1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Battlefleet Gothic is hilariously out of date.

Also it doesn't talk about Terra's defenses, that comes from something else entirely, where we actually see them instantly vaporize a Necron Tombship that appeared in orbit.

Light speed weapons controlled by Machine Spirits give no fuck about the targets size.

And again you are hilariously out of date, since then they have released both a Cult Mechanicus Codex and a Adeptus Mechanicus Codex.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

not to sound marrow-minded,but ive got a bone to pick with you- i dont find that line very Humerus!

Ardy, WaleXdraK, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Polygamy and polyamore are perfectly normal in Nehekharan culture, so they could have a political marriage without in impeding either of their lives all that much. That said, they could b e good friends and she's not unattractive when fully fleshed out.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Not... Exactly. There are reasons why members of the Light College all dress like ancient egyptian nobles.
    To be fair, he's a millennia-old animated skeleton. It's truer in his case than in many others.
    Hey! I know 5th. A bit. That was where they messed up the Norse to make them all Chaos all the time.
    No, that was a genuine enquiry. 'Have I satisfied you or do you want more evidence?' not 'Have I satisfied you or are you a moron?'
    You think a Dark Elf would be bothered by a dismantled human body? You think someone who survived a Marienburg public school would be?
    Not in the short term. And pony mammaries are less impressive.
    Thank you, corrected.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  4. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Still canon and a reflection of the truth of space combat in the setting.

"Instantly" in this case would be "within an hour, because that's how long it takes for ships to maneuver and target their capital weapons in 40k". Also, said Necron tombship would be multiple kilometers long, compared to Zoat being under 2m.

Machine spirits are inaccurate as fuck. They're worse than biological humans are at aiming guns. Witness the performance of Land Raiders and their machine-spirit rules in older editions (5+ to hit vs 3+ to hit for elite human troops), or the performance of Cognis weapons in 8th Edition (allowing them to fire with a -2 penalty after advancing). More to the point, however, is the fact that in BFG, lances can't shoot at things like fighters or torpedoes - and even when they're shooting at multi-kilometer ships, there's a decent chance they'll miss.

And nothing in them contradicts them, IIRC. Warp-tech (aside from patterns inherited from the DAoT) is the domain of the Dark Mechanicus or heretical sub-sects of the Mechanicus as a whole - building something like, say, a sword that channels warp energy into the people it hits is tech-heresy.

Or they figure out that his Ring is tech rather than magic, and send in the Chaos Space Marines or Dark Mechanicus to deal with Paul while their mortal followers deal with the natives.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  5. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Would that be true if only the lore up to the mid nineties (whatever edition) was Canon?

Zoat only writes what he knows and what he finds interesting and easy to grasp from a quick wiki walk through, thus is fairly likely a lot of later Canon wouldn't count for anything in the same way new DC stuff doesn't matter a single iota.

6. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Early canon had the Old World as a world in the 40k galaxy, where the Chaos Gods had a galaxy full of heretics to draw upon. Modern canon has it as being located in an alternate universe but connected through the Warp/Realm of Chaos.

7. Mr Zoat

They first met when Mallobaude was a Questing Knight. He was trying to chase down the Dark Elves raiding the coast and came upon the SI having already done so. Seeing unrighteous devilry he challenged the SI, who first tried to talk him down and then defeated him as gently as he could. Their next meeting was some time later, after he completed his Grail Quest and was depressed at finding the whole thing to be a charade. The SI gave him an impassioned lecture on virtue ethics and secular humanism and he grabbed onto it like a drowning man to a lifeline.
    The one thing I like about the End Times is that the Chaos Gods don't really care about the Warhammer setting. It's one planet. They've got billions of others.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  8. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Well, you've managed to make me care (a little) about the WHFB setting. Congrats!

'Healing' a skeleton up to a living body is really, really, impressive... Depending on how necromatically mangled the soul/spirit associated with the skeleton is then might even start imprinting stuff onto the brain... Toilet training, and eating food, drinking, would probably be a good thing to make early priorities... Unfortunately, those are mostly physical reflex level stuff, and 'higher' mental things, like dreams and memories are probably more likely, without external influence...

9. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

Should this not be followed?

Lotor, Hell's Razer, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

11. LiamOfOrmonde

LiamOfOrmonde Know what you're doing yet?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Marienburg is the ‘Dutch City State’ expy right? What’s wrong with Dutch schools?

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

I don't know. What is wrong with Dutch schools?

13. Mr Zoat

Just remembered: there are actually at least two cat women in Altdorf, were the SI inclined to head that way.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Can you give us the titles of the upcoming alternate chapters aside from the 40k one?

15. Mr Zoat

Um. There's only one more after 40k and I haven't named it yet. So no.

16. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Got to wonder if Paol has met either Teclis or Tyrion yet.

He'd certainly get along great with the High Loremaster, that goes without saying. Teclis' twin brother Tyrion on other hand... well, keeping a courteous and diplomatic attitude at all times will go a long ways.

Although I'm sure the Asur would be a concerned as to HOW a human managed to get some Druchii "pets" of his own. Usually it's the other way around.

DAT_NOOB and Cuchulin like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

No, neither.

18. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ah well, time enough for that in the future then.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So if there is only one then I guess that there is an yellow enlightened yellow ring wielding Paul?

20. Mr Zoat

You don't know that the 40k one didn't get the yellow ring.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think you said he had an orange one

22. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

I'm not familiar enough with them to know if they're even sane enough for the argument to hit, but I know Paul's argument to them would be along the lines of "In a world without the threat of extinction, power will inevitably consolidate into the hands of those who do not age"

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  23. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Zoat you forgot the bones are still dead, and you don't say anything about regenerating them, so they start to produce Bone Marrow again, and there was two other things they did that we need the bones 'alive'. Is that not something the Ring can do? Because without the bones being 'alive' that body is going to die and rot anyways.

Caerwen and DAT_NOOB like this.
  24. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I'm catching up on several days here, so please pardon me.

Apparently not in most superhero comics. Either that or it's a crime like oral sex in hotel rooms is a crime* in some places and isn't actually enforced very often. Or is only enforced when it's dramatically inconvenient for the protaganist.

* Yes, really. I once got bored and read that notice on the inside of the door in a hotel room. "It is unlawful to engage in oral sex in this room" was right above "It is unlawful to remove any articles from this room". It amuses me to think that they were more concerned about blowjobs than people stealing stuff from the room.

Nope ropes. (It's possible I don't like snakes.)

That's.....one way of looking at an oppressive police state held together by near-universal brainwashing of their citizens to follow what the leaders consider the greater good. Though, to be fair, they are by far the least evil faction in 40k. In that setting though "least evil" is a long stretch from "good".

I think you mean a WAAAGH! of a time.

Fun fact. Modern nukes have so many safeties built in that if you started beating one with a hammer you probably would disable it before it went off. Provided it wasn't armed, of course. And, also, attempting it is of course very much not recommended. Even if it doesn't explode you're in for a bad time if you manage to expose the core.

Yes, but when they die they have thousands of children (for a given value of "children"), so it all evens out.

Well. This Paul isn't ambitious at all, is he?

Question: I know that at some point in the cannon WHF and WH40k were in the same universe, just with WHF being cut off from the rest of the galaxy by a massive impassible warp storm. Is that the case here or are they separate universes?

Ghazhgul is insane due to having lost half his brain to a bolter shot at one point. Orks are just crazy enough to begin with that the insane ones look like visionaries.

25. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Can you explain what's up with those? I've never seen them mentioned before this thread.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

The SI did a lot of things, and only commented on the really visible stuff.
    My comment wasn't entirely serious.
    I prefer the earlier version of the tau, so that's what I'll be going with. I like tau being the equivalent of the humans in a Lovecraft story: basically decent and sensible people suddenly in way over their heads in confrontation with the true horrors of the universe. Read Fire Warrior if you want to see what they were like.
    Not for the individual ork. The person I was replying to suggested that if they had to go to 40k they'd pipck ork for their species.
    The SI doesn't know.
    No, that's all the detail Warhammer Armies: Dogs of War provides us.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Actually it's not, it was quietly retconned like a bunch of other stuff from the super early books.

The more you say the more it's obvious you are operating on information so out of date it's from a point in time where Squats were still canon.

Making that sort of claim when you haven't even read the relevant books is hilarious.

I think it's clear that until you actually update yourself we are done here.

28. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The point that is going over your head is that if Zoat isn't familiar with later Canon then it isn't going to be Canon for this fic. That applies to everything Zoat writes.

In the case of Warhammer stuff he stopped paying attention in the mid nineties, thus anything beyond that is entirely on the air and probably non Canon until demonstrated otherwise.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  29. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

How is this OL charging his ring?

30. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

It charges from ambient warp energy, no need for a lantern.

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.