports on my costume. If the Protectorate needs me to be a mascot for a new generation... I don't necessarily like it, but I'll give it my best anyways."

"Look, you're not a mascot. That's not... The Wards are supposed to face less violence, and hopefully you'll get to the Protectorate level without running into anything too terrible. Fact is, though, we're Parahumans. If you don't look for a fight, a fight is still going to come looking for you. And you're going to have it worse. Anyone looking to embarrass the Protectorate or just ruin a good thing is going to come gunning for you. But that's true for Vista, and everyone else too. You're part of a team now and you'll be watching each other's backs. Trust me, in the eyes of your teammates, you'll never be just a mascot," She replied. Sam actually found herself misting up at the woman's show of support. "As for Ethan... He came to the Protectorate from... Another angle. He doesn't always get the sense of camaraderie a few years on the same team builds."

"But in that case it clearly isn't his fault he wouldn't understand, unless you explained it to him..." Sam pointed out.

Rebecca sighed, "Yeah, it isn't... I just... So often he makes me want to scream. Then there are those times where he's just so... And then the next day he's back to making me want to tear my hair out." She poked her food a bit.

"Sounds rough. But at least know that I never held it against him. So you can't be mad at him on my behalf anymore! Now you need your own reason," Sam declared.

Rebecca chuckled, "Alright. I'll keep that in mind."

A few minutes later Vista appeared to drag Sam out of the room and off to Rehearsals. Rebecca followed them out into the hall and watched them go. Finally she took out her phone and dialed a number from memory.

"Hey! Yeah, I know it's been a while. No... No... Look, Gabs, I need some advice. You were always the one who got relationships... Ugh... Yes. Yes, I'm calling you about men. Well if you'll stop squealing for a few seconds I'd tell you..."

---

"And now to our main order of business tonight. It's my honor to introduce Brockton Bay's newest Ward, Octette," Miss Militia announced giving Octette her cue. With a deep breath she put on a regal smile and did her best approximation of a gliding step out onto the stage. The supportive smiles of the other Wards helped her get the last bit of mettle into her spine and she made the rest of the trip flawlessly.

"Thank you for your introduction, Miss Militia. However I must insist that it is my honor to be here and to be accepted as part of the Wards," Octette stated graciously. "I arrived in this city without even the memories one should hold most safe. Nevertheless I have been, from the first moment, accepted as a friend. Almost every day I am delighted to find even more friends and allies, more acceptance. This city has quickly grown to become somewhere I will cherish. That I hold gifts that may yet help keep her citizens safe is a blessing most dear."

"And what gifts do you bring to the team exactly?" Miss Militia asked for the sake of the audience.

"Well, I can somewhat unsurprisingly climb any vertical surface without worrying about falling. I also have the gift of telekinesis, that is the capacity to move objects with my mind, though the weight limit on that is dreadfully low. Recently we've also discovered an interesting twist. It seems that with a touch I can charge an object small enough to move with my powers and cause it to multiply as I cast it about. The copies are temporary though and even the original item is consumed," Octette replied.

"Hmm, that last one sounds a bit hard to wrap the mind around. Could you give us a demonstration?" Miss Militia asked.

"Certainly," Octette agreed. She held out her hand and a wine glass from one of the server's lifted and sailed smoothly into her hand. The young heroine dipped a finger in the glass and a slight green sheen momentarily enveloped the liquid. Then she quickly flicked the glass upwards causing the liquid inside to spray out. Instead of the red liquid splashing down on the ground between two tables it instead lifted up as a galaxy of floating droplets. She'd discovered on accident that liquid droplets rounded down to 0 programming to control allowing her to game the system and control a technically infinite number so long as she could break them up in the first place. The galaxy multiplied as it ascended until a dozen liquid galaxies orbited the first.

The lights from overhead hit the wine and sparkled while creating a dappled effect on the crowd below as they watched, many in awe. Finally the droplets faded from existence, including the glass' original contents.

"That was quite a beautiful demonstration," Miss Militia praised.

"I believe that bringing beauty into the world and into the hearts of others is a high and worthy calling. If I can do so with my gifts as well as talents, then all the better," Octette replied.

"An excellent philosophy, Octette." Miss Militia said then turned to the audience. "Now if you'll all join me in giving Octette a round of applause and our warm welcome to the Brockton Bay Wards!"

The crowd roared with applause, as did the stage behind her.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  9. rooster

rooster Succ

Awww yesss, I've been waiting for this chapter for a long time.

10. Tisaku

Tisaku Experienced.

to parching her thirst

Thirst is sated.

SamPardi likes this.
  11. Ampersandwich

Ampersandwich Outl&ish Gr& Panj&rum

Usually, hunger is sated. Thirst is quenched.

SamPardi likes this.
  12. SamPardi

And now it is slaked just to be flowery. The input is most assuredly appreciated though.

Ampersandwich likes this.
  13. OverReactionGuy

Honestly, the only thing she needs to do to get good PR is say that she is a giant spider. No one will argue about her worth after that.

Interesting chapter though.

Ergoan, IdrisXY, Mgunh1 and 2 others like this.
  14. SerbobIV

SerbobIV Not too sore, are you?

Fun chapter!
    it had a great opening, but the press conference was a bit clunky and stilted.

15. edmantgoog

edmantgoog Not too sore, are you?

woot update!

cant wait for the press questions

16. steamrick

steamrick Matter: protons, electrons, neutrons and morons

Not sure if there's already been discussion about what weapons Octette will get.

Is she gonna have tranquilizer darts in her arsenal? They should work well with her telekinesis...

Ergoan likes this.
  17. SamPardi

So, I'm willing to go back and edit in more of the party, but I'm drawing a huge blank on the questions segment. So it would be awesome if you all could throw out questions you think might get asked. No promises they'll make it in but some food for thought on this would be hella appreciated. ^.^

18. OverReactionGuy

Joke question. Are you a giant spider?

Honestly, I am coming up with a blank regarding questions as well.

The presentation pretty much covered most of them that would probably be asked.

Like, what is your power and what you aspire too and so on.

Unless the reporters want to ask what her love life is of a what? 8 year old/10 year old?

Could ask how she finds being in the wards so far.

Or how she is dealing with being part spider.

Or does she have spider senses?

Or what was the problem with Glory Girl and her.

Ergoan likes this.
  19. SamPardi

Accidentally went off my meds. That was... fun. For a very Dwarf Fortress definition of fun. Expect more when they start kicking back in.

ward201, Navrin and Bloodshifter like this.
  20. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

Accidentally going off your meds sounds exactly like Dwarf Fortress fun.

fireball900 likes this.
  21. Bloodshifter

Bloodshifter The Bio-Armor Lover

That happens to me often, my roommates now lock their doors at night.

22. AckSed

AckSed I trust you know where the happy button is?

You okay?

1986ctcel and Navrin like this.
  23. SamPardi

Yeah, honestly my current condition isn't really all that bad. But it's the kind that sort of builds up over time and then even when I get back on meds it takes a while to break it back down again. One of the symptoms is a sort of brain fog that makes it difficult to think or concentrate which is why I haven't written much lately. It should clear up in a few days though.

24. DieKatzchen

DieKatzchen Know what you're doing yet?

I've accidentally gone off mine before. My thoughts get very... disjointed. They go from A to D to J without seeming to pass through the intervening letters. I like to call it "Super Free Association."

25. Threadmarks: Chapter 2.1
    SamPardi

Chapter 2.1 Optimism

Margo smiled indulgently as Sam lead her over to the piano. The woman sipped her morning coffee as the spider girl, already in her school uniform and fresh from breakfast, smoothly slid in front of the piano and then leaned slightly backward while relaxing her legs so that her abdomen drooped to nearly touching the ground. It was the closest the girl could come to truly sitting like an ordinary person.

"What are you going to play for me today, Sam?" Margo asked.

Sam grinned, "I had the best idea! I'll tell you what it's called afterward though."

Margo shook her head at the girl's antics but smiled and found a seat of her own all the same.

The girl placed her hands on the keys in preparation and whispered, "this one's for Iz." Then she began to play.

---

"Hey, you hear about the new Ward?"

"The monster cape? Yeah. Fuckin' freaky man."

"Should have just shot her and put her out of their misery when they first found her."

"I know. Ain't even enough to walk around like a human being like the nips and the chinks. Total fucking subhuman."

"We ought to do 'em a favor and just make her disappear. Not like even the weak ass shits over at the PRT would miss 'er."

"Nah man. Kaiser says we leave her alone. I mean I get it and you get it, but we don't want them thinking we'd target any of the real Wards, ya know."

"Fuck. Yeah, I get it. So much bullshit man."

"Always is. Anyways here's the goods, you got Archer corner down by Winslow. Should be well over four hundred for the day."

"White gold, man. White gold."

---

"Another one?"

"Third one this month."

"Shit."

"Captain's been trying to get patrols increased. This many initiations this quick, ABBs gotta be up to something."

"I didn't see shit on the patrol schedule, when's the new one gonna get posted."

"It's not. The PRT are taking jurisdiction. Their usual crap about not wanting us fumbling donut eaters to poke around their dragon."

"Man, fuck 'em. Their idea of being subtle is doing jack all and showing up late just to tell us the obvious, 'yep a fuckin' cape did this shit'."

"I hear ya."

"The fuck of it is, they ain't even all that much more effective than us when it comes down to it. Most these capes go down to a nine mil as easy as anyone. The rest are the fuckin' Protectorate's business anyways, I figure."

"Yeah. Yeah, I know. Situation fucked? Situation normal."

"Oh hey, you got the patrol schedule for the Wards? My little girl wants a signature from the new one... Oct-something. The spider kid, you know."

"Really? I'd have thought she'd be put off by, you know..."

"Connie? Nah, she begged us to buy her a snake for Christmas last year. Hell no we didn't, you know, but she's still into poisonous animals and shit. Thinks the new kid is, and I quote 'Badass'."

"Hah! True that!"

---

"But she's my friend!"

"You are not to go anywhere near that freak, do you understand me!"

"She's not a freak!"

"LOOK AT THIS! Just look at that and tell me she's not a freak!"

"She's not! So she looks different, big fucking-"

"Language! And for that you. are. grounded! You will come straight home after school this week and you will go straight to your room! No TV, no internet!"

"Mom!"

"And I better not hear about spending any more time with that monster! I will be asking your teachers, young woman."

"This is bullshit!"

"You already have one week, are you going for two!?"

---

A tall man in a perfectly tailored suit stood quietly as the sound of the piano filled the room. His mind was already whirling with calculations and equations, but for the moment he could forbear from writing any of them down. For a moment his eyes flicked over the cameras showing the many cells containing his organization's many failures. All of them were looking around in confusion and wonder at the music being filtered into their prison. Sadly none showed any particular recognition. Nothing that stood out as being about their mysterious supposed escapee in any case.

He supposed others might find the sound lovely, optimistic even. Unfortunately, he could no longer feel such ephemeral things. Numbers and calculations were his world, had he known the song in its original form he may be able to make objective judgments as to the length of held notes and the quality of various frequencies of vibration in terms of their relation to the original piece... But he didn't know that piece. Instead, he focused on how the player's lack of hesitation showed a sort of straightforward confidence in their ability. Admittedly supported by their lack of stumbles or obvious errors. It spoke also of a precise but largely intuitive sense of timing. They would need to listen to further sessions, but assuming they chose pieces of higher difficulty it might inform them of the limits of the subjects manual dexterity.

All data that would go to refining his model. Soon... Soon they'd know if the mysterious girl represented a threat... Or an opportunity.

---

Margo watched quietly as her little girl raced down the front steps and down the street. It wasn't long before one of her little friends joined her. The older woman smiled and took a deep breath of morning air. Not perfectly fresh, but not horrible either. Her heart swelled as she saw the children laughing as they walked.

As she turned to walk back in a flash of color caught her eye. Her whole body turned to take in the small rainbow caused by a neighbor's sprinkler system. A small chuckle escaped her as a few words immediately came to mind, "Over the rainbow, indeed..."

Sorain, chxenocide, Retinal and 85 others like this.
  26. steamrick

steamrick Matter: protons, electrons, neutrons and morons

It's been... a while and then some. But no less welcome for it :)

(Also, not even close to the longest wait I've had for a story to revive.)

IdrisXY likes this.
  27. moon so bright

moon so bright Shining Light

Love the story concept - it's nice to see the Gamer done in such a different way (not using mana, but PSI instead).

28. Mgunh1

Mgunh1 MONKE

Oh hey, my favourite little spider girl is back. Time to catch back up.

*Binges*

29. anechoic

anechoic they/them/theirs

I was actually just thinking of this fic the other day, so glad to see it back.

Dragonfiend likes this.
  30. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

That's going to backfire on the poor kid's mother, I think.

DelerpTurtle, Ergoan, Arkos and 2 others like this.