1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Random question, but what would happen if Renegade (or someone else) Awakened Billy Batson? (I don't remember if Renegade Awakened Teth Adom in his human form, but I believe he offered). Being regularly exposed to high-level magic in the form of the Shazam lightning bolt should have significant effects in terms of his hypothetical development as a New God.

WargWolf, Cuchulin, Navi-Hank and 2 others like this.
  2. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

My guess is that he wouldn't actually be able to stay transformed, since the new god magic resistance doesn't differentiate between buffs and debuffs, its probably like Grayven, who when using the Garrick formular for example looses the powers after a few seconds.

WargWolf, Cuchulin, DrThoth and 3 others like this.
  3. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Plus, if you have exotic reconstruction there's a decent chance that you could just make another leg wholesale, anyway.

Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  4. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

And, knowing Gotham, would call herself Professor Magic-Leg, doom to all who behold Her! Fear her deadly Kicks and despair, ye mortal fools!

At which point Batman would punch her in the face. Truly is this not a wonderful city?

WargWolf, Simonbob, Vorian and 10 others like this.
  5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He's in Gotham, a city with an actual tangible "Aura of Evil" with "absorb ambient energy" tattoo's on his body.

Simonbob, DAT_NOOB, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  6. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Remember when the villian just tried to name himself Doctor Gotham, and the SI was all, "Not without a degree from an accredited institution of learning?" Because that goes both ways. Dismembered body parts going with the victim is should be actual protocol for the emergency response services and honestly, OL or Dr Balewa making the call themselves and deciding not to send along the amputated limb sounds like a good case for 'practicing medicine without a license' if any of the doctors or prosecutors who review this case see a problem with this case, unless they have a current medical license valid in Gotham. OL is especially vulnerable to looking malicious and vindictive as the person who shot off her leg, almost as if he is trying to intentionally make sure she is crippled by denying access to medical treatment.

Let me be very plain here, allowances can be (and are) routinely made for the actions needed to take a suspect into custody. Once a suspect is in custody however, things are different. OL is edging into human rights abuses here. And like most people who end up being called to account for such things, aren't owning up to how fucked up their behavior is even when they are called out on it point blank.

Yeah, those terrorists in Guantanamo were bad people. Taking selfies of their genitals as a souvenir is still a really fucked up thing to do that doesn't speak well of the character of the guards who did it.

Yeah, that sorceress was a bad person. Saying you are confiscating the leg you yourself shot off as evidence because she 'used it in the commission of a crime' instead of sending it along with her to the hospital is also a really fucked up thing to do that doesn't speak well of the character of the arresting superhero who did it.

I hope this is an intentional characterisation of the character, and not just something that is happening because the author has some really nonstandard opinions about what is and isn't the standard and accepted ethical behavior in the situation.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  7. Buggy123

Those don't work like that.

OL explicitly stated that, even while in Hell, the evilest of evil places with the evilest of Auras of Evil, the effect was only noticeable because Satanus had pulled some shenanigans.

Wild Transient likes this.
  8. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

I think it was a joke

Sceptic likes this.
  9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

You are apparently unfamiliar with munchkining of psions.

You go nova by using powers to get more actions.

Schism to have a second mind with its own actions that can also spend manifester level in points. Fission to make a second body with its own actions that can manifest powers spending up to manifester level in points.

Synchronicity to get an extra standard action which you can use to spend manifester level in points on a power.

Linked power to set off a power to go off next turn which you can spend up to manifester level in points on.

A psion spending points to manifest the equivalent of a ninth level spell is not going nova, that's business as usual. Going nova is a psion throwing 4+ powers of their highest capacity at the same time.

New God Awakening works off of what is already there. Hence speedsters getting faster, the dannered getting stronger, etc. I figure the Captain Marvel transformation would therefore be considered a preexisting aspect to strengthen.

I might be wrong though, just a guess on my part.

The way I read the situation, and perhaps Zoat was intending your interpretation, was that Gotham had his cloak which he tapped to resist the suppression effects of the chains.

Which he then used to open a portal to go all Gilgamesh on Quinn and Paul to get rid of the threat and planning to then deal with the chain.

If he had instead focused on the chain, he could have tapped his artifacts and broken the chain.

That would have of course melted the chain, which would not have been good for him, but he wouldn't have known that, of course.

10. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Ugh. It seems like Selina should get an achievement token and lots of back rubs.

Simonbob and Wild Transient like this.
  11. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Ain't you a barrel of laughs.

True Ninja, Bramble Thorn and Ardy like this.
  12. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It should be noted that putting all of your eggs in one basket OUGHT to result in overwhelming effects. You wouldn't do it if it didn't. Said psion doesn't have the capacity to do that twice (at least, not twice in one day), and if circumstances are ever so dire to actually warrant such action then it had better solve the problem. It's not an efficient use of power points. It's a desperation move.

I mean, in 3.0 (this was nerfed in 3.5), a sorcerer/incantatrix with the right feat loadout could do this:
    Turn 1:
    - Swift action: Quickened Haste
    - Haste action: Time Stop
    - Standard action: Maximized Delayed Blast Fireball (5 turns delay)
    Turn 2:
    - Standard action: Maximized Delayed Blast Fireball (4 turns delay)
    - Haste action: Maximized Delayed Blast Fireball (4 turns delay)
    Turn 3:
    - Standard action: Maximized Delayed Blast Fireball (3 turns delay)
    - Haste action: Maximized Delayed Blast Fireball (3 turns delay)
    Turn 4:
    - Standard action: Maximized Delayed Blast Fireball (2 turns delay)
    - Haste action: Maximized Delayed Blast Fireball (2 turns delay)
    Turn 5:
    - Standard action: Empowered Delayed Blast Fireball (1 turn delay)
    - Haste action: Empowered Delayed Blast Fireball (1 turn delay)
    Turn 6:
    - Standard action: Empowered Delayed Blast Fireball (delay to end of turn)
    - Haste action: Empowered Delayed Blast Fireball (delay to end of turn)
    - Swift action: Quickened Dimension Door (GTFO)
    - Time stop expires. 120d6+840 (average 1260) fire damage worth of Delayed Blast Fireballs simultaneously detonate. Reflex save (DC 32) up to 11 times for down to half damage. Fortitude save (DC 15) between 7 and 11 times (depending on how the damage dice rolled and if you made the last four reflex saves) or die instantly. If target resists fire, use the Energy Substitution feat to make it all sonic damage instead.

Yes, there ARE 10th-level spells in there. Incantatrices can do that. Yes, the sorcerer is out of 9th level spells after this, and mostly out of 8th level spells. And importantly: yes, there are better things the sorcerer could do with those spell slots if she doesn't have to deal this much damage in a single round.

No, no, what I'm actually afraid of is the ranger that was in my party in a campaign I played back in college. I don't know what the heck kind of ability he found in an official splatbook that let him use Perform (Dance) checks to allow a single attack roll to apply to all melee attacks he made that turn, but he was dual-wielding +5 keen shocking burst scimitars. That meant on a roll of 15 or better, he could unload up to eight 3d6+1d10+24 attacks per round and never worry about running out of resources.

13. Valiran

Valiran Seeker of fluffiness

SHIT

14. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

So what you're saying is, her case doesn't have a leg to stand on.

15. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Yes, she failed to toe the line, and now there's trouble afoot. She should have bent the knee when she had the chance.

16. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

hey, if she doesnt get executed, she could get a job at a IHOP!
    ...she'd make a mint in tips

17. Old Knife

Does anyone think Dr. balewa has found a new friend?

18. Old Knife

Does anyone think Dr. balewa has found a new friend?

19. dogbertcarroll

dogbertcarroll Random lurker

Catwoman knows she is getting older and slower even as her skill increases, so she may ask for a tuneup or something along those lines.

Vorian, Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.
  20. Ardy

God no, Paul freaks him right the fuck out

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And it's canon that Gotham is where Hell goes to look for ideas.

Wild Transient likes this.
  22. Ardy

While your comment is dumb I do like the idea of that Hades priestess who freaked out when she felt Hell coming to Gotham and just giving up on life and going full Darkseid.

Vorian, Gantradies, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  23. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

The worst thing is that OL had to push for two out of those three, and one of them spent most of a year enslaved by a magic helmet that OL had to save him from. Yeah, the Justice League really, really doesn't spend enough time addressing its lack of depth in mystic knowledge.

She's probably met Paula a time or two at this point, so it's likely she'd think of this too.

24. Buggy123

A: Citation, please.

B: Even if true, if Gotham had anywhere near the metaphysical oomph that the literal dimension of evil had, anyone with the slightest magical awareness would notice. You don't just have a Aura of Evil that strong and not have it show up on even the simplest magic-detecting spells.

25. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

[Technically Correct]
    No it does have a leg to stand on. Exactly one leg to stand on. Not having a leg to stand on would have required a double lower amputation, not just single.
    [/Technically Correct]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  26. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

No, because she's missing a leg, she's less one leg to stand on. So she doesn't have the leg she would otherwise have, and thus, doesn't have a leg to stand on. /semantics

27. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Rereading some early episodes and found a broken link.

Bramble Thorn and Mr Zoat like this.
  28. Brian_Fiction

Brian_Fiction Terribly Lost

Not sure why people are surprised at Paragon's behavior? We've long since established that he doesn't quite think like the rest of us anymore, those orange quotation marks aren't just for show. This isn't exactly the first time he has acted in an inhumane way, and it certainly won't be the last.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Are we not getting apart 12 today because of the delay?

Ardy likes this.
  30. Ej190

Ej190 Making the rounds.

Ha, unlikely.
    Zoar prides himself on his daily updates. The previous update is for yesterday..

Ngamer11, Cuchulin and Buggy123 like this.