1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Waller does run a intelligence organization with a lot of agents, she probably had one of them take the lantern, or maybe if the All Star Squadron exists in that universe the government could have taken it away after his death because he was their employee.

2. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

on reflection, i should probably clarify that the previous "advice" was a combination of a movie reference (the pig farm- Snatch-an EXCELLENT British gangster comedy-recommenced it for anyone who hasn't seen it- or hasn't seen it in years,alongside Hot Fuzz), and drawing from vague memories of a loon who killed people and stuffed their bodies into drums of caustic lye irl years back (came up in an article on cracked.com).for the second. theres... probably a hotline they call if someone suddenly starts ordering Lye by the 40 gallon drum.

i....
    ....FUCK. im already on a watchlist somewhere, aren't i?
    godammit. NOT a trait i wanted to share with my charicter!
    .....least it isnt the unstable power core...

Vorian likes this.
  3. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

If this Paul's power ring is completely dead, can he even convert Alan Scott's Lantern to orange?

4. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

A better question is, would he even bother trying? It’s a functional-ish lantern with a functional-ish ring. At this point, he may as well just use it as is.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  5. thebishop8

Just because it's out of charge doesn't change the fact that you can't power an orange power ring with a green lantern.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

But you'll still have a green lantern, possibly a ring to go with it, and options going forward.

7. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Getting out there.

It's not stated what color his ring is this time around.

Jaron, dogbertcarroll and Cuchulin like this.
  8. thebishop8

I noticed that. But given that most Paul's start with orange rings, and the last 3 alternates in this very episode had orange rings, it seems like a safe assumption.

Or maybe he did start with a green ring, and because he didn't want to risk the remaining charge on his ability to fulfil a bargain with Waller, he sought out the enhancement he now has just in case.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Threadmarks: Equestrian Girls (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Local morning
    Probably still the 1st of April back home

I take a moment to look at my forehooves. They still look much the same, particularly given that I didn't take my armour off last night. I'm.. pretty sure that what I dreamt actually happened -for a given value of 'actually happened' but… I don't exactly know how to tell.

"Mhr?"

I glance down to where the self-renamed Party Popper is lying pressed up against my barrel. I don't think that she's fully awake-

She yawns, her eyes opening and then closing again.

-but she appears to be heading in that direction. What to say? I used her to illustrate a point, and-. Huh. I was expecting to feel a little guilt, but this is quite a bit more than I was expecting. Maybe it's because she's small and furry and adorable.

I mean… It might be because I don't have an Anti-Life fragment any longer, but I'm not going to gamble on that until Sunset and Scott have checked.

"Uhh."

Party Popper blearily looks around, notices my barrel and then pokes it with her left forehoof to check that it's really there.

"Huh. Mom always told me something like this would happen if I left the rock farm."

"She did?"

She turns her head towards mine. "Weeeeeeeell… Not this exact thing. But I think this is the sort of thing she meant."

"Party Popper, I'm sorry for dragging you into this. I-."

"Are you?" She blinks up at me. "Are you really?"

I nod.

"No one's more surprised than me. Normally the most I feel in situations like this is a mild obligation to the injured party. This is actually…" I sigh. "Bringing you here illustrated the point a little better, but honestly? From what Luna said, just teleporting Twilight and your primogenitor to the Mirror Pool would have worked just as well. I just wanted to break their resistance as fast as I could and didn't really care if I hurt you to do it. And I should have done. So: not just an apology. I do actually want you to organise Sunset Shimmer's party, if you're still willing. And obviously I'm in your debt in addition to that."

"Huh." She looks thoughtful for a moment, then brightens up. "Hey, you passed!"

"Good? Passed what?"

"Princess Luna told me that if you didn't apologise I had to buck you in the flank." She cranes her neck to bring her face a little closer to mine. "And unlike someponies, I actually know where the flank is."

"It's another word for 'haunches', isn't it?"

She shakes her head definitively, smiling broadly. "Nope!"

I snort with amusement. "Hey, you want to know what's funny?"

"Aaaaaaalways."

"Luna's my best friend in all of Equestria."

She leans back, squinting at me. "Really? Whaw."

"I know, right. So she visited your dream too?"

"Yep. So I know all the other mes didn't really die and they're all going to be let out soon and I can be Party Popper for real or even Pinkie Pie except that could get confusing when we're all together and I can even go back to Ponyville if I want to."

"Do you want to?"

"I…" She sags a little, looking away. "Dunno. I do kinda wanna see everypony again, but Twilight did try and sorta-kill me. And everypony else went along with it. And I've made a whole bunch of new friends in Manehattan. Wait a sec-ond." She turns her face back towards me, peering at me suspiciously. "Didn't your horn used to be orange?"

I briefly go cross-eyed trying to see it.

"Ah-."

Party Popper sticks her right hoof into her mane and pulls out a hoof mirror. She holds it up towards me.

"See?"

I look at my own reflection. I look… Pretty much the same. Which is good; if I'd turned into a white pony I'd be worried that Harmony was racist. But… I'm looking a little less sinister all round, and my horn is now a grey spiral face spear rather than a smooth orange face claw.

"Ah, could you please cover your ears for a moment?"

Party Popper stuffs her mirror back into her mane, then grabs a pillow and holds it over her head.

"Life… Equals… Pain."

It's gone.

It's… Gone.

I step off the bed, prompting Party Popper to slump into the depression I made in the bed. She drops the pillow and looks at me expectantly.

"I.. admit I've been a churl
    Since I woke up over a world."

I take another look at my reflection in the mirror over the dresser.

"The day before was sour
    And it left me feeling dour
    I lost everything
    Except a glowing orange ring
    And though I fought in the good fight
    I never did quite get it right."

I turn back to Party Popper, who's standing on the floor and looking strangely excited.

"And my allies, they were fine
    Though not exactly of like mind
    Played them false? Yes, I admit it
    And I never seemed to quit it.
    Tossed a coin, picked a side,
    Because I'd rather fight the tide
    And my rage meant that my friends
    Were mostly just means to my ends."

Life… Doesn't equal pain. Life can be good, full of opportunities.

"And… Now… I'm… Free!"

I shove open the door and march down the corridor.

"I'm filled with glee!
    There is no Anti-Life in me!
    And everyone around can see
    That I'm a jubilant pony!
    And now I'm free!
    I'm filled with glee!
    That I'm a jubilant pony!"

I open my wings and fly down the main staircase, Party Popper hot on my heels. I toss a bag of bits at the front desk attendant and head out of the front doors.

"Took a stand, won a prize
    Cut my foes right down to size
    One can rebuild from rubble
    The rest weren't worth the trouble
    Got a visit from my Dad
    He took note of all I had
    And he gave me as a prize
    Something I truly do despise."

I march in the direction of the palace while Party Popper leaps onto my back and starts dancing.

"But now I'm free!
    I'm filled with glee!
    That I'm a jubilant pony!
    But now I'm free!
    I'm filled with glee!

I should probably question how I'm suddenly able to move this quickly on hooves, but… Ah. Who cares?

"Got helped out by my bro
    He said I should take things slow
    So I went on a few tours
    And killed many evildoers
    Did some building, got a plan
    'cause I'm not a one note man
    Then I went back home to see
    What I would do with me."

Prance through the palace gates, Luna should be… That way?

"So now I'm free!
    I'm filled with glee!
    I'm…"

Twilight Sparkle and I stare at each other. She looks… Rough. Worn out and generally miserable.

"A slightly contrite pony."

I stop, and Party Popper jumps down off my back.

"Twilight Sparkle."

She scowls. "What now?"

"I'm sorry. I let my fervour to destroy my Anti-Life fragment blind me to other approaches that I could take, and in doing so I caused you and your friends considerable emotional distress. I didn't take into account the.. now obvious fact that the elements of harmony aren't the jewellery that you and your friends wear, but fundamental parts of Equestria's magic that are available to anyone. I forgot that Nightmare Moon destroyed the previous manifestation of the Elements and that you reformed them from your own virtues, an option that was just as available to me as it was to you. I shouldn't have come after you in the way that I did that and I'm sorry."

"Oh. Well. Good." She sighs, then steps around me and looks at Party Popper. "And I'm sorry. I made assumptions about how the Mirror Pool worked based on other magic artefacts I'd studied, and I was.. so wrong and I didn't check that what I thought was true really was. I spent all night getting the other Pinkie Pies out and I said sorry to all of them. I've never wanted anypony to be as afraid of me as you were."

Party Popper thinks for a moment.

"I'd… Be lying if I said I was okay with any of what happened… But I know that you're telling the truth and… I guess you've really done all you can do to make up for it." She gives Twilight a quick nuzzle, then jumps back on my back. "Now go get some sleep. You look awful."

Twilight nods, takes one last look at me, then trots away. I watch her go for a moment, then continue down the corridor towards the gardens.

"So now I'm free.
    Fairly happy.
    There is no Anti-Life in me.
    I'm a.. somewhat contrite pony."

I step out onto the manicured lawns and nod a greeting to Luna before heading her way.

"Followed Sunset to her home
    Where the little ponies roam
    Tried to Harmonise my strife
    And destroy the Anti-Life
    Though they were sadly unwilling
    Speaking of their Pinkie-killing
    Earned me a royal visit
    Whose results were-"

I lower my head as if to sniff Luna's haunches, and am rewarded with a tail whip to the snout.

"-quite exquisite."

I walk around to face her as she rolls her eyes.

"Grayven. You seem somewhat less umbral this morn."

"I feel less umbral. Did a song and everything."

"We heard."

"How did it feel to use the Elements again?"

She thinks for a moment. "Satisfying. We feel… Cleansed by their presence in a way which being struck by their full fury does not match. Now, exactly how far does your contrition extend?"

"I'll repay every debt incurred and a little more besides. But I seem to remember making a promise to you. How-?"

She yawns. It lasts several seconds.

"We apologise. Our body entered your dream physically, and We have had little time for rest since."

I nod. "I'll-."

"Because of the great upsets you caused with the Bearers."

I nod, pausing for a moment. "I'll… Work something out, there. And I'll not keep you, but… I can remove your tiredness, if you'd rather not leave me unsupervised in your capital."

"Having seen what you planned for it, that may be wise. How-?"

Strengthen True Friend.

She shudders, coming to full alertness in an instant, her wings opening to their full span.

"Goodness."

"So why don't we head inside, and you can tell me what I can do for you, and for Equestria?"

She nods, smiling. "I would like that."

"'cause now we're free! / "'cause now you're free!
    We're filled with glee!" / We're filled with glee!"

We march back towards the palace proper alongside each other, Party Popper still on my back.

"There is no Anti-Life in me!

"'cause now we're free! / "'cause now you're free!
    We're filled with glee!" / We're filled with glee!"

Luna beams.

"There is no Anti-Life in thee!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  10. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I can't stop smiling and it's so sweet I think you gave me diabetes.

11. Uyurgezn

Uyurgezn Making the rounds.

If Waller ever get her hands on a power ring even half broken one there would be a black OPs lantern around. It seems like here, Waller only got the Lantern and she probably have no idea to how to to use a faulty lantern without a ring. Heck maybe she doesn't even know it have the same tech as other green lanterns. She may be seing it as a chep imitation.

12. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I just can’t remember where the song’s from.

13. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

None of the Mirror Pinkies had her memories.
    She had to teach her who her friends are and stuff after she was made.
    I mean, if they actually had her memories they wouldnt have gone aroundestroying everything.

14. Mr Zoat

Me.

15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

D'awwwww :')

Can someone with more musical talent than me turn this into a proper song? (Great job with the text, Zoat)

I wonder how long Grayven's...cleansing lasts. Or how far it goes, I guess.

Ah, who are we kidding. He is going to get vacuumed up by the tuning fork thing the moment he gets back.

Gilhelmi, DrThoth, Jaron and 6 others like this.
  16. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

It reminds me an awful lot of a Disney song, I just can’t - Pinocchio! I’m not sure if it ever was a song, but it reminds me of ‘there’s no strings on me!’.

Gilhelmi, Navi-Hank, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  17. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I don't think I was the only one singing that, but I'd love to hear everyone's rendition, including yours, Zoat.

18. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Darkseid: "Congratulations, you've accomplished more in a few months than high-father did in millennia. As a reward, I shall show you more truth. That no matter what you do you will never escape, that Hope=Folly"

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I really wish this is recorded and given to members of the Team, just to see their WTF faces.

Highfather may have a method to cleanse paople of the equation though probably not one that destroys it.

Zoat did the Elements really destroy the equation?

20. Redhawk

Redhawk Getting out there.

I want to see this so much right now.

21. Mr Zoat

He completely destroyed the fragment inside himself.

22. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

They probably 'destroyed' it the same way Nightmare Moon 'destroyed' the Elements in the pilot episodes. As in, not at all. I suspect they only got rid of that shard's current manifestation; that as long as suffering continues to exist in the universe, Anti-Life can never be truly destroyed.

23. Jack of Olives

Jack of Olives Knows just enough to be dangerous.

So there are now dozens of Pinkie-clones running around Equestria...

Renegade had better get out of there before people realize what he's unleashed... and Twilight may need to go with him. :p

24. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

This chapter got me to move from the story only thread to here just to say, this gave me a weirdly large smile, so thank you.

25. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

Broken link

26. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I've been assuming this is a slight AU in that regard.

In canon the Pinkie clones didn't know who anyone was, and in canon Twilight would have probably had a much more visceral and panicked reaction to the idea that she murdered multiple sapient people, much less "proof" being shoved in her face, even if it all turned out they weren't killed here at all.

27. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

*Clap, clap, clap* That was beautiful! Beautiful, I say! Bravo, my good sir, delightful episode. I shall have to read it in its entirety (jumping the other alternates, they break the flow a bit) now that it's complete to appreciate it a bit more, but for someone that couldn't care less for ponies and the last time that thought about equines in general was when someone mentioned how glue is made... well, I wouldn't say that I want to see the pony show, but still really enjoyed this adventure.

In fact, I think something was mentioned about this being a two episodes trip? I would hope so, because Sunset's situation hasn't been resolved and I'm up to following Grayven's adventure in "Wilson" for a little bit more time. I'm glad that he's getting renovated, noticing how much of a heel he's been, but I hope that this doesn't mellow his harsh too much; I would miss troll Grayven too much, and it would be weird if he becomes the new Paragon or something. Not being that much of a dick to people he just meets and dialing down on being an asshole in general is ok, but I still like the Renegade being a dick and an asshole, honestly.

28. Mr Zoat

Works for me. Anyone else?

29. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Says image not found for me

Wheenesss, Belenus and RichardWhereat like this.
  30. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

did Renegade Paul do something with party popper? Do I need to call an adult or the cops? Lantus side that was a very surreal song and it made me feel like I was taking drugs which is kind of interesting since I've never actually taken drugs. But it was a good chapter in a good I guess ending for this section of the story though I do hope we have sunsets resolution before this ends