1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

With this latest chapter, I just realize something that would very much be a Zoat thing to do. There is no crossover. Grayven escaped because this is just Zoat's way to cut off the story threads he doesn't want to keep writing. Paragon will probably also escape the hand.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Really hoping that there is going to be a chapter or two that looks into the life of Common Sense Paul this episode.

I would really like to see his relationship with Paula and also how Artemis and Jade deal with it:D
    Especially Jade seeing as she tongued him once:D

But also how he deals with the Light, especially Luthor

Lupercal likes this.
  3. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

He is a pretty good Paul but I'm still worried that he hasn't found out the actual effect of the Sword.

4. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

My thinking is that all the rings were the same ring, but some of them got retconned by the trip through the Bleed that forked Paul Prime into all the other Pauls.

Diraniola likes this.
  5. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

He actually did, did you miss the chapter when he found human Klarion?

Ardy, True Ninja, Jaron and 2 others like this.
  6. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Giant Hand comes smashing through the ceiling.

Grayven cuts it with the Sword of the Fallen. "HANDS MOTHERFUCKER, IS THEY CLEAN?"

Doccer, Cuchulin, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  7. Norgarth

Norgarth Making the rounds.

Iiiinteresting :) I wonder if this means the 2 main Pauls are going to meet? I suspect they would each have some commentary for the other's life choices.

Palvos) "You're masquerading as a Prince of Apocalypse?!?"
    Grayven) "You merged with the Ophidian?!?"
    Both) "Are you bloody mad?"

[​IMG]
    more seriously, it seems to be the same being that's been grabbing alternate Pauls and Jades from across the DC multiverse

If time travel doesn't make your head hurt, then you don't really understand what's going on.:p

Except there's nothing actually forcing to go back to those alt-Pauls excepta desire to write more about them. If he didn't want to write about them, then we simply wouldn't see anymore of them.

DrThoth, Doccer, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  8. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

I just really want to see Renegade and Paragon meet at this point, it would be completely hilarious.

DrThoth, Ardy, Darko and 2 others like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Pretty sure that Zoat said they may not meet, but either he was lying or changed his mind.

Granted paragon can meet the other Paul's, just not renegade.

thebishop8 and Lupercal like this.
  10. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Giant blue hand is obviously Doctor Manhattan? :)

(This is a version that has nothing to do with New 52, of course.)

He is obviously doing this as part of his research into why he has fleeting (future?) memories of being a blue pony. :)

(One interesting question is what sort of targetting the abductors are using - what is it based on if it can grab a Clayface, but is good enough to go for Grayven while he's a pony?)

As far as different SI meeting - one probably best avoided is OL and anti-matter OL. :)

11. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Like...I would legit be terrified at the idea that a version of me was off kidnapping other versions of me to try and force them into some sort of plan.

Because any version of me should know that, that shit dont' fly. Like....the level of "fuck you" violence that would occur would be staggering.

A me trying to force another me to do his bidding? Are you insane, Me?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Either the one taking them is desperate enough, or thinks he can take them on if they resist.
    Finger meets Sword not withstanding.

If anyone wants to read a fic where the Isekai thing fails on the one doing it I recommend reading theirishdreamers Traveling Merchant on SB. There the mc is summoned to help those people that suumoned the JL in the animated show deal with the invading army and sorcerer.

Does not work out for the witch, her father, or their society if the POV from that ork after the mc is banished is any indication.

13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

His stuff, save for the Ork one, is crossover overdosed, making it an awful read if you do not care about the crossover parts.

14. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

That was renegade. Pretty sure paragon still has no idea... but I'm not sure his targets with the sword were all that common either.

zerofarad and Ardy like this.
  15. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Are you sure? Because I am quite sure he found human Klarion.

And Grayven actually used the sword way more than Paragon.

zerofarad and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Paragon knows... There was a whole episode with that being a central element... Noriel the angel.

Darko and Ardy like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paragon used the Sword on the First, Noriel and Zauriel.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  18. Threadmarks: Repetition (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

2nd April 2012
    09:12 GMT -5

Ghia'ta limply raises her left hand, and wafts of orange mist drift from my borrowed ring.

"It's.. a start. How does it feel?"

She drops her hand and the mist vanishes at once.

"I feel as if Queen Aga'po may appear at any moment to lecture me for this misdeed."

"I mean, in yourself."

"It isn't… I don't think that it really… Fits me."

"Ghia'ta." I lean closer. "It's just you and me. Your ring isn't reporting on your actions because you're not wearing it. It's okay to want things for yourself."

"I am aware of that; it is the exclusion of other feelings that feels unnatural to me." She takes it off and holds it out to me. "I doubt that you could change to using a violet ring any easier-"

I'm already pulling my rings off my fingers.

"-than I can-."

"Pass it over, then."

She blinks. And while that could be because since neither of us are wearing rings she's hearing me in English for the first time, I suspect that it's due to surprise. I haven't bothered ritualistically removing my ring for a while and she might well have assumed that I simply didn't take it off.

"Pass it-? You intend to use it?"

"Don’t know. I haven't ever tried using another colour ring before." I shrug. "But I wasn't born as an enlightened avarice mystic. I know the theory, and perhaps I'll be able to help you better if I know what you're used to working with." I shrug, shaking my head. "You don't have to of course, but we know that humans as a species can use violet rings without deleterious mental effects…"

"You haven't tried a green ring?"

"No. I asked Guy once and he looked at me as if I'd asked to borrow his testicles. Offered him my ring in return and he jerked his hand back." I shrug. "I could ask Alan, but I didn't want to risk his health."

"I don't have a spare ring." She picks her ring up from the side table and awkwardly holds it out to me. "Please, be careful with it."

No, not picking it up. Let's see. I wonder what Jade's doing right now?

The ring rises unsteadily from Ghia'ta's hand and floats onto my right ring finger. Heh, well, eventually, but I wouldn't want Jade to get the wrong idea.

Now…

I flex my right hand, trying to see how the violet version of the environmental shield responds. It doesn't feel as natural as the orange light, but that's.. probably just me.

Jade would hate me giving up a weapon like this.

Glowing crystalline construct-armour covers my body as I rise into the air.

"See? It's not so bad."

Ghia'ta stares. Then she gets up and walks around me, still staring.

Ghia'ta-.

I frown. Wait, what?

Glowing crystalline construct-armour covers my body as I rise into the air.

"I don't have a spare ring." She picks her ring up from the side table-.

No, no, what?

I walk into the briefing room for my meeting with Ghia'ta, and I see that I'm already there.

"No. I asked Guy once and he looked at me as if I'd asked to borrow his testicles."

Time-? No, I didn't see this. Which could mean that this is an 'I hate temporal mechanics' situation, but I'm pretty sure-.

"Orange Lantern, we need-"

There's a figure in a purple robe standing a short distance from me. I don't seem to be able to move.

Jade hates people controlling her, too.

"-to leave at once-."

SomethingShatters, and I regain control of myself.

"What-?"

A violet repto-insectoid claw grips the figure around the chest and slams it into the wall-.

A violet repto-insectoid claw grips-.

A violet repto-insectoid claw tries to grip, but I misjudged the distance and it misses.

No, wait, I didn't. That just-.

"What you are experiencing is temporal dislocation. I'm using it to hide us. Anyone looking into this timeline from outside will see the future you, rather than the you whose timeline you are now living."

"I… Recognise you. We haven't met-."

"No. We have, but the event was erased from your personal timeline. You're remembering it because I'm partially removing you from the normal flow of time. Please don't attack me again, I don't have a great deal of leeway and our need is great."

"'Our' need?"

"The fallen Guardian Krona is abducting versions of you from alternate parallel universes and discontinued timelines in order to pry apart the universe at a fundamental level. I was only just able to escape." He pauses. "Do you know who I am?"

"The Time Trapper. I'm not exactly sure what that entails."

"It means that I tried to manipulate time in an unwise way, and was rendered outside it for my hubris. I have my own reasons for stopping Krona, quite aside from what he did to me in order to put his insane scheme into action. Come."

He turns and walks away.

"We will need to travel. I need you for your power and connection to your parallel alternate selves."

"Can I pick up my rings first?"

The Time Trapper pauses, then the hood glances back at me.

"You don't have your ring?"

"No, I have Ghia'ta's ring which I used for the first time a few seconds ago. My rings are back in there."

He stares at me, then lets out a peal of pained laughter.

"Of course they are. And no, you can't. He's almost certainly watching for us. I can't risk breaking cover." He turns away again and continues down the corridor. "I hope that you're a quick learner, for all our sakes."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  19. SemiAnarchist

SemiAnarchist Versed in the lewd.

So once this is all done, is Paul going to pop back to when he was, with apparent mastery of his new ring? Ghia'ta might be in for a bit of a shock.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'neither of us' not 'either of us'

'a short distance' not 'a shirt distance'

So I was right it will have time travel and Krona.

21. cerberus beasty

cerberus beasty Making the rounds.

showing up at the perfectly wrong moment, obviously a setup.

22. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Ha! I knew it was going to be a violet ring!

23. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Well fuck, no armour, no crumblers, no mage slayers.

None of his inventory, nothing from his database.

24. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Can’t Paul merge with the Ophidian without his ring? He could then simply fabricate a lamp and ring for himself, along with his other equipment.

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Oh, typical. This is a twist truly worthy of comic-canon.

I wonder if Paul will now crush on all the other entities other-Pauls crushed on.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't know if Paul is capable of making a ring.

He was able to make a lantern, but it was a poor piece of work.

Lupercal likes this.
  27. Vhostym

Vhostym Making the rounds.

Well, I suppose you can't critique Krona about not having good timing, because if there were to be a time to attempt to nab Illustres Paul, it would be now.

I do have to say that I love how we're seeing more from the original universe now. Normally I vacillate between being enjoying and being lukewarm about the Grayven arcs, but the pony arc was something I thought outstayed its welcome. Not necessarily due to any part of it but the very awkward whirlwind romance with Luna, but mostly because I never watched MLP and so all the references go right over my head and failed to engage me like the rest of the story has. That said, it's nice to see things payoff and I like how we're moving into a crossover arc!

28. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Man, thats a good start to a arc. Also evil to poor Paul. No subspace pocket to use, poor thing.

Its always nice to see how many ways you can disable Paul right before he starts a fight/arc. It hasn't happened in a while, but I didn't expect it for THIS arc.

29. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ooooo, this makes sense when you remember that Krona knew about Hinon chucking an orange ring into the bleed. He must have figured that multiple versions of it would pop out in multiple universes, and thus give him the hooks he'd need to shred the multiverse.

Being enlightened, OL is immune from the violet ring fucking him up, but he'd have to master his new ring before he could create a lantern to charge it with.

30. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Change "going" to "doing".

Change "weapons" to "weapon".

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020