1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

But it isn't if it warps one's perceptions of the world and colors the underlying primary personality's responses. That can still be wiped away independently of the victim's identity.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I laughed so hard at this my cat got worried.
    Thank you, corrected.

3. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

No the Castle of the two sisters was designed to be a funhouse.
    Arguably a defensive army that knows the place well could fight better inside it than a invading army who doesn't know anything about could.

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

No. Absolutely not. For several reasons.

1. Spider-man can dodge machine gun fire at point-blank range. Meaning he can dodge faster than the speed of sound. Couple that with his Spider-sense, and he's already primed for whatever you plan on doing. People far faster than Cap have completely failed to lay a finger on Parker. Such as when he bitch smacked an entire X-man team (Cyclops, Wolverine, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Colossus) all at the SAME TIME. Cap can not punch faster than the speed of bullets, nor is he one third as maneuverable as Parker.

2. Parker has been smashed in the skull by the titanium tendrils of Doc Ock, repeatedly bashed through solid concrete by the Rhino, had Goblin Pumpkin bombs explode right in his face, been planted into the ground, again solid concrete, from hundreds of feet in the air....and still gotten up. Gotten up and won. In the event Cap actually CAN land a punch, he can't punch hard enough to drop Peter before Peter can retaliate. Spider-man's durability far outshines Cap's.

3. Peter has repeatedly thrown down with Wolverine, a man canonically Steve's equal in combat and Weapon X's answer to Captain America, and won every time. Wolverine has flat out stated that, if he wanted to, Peter could kill him. Another point to it. Wolverine is a master of combat, with a hundred or more years of experience (I forget James' exact age) who has fought in every major war since the American Revolution and Peter can STILL match him.

4. You mention Steve's strength and that's all well and good. Problem? At his absolute weakest....Peter could press ten tons. Cap may have held that helicopter down in the film, but Peter could, and has, have pulled is straight out of the sky. The level of strength, speed, and mobility that Peter has allows him to punch far higher then people guess his weight-class to be. In short, Peter has knocked out Wolverine with a punch to his adamantium covered skull, has knocked out Rhino, a 70 ton class powerhouse with enhanced durability AND a suit of special armor, Smashed Suits of Iron-Tech armor, Rocked and dropped (though he was still conscious) Colossus in his armored form, managed to hit the Hulk hard enough that Hulk both felt and acknowledged that it hurt, and thrashed Titania (a She-Hulk class superwoman) so badly that she was utterly terrified of him, and spiders, for years.

Just one. One solid shot is all Peter needs to put Cap down. If he hits Steve as hard as he can, he might very well kill him.

5. Though Cap is agile, he still fights on a 2d plane. Peter can fight on a 3d one. One in the air, Steve is going wherever his momentum takes him. Peter can shift directions multiple times whenever he feels like it. He can force a battle into the air from the ground, pull it into the air from the air, and smash to the ground with enough force to flatten cars. Peter's mobility is so far above Steve's its not even funny. Peter can literally just sit 60 feet up on a building, and short of trying to throw his shield (which Peter will just snatch and web up on the side of said building) Steve can't even engage him.

6. Cap has his shield, an far more impressive weapon than it looks, but Peter has his webbing. A far more versatile tool than Steve's physics defying shield. In addition, his baseline webbing is already stronger than steel, that even people far above both Peter and Steve's strength class struggle to break.

7. Cap's a tactical genius no doubt. But Peter's no slouch in the plan as you go department, and his scientific knowledge and skills far outpace Steve's.

8. Spider-sense. I feel it should be stated again, but Peter's precog ability is almost broken all by itself. It also removes the stealth element from Steve's toolkit. Sneaking up on Peter is all but impossible (It can be done of course) while Peter's stealth skills are on par with the Batman. He's quiet, he's quick, and he can come from practically any angle.

9. While many people in the world fight like Captain America (His OG styles being named as Boxing and Judo) ain't nobody else in the world fights like Spider-man. Spider-style, as I'm want to call it, is heavily based upon Peter's physicality and experience. Many times over the years it's point out that he just doesn't....move right. It's weird, off putting, and as part of dodging and countering blows is understanding where they are coming from, that really fucks with you. Following that, Peter is almost never standing still for anything. He doesn't have to plant his feet to generate power as a power punching boxer would. He's all over the god damn place, bouncing off the ceiling and walls, coming in at all sorts of angles with a shit-ton of momentum behind him. He's a mortar shot that can redirect itself.
    In short. The only thing that would allow Steve Rogers to defeat Peter Parker in combat is a plot mandate. Spider-mans' abilities would have to be weakened, and idiot ball shoved in his hands, and reality itself warped to allow Steve to triumph. Much like literally any and every encounter of Superman VS Batman.

I've seen Batman pull off bullshit of a similar caliber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't fuck with the Webhead.

(The pictures are more for fun than for use as canonical reference. Search long enough, and you can find panels of anyone beating anyone.)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I would argue he dodges faster than the speed of light -- spider-sense is precognitive, so he can start dodging before the attack is even thrown.

6. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

It's been a while since we had a good old fashioned "who would win in a fight", hasn't it? Good on y'all for remembering our roots.

Belenus and Cuchulin like this.
  7. vali

vali I trust you know where the happy button is?

Never been a fan of the ponies in this story so I'm excited to finally see a character who shares my opinion on Equestria.

My only concern is that this will turn into some nightmare where "life = pain" is weaker than "friendship = magic" and Grayven's friendship with Sunset saves him or the friendship ponies win or something equally lame. Or (god forbid) they defeat the anti-life equation by forging "friendship = magic" into some sort of perverted friendship-equation.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, but all the elemental powers are parts of the Lifeweb/Morphogenic field.

In Brightest Day he merged with the Hawks(The White), Martian Manhunter (Meld), Aquaman (Clear/Blue), and Firestorm (The Parliament of Flames) and a white lantern power ring.

9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

"life = pain" + "friendship = magic" => "magic = void", because you have no magic, because who wants to be your friend if your existence is pain?

10. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

I see this second fix in the Story Only but not in the main thread, even after a refresh.

Hell's Razer and Mr Zoat like this.
  11. Blackgutter

Blackgutter Versed in the lewd.

thank you, my google-fu is weak, do you know where I can get an explanation on swamp things parliaments? I don’t exactly understand how they fit into his story, only the green is for plant things that he defends and the red is animals whicH he doesn’t like.

12. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

It's not that comprehensive but the DC database has the easiest to navigate source of information here.

According to one Swamp Thing storyline, before the universe there was Singularity.

Then the big bang happened, and Singularity was shattered.

The Singularity that was everything and all fractured into planets and stars, into fire and earth and water and air, and life.

So the elemental powers are part of a cosmic jigsaw. And like any jigsaw, pieces interconnect. Both the Clear/Blue and the Red can control animals of the sea, both Wind and Fire elementals can master lightning.

While the elemental powers are universal, the parliaments are local. The Parliament of Stones of Earth would not be the same as the Parliament of Stones of Krypton or Thanagar.

For example, one time when the Parliament of Trees and Swamp Thing were on the outs, Swamp Thing called for backup from the Green of other planets he had visited.

But the parliaments are like corporations, they only cooperate when they see it as in their own best interest, and they go to war when they see it as in their best interest.

Except Fire. Fire is the odd man out because the local Parliament of Flames for Earth is in the Sun.

Ngamer11, Wetbananas, Darko and 6 others like this.
  13. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's basically it. By dodging a split-second before the attack, he doesn't have to move faster than bullets, he just has to move faster than his opponent can correct their aim.

14. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Spider-man's senses also effect his web swinging....with his spider-sense, he was evidently aware of his environment enough to aim and shoot for locations that were structurally sound to handle the strains of his swings without much if any actual thought put into it. During the period he lost his spider sense but not his other powers, he had to slow down and aim. He also took up a martial art customized for him to help with it's lack, since he leaned so much on the reflex that he was flailing without it.

nick012000 and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

I'll see myself out.
    Thank you, corrected.

16. Threadmarks: Equestrian Girls (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

We NEED
    To LEAVE

"What-?"

I'm on my feet and dreaming a corridor.

"Run you stupid pony!"

"But-?"

I pound past her because while the Element Bearers have beaten Nightmare Moon before they've never faced anything like me. Luna comes to her senses a moment later, flapping her wings to catch up with me in the air. Shouldn't be a problem… I dream a wider corridor to give her a little more space.

"Grayven, this place does not literally exist! We cannot simply flee from that abomination!"

"I know! I didn't have any way of stopping it before you gave it purpose and I certainly don't now, but when I used it I could barely work up the motivation to do anything. I'm hoping I can slow it down."

"And then what?"

"If we're very lucky, Twilight's team will rainbow blast me in my sleep."

"Dost thou feel lucky?"

The end of the corridor comes into sight, and I gallop onto a small platform overlooking the maze I built into my mind as an anti-telepath measure.

"Yes. A little."

The way through essentially requires you to be me to find it, but that's a distraction in itself. I got the idea for this thing from a combination of Chester's pontificating and the plan the Green Lantern Marine Corps used to stop the Red Son version of Superman. Well, tried to, anyway. I hired a couple of mathematicians who Jean assured me could actually hold accurate models of extra-dimensional objects in their minds and created the trap at the centre of this maze by transferring it into mine. In theory, it should be able to hold any memetic being running on my brain. Unfortunately, Luna's put her hoof in it, so… Who knows.

But it's here, that's the main thing. And it wouldn't be if that abomination had full control of my psyche already.

"Get on my back."

Luna lands next to me and looks at the multidimensional maze. "What is this?"

"A trap. I can get through, but you're not me. Get on my back. I'll carry you through."

She flaps once, then I feel her weight on my back.

"Hast thou planned for this?"

"No. Not really." I step forwards onto what should be thin air, our surroundings twisting as the maze manifests its extra planar properties. "I always assumed that if it ever broke out I'd be unable to resist. This was for something else."

Saffron, elderberries, three four.

I step backwards and I'm in the field behind my parents' house on Earth Prime. It's part of the maze but also not. This memory shouldn't make any sense to anyone who has only been hearing the lies I've told about myself while allowing me to find connections out just fine.

Okay.

"Any ideas on what to do next?"

"Neigh, we do not. The Tantabus was never intended to exist within the mind of another. We-." An Earth Prime horse and two Earth Prime ponies walk across her field of vision. "-had.. not… What.. manner of strange creature-?"

"Not important. How do you destroy a Tantabus?"

Luna stares at the equines for a moment, then shakes her head. "We did not create a method by which it might be destroyed. Had We needed to, Our spellcraft would have been sufficient."

"Think you could take it now?"

"Neigh. We do not." She thinks for a moment. "Couldst thou reforge the containment cage with your emotions?"

"I didn't forge the first one. My brother did, and he's the New God of Freedom."

"The God of Freedom built a cage?"

"The God of Freedom helped me escape it. The Anti-Life is a mechanical expression of utter misery, not a geist. It has no consciousness."

"The Tantabus should not have one either. We created it to-."

"To remind you why turning into Nightmare Moon was bad, yes. In my experience, constantly being confronted by the same stimulus numbs you to it."

"We made it complex enough-" I'm nodding. "-to adapt-. Ah."

"Yeah. Ah." I take another look around. "But if emotional resonances are the best option we've got, we may as well get started." What's a good one-. Ah! And we won't even have to move.

I remember the scene… More or less, and the low moaning sound reaches us a moment later. This field doesn't actually have any trees in it, but for dramatic effect I suppose that sticking one in when neither Luna nor I were looking works well enough. I trot towards the tree, the texture of the ground changing under my hooves as my surroundings switch from Westham farmland to the fields outside New Camelot. Derek Kelly is lying against the tree, staring up in horror, his right hand trying to reach the knife still embedded in the back of his head.

Of course, this never actually happened. He was unconscious after our fight when the knife was in him, and the staring-in-mindless-horror is something he picked up in the secure hospital after I brought him back. Still, even Sinestro commented on how impressed he was at what I had achieved.

"Who is that?"

"A former enemy. He gave me a damn good fight, actually. Blindsided me, stole my equipment, was.. almost entirely invulnerable. He used a fear elemental to supercharge my yellow power ring. And…"

I look up as my memory of the Terror Thing appears in the sky and I remember what nearly being eaten by the thing was like.

Then I flick my right ear and realise that there's no ring on it. I try and picture just the mouth and tentacles, imagine them forming a circle…

Nothing,

"It's not working. Could try another emotion, can't think why it would work better. Any other ideas?"

"Perhaps the Elements of Harmony-?"

I turn and angrily press my face into hers.

"You think?"

She holds my gaze for a moment, then backs up slightly. "The Elements are not merely jewellery. They are the principles underpinning Equestrian civilisation. We know full well that they do not need a corporeal manifestation in order to bring their force to bear."

"Okay. You try."

"Canst thou fly?"

I flap my wings, and awkwardly rise from the ground.

"As long as I don't think about it."

Luna ascends into the sky, her wings beating as she flies towards the newly appeared forest.

"Follow Us."

Don't think don't think don't think…

My wings flap, and I wallow through the skies after her.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  17. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

I've already been informed and read the FAQ.

18. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

19. david

david Getting sticky.

Grayven has wasted so much time, he should have just asked them to blast him with the elements and this would have been over a long time ago.

Seriously though, I really want this to end with someone telling Grayven that he should have explained how dangerous it was sooner so we can find out if a New Gods eye vessel can burst out of sheer frustration.

edit: since some people seem to have missed the point, yes he did try to do this, that’s the joke.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  20. Zeromaru2

Zeromaru2 Versed in the lewd.

He tried though? He was ignored because the Ponies underestimated what theAnti-Life could do based on his explanation. And I doubt he expected the worst to happen so soon.

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

No duh, Grayen, No duh! You should call yourself Captain Obvious next.

"Gah, how can you people run on four legs?! I can barely get them moving in the same direction!""

How accomodatiing. But when a manifestation of Existential depression and Personal recrimination is chasing you, you only have to run faster than the other guy...

So he's not looking to escape. After all, this is his dreamscape. At best, he's hoping to slow down its spread within their minds.

You do not have nearly the grizzledness for that quote, Pretty Pony Princess!

Engage lockdown!

For all you know, the Tantabus-Anti-life hybrid will just piggyback along her mental connection to her own body and BAM! Nightmare Moon round 2.

Boy, is that an awkward image. Especially since he's so much larger than her...

Good to see she knows when not to argue.

The question is if the defences will work as well against part of himself...

Handy, using out-of-context memories. Anyone expecting Apokalips would be very confused right now.

I'm reminded of that 'Ponies React' from one of the Ponies Anthology videos... At least she isn't disgusted...

First mistake: Not having an off-switch for your mind-harassing autonomous spell.

Half the time he's barely functioning as it is. That kind of skill would need something closer to White Enlightenment, or tricks equivalent to it.

What? If he knows how to escape something, he has to know how it works.

Well, you outdid yourself, honey.

Second mistake: Not setting clear limits on the spell.

And Here... We... Go!

And depending on how deep it went, he can still have a lot of function. The skull is hella tough.

And it says a lot when Sinestro compliments you on your ability to cause fear...

"I almost respect him for all that. Pity he was a right bastard working for utterly evil bastards..."

Well, Poop. Horse-apples. That isn't good.

... I have no words. Where is that damn facepalm smiley?!

Try a little harder, Gayven, I don't think you sound quite sarcastic enough.:D

Here's hoping she can manage it.

"Let's hope Gravity doesn't catch on, either. It tends to a stickler about that."

Follow the Moon, Grayven...

If the situation weren't so dire, this would almost be funny...

...Well... This day could be going better for Grayven. It's not quite Darkseid-on-the-couch level, but it's closing fast. I really hope the Mane 6 and Celestia have been alerted...

22. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Did... Did you read this chapter?

23. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

He asked like once.
    He didnt try a differnt explanaition or anything.
    Then he just went to be .....well himself....in the worst way.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

At least this proves that paragon isn't the only one capable of giving lousy explanations that can lead to bad shit happening, thinking of the age thing and Zatanna.
    It also proves that despite now being virtually different people the renegade and paragon are still the same person deep down.

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Huh. Surprised that Grayven still has a mindscape to operate in. Maybe Luna is helping somehow?

Also, she can connect different dreamscapes. Assuming the Bearers are sleeping right now she should be able to just call them.

Navi-Hank and DAT_NOOB like this.
  26. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

So they can be trapped aswell?

Navi-Hank likes this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Trap? Forget the trap, what about the Anti-Life?

28. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Build -> built

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  29. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I meant that luna and Grayven are trapped by the anti-life in his mindscape so bringing the gang in would trap them with the anti-life?

Navi-Hank likes this.
  30. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

He was ignored because he gave a half-assed try, and then moved into what he was really looking forward to: trolling the fuck out of ponies.

If he remembers that level of detail from the show, he remembers more than enough to push the right psychological buttons to get them to understand how bad anti-life was.

Alternatively, given how fucked-up Luna is about having been Nightmare Moon, going over their heads and pushing the "Hey, I need help so something like that doesn't happen to me" button to get her on his side seems like it would have been easy mode.

This was just Grayven being his Grayven-est, and it bit him in the ass big time.