1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Still need to wait a few months to make that work out.

Wouldn't really hold up, since Lisa's (at least supposedly) upset by an ongoing problem, not a one shot thing.

Hers.

Yes.

Ryan Bazana and Snake/Eater like this.
  2. Threadmarks: I wish it could be Canon Omake: Bonds
    Questingdragon

Questingdragon Media Mundivore

Bonds

Amy woke to frantic knocking on her window. She blinked blearily at Prism as the girl kept knocking.

Not again.

She pulled herself out of bed, grabbed her overnight bag just in case and opened the window.

“Is it Bonesaw and Nilbog again? Please don't tell me they've made another attempt at a disco zombie virus?”

“It's Lung and Crawler. It still hasn't happened yet, but the thinker who picked it up says you need to leave now.

Amy sighed and grabbed her Panacea robe from beside the window. As she put it on Oni Lee came out of the shadows, grabbed Prism and teleported with her.

He teleported into three places, and then each of those three teleported, again and again, until Prism cut off her power, and several hundred Oni Lee's and Prism's all slammed back into two bodies.

Amy had never really understood how the Lee/Prism power interaction worked. The only person in her family who had a bond was Shielder, he had found an interstate ward named Shriek, who's sonic attacks could influence his shields, making them tougher and more malleable.

The boy had moved into the bay, and it was rare for the two of them not to stay up late, playing with their powers together. Last night Shielder had been elated at being able to 'trap' Shriek's vibrations, and then make his shield produce them at any point.

Lee reached out to touch Prism and Amy, and both found themselves in the desert.

“You... you really came?” Crawler boomed.

Crawler was a beast, at least ten stories high and shaped like something out of nightmare, his mouth had long since lost the ability to form coherent speech. His voice instead came from a mouth on his knee. Probably grown from sheer need to communicate.

Amy looked in confusion from the knee, to the face, and decided to address the knee. It was closer.

“You, um... you know there's a price right? I need you to promise.”

“I promise. No going near any humans unless there's an Endbringer fight. Just like the woman in the hat and the little girl in a suit said. Please! Save him!”

Amy looked past the knee as a giant claw lifted Lung and shoved him across the sand. He was mostly human, scales had formed, only to be rapidly eaten away by Crawlers acid. Most of his legs were down to the bone, and his torso wasn't a lot better.

Amy shuddered as her fingers entered the slime, but it was organic, which meant she could neutralizer it and begin replacing lost flesh.

“I know I have to be careful with him in the mornings, I didn't mean to spit quite that much acid...”

“I need some biomass.” Amy said.

“Right.” Crawler raised a tendril tipped with a glittering gray blade and drove it into his flesh, tearing out a chunk that was healed almost as soon as it was gone.

Amy reached out for the chunk of flesh and used it to create a new heart, some lungs, a bit more spine...

Lung's regeneration took it from there. New, scaled flesh flowing over his lower body and beginning to form the stumps of legs.

“We should get out of here before they get started. Goodbye Crawler, we'll leave you to it.” Prism said.

Lee nodded in acceptance, and they began their power interaction again. A dozen brightly costumed girls clasped hands with a dozen black clad men in Oni masks, before collapsing into dust.

And then Amy was back home. Staring after the two of them.

It was tough, for those parahumans who didn't find someone to bond with. Matchmaker didn't get around to everyone, and studies showed that parahumans without bonds were severely prone to violence and irrational urges for conflict.

Even the rest of New Wave had their 'sky dance.' Which mainly involved the flying members throwing the non-flying members about in a pattern while everyone tried to create a light display. It wasn't a real bond, it didn't involve a power interaction and it didn't make everyone involved more powerful, but at least it was something.

Something a squishy little healer couldn't be a part of.

Well... back to wracking her brains for a way to create some sort of power interaction with her sister, Amy decided.

Then she saw the Matchmaker, a bright, golden man flying low and carrying someone.

Seeing the Matchmaker wasn't always a good thing. He paired people based on their powers, not on any sort of personal preference. The last time he had been in Brocktown Bay he had paired the vigilante Shadow Stalker with the villain Fog.

It went the way most such meeting did. They briefly tried to kill each other. They discovered their power interaction. They negotiated a bit, because who didn't like an increase in power and options? Slowly they were drawn to each other, developing something that went beyond normal human connections.

They'd killed three independent villains and one independent hero, and were still at large despite the desperation the E88 had shown in hunting down their lost member.

“Everyone! Wake up! Matchmaker is here!” Amy yelled.

It would be perfect if he was bringing someone who's power matched with one of her parents. Someone to make Brandish loosen up would be great. Or someone who could cheer up Flashbang. And if he then looked at her and Victoria and gave her a little shove in her sisters direction...

Victoria poked her head out the window, then levered it up and flew out. Flashbang came out the door, and Brandish was yelling something from the shower when Matchmaker alighted.

He felt sad, lost and lonely. His face was impassive, chiseled from stone, but what he was feeling was broadcast for all to hear. Eternally pairing powers, but never finding anyone to match his own.

He laid a thin, tall girl down on the grass at Amy's feet, and she immediately knelt down and touched the sleeping girls wrist.

Abrasions to her fingers, chemicals in her bloodstream indicating a lot of recent severe stress. Some sort of dampening effect was keeping her asleep, probably something from Matchmaker that would fade soon. Likely a recent trigger.

Then Amy actually looked at the girl, and gently pulled a used tampon from her hair.

(A brief crack AU where Scion decided he likes the bonds fairly early in the piece, and goes around pairing any two parahumans with a potential power interaction. Also, yes I blatantly stole the Lung/Crawler pairing from Wake)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  3. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

THIS... This is... holy fucking SHIT what is this...

*Headdesk* Well, I now know what my supers setting looks like. And its title. Thank you.

Also, you should go post that over at SV so they can enjoy it, too. And put it into the general ideas threads to get even more reactions... it's an insanely fun idea...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  4. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Wow. People in Worm sit down, communicate, come to the root of the problem and solve it.

This has to be its own kind of superpower.

On a meta-note, I like how you avoided any of the doomsday scenarios people (myself included) were throwing out there because we couldn't see a peaceful resolution. Taylor and Amelia accept who they are, Lisa gets some degree of closure.

5. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Here's some gossip i can imagine Zack posting to help cover up the drug bust fiasco to the public.

Extra extra read all about it
    1. tensions RISED between the Founders of Pantheon and Avalon when Lisa told Taylor the horrible truth...That Amelia her loving fiance, has been fattening her up by increasing Taylor meals calories.because Amelia is all about that bass.the infighting has become so terrible that even Crystal has walked away in tears.
    2. Accord has finally found true love... with Dragon but unfortunately she's just not that into him.but don't cry dear reader for our underdog thinker has a plan to win her heart.i even spoke with her noted colleague and fellow tinker Defiant saying "Get out of here" when we asked him his thoughts on the matter inside his lab.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Buggy123, swarm, Ryan Bazana and 4 others like this.
  6. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

That "made to love you" thing was so cheesy everyone in the vicinity will probably be constipated for a week.

One of those things that's absolutely beautiful to the people involved, not so much to an audience. Where's Zach when you need him?

Actually that's a good question. I don't remember hearing about him much recently.

7. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Existentialism, meet your hard counter: Escalationism.

8. dasstan

dasstan :)

I actually thought it was all kinds of creepy.

Rean, Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  9. Faraway-R

Faraway-R Getting sticky.

While this is about as adorable as all Taylia interactions, I am a little worried.

I have success and power and prestige that I didn't have to go through the trouble of earning, because my creator did it for me.
    And I even get to ignore all the guilt and regrets the original accumulated. After all, if I'm not her, then her sins aren't mine to regret. I'm an innocent.
    You were created at the same time, our histories are just memories that aren't even ours, so we don't have to regret them at all, and we're not held to their promises.

And so Taylor is not bound to her predecessor's sins. And so Taylor is not bound to her predecessor's promises. And so Taylor owns a lot.

So what keeps her working on saving the world? What is her duty? What kind of duty is there, that actually binds her?

Lisa dun goofed in it, in forcing Taylor to adopt a "consistent view on her identity". Because the view taken is dangerous, as it implies lack of responsibility on part of the creature.

The memories have value.But in denying them, what would happen?

This Taylor has success and power and prestige she didn't have to go through the trouble of learning. Her memories grant her an intimate understanding of the price necessary to pay for such things. But disregarded, the lessons of weight of power are lost.
    This Taylor can ignore the guilt and regrets of the original. Her memories however grant her a great deal of knowledge on what she would regret. But disregarding them is courting disaster.
    And, this Taylor says she can consider herself not held to previous promises. But if she does not, how much chaos will be there?

And what would happen, if Lisa herself decides to go through the "Rebirth of the Innocence" process?

TL: DR - there is a damn good reason for not dwelling on existential angst and overthinking it.

10. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

It's almost like it's a fix fic.

Dark, ain't it?

... I think I threaded the needle nicely. :D

Taylor's not bound to prior Taylors, no. But the Empress(es) of Avalon are still bound to the promises made by their predecessors. Just like a country doesn't get to go "I know the President signed this peace treaty, but he's not President anymore, I am, and I'm just going to ignore it"... so Amelia and Taylor don't get to ignore Avalon's obligations...

I imagine not wanting her and everything she's ever known (plus an infinite number of copies of her planet) to burn is a good motivator. Enlightened Self Interest and all that jazz.

11. evildice

The first two of those apply to everyone alive.

You are not bound to your own sins or promises, except in so far as you bind yourself to them.

Voluntarily binding yourself by someone else's promises is hardly a novelty, either. Treaties, next-of-kin, legal precedence -- plus stuff like arranged marriages, familial blood-feuds, aristocratic feudalism, etc.

Her own choices. She wakes up and she wants to save the world.

Again, literally anyone alive can do this.

"I've re-invented myself!"

"I'm a new man because I got born again!"

"I'll declare bankruptcy, fuck all those financial promises!"

"I want a divorce, fuck all those romantic and familial promises! Well not literally, though, because divorce ends that specific familial fucking."

These are things people do. They wipe their slate clean (or pretend to do so), and try to make a fresh start. It's not new, it's not difficult, and human civilization has somehow survived so far.

12. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Fucking. God damned. Brilliant.

Fucking. God damned. BRILLIANT.

13. Questingdragon

Questingdragon Media Mundivore

I don't have an account there, and feel it might be unreasonable to make one for a single post.

You have my permission to copy this anywhere you want.

Ryan Bazana and TanaNari like this.
  14. Finbar

Finbar I trust you know where the happy button is?

I......can't say I was happy with how that was resolved.

Lisa has fucked the team. Crystal quitting is only one point. It's like she has gone out of her way to set things up so that she is the only one with a reason to connect to Earth Bet from Earth Pantheon, due to her link with Rebecca. Aside from that, she is tweaking things so that it will come tumbling apart when she wants and the first block has just fallen.

The question is, why?

Wanting Taylor to admit she was a copy is a minor thing in my mind. It's a justification, not a reason.

It feels like there is more going on that I havent seen.

15. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

... actually, you know something?

Lisa was great at ignoring unpleasant reality when it came to Dinah being a kidnap victim and forcibly addicted to drugs by a true monster.

But now it matters? When the well-being of the whole Pantheon is at stake? She wants to force everyone who's ever been brought back to life to basically admit that they aren't really who their thoughts and memories tell them that they are? Can we say 'identity crisis'?

Madus, mdkcde, Finbar and 9 others like this.
  16. ribs

ribs Making the rounds.

Wasn't Lisa working a long game plan so she didn't end up in the same?

As for the timing if Lisa didn't just snap from the pressure, then she may have just lanced some issues that could have festered for a while.

Snake/Eater and Godwinson like this.
  17. evildice

Dinah was a stranger to Lisa. She cares less about strangers than friends. That's pretty normal among humans.

You care about Dinah because you have the perspective of a reader.

18. GiftofLove

I care about Dinah because it's fucked up. That's a pretty common sentiment among humans too. That said, what more could Lisa do? She was already trying to kill him. Double kill him?

doomlord9 likes this.
  19. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

When was the last time something unmistakably fix-y actually happened, that solved something from canon? (Not something you've introduced.) The most recent one I can think of was Saint's interludes, and that was nearly 150 chapters ago. Mind-jacking Moord Nag might count in the long run, but the surrounding context was darker than canon. I get that you're in uncharted territory, but it just doesn't feel like much of a fix fic anymore.

Maybe you could do another street-level arc again. Houston would be great for Purity POVs, or maybe Chicago if any of their canon Wards are still alive (I don't even remember).

20. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

one's
    sentence. Hold

TanaNari likes this.
  21. dasstan

dasstan :)

You'd think that, but going by the reactions of some of the other readers, it was super sweet.

Moving on... following Taylor's statements regarding who-she-is, I came to the realization that this is easily the most successful TINO fic I have ever read. And the only one that I know that has TINO acknowledge her TINO-ness.

Divabot likes this.
  22. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

The sad truth is it was Taylor that saved Lisa from herself in canon,she help her with the Fragile problem with Coil,helped to keep her alive and gave her a propose.now Taylor isn't going to a abandon her when it's clear she's truly in pain.

23. GiftofLove

"Avalon's Royal Family spans three glorious generations!"

"But it isn't even a year old!"

"Three glorious, but violently short, generations!"

24. Godwinson

Godwinson Making the rounds.

I really fail to see how this can be considered a fix-fic. Maybe if you're delusional or a sadist, sure.

25. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I don't know what that is. And Google isn't helping.

26. Trilonias

Trilonias I trust you know where the happy button is?

Taylor In Name Only.

dasstan, Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  27. jcogginsa

jcogginsa Versed in the lewd.

INO, In Name Only. Meaning using a character (The first letter being the same as the characters.) in a way that is wildly different from the source material. Usually used in a negative sense, it can be used to describe a well written work

Jiven, Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  28. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Ah. Yeah, pretty much. A year of character development, most of it while under a mind altering influence, will do that.

Taylor-from-canon died during the Butcher arc. Both metaphorically and literally, as you see her without the Taylia bond when it happens. And people wonder why Lisa's upset.

Alayne, doomlord9, jrbless and 3 others like this.
  29. evildice

So like, if I show you things that are fucked up, you'll expend effort on all of them?

Gosh I dunno, maybe give his brain to Bonesaw, forcing him to be a prisoner in his own body, who serves her loyally forever.

This story is built on the living bones and brain-tissue of fates worse than death.

But that's a tangent. The reality is that, in canon, Lisa was not sufficiently motivated to take action against Coil, until Taylor breached the subject. Lisa did not care about Dinah enough to move up her timetable; Taylor did.

Pathos and TanaNari like this.
  30. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Pretty sure that, in canon, she wasn't too happy about that either. She was happy to help Taylor rescue Dinah, but first they had to make sure they'd actually survive to do it. Hell, they even managed to convince the rest of the Undersiders to help.

Remember that 'caring' and 'doing something about it' are two different things. There's probably plenty of things you care about and don't do anything about, and I'm saying that without even knowing anything about you. It's what we're like as a species.

And Lisa did end up doing something about it, she just had to get into a position where she (1) could without being killed first and (2) could without being killed after.

Well...

They can do that now :p

GiftofLove, TanaNari and evildice like this.