1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"What if Sinestro had an...accident?"

Jesus Paul. Not that Sinestro doesn't deserve it, but still.

2. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

What we just came off of making Paul is the Mafia jokes

"Dogs get hit by cars all the time, occasionally a rabid one gets hit." /Sicilian accent

3. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

“Zatanna, is there something you want to share with the class?”

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

5. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

And consider that in addition to a methodology of causing fear, his non-lethality is based on a fear of not being able to stop.

6. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

What a casual way of offering to kill Sinestro just to bring the ring to Batman, like it's a brief chore or something like that. But honestly, not a bad idea at all. The Yellow Light is not contributing nothing to the universe right now, and although I do agree that Batman is not the "DPS guy", that would shore up his weakness in combat plus assist him in better managing the Justice League in general.

Seriously, Batman has always sounded better to me as the leader of an organization of like-minded or trained individuals that he manages and support; the idea of Batman Inc. sounded great but the execution not so much, the Bat-Family is great as a unit or individuals that support each other and I always come back to the Generations Elseworlds where he took over the Assassins.

WargWolf, Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and 7 others like this.
  7. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Why would he need to murder Sinestro for the Yellow Ring, when he has the inventor working for him and still ready to make yellow rings.

Cuchulin, Ngamer11, nobodez and 2 others like this.
  8. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Because Yellow rings have a high chance of attracting Sinestro's attention, and he might just take offense. I mean, he did name his yellow Lantern corps the Sinestro corps after all.

Also? He's kinda one of those people who needs to die.

To the story. Well this could be a hint to the fracturing of the relationship, OL turning Robin away from the way of the Bat.

9. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Is Sinestro evil yet? Frankly I don't remember when he decided to go full ham; I just sort of vaguely recall at some point he was the guy who thought the Guardians weren't being proactive enough, and then all of a sudden he was committing the kinds of atrocities he wanted the Guardians to intervene against.

Well it had to have a reason to happen at some point; Bruce and Barbara aren't likely to sleep together in this AU.

Cuchulin and Bramble Thorn like this.
  10. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

He is, for example, here's a bit talking about him from the Headhunting arc...

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

I think he's already been kicked over to the antimatter universe and has definitely had a yellow ring made. He's currently persona non grata on his homeworld, and his daughter doesn't want to be associated with him (and IIRC doesn't know the relation).

Whether all that equates to being evil may be a matter of debate.

12. Aeess

He also hunts down Green Lanterns and has a necklace made out of Green Lantern Rings he took as trophies.

13. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Or those are the rings of the green lanterns that tried to apprehend him and failed... Six rings is a very low number if he has been actively hunting green lanterns when we consider he can steamroll the average green lantern neophyte in seconds. Ragnar managed to collect three orange rings in a matter of weeks and his targets were A LOT rarer than Green lanterns.

WargWolf, Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and 6 others like this.
  14. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Sinestro: "Why didn't i get you instead of Jordan!!"

WargWolf, Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and 14 others like this.
  15. Aeess

Where do you get the number six from, all we know about the necklace is this.

16. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

It can also go horrible wrong, they would reinforce each other bad habits.

Batman is not exactly sane, multiply that by a thousand and...

17. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

All of a sudden an idea springs into my head.

Sinestro wears a necklace made of rings taken off the Lanterns he's killed, right? What if you booby-trapped a ring (maybe a faux-ring if it's not the Guardians running this), put it on some sacrificial pawn, and set him up to encounter Sinestro? Of course, you'd need a dolt who has absolutely no chance of figuring out what's up.

[​IMG]

(Not actually his origin, but would work surprisingly well as a version of his origin in some universe or another.)

18. Aeess

He managed to accidentally blow up a planet in his own sector with a normal lantern ring, giving him a booby trapped one doesent seem like a great idea.

Cuchulin, Istaran, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.
  19. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

I dunno, may be from the episode with Kalmin, may have been from one of those scans people often post when arguing, the point is that Siniestro could get way more rings than the ones used in the necklace if he actively hunted neophytes.

Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  20. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I thought it was because of the philosophy that he'd be no better than the criminals he was fighting if he killed them.

Depending upon your definition of "evil" he always was. He just hid it well before he rebelled against the Guardians. I mean you're talking about a guy who would execute children for stealing candy bars and honestly believe it was the right thing to do for crying out loud.

Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

I don't remember that. The example I remember from the comics is a custodial sentence for littering.

WargWolf, Cuchulin, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  22. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I bow to your greater knowledge on the subject. I could well be mistaken.

Cuchulin, Bramble Thorn and Navi-Hank like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

No, my mistake. In Emerald Dawn II he steps on some litter and looks like he's about to go mental, but the Guardians teleport him to Oa before he can.

WargWolf, Cuchulin, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

When Red Hood confronted Batman for not killing the Joker in retaliation for killing him, Batman's response was that he wouldn't stop at Joker.

Backed up by Earth-51, where in fact Batman did kill the Joker for killing Jason, and then murdered every other supervillain for dessert.

Sinestro's origin is similar to Hal Jordan's.

A wounded Green Lantern landed on his planet, and gave Sinestro his ring to deal with the threat.

Sinestro then dealt with the threat.

The injured Green Lantern then asked for the ring back, because it wasn't too late to for him to survive.

Sinestro refused because he wanted to keep the ring, so the Green Lantern died.

25. Mr Zoat

And as a result there was no longer any supercrime, saving thousands of lives every year. Jason Todd 1 really liked that Batman.

True Ninja, WargWolf, Vorian and 13 others like this.
  26. Threadmarks: Guys from Gotham (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

16th February
    22:23 GMT -5

"Excuse me, I'm looking for a Smilex dealer. Do you know where I might find one?"

The large black man with the dreadlock ponytail I'm talking to clearly doesn't quite know how to take that.

"Ain't no Smilex dealers 'round here, man."

"No? You're certain?"

"Yeah, that shit just kills you." His friend, a slender white man with a camo-pattern jacket, looks extremely sombre. "Hey Chuck, you remember what happened to Ernesto?"

"Ah yeah." 'Chuck' nods. "'bout, ah..? Three years ago? Dude picked up some stuff, thought it was acid…" He shudders theatrically. "Poor bastard laughed so much he suffocated. I mean, I only really saw him when they stuck him in the ambulance, but his face was all…"

He makes a broad and obviously false grin, drawing false curves on his cheeks with his index fingers. What does it say about Gotham that he had to be reminded of that?

"Glad to hear it. But do you know of anyone who might lack your good sense?"

"You should try China Town. Ghost Dragons be into all kinds of crazy shit."

"Yeah." The white man nods. "Or… I dunno… The Burnley Town Massive run drugs, right?"

Chuck frowns. "They wouldn't do Smilex. No one would touch their stuff again if they did that."

"I'll try China Town, then. Thank you for your assistance." I rise slowly into the-. "Oh." I stop. "One more thing. You haven't seen any fairies, have you?"

They look at each other.

"'Fairies'?" Not-Chuck shakes his head. "Nah, man. Clean livin' all the way."

"No, not in the sense of drug-induced hallucinations. We're due for an invasion of time-travelling fairies from the far future and I'm trying to keep an eye out."

"Ah… Ooooh… Kay?" Chuck shakes his head. "I ain't seen no fairies?"

"Alright. Keep an eye out, would you?"

"Sure. Yeah, we can do that."

I nod. "Oh. And I realise that lock picks, crowbars and pistols aren't illegal, but I'm going to be flying back this way tomorrow, and I'm not going to hear anything about anywhere being broken into, am I?"

Not-Chuck doesn't conceal his wince quite as well as his partner in pre-crime.

"There's a good fellow."

The universe flickers in the way I've become somewhat jaded to, and then I'm in China Town. A product of the largess of one Mr Lee Walter Travis, this place became the home for a large influx of Chinese refugees during the conflicts which preceded the Second World War. And afterwards, when the Nationalists and the Communists had it out. The Ghost Dragons make their home in a low-rent industrial estate which officially houses purely their legitimate businesses. I think I'll walk there to make the point-.

"Orange Lantern?"

An elderly oriental man.. with three missing fingers, is looking up at me.

"Yes? Something I can do for you?"

"I am wondering… Do you know the original Green Lantern?"

"The original Green Lanterns died millions of years ago, but if you mean the fellow from the thirties then yes. He was my first point of contact with superheroes and I still use his personal lantern."

"He is still alive?"

"Last time I checked."

"That is wonderful news!"

I smile. I really need to talk to Alan about coming back here. See what effect a superhero who isn't dour and menacing has on the place.

"I'll tell him that you said that. I'm sure that he'll be pleased-."

"Nineteen forty one! He rescued me from an apartment fire! And then he caught the criminals who set it!"

"He was very good at his job. Listen, you haven’t heard anything about someone distributing Smilex, have you?"

"The Joker has escaped again?"

"No. But any sufficiently skilled chemist can replicate the general formula, and some very naughty person was making some on their own recognisance. I don't suppose that you've heard anything about that sort of thing?"

"At my age, those are not the sort of drugs I take." I smile and nod. "But we have many gangs here. Not all are criminals, but… Desperate people do not make good decisions."

I shrug. "I just want to find whoever ordered it made. If some people went looking for a payday and ended up over their heads… The economy is a heartless beast. I can look the other way as long as they tell me what I need to stop it."

He nods. "Perhaps someone I know will have heard something. I will see if someone will confide in an old uncle something they would not wish to tell a superhero."

"I would appreciate that, thank you. But don't put yourself in any danger on my account; this is my job. You're an elderly civilian."

"I doubt that I will forget that." He raises his left hand to wave. "Good evening, Orange Lantern."

"Good evening." Ugh, maybe I won't walk, then. Fingers to my forehead…

I appear amidst revving motorcycles, ridden by five tattooed gang members carrying pipes, swords and semiautomatics. One points and fires it at a nearby building-.

An orange shield blocks the shots, then I reach out and pluck every gang member off their bikes. Said bikes then carry on without them for a short distance before falling on their sides and skidding along the road to a stop. Interestingly, none of the gang members try struggling. I'm not sure if it's shock or if they realise that they're ridiculously outclassed, but they're all content to just hang there.

Ring, contact the police.

Compliance.

"Now, I can't technically arrest you-." I generate another shield as a volley of automatic rifle fire from inside the building hones in on one of my prisoners. "Arrest you, but I'm afraid that I'm going to be holding you until the police arrive." I turn my attention to the building. "While I understand that you're irritated about being shot at, I assure you that the situation is under control."

A few heads… Ah, those are Ghost Dragon tattoos, stick themselves up. They don't look especially happy to see me, but at least they're not shooting.

"By any chance, have any of you heard anything about someone selling Smilex?"

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  27. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*cheeks

Mr Zoat likes this.
  28. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

All the subtlety and grace of a bull in a china shop. I love it!

29. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Except he doesn't break any china.

nobodez, Wheenesss, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, OL. Still befuddling people through politeness...

No doubt it wasn't pretty.

Eh, not the worst thing to have forgotten.

I love how they seem to have forgotten they're talking to a superhero.

...No that kind of fairy.

Admittedly, it might have helped to specify 'S&M murder fairies'... I doubt either man is thinking of anything more objectionable than Tinkerbelle.

Ah, the good old 'Don't make me come back here...'

Wow, it wasn't even five seconds. Is it his lucky day or something?

Certainly, that's public knowledge. But to just say it so casually...

Gotham could definitely use some Hope about the place.

Now that's a long memory. Must have been one hell of a day.

And now the mood's brought down...

What an odd turn. This is shaping up into a weird questline.

Do not be incautious around old, smiling oriental men...

...Seriously, you chat with one old man and call it a day? That would be Fortean levels of coincidence if it pays off.

Ah, my comment about low-level mobs proves accurate.

"Let's not do anything you might regret later, now..."

Heh, straight to the source...

Ah, Gotham. The only place in the world this weird. No doubt the old chinese guy will be linked to damn near everything in China Town...

WargWolf, Vorian, Ngamer11 and 18 others like this.