1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

I am now imagining Lex Luther with a button in a glass box labelled “Break glass in event of alien invasion,” connected to a bunch of genomorph growth tubes containing Danner-enhanced human clones grown to adulthood and kept in stasis until the button is pressed.

2. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

But at the last second he would just use it to try and kill Superman instead.

Because that's Lex.

3. Threadmarks: Jungle Gym (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

18th March
    14:58 GMT -3

Dr Munro looks around the logging camp.

"I… Never saw this.. part of the records."

"This part? I thought that you researched your father's activity thoroughly."

"Up to his arrest, yes. After that…"

I nod sympathetically. "Blue Lantern showed me the pictures of Sons of Dawn, and their autopsy reports. I suppose that you wouldn't have learned that much about him or the formula by reading about the clean up."

"No. I should, though. I might have learned more about how to avoid his mistakes."

I smile. "Why, are you planning on taking over a country-?"

He snaps his head in my direction. "God, no."

"Sorry, I was just trying to-."

"No, no, you meant it as a joke. I… My father… They revered him, you know? And he'd have known them from… Before they were born. Every couple he gave the formula to, he was the only man in the villages who knew anything about modern medicine. And…" He sighs. "You know how much they all looked up to him."

I nod.

"I hadn't realised that you would take it quite this much to heart."

He shrugs. "I guess I see too much of myself in him not to. What do you think he should have done differently?"

"Depends what his objective was. Going back to America and setting up there would have avoided the fatal flaw he encountered. And if he went back to visit your mother then he clearly had the ability to go back. But I suppose that would have risked the American government acquiring the Formula."

"Would that have been so bad?"

"Not sure-. No, it would have been. The first generation would have reached adulthood at the same time you did, in the fifties. If America had gotten mass recruitable Danner enhanciles during the Cold War, they'd have made as many as they could and… They couldn't have reliably hidden it. They'd have arm-twisted as many of those people into the military as possible. I… Think that would have caused a nuclear war."

And given the nuclear weapons in use at the time…

Danner enhanciles would be able to survive near misses, and the likelihood of a nuclear winter gets overstated, but long-range bombers would still destroy cities. And the longer they waited, the more devastating it would get. On.. the other hand, given the distances involved, a platoon of Danner enhanciles that kept moving and spread out could have destroyed most of the Soviet Union's manufacturing capacity, given supplies and enough time. The only real counterstrategy would be mining their own factories.

Europe would be doomed, but I think the US would win without being crippled itself. Which… Means that there was a good chance that they would go for it.

Up until the Russians got the Garrick Formula, then everyone would be doomed. Though… In that situation, would Mr Garrick have kept it to himself?

"I think so too. Did you know they had the theory for nuclear weapons in the Great War?"

"Yes, though I don't know if Hugo would have known that. And no one could have predicted exactly how they affected the strategic situation."

"He-." He takes a moment. "No, I suppose he couldn't. But he wasn't exactly Ben Salmon. He saw the whole of the Great War, and rather than turn his back on fighting he decided another war was the way to go." Dr Munro shakes his head. "I.. think the only reason he didn't start up in America was because his abilities hadn't ever been well-received there."

"And he probably wasn't all that fond of Germany, so they're out. What would be the ideal? Somewhere with access to medicine, but where he could still dominate the local people."

"Domin-? He didn't take over the tribes."

"No, but he'd have to be sure that his enhanciles would follow his lead. Otherwise they'd just default to being loyal to their own government and.. probably cause a war. Social isolation would help with that, otherwise… He'd have to have an in with a new government, somewhere that would willingly offer him virtual autonomy. I… Think that a colony in Africa might have been best, but... It would really depend on exactly what he wanted."

"I always thought it was 'more people like him'."

"That's what it looked like, but… Okay, he takes over Brazil, and… Restores democracy-."

"No, he'd have to deal with.. a lot of things first."

"Okay, so he runs things as fairly as he can, breaks up opposing power blocks semi-legally, gets elected and starts dishing out the Formula to everyone. Every nation that can immediately grabs it and gives it to everyone they can. Nothing much happens for a decade or two, then… Every country that's been able to go into mass production steamrollers every country that can't. Germany… The far right probably has an edge, but there's a good chance that the country just tears itself apart. The British Empire flat out annexes China and… Splits the Middle East with France as a better alternative to going to war against them. Only now there's no way for a local resistance movement to fight their supersoldiers. I.. don't.. think Britain would go to war against the Soviet Union just because they really hate Communism and knew that their supersoldier strength advantage wouldn't last, but I can't rule it out."

"Brazil's a nicer place to live with a good man running it and their neighbours get enough enhanciles of their own that they don't start wars of conquest after Hugo leaves office. Hugo himself would be revered as the man who saved Brazilian democracy and could do whatever he wanted with his time. Since he's not aging and plenty of women would be as strong as him… Have a family? Act as a political advisor to his successors?"

"You..? Think it would always lead to war? Across the world?"

"People leverage their advantages. Particularly if they know that their rivals are trying to catch up with them. The Soviet Union would struggle to go into Danner formula production as quickly as the other world powers but could easily overrun Europe when they did. Britain wouldn't want to risk sharing it with their new Chinese subjects so they'd have to go early."

I shrug.

"Chemical industries become a key strategic resource while projectile weapons are increasingly sidelined. Any poison that can kill Danner enhanciles goes into mass production, and the remaining empires are very careful about which of their citizens and subjects are loyal enough to be trusted with it. I don't imagine that superheroes remain independent, because there are too many people with powers for them to seem 'special'. And some of them flat out couldn't compete with Danner enhanciles."

Dr Munro bows his head. "Maybe it's just as well he lost."

"Impossible to say. So, the nearest people we could talk to-."

"Squire to Orange Lantern."

I raise my ring to my head.

"Orange Lantern here. Doctor Munro has agreed to assist us."

"Dawn Warrior has as well. As long as we agree to keep things confidential."

"'Don't tell the Brazilians' confidential or 'don't tell Batman' confidential?"

Not that I mind either way, I just need to know in advance.

"Don't tell the Brazilians."

"Then that's fine. One moment." I look over to where Tempest is sitting cross-legged on the ground, his eyes closed and his tattoos glowing. "Tempest, any luck?"

He opens his eyes and shakes his head.

"Okay, stay where you are. We'll come to you."

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  4. yingyang590

yingyang590 Getting out there.

Wasn't that just the plot of Uber?

5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Kind of ruined the image you had of him, huh?

Honestly, given the DCU, not an unreasonable concern...

Basically a local deity. That can give a person quite the complex...

Now that's a loaded question. OL would do a hell of a lot of things differently.

Fifties America? Early years of the Cold War? Oh, all hell would break loose.

Burnt cinder time. Sure, the Danner Enhanciles would be resistant but they'd still suffer from fallout.

And even that would only slow them down. Skin tough enough to resist artillery shells, and all that.

Superspeedsters vs powerhouses. No winners there.

Better to start somewhere that has less stigma against superhuman abilities...

That would not have taken much, so he probably didn't think about it. Or he wanted to keep his forces manageable by himself.

Then again, he probably wasn't comfortable with Africa, perhaps?

Again, look at the history of Brazilian politics. Holy shit.

And in his own little corner, Hugo sits there with head in hands in despair.

Human nature. It's that simple. Tribe before outsiders.

A world of superhumans descends into violence and flames. Typical really.

Ah, the others checking in, eh?

Well, at least they'll hopefully have the responsible party outnumbered...

Heh. Starting to see why Batman would start to not like him...

Whoever's responsible, they must be good at concealment...

Lots of musing about Hugo's motives. Unfortunately, there's no way to ask the man himself, short of a seance...

6. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Are you sure that's Lex? Because I'm having a hard time imagining him waiting until the last second.

7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Damn, what a depressing yet probably accurate analysis.

There is also the interesting question of technological development. If near everyone had access to such superpowers, the need for much technology would disappear.

Take the Garrick formula: would we develop computers, at least as they are now, when someone can do a billion calculations each second anyway with pen and paper?

8. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

the reason i consider it a legitimate concern, is..well.....

On Earth-prime, they were quite active in murdering "undesirables" outside their own territory to the point of weakening their own war industry/fighting capability- they wasted materials/time/resources setting up .... and i feel dirty even SAYING the word, Extermination camps in occupied territory, that they kept operating right up until the opposition was close to overrunning them....

A rational government running under a rational policy/ideology WOULDN'T, but a world/europe-spanning Nazi government, who's already murdered a good chunk of the planet's population in cold blood,enslaved, literally or by way of brainwashing,the rest, getting word that there are alternate/near-parallels where their counterparts failed- and the "threats" they "had" to "remove" still exist?

given how OG was taught/indoctrinated that it was a do or die,had to be done "totally not a causeless/reason-less atrocity" type thing, there's a..chance they'd outright HAVE to start spooling up for a cross-earth campaign to avert social destabilization,long term or short, even if the people at the helm currently aren't on the level of manic, puppy-kicking, baby-bayoneting psychopathy as their predecessors-that their own hollow attempts at justifying the.....feel dirty again SAYING that word and the coming word in the same sentence even in context... Holocaust means that ideologically they HAVE to, or its an admission they were full of shit ....

..... you know, im....
    thinking about..potential side-applications of the Danner formula-
    does it have to be administered to a "complete" life-form?
    could be a number of interesting/unconventional applications if you were able to apply it to vat-grown/manufactured tissue- e.g enhanced "factory made" cyborgs/constructs that TECHNICALLY could be argued to be legal IF they never had a human brain/were sentient,or things like some of the Unmanned Gear's from MGS4 and onwards using cultured muscle tissue instead of conventional robotics....

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  9. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

...I kind of really want to play a DC-verse CKII set immediately prior to World War I and covering these events.

Between Danner, Garrick, magic shenanigans, and fringe pre-Golden Age superheroes, it sounds like a very interesting world to play around in.

10. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, he's got to pontificate that he could have saved the world years ago if only Superman would get out of his way. That humanity would have been strong and prepped for this invasion years ago if only Superman would get out of his way. That humanity would already be a race of demi-gods (Under a god-king Luthor of course) spreading throughout the galaxy if only Superman would get out of his way.

That takes time.

Then Superman will take a step to the side and say something along the lines of "Then do it Lex."

Something something, Lex will rage and try to kill Superman.

Because if he were really serious about all his Pro-Transhuman shit, Lex would have done it years ago. Nothing's been stopping him but his own evil, ego, greed, and need to be worshiped.

11. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

DC.

OL's been to multiple afterlives. Why not go ask him?

Bring a historian.

12. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I guess this'd be something a bit like a reverse Terminator? Those are a skin over robotic innards. This could be, say, a (cloned) human body from the jaw, down (includes the lower brain), with all the higher mental functions provided by an AI. Probably powered by a bio-to-electric converter implanted in the body. A nice feature would be poison gas filters...
    If the AI was something like the Zeta Project, with the holo disguise capability, these could be truly horrible...

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

Either he doesn't know where he is or the silver City won't let him

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  14. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Interesting that he thinks the United States getting a crop of Danner Enhanciles in the 50s would be enough to trigger WW3.

But if you had to have a WW3, having it in the 50s is the best time to have it if you're the United States. The United States had a near monopoly on nukes, with the Soviets only just starting nuclear production. It was also in a time when the only real way you had to deliver nukes was through the use of strategic bombers, and the United States had a much better strategic bomber fleet able to reliably hit Soviet targets. Conversely, the ability of Soviet strategic bombers to actually hit the contiguous United States was considered to be unreliable at best even as late as 1959.

Germany would be pretty fucked, but the devastation would mostly be east of the Rhine River. Not to say western Europe would get out of it unscathed, but those nations would survive.

Other than losses incurred on the front lines . . . To be honest, the United States would have come out of a 50s WW3 virtually untouched. It's the United States' allies who would suffer in such a war. Not the United states itself.

And that's before you add in whatever impact a crop of Danner Enhanciles would have had on such a war.

With a presumably ever increasing population of Danner Enhanciles . . . The US would have had a lot to gain and very little to lose from a hypothetical 50's WW3.

15. Maelgwyn

Maelgwyn I trust you know where the happy button is?

So like super-strong servitors?

16. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

If he'd waited a decade, America probably would have ripped itself apart in another civil war. Can't imagine the counterculture with Danner enhanciles would stay peaceful, on either side.

17. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Should be "rather than"

Mr Zoat likes this.
  18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

When referring to consolidated political power, "blocs". Yes, it's silly, especially since it's just literally the French word for "block." But that's how it is.

Probably. Computers weren't so much invented because they can do the work faster. They were invented because they can do it tirelessly and consistently. The Garrick formula doesn't keep you from getting bored, needing sleep, or making mistakes.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The SI knows this, and has put it aside.

20. Gantradies

mhmm!
    im fully aware that, even with literal comic-book superscience, biotechnology has a LOT of complications-the worst parts of maintaining a machine and livestock, at BEST-
    but, so do quite a few of the little bits and pices that OL's been picking up...

fappingtoyourpost and Navi-Hank like this.
  21. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

You know, it occurs to me that Overgirl getting to Earth 16Z may be because Time Trapper!Paul was trying to retrieve the local Paul of Earth 10Z, but couldn’t because he was dead, and so that led to a sort of error that caused the portals to pop up all over the place.

Titanacoracy101 and Darko like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Interesting theory, but I am sure it was just an accident.

23. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Something I think this discussion about Danner enhanciles becoming common seems to be forgetting something.

They have powers as children.

Hugo Danner could lift tons at age 6.

Hugo could outrun a train at 10.

A schoolyard tussle could have mass casualties for all those squishy squishy people who weren't enhanced.

Any country's leadership deciding to mass produce Danner kids is welcoming their own obsolescence.

Hugo made the Sons of Dawn thinking they were potentially a world ending threat and he did it anyway.

Which is why I keep calling him out on being genocidal.

Sure, Danner enhanciles aren't nuke proof, but this was pre-nuke. Technology moves on.

24. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's basically how the scene plays out in Superman All-Stars. "If the world mattered to you Lex, you could have saved it any time you wanted."

It gets even more interesting when you ask if Danner durability remains when the organism is dead. If so, it becomes really easy to mass-produce all kinds of super-tough goods. Bulletproof leather for instance.

25. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

Ew.

Gantradies likes this.
  26. Threadmarks: Jungle Gym (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

18th March
    15:04 GMT -3

"You sure Nazigirl's alright lookin' after a bunch of brown people?"

"Apparently, Overman was very clear about insisting that she follow local rules where reasonably practical. And the government of Germania hasn't bothered purging-."

"Yeah yeah, they're the super friendly kinda mass murderers."

Dr Munro looks increasingly concerned.

"No, they're just surprisingly realistic about the logistics."

We land in the courtyard at the front of the apartment building where Dawn Warrior lives, and Raquel presses the buzzer.

"I'm sorry, I think I missed something. Nazi?"

"Overgirl comes from a parallel universe where the fascists won the Second World War using alien technology. We're trying-"

"You're trying."

"-to talk her around and so's Superman, actually."

Winning quite a lot of points from me there, actually. Not that he's likely to ever use them without prompting. Can't be because I Dannered Lois…

There's a beep and the door unlocks, prompting the three of us to walk through the small and unmanned lobby into the lift.

Dawn Warrior is a superhero, but with no secret identity… He lives in the sort of apartment that he used to get paid to protect. His protection jobs these days are rather better paying, and his schedule is a lot more flexible. He volunteers with the police, and him being able to resolve situations without needing to open fire himself has kept the number of police-related fatalities noticeably lower than other Brazilian cities of comparable size. It's a… Different way of doing things.

"You…" Dr Munro looks a little awkward. I suppose that he did get the 'Nazi' thing sprung on him. Hoping that Raquel wouldn't tell people about that was a little too hopeful. "Got.. trained by Green-. Ah, the original Green Lantern, right?"

"If I got trained by the original Green Lantern I'd be millions of years old." I smile at Dr Munro as the lift comes to a halt. "But yes, the one who used to be in the Justice Society."

"And the All-Star Squadron."

"Yes. He stayed for the whole cleanup here and wrote his resignation letter on the way home."

Raquel frowns. "He didn't stop being a superhero, though."

"He cut down his hours a lot. He still won't look at the pictures."

Dr Munro nods as I knock on Dawn Warrior's door. "I know how he feels."

Beatriz opens the door and I lead the way inside. Dawn Warrior himself is sitting in his living area, wearing blue jeans and a white t-shirt. He raises his right hand and lazily waves it.

"Orange Lantern and god!"

His eyes widen in shock as he gets a clear look at Dr Munro.

"Ah…" Dr Munro bows his head slightly. "No. No, though… Some of your parents' people thought that my father was one."

Dawn Warrior stands up, clearly shaken by the resemblance. "You look… So much like him."

Dr Munro nods. "Good job my mother's husband never met him. So, can you tell us what's going on?"

Dawn Warrior's still staring at him, clearly not quite crediting that he's meeting his creator's son.

"No. But I can get in contact with the people who can. My tribe -and the others your father tried to help- are very cautious about contact with the outside." He smiles. "Did you know that my grandfather was the first of my people to meet him, Hugo Danner?"

"I… Didn't. How did it happen?"

"They were keeping watch over some archaeological expedition, when one of them -your father- decided to climb to the top of a mountain during a storm. He was hit by lightning, fell to the ground… And then got up again." Dawn Warrior grins. "And then he started laughing."

Raquel tilts her head to the right.

"What's so funny about being struck by lightning?"

"Hugo Danner the Man-God came to Brazil to get away from everyone who had rejected him in his own country. He climbed the mountain to ask God for advice… And his answer was lightning! Boom!"

He chuckles, and… Yes, I can see why Hugo might have found very black humour in that.

Beryl frowns. "Why did he call himself 'Man-God'?"

"He didn't. Ah, he said he was just a man, but they had seen him do things only gods could do! Yes, yes, a woman who can set herself on green fire, and-" He gestures to us. "-a man with an alien ring… But all our tribe had was herbalists and a little weak magic. We had never seen a metahuman like him before. They said he was a god, he said he was a man… So they compromised on Man-God."

"I've got to ask: how many other enhanciles like you are there?"

"I'm not exactly sure. Making the 'potion of the gods' isn't easy in the jungle-."

"What?" / "I beg your pardon?"

"What?" Dawn Warrior shrugs. "Hugo Danner made that stuff in the jungle. We lost his equipment when the American soldiers stole it, but the modern world being what it is, it wasn't hard to get more. And he never hid the process from us."

Dr Munro gapes, and I'm.. not far behind. That's a lot of years and a lot of Danner enhanciles.

"Roughly..? How many..?"

"Couple hundred? It's not just our tribe now. When it got real obvious that the government was going to sell the whole forest, people-. Eh, you know how it works. Pregnant women volunteered."

"And you.. kept it quiet?"

"After we started dying of diseases, the survivors went deep into the jungle to get away. It's hard to make vaccines which people like me can use. But it can be done."

"So… What was the plan, here? Why are you telling us?"

"The plan was to protect our territory from loggers, ranchers and the Brazilian government with the threat of violence. I don't know why someone attacked this logging camp early. It was supposed to be a couple of days of overwhelming force, then send me to Brasília to negotiate. Probably some kid being stupid."

He shrugs.

"So what do you want to do?"

"You're.. not at all concerned that we might stop you?"

"Not really, and if you try to?" He shrugs again. "How? The Justice League won't approve of you just killing everyone. You could try arresting everyone, but the government has nowhere to put us. Plus… There are a lot of us, now. No, I think that since you are here, it is best that we go and talk to my tribe and maybe start with the negotiations."

He smiles and gestures to his door.

"You gonna come?"

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  27. Gantradies

..... ohhh ,you poor naive, out of touch bastard, you're dealing with literally the WORST person to pull the "what are you gonna do, kill us?" technique on >.<
    i..kinda wanna see things go south out of sheer morbid fascination about how quickly the conflict would be pacified >~<

though, serious kudos to his entire group for actually saving and continuing to use the formula

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ho boy, from 0 to 100 in one second flat:D

I really like Dawn Warrior, his cheeky "Duh" attitude is hilarious.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think I really like this Dawn Warrior.
    Is he a OC or someone from the comics?

OL Dannered Lois?

30. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Oh good. This is how one negotiates with the DC Brazilian government.