1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. wichajster

wichajster Away

Yes, self-sustaining colonies outside Earth would reduce risk. But self-sustaining colonies are in the extreme future.

Note what kind of things you need to be self-sufficient! For example CPU foundry costs alone runs into billions (costs are not directly important, but it is good indication of complexity). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor_fabrication_plant

"Colony on Moon/Mars" is borderline absurdity, "profitable human settlement" may be impossible. "truly independent colony" is lets say a questionable content.

And while extrasolar travel is technically achievable (see Orion drive), estimates go like "50% of global economic output, for centuries, for a single one-way mission to the nearest star"...

Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  2. Omegastar

Omegastar may america not fall to the {censored}

...If you're an alcoholic how will the virus work on you? Will you be ok-ish or will it affect you all the same?

3. Derrandoo

Derrandoo Not too sore, are you?

Space stuff is pretty much a pipe dream.

Moon colony/Orbital stuff is the "reasonable" approach and would require trillions of dollars of dedicated investment over a long period of time.

Getting access to space resources won't work until we have a method of delivering them to Earth or an existing economy in Orbitals/Moon bases.

To put it really simply, there is no expectation of return on establishing space colonies or moon bases. They'll be hilariously massive money sinks, never return anything particularly useful to Earth and enrage any cost-cutting bureaucrat.

So we're stuck on Earth until we get to some one-world government that starts firing people into space with dedication to establishing human habitats no matter the cost.

4. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

First: ethanol (aka- drinkable alcohol) isn't a particularly strong form of alcohol... and the concentration which humans can survive is far too low to have any scientifically detectable impact on a viral infection. Seriously, a .08 blood-alcohol equals .08% alcohol concentration. Viruses might be weak to alcohol, but they're not that weak.

Comparatively, Isopropyl bottles are usually sold at about 70% concentration (or close to a thousand times more concentrated). Ethanol that concentrated is 140 proof, which *would* also be potent enough to kill most pathogens if used as a sanitizer. And also drop the unprepared on their asses after a couple shots.

In addition, most other alcohols are far more destructive than ethanol, which is why drinking them is less 'party time' and more 'funeral procession'.

Second: if it *did* have an effect, it would only be effective on infections which predominately reside in the bloodstream (and/or liver maybe?)... I'm pretty sure Wuhan Flu predominately infects lung tissue. If you imbibe enough alcohol to saturate your lungs... well, you're already dead... which I suppose is one way to cure the virus...

Third: significant alcohol consumption does hurt your immune system, which usually would make you more vulnerable to all forms of pathogens, though I'm unaware of any coronavirus-centered literature on that subject. But there are plenty of studies with more extreme immunodeficiencies and vulnerability to the common cold, which is close enough where I'm concerned.

TL;DR? Drinking alcohol ain't gonna help you avoid getting sick, and stands a good chance of making things worse for you.

5. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Alcohol will dry you out, which reduces the defenses of your upper-respiratory mucus membranes, and additionally the alcohol may influence you make unsanitary decisions, such as tongue-kissing the pizza delivery boy instead of tipping, or hosting a party for your frat-boy friends who just got back from partying in Florida, or forgetting to wash your hands.

It won't help, and it may hurt significantly.

6. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Not all of them. Also, plenty of viruses have nonhuman reservoirs (smallpox didn't, hence the eradication project).
    Yeah, with the caveats that it'd need to be a damned big rock (Chicxulub wouldn't cut it) and that aliens count as celestial.
    This is not relevant to species extinction.
    Nah, I'd bet on competition. The Cold War dick-measuring contest was what got us to the Moon.

7. zup

zup Experienced.

And now the restaurants are selling only take-away. So maintaining any kind of safety distance in the breakroom is impossible. This really was not thought through properly.

8. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Well, they pretty much let go all of their waitresses and waiters. At least the ones here said to try to file for unemployment because they don't know what the fuck is going on if they are going to get paid or not.

Ddmkm122, TanaNari and MerelysSoul like this.
  9. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

You don't actually need to get a CPU foundry there immediately for a colony to act as an insurance policy - modern CPUs while very nice are not actually necessary to support humans on another planet. They just have to be able to build one themselves given sufficient time.

Venus is the most hospitable and lowest-tech of the choices; the only real issue is that there's no easy source of metals there (plenty of carbon and power, though).

Also, the main issue with interstellar is not propulsion. The problem with interstellar is time. You get a totally self-sufficient space habitat plus a life-extended crew, and you can go anywhere in the galaxy via solar sail (and reasonably fast, too).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Xicree, Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  10. wichajster

wichajster Away

(sorry, forgot about rule 8)
    What kind of things your government is pushing taking COVID as a good pretext?

In Poland government tried to make easier for its electorate (old people) to vote by widespread postal voting, while not giving ability to use postal vote for others. Thankfully it was stopped for now in the upper house of parliament, but is still extremely concerning. I admit that I was not taking seriously all "PiS is threat to democracy" before (as vast majority of them were dubious and exaggerated). Maybe I should change my mind earlier.

And Hungary is doing very suspicious things.
    I wonder how likely is that they will keep it with Orban as king of Hungary.

Building one is also tricky at best. Managing to do this after collapse of Earth would be harder than doing it before. CPU foundry requires plenty of specialized electronics.

And it would be very likely that any problem/failure in any part of complex system (electronic production or whatever else) would soon start destructive cascade.

And in case of Earth it would be "just" economic & cultural collapse with massive deaths, on offworld colony it would mean that everybody died.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Ddmkm122, Imabot, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  11. cross_grave

cross_grave Belligerent Spitire

And they still refuse to postpone the fucking presidential election, last time I checked.

Ddmkm122, wichajster and MerelysSoul like this.
  12. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

To my understanding our government is mostly playing ball for now and sticking to non-politically-charged actions.

Depends on the colony. As I said, you can have a fairly low-tech colony on Venus (giant airtight balloon/lightweight structure filled with air, with everyone living inside the balloon and plants to make oxygen/food/wood from the CO2), although the gates out of the balloon would of course need to be maintained and any punctures repaired reasonably quickly (the air wouldn't rapidly escape as it would from a spacecraft, as pressure inside and outside would be equal, but diffusion through a large puncture would eventually cause CO2 poisoning and/or loss of buoyancy).

Ddmkm122, evildice and MerelysSoul like this.
  13. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

I'm pretty sure this falls under Rule 8.

14. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Definitely a topic we do not care to hear about here. Stick to be about the virus or else.

15. anhrefn

anhrefn Thou Shalt Enjoy NTR Gone for Good

All this covid shit shows how scary Panacea can be lol

16. Solvakian

Solvakian Versed in the lewd.

Well the school district my brother goes to push back their reopening to May, I wonder how there going to handle graduations in late May.

17. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

At least Betty White is safe.

MerelysSoul and Ddmkm122 like this.
  18. Ghost Fabric

Ghost Fabric Getting some practice in, huh?

Hello everyone! I'm not a clinician, but I'm a front line healthcare worker and work in a clinic at the moment. I work very closely with the clinical staff and I've had to get a lot more training around the pandemic due to necessity, as well as having access to some extent to live updates that clinicians receive as information related to caring for their patients during this time.

I'm more than happy to answer some questions/give reassurances where I am able to, as well as dismiss some myths around it. Please feel free to ask anything! I'm here to try and be helpful around the matter.

If there's a question I don't know, I'll be more than happy to ask the clinicians at my work and try to get back to you.

COVID-19 is a very grave matter, yes, but it's something we should be dialectical about, not panic over. Panic is understandable, but not entirely helpful when it comes to being effective.
    While skepticism is healthy in doses and conspiracies can be fun, falling to the side of peddling potentially harmful information without thought is not helpful to the general public.

Disclaimer: Some specific details I obviously can't give. Obviously, I am NOT a doctor and you shouldn't take what I say as replacement for medical advice from a proper doctor. If you ask me for very specific medical advice, I will tell you to talk to your own GP. Also bear in mind that information is always changing and updating, so answers will only apply to what is there at the time. Please do your own reading and research into credible resources as well. Just like any other human being, I'm fallible and there are things I genuinely don't know.

(A mod can verify my claims here about my work. I do have proof, I'd just rather not get doxxed.)

me-meboi, Xicree, Ddmkm122 and 12 others like this.
  19. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Verified.

me-meboi, Xicree, Ddmkm122 and 3 others like this.
  20. defenestrator

defenestrator I clearly do not know where the happy button is

Thank you for what you do.

Do most asymptomatic carriers remain that way until they get rid of the virus, or does a significant percent of them develop symptoms after a while? If it's the latter, do the symptoms escalate really fast?

21. Ghost Fabric

Good questions. I'll double-check this with my more clinically trained coworkers in the morning with a bit more information and update this post since this is a developing subject. I'll see if I get any new updates on the matter as well.

In the meantime, from the top of my head, a significant portion (if not - all, to be honest) should develop symptoms within/after 14 days. While triaging patients for testing the week before, I haven't been given any information or clinical guidelines to expect asymptomatic carriers to stay that way for the entire duration of the disease, apart from maybe that a certain portion of people may experience extremely mild symptoms that they could feel like they're pretty much asymptomatic. Someone did experience a loss of sense of taste and smell long before anything else, so it became one of the more interesting questions I had to ask while screening. Carriers can usually be asymptomatic for up to 14 days, with exceptions to a few interesting anomalies in longer incubation periods recorded in other parts of the world, but I haven't experienced any here at my work. The cases I've seen so far appear to experience something, even if it's mild, by around day 5-ish.

As for how fast symptoms escalate? It really depends on the person, their age and what pre-existing conditions they have, not necessarily how they remain asymptomatic for. Length of time being an asymptomatic carrier doesn't appear to be a major factor that's being looked at all that much at the moment, since the other factors listed above appear to be the main influences on the escalation to severity so far.

(Please allow me to keep you posted and update this post tomorrow.)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Yuhabahha, me-meboi, Ddmkm122 and 5 others like this.
  22. wichajster

wichajster Away

There were some reports/claims about lasting damage caused by COVID-19 infections, with reports claiming that it was common for SARS survivors.

Is it true that some/many people who went through this will have log-term damage for example to lungs?

Is rate of long-term damage higher or roughly similar as for other similar diseases?

Is it likely that someone within 25-45 age bracket will get infected and end with noticeable long-term damage?

---------

I am assuming that I am more likely to be seriously infected, but long-term damage is similar to other infections. Healthy adult is now far more likely to end with serious infection than in an usual year, but as base rate is low it is still not very likely.

me-meboi, Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  23. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

What are the chances for someone over 65 but under 70, female, with slight hypertension, non smoker, no obesity problems, to develop a critical condition? Would that happen in the majority of cases for that bracket or it would not?

24. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

The data we have is nowhere near fine-grained or complete enough to meaningfully let us answer this question.

25. Railhazar

Railhazar I trust you know where the happy button is?

Indeed, all you can do is hazarding a guess. We have yet to have enought data to give an accurate or relevant answer.

Even if we had, you could be an outlaying case. Statistics are funny like that, they do not deal with absolute.

They can only give you an estimation.

26. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

Three months this thing's been rampaging around the whole world and they still can't make calculations...

Well. I guess maybe in forty years, when most of us are dead already, they might give us a proper assesment then.

27. Nickballas

Nickballas I wish I had more Pride.

That seems overtly pessimistic.

Ddmkm122, Imabot, MerelysSoul and 2 others like this.
  28. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Three months is *nothing*, this sort of data compilation will require years. Hell, it takes somewhere between six months to a year before localized disasters can be fully assessed... a planet-wide disaster like this one is going to take a while to work through.

Especially when certain countries are blatantly lying about their numbers, nobody has the resources to track every case, and some of the numbers we are getting make it look like this disease might have infected three or four times more people than anyone's realized, but a good chunk of people never experience much worse than a cough.

Either that, or tests are putting out massive numbers of false positives.

At this point, I wouldn't want to bet money on either possibility. But there's clearly something weird going on here.

Point is, we'll be here a minute before this one's sorted out.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  29. Ghost Fabric

3 months is an extremely short time span to be judging - in fact, our scientific progressions have been quite amazing in such a short span of time. I don't think such pessimism is warranted.

(I'll answer the rest of the posts when I get home.)

A lot of us are working in overdrive here, all the medical laboratory scientists, clinicians-- we're trying our absolute hardest and everything we could.

I will say this too because it's important to be mindful of: In this unprecedented situation, large-scale generalised blame is not helpful. Criticisms, yes, to certain small groups of people who have worsened the situation and made it hard for everybody else, but pointing fingers at general large populations who have otherwise only mostly suffered and had little control over the situation is unhelpful.

me-meboi, Ddmkm122, Jiven and 6 others like this.
  30. Derrandoo

Derrandoo Not too sore, are you?

We're not getting an accurate corona deathcount for years, it would hurt the legitimacy of government and every Western nation has managed to undertest significantly.

We're going to end up in a Hurricane Maria+Puerto Rico situation, where the "official death toll" makes the news and spends the next few years getting adjusted upwards after everyone stops paying attention.