1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Maybe missing an "of" there.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes.
    Thank you, corrected.

Ardy, Doccer, Prince Charon and 6 others like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ah wanted another set of powers in case the wings don't cut it.

For the bullshit of the movie in killing Savage and Knockout the only two excuses i can guess is that either Savages immortality in that universe was running out, or it may not have been that strong in the first place and he survived all this time by being EXTREMELY lucky and tenacious.
    As for Knockout maybe the bullets that killed her were somehow magical in nature and while New Gods are resistant to magic maybe they were stronger than she could resist.
    Also let's not forget the comics sometimes barely make any sense in portraying the New Gods as being just some aliens with an overinflated sense of self or multiversal super beings that have many avatars.

DrThoth and Ngamer11 like this.
  4. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

"Ok, boomer."
    – Deadshot

5. Jacen

Jacen I am of no consequence.

man·tle1
    /ˈman(t)l/
    noun

• 1. a loose sleeveless cloak or shawl, worn especially by women
    • 2. an important role or responsibility that passes from one person to another
    if you really don’t like mantle, give them another term for the effect.

6. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Fratricide is the technical/official/bureaucratic term for "friendly fire".

DrThoth and WereDragon like this.
  7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It’s been confirmed that it doesn’t pass from one person to another. Paul has it because Father Box copies Graven’s soul structures onto his. This is why memories are presumably bleeding. Paul is basically a parasite inhabiting and mixing with a clone of Graven that he created using his original body as vase material.

8. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

"Paul and Grayven, sitting in a tree,
    m - a - n -"

Angel Paul is fascinating. Does he still subscribe to ParaPaul's consequentialism or does he, as angels do, wholly follow virtue ethicsdeontology? Or somewhere in-between? Rule consequentialism with a God bias? I can't wait to see more of him.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If Wings!Paul gets the Lantern, how would the wings and ring interact? I'd like Wings!Paul to show the other members of the Squad that he has the potential to kill a lot of people with both power sources at his disposal, if only so that they could all stare at him in shock/fear again.

10. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

‘The only ring that has the capacity to affect the user’s body/power set without their express orders is the red ring, so I imagine there won’t be any intera, though there will be overlap, i.e. healing, flight, etc.

Mr Zoat, can this Paul do the ‘I deny you the light of creation thing?

dogbertcarroll, Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  11. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

hypothetically, invest in a factory that manufactures lye, or a pig farm, preferably beforehand. remember to remove the teeth and hair first if the latter-
    don't be a idiotic twat like Dexter and drop little weighted baggies into the water to wash up bodyparts on shore the first time a violent storm/hungry predator/random anchor rips a bag open/decomposition gasses make the bag buoyant enough to float ANYWAY.

uhhh. hypothetically speaking, t..that is!

Hell's Razer, Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  12. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I think you might be getting the meaning of virtue ethics a bit confused, here... It sounds like you're talking about deontological ethics, which I'm guessing is what angels would follow. But, it's all Greek to me. :)

Ethics is a bit of a mine field (which is better than a mime field :) ), and you know you're in trouble when you hear that they plan to build 'ethics' (of some flavour, probably consequentialism) into the AI of robots. :)

(I'm completely ignoring the "consequentialism has similar failings to scientific reductionism" bit, due to having issues with context, here. :) )

I know of someone who was attacked by a fireplace... Apparently due to a fall, grabbing the thing, and the original installer hadn't actually fixed it to the wall... So, maybe you could claim that the fireplace was responsible? And, therefore they're the one that gets his identity? :)
    (I, personally, wouldn't refer to murder as 'trivial'...)

Doesn't sound like 'minor theugy' to me...

Makes me wonder what would allow him to get better at wielding the power, though... Have the wings caused him to grow an angelic-style soul, to 'fill the gap'? So, maybe a matter of time and practice? And, I guess there might be the issue of whether Boss Smiley has noticed him...

DrThoth, FeepingCreature and Darko like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

No.

14. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

At first, I wondered if he arrived without an Orange ring, and had some other means of getting the money to pay Constantine with, but then Zoat commented on wanting to get Alan's lantern from Waller. At a guess, he either didn't want to go through the difficulty involved in obtaining the lantern without permission, or made a deal of some sort before meeting Constantine.

15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Should that be Director or Agent Waller instead?

Cuchulin, Ardy, Darko and 1 other person like this.
  16. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

What earth is this one?

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Wonder how powerful he is in comparison to an average angel and Angelica?
    On one hand he was never a demon to begin with and may find it easier to use the angel magic, but Angelica is a higlhy intelligent and skilled magic user that has had thousands of years to perfect her craft and probably has a load of theoretical knowledge on theurgy and its uses, plus she may be getting tutored by Zauirel.
    Also she had a team of highly skilled atlanteans, a skilled surgeon and biomancer as well as perhaps the worlds oldest non divine magic practiteoner helping her while Paul just had Constantine and probably someone he managed to dig up.

Zoat i know this is a longshot, but have you ever planned of who you would like this one to start dating?
    If he manages to save Knockout then he may go the route of Eros!Paul and get two beautiful and deadly women falling for him.

Ngamer11 and Cuchulin like this.
  18. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Fair is fair I suppose, mainlining the power of a reputedly benevolent god can’t be a worse way of getting a soul than mainlining the Embodiment of Avarice.

John Constantine vs an evil box of scientific evil.
    Yeah I think most would agree that John was the better option. Not all but most.

19. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wouldn't really call this version of Constantine weak, he actually seemed pretty powerful when he was fighting Doctor Destiny and Faust.

20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

It seems to be the Earth of Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, which is part of the DC Animated Movie Universe.

If it has a number, I'm not aware of it.

21. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Oops, you are correct. Thank you for the correction.

I always mix those two up. :)

22. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

A pity that thought hasn't occurred to the likes of Vandal Savage or Eobard Thawne.

BOOMERANG: Yeah, but I still wanna avoid Hell.

WINGS!PAUL: Then take some time to repent. Stop doing bad sh@#. Do some good with your life, it's not that difficult! It really is THAT easy!

BOOMERANG: Eeeeh, I don't know, it just seems like too much work, you know?

WINGS!PAUL: REALLY? I mean, it's your soul, your choice, but you DO know that nigh eternal torment may very well await you on the other side, right? A LITTLE hard work is an incredibly, INCREDIBLY small price to pay to avoid all that.

BOOMERANG: Maybe Hell won't be that bad!

WINGS!PAUL: ....I have it on VERY good authority that whatever you can imagine, it's going to be much, MUCH worse.

23. Mr Zoat

I don't know. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that she had a doctorate, but I've got no idea where.
    No, none at all.
    It came up in the comics. Knockout is pansexual and assumes that relationships are open by default. Scandal isn't and doesn't.

24. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Oh damn. It's that universe. With a version of Killer Frost I really, really like.

Also has what may very well be the best version of Doctor Fate ever.

Nabu really needs to work the stick out of his ass and give that guy another chance. Of all the dangerous shit one can probably find in the Tower of Fate, that card really isn't even that big of a deal.

Of course, in that movie I'm pretty sure the card does actually send people to Heaven. And they did a tie-in comic that takes place after the movie, where it turns out Amanda Waller is such a piece of shit The Specter has decided to come after her.

25. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

I love this.

Darko likes this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was this other fic on SV called Life Ore Death where Scandal had a threeway with Wally and Knockout after Wally showed her pictures of him posing over Savages heart patterned underwear after he beat and panced him when he tried to stop him from taking the heart to Princess Perdita.
    Scandal may work for her father but she hates him and if Paul heals Knockout and stops her father she may be open to the idea of thanking him in a more intimate manner if Knockout suggest it even if she herself wouldn't initiate it herself.
    Like Holly and Karon.

Wow i wonder what angel Paul is going to think about this version of Nabu?
    I doubt that he is going to hate him as much as paragon hated his Nabu, but will probably be extremely dissapointed in his choice of a wearer.
    That or he may want whatever mystical weed Nabu was smoking when he made that choice.
    Celestial ganja, nothing beats it.
    Plus if he is immune to most earth based intoxicants he is going to need as much celestial ones as he can get. He may be extremely patient and serene, but still it is safe to have some calming herbs on standby if you're dealing with the shit the DC universe throws at you.
    Such shit includes being in debt to John Constantine.
    I know he technically paid Constantine, but do you really think that is going to stop that walking miscarriage of a human being from calling in this supposed debt?

Speaking of funny Nabu hosts there is this one YJ fic on SB called Medic where the League and mc make one of Constantines friends a host for Nabu on the logic that him being friends with Constantine will result in him suffering later in life plus the guy did some horrible shit in life so wanted to repent by becoming a champion of order and defending the world from malignant magical menaces, so they thought him willingly giving himself up as a host, and protecting the world, would be better than potentially being taken by some demon and tortured for the crime of being friends with Constantine.
    The funny thing about this is that it is a 100% correct seeing as in the comics a demon got a hold of the souls of several of Johns friends and was torturing them.

On a side note i really recommend a YJ fic by theirishdreamer on SB called The Dark Shard:Enemy of The Light.
    It is a great fic though the grammar may turn some people off i really recommend it.
    There are also several other fics of his like:
    Ridire Coracairdhearg: The Shard of War and Blood (Star Wars/DnD)
    The Traveling Merchant and Wandering Mage(multi cross SI and a side story of the The Dark Shard) etc.

Ngamer11, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  27. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Yeah, well I remember the three as 'consequentialism', 'authoritarianism' (trust that (external) authority to tell you what's right/wrong), and 'the other one'. I first heard about 'virtue ethics' from Michael Sandel's broadcasts, and I still have trouble remembering the term. :)

Trouble with a lot of these systems is that they throw the baby out with the bath water - you get the impression they're sort of looking for ethical/philosophical sound bites... I will admit speculating that Grayven might be a 'new existentialist', balancing rationalism against romanticism, maybe after the style of Colin Wilson (because that avoids the depressing Satre style), but, maybe that's pushing things too far. :)

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Negotiation with Waller...now that's risky. Has there ever been any version of her that would actually keep her word?

29. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

It's a very nice touch that Angel!Paul refers to and thinks of everyone else by their names and not their costumed identities. When it first said "Dr. Quinzel," I thought he was taking part in a prison counseling group session.

But the important quest is... What the heck does Waller have that Pangel wants and is willing to get involved with the suicide squad to get?

Jaron, Cuchulin, Silveraith and 3 others like this.
  30. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I mean a lot of Pauls refer to people by names, but it does fit his benevolent personality here particularly well.

As Mr Zoat has answered, Alan Scott's Lantern, though I'm not clear on why Waller would have it instead of the family of one of Scott's peers. I would like to see how an angel uses the power of avarice though- I can see Paragon's value system being fairly compatible.