1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

repeated 'just gave me'?

should be 'one' not 'on'?

I do like the mookbots - it'd be fun having one in a court of law claiming they were a true independent intelligence...

Buggy123, Navi-Hank, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the Mirror World. One of the DC Universe's weirder aspects. Not even writers can keep how it owrks straight.

Hmm, how did it come into his hands? To Google! ...Well, that was interesting. I'll not mention who, but it's crazy.
    Correction: 'just gave me' - doubled up there.

Yes, fatally. Joy of hiring a paid assassin and then not paying him enough.

Ha! Not even Maltusian super-tech can identify its mechanics?

Ah, lovely special effects. Only in the DC Universe...

I'm sure even your father would be a little vexed by it. Especially if he couldn't give it his full attention.

Judging by appearances, is he? He should know better.

Great minds think alike?

I Don't doubt it. But, Mirror Master is a known quantity.

Heh, professional pride versus bloody-mindedness. How amusing.

Environmental artefacts that the League will know to deal with, as Mquz noted.

Ah, Teenage girl hormones. No rhyme or reason to their madness.

So, typical supervillian lair.
    Correction: 'into one of'

I would hope so. Some of the League aren't quite that committed to their heroic duties...

And no doubt at least one will become fully sapient by the end of the event. Narrative Causality demands it.

This is very important, given the laws he's pushed through.

Did she program them with classic Gangster mannerisms?

Also less messy if any get damaged. Win-win.

So not quite human-level functionality, I take it. Like an advanced VI.

Ah, she went with Gangsta-wannabe. Much more annoying.

Interesting. I'm sure we'll find out what they are soon enough.

How embarrassing. Typical sibling feuding.:p

And the next chapter cuts away. I suppose we'll have to wait to see the big surprise.

Loving the interplay of heist members. If we don't see at least some of the exercise, I will be so disappointed...

3. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I still ship Georgia with Dox.

4. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Don't forget the poor mirror beasts who are native to the mirror world. They charge you and try to tear you apart. And if you attack back and hit one it shatters and reforms as two more of them.
    Of course, their time is reversed, and so from their perspective they're trying to resurrect you by putting your body back together, and your gratitude upon being resurrected is to murder them as they flee.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Then of course there is always the Nazi Rocket Scientists who "somehow" magically became American Rocket Scientists. I mean Sivana Sr. would probably never be hired, but his children might....... Then again, a couple of those Nazi Scientists were probably more evil than him.........

7. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Legality and morality sacrificed on the altar of security? I'm shocked!

8. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Isn't Sam Scudder still around? I think I remember him sending "mirror-balls" on a cake to Mr. Snart as a prank.

9. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

you know speaking of the Rogues I'm kinda surprised Paul hasn't had a word with Weather wizard.

"Viable weather control tech could rake in billions, why bother robbing banks?"

Because I like robbing banks.

10. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Georgia's been trying to get into the harem since her first appearance. Paul just hasn't been interested.

11. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I thought she wanted to turn him into a squirrel?

12. Mr Zoat

Weather Wizard II doesn't actually know how the wand works. He murdered his brother -the heroic Weather Wizard I who actually developed the thing- for it.

13. dogbertcarroll

dogbertcarroll Random lurker

Georgia is still my favorite.

Ardy likes this.
  14. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

That's interesting. Is that canon for YJ? As far as I can tell, the comics version of Clyde Mardon was a scientist who was never a superhero (unless it was in an issue that I haven't been able to find any information on).

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The Superman Animated series had the brother based story. It's the one where they have supes and flash race around the world, only they don't know that their trackers also power the weather machine based off their movement.

This Version

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

These are not mutually exclusive

17. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Because he might be the only guy who Sivana might actually be impressed by?

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Mostly because he's someone who can keep up with her intellectually and doesn't care if she's not as pretty as her sister.

Ngamer11, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Threadmarks: Bended (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

2nd March
    08:56 GMT -5

"…saying that if you want a patsie, I'm really easy to bribe."

He winks with a disturbingly distended right eye.

"Mister O'Brian, I'm divorced f-."

"I'm not that desperate for a leg up!" He taps an elongated right forefinger against his forehead. "Or am I?"

He shifts shape, expanding and contracting until he resembles a ridiculously buxom woman… But still with his original face.

"If you made the effort to change colour-." He raises his eyebrows. "It would still be a 'no', but I'd be a little more impressed."

"If you're not looking for a rebound, why'd you mention the divorce?" He thrusts his disturbingly rubbery breasts in my direction. "Huh?"

"I'm divorced from managing the scenario. I have no direct input. I know roughly what's going to happen, but not exactly what's going to happen. And -please- try to take this seriously."

"Yeah yeah, I'm just getting it all out of my system now where Bats can't glare at me. You ready to go?"

"I-."

Wallace appears in a blur of yellow.

"Hey, Oh El."

"Kid Flash. What brings you here?"

"Can I spectate? On the Watchtower, if that's where you're doing this?"

"Um." I look at Mr O'Brian, who wobbles back into his usual shape and shrugs his shoulders. "I don't have a problem with it? Though you understand that doing so removes you from play."

"You were planning for us to join in?"

"If the 'villain' side can identify a Justice League member, they can launch attacks on their family as a distraction or for revenge. That includes you."

"Were you planning on telling me..?"

"I got consent from all of the civilians. Ms Lane was actually quite interested to see what this exercise involves." Grudgingly. "But 'Kid Flash' knows that supervillains could target him, and he's trained to fight them off."

"Yeah, but this is you."

"I've tried to keep my privileged knowledge out of it. The villain side only have access to publically available knowledge unless they can find out more." I glance at the zeta tube. "Look, you might as well come along for the full briefing that I'm going to be giving the League. Batman can just throw you off if he doesn't want you there."

"Okay." He smiles confidently. "Let's do this!"

I nod, Mr O'Brian leading the way through-

2nd March
    13:58 GMT

"Recognized, Plastic Man, two three, Kid Flash, B zero three, Orange Lantern, B zero six."

-the zeta tube and into the Watchtower and someone's been paying attention! The exit point is no longer in the meeting room, but in its own fortified chamber with… Yes, martian technology testing the mental state of the entrant.

I look in the direction of the camera, and clap.

"Huh." Wallace looks around. "This is new."

"This is overdue."

Resuming his natural form, Mr O'Brian strolls over to the exit and smiles at the sensor.

"Bats wanted this here when you showed up. Took him a while to get it all designed and installed."

"And my birthday isn't for another seven months."

I feel the slight automatic pressure in my mind as the martian biotechnology tries to make sense of my thought processes. Is it calibrated for me? I'm a little unique, but, okay. I relax my shields.

"Kinda annoying for me, 'cause it can't read my mind at all. But-."

"Identities confirmed."

The heavy blast door slides open, granting us access into the main chamber. Which… Isn't unreasonable. There's only so much internal space here, after all. And the main defence of the League is the members of the League, not any automated systems.

Wallace and I follow Mr O'Brian out. The rest of the League is already here, and Ms Thal gives me a glare as I approach the open end of the table's U.

Mr O'Brian finds his seat as Batman inclines his head very slightly towards me. "Orange Lantern. Please explain today's event to the League."

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for taking part. Today -somewhere on Earth- a series of crimes will be happening. These will snowball until the training event's villain achieves their objective. Your aim is to stop the villain. You may do so in whatever way you think best, but you will probably be gathering evidence from crime scenes and following up the leads you generate from them."

"Funny as.. last time was, none of you are patsies. However, the villain may attempt to subvert any of you during the event. Sometimes this will involve them using information or threats to blackmail you. If that happens and you don't accede to their demands, I'll mention the likely result in the summation at the end of the event. If they successfully mind control you… Then I'm going to ask you to play along because we're not using actual mind control technology."

"Once we start the event, not only will the villain start their attacks, they will also start gathering information on you just as you gather information on them. Again, I'll feed back on the consequences of that at the end, but you may find yourself being informed during the event that a particular person has been killed or a place has been destroyed. If someone actually dies we'll obviously call this.. whole thing off. Any deaths reported in that way are virtual, but please try to avoid interacting with a dead person without the aid of a necromancer."

A couple of quiet chuckles, but they're all very much motivated to beat me. They're focusing.

Good show.

"To keep you informed of events which are happening virtually, you will each be issued with one of these." A series of filaments flick out and deposit a bracer in front of each of them. "These will also feed back to me about where you are and what you're doing."

Guy nods. "So we don't wear them, got it."

"No. As I was explaining to Plastic Man, I'm not going to be an active participant in the event. Ah, unless something goes very badly wrong, then me stepping in will be a sign that it's over. I'll also be on monitor duty just in case something real happens which requires the full attention of the Justice League, in which case I'll either deal with it myself or call the whole thing off. I'm also off the target list, so the villain won't try to retaliate against me."

I focus on Batman.

"You can check it out if you want, but it's part of the mechanism by which this scenario works, so it's not intended to be a variable itself."

He nods, and removes his left glove to put it around his left forearm.

"Ah, Plastic Man, Martian Manhunter, consider yourself free to take yours off while shapeshifting, but.. try and keep it close by if you can. If they get destroyed, I can issue you with a replacement pretty much immediately. Any questions?"

"Yeah." John Stewart frowns as he straps his bracer on. "Who are we up against?"

"You don't know. But I suggest trying to find out at the earliest opportunity." I pull a Bleed fracture pulse transceiver out of subspace and activate it, signalling to the 'boss' that we're about to start.

"Three, two-"

Batman's already out of his chair, calling up crime reports and sightings of me for the last week.

"-one, go."

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  20. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Missing a second quotation mark.

EDIT: Also that should be a 'bleed fracture pulse transceiver'- if it's a receiver, it wouldn't be able to broadcast, only receive.

EDIT2: I guess it could just be a transmitter.

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And of course 'Eel' O'Brian is trying to cheat already. :D

And now I'm picturing Jessica Rabbit with Plastic Man's face and goggles. <urhg>

Dude, stop...

Well, we do know how intimidating the Bat-Glare can be...

Oh, boy, the peanut gallery is here. :p I suppose it's so OL can explain things to someone. Every good mastermind needs an Igor.

Heh, he even factored in the Team's likely involvement. Planning!

It's part of the job, Kid. You wear the mask, you wear the dangers.

Oh, how telling that is.

I doubt Batman will feel it necessary. Means KF is less likely to blunder in and mess something up...

About damn time, Leaguers!

Heh, well, the Team generally doesn't visit the Watchtower all that often, does it?
    Correction: Missing Full Stop.

I'll bet it did. Especially the Martian stuff.

Probably easier than setting off the alarms.

True. Imagine busting through the door into a full meeting of the League. Like that one JSA/JLA Thanksgiving dinner where two magic-users busted in only to realise 'Oh dear, there's rather a lot of them...'

And the game begins. Prepare the Popcorn and Malteasers!

And I find it hilarious he had to point that out.

Good to see them all business. No fooling around here.

He'd hardly pull something like that, Guy. This time anyway.

Love his confidence about taking over for the League.

Trust, but Verify. Classic Batman.

Now, now, do you skip to the ending of the murder mystery novels?

And of course Batman goes straight for the cheat codes.

Oh, this will be fun. In so many meanings of the word. Hopefully the League doesn't fail the exercise too badly.

22. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Someone is going HAM on this.

I like it.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Let the games begin!

WH00hoO!! Free day for the League!

25. dogbertcarroll

dogbertcarroll Random lurker

The thing to remember is that despite Plas' playfulness, Batman has said he is a formidable investigator. People always underestimate him.

26. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Because of course he immediately plays to the meta. Frankly I'm surprised that he hasn't been following OL sightings all week.

27. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

And the scenario hasn't even started yet, but Bruce is already metagaming. Classy.

(Edit): Heh, looks like a few other people had the same thoughts as me. :)

28. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

What make you think he hasn't?

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Nice.

Bets on what will go horribly wrong while everyone still believes it's part of the game?

30. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

OL covered that in this chapter; if something goes badly wrong he'll either call the exercise off or handle it himself (presumably while using the bracers to inform the League of this fact).

Gilhelmi likes this.