1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

from what i remember, i thinkthe entire point of that storyline/retcon that he actually WASN'T-
    he essentially had his brain borderline cooked inside his skull by one of the "good" guys in a horrific ethics violation because attempting (and failing -just- enough to conveniently turn them into an idiot who spends decades humiliating themselves by being too stupid to be a competent villain instead of outright "Rosemary Kennedy-ing" them") to reduce someone to a drooling mess that constantly shits themselves via a gross abuse of psionic powers (and promptly do the exact fucking same thingto Bruce Wayne after he, quite reasonably, attempted to STOP them crossing the mind-rape event horizon, albiet with a tad more subtlty) is "better" then killing them after a really..distasteful incident involving rape, i think?

......*grumbles* its like the writers were trying to compete with the Spectre's repeated crimes against sentience in the "fucked up" department...

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  2. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

Considering the time difference, I believe you meant GMT +5.

Hell's Razer and Mr Zoat like this.
  3. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

People STILL shoot at Superman.

4. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

I hope it’s the Sybarit (the Paul who date that women controlling the Meta fighting pit) i had a great laugh with him.

5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Should be either a comma or a colon.

Usually "Beast Boy"

Is this grammar jail? It's certainly a correctional facility.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I was referring to the version in the Teen Titans animated series.

Bruce just forgot a couple of minutes, though as an unintended side effect he remembered that something was wrong and became a little more paranoid without ever knowing why.
    +9 actually, but thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.
    He's never seen it written down.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat what gods are renegade Kon and Match worshiping, or at least acknowledge as their own, since they were adopted by Diana?

Is paragon Match going to, or at least considering, starting worshiping a god like Helios, seeing as his brother seems to get several benefits from it, plus the angel invasion may have left him wary of the Silver City, I know he is still getting used to a lot of things but I was just curious?

8. Mr Zoat

Athena is their primary god.
    Match hasn't yet decided that he wants to get involved in heroing, and so isn't seeking the best buffs. I imagine that he's taking a bunt on theology at the moment.

Ngamer11, Ardy, Bramble Thorn and 6 others like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Anyone wanna bet what renegade had to say about Athena and her supposed wisdom when he heard what god his friends were worshiping:cool:

Well wisdom is nice and all, though I'm not sure if she would literary give them supernatural wisdom, or if they're just following her teachings, unlike Helios who literary gave Kon a buff in the power area.

Even if Match doesn't get involved in heroing he can still worship Helios so that he can get himself a place in Erebos when he dies, just in case.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    DrThoth and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I am reminded of a Ancient Greek fable I once read about four wise men on a journey to become the chief advisor of a king. They were arguing over who was the most qualified when they came across a skeleton and agreed to use it to determine who was the best. The first guy put all the bones back together, the second guy restored all it's flesh showing it to have been a lion and then the third guy said 'hold my beer dudes! I'm going to bring this thing back to life'. Meanwhile the fourth guy who had been looked down on by the rest for only having common sense had climbed up a tree and so was the only one of them who wasn't killed by the lion.
    The moral being wisdom, especially supernatural wisdom is nice. But it's better to have common sense.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  11. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Unfortunately only one character in With This Ring has that power (it's his key defining trait, no less), and he might very well show up soon.

Bringing up the Greek gods and Themyscira again, what's happening with Renegade-timeline Cassandra Sandsmark? I don't remember Renegade ever telling Wonder Woman about it, though he may well have and I missed it. (Now if he follows that questline, he could possibly get Hera as a potential romantic partner, which would have a lot of potential, in all kinds of ways...).

Darko, infinityDivided and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Cuchulin

But Pavols/Paragon was in this and he generally shows more common sense than most other Super powered people.

Istaran, Darko and DrThoth like this.
  13. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Probably the same as in canon since the SI didn't interact with her.

DrThoth likes this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Does anyone remember if renegade told Diana about Cassandra Sandsmark or not?

I remember him going to the island, but I don't think she was mentioned.

DrThoth and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes... Because puns aside he's totally a putz...

Cuchulin, Darko and Lupercal like this.
  16. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Mr Zoat, as you may be aware, I have been going through the Story Only thread in this time of boredom, and I can confirm that Paul actually has not given up his second orange ring. I have reached the first snippet of ‘Equestrian Girls’, and if I remember correctly, Paul does not hand over his ring in the last two episodes.

We have the moon training episode, at the end of which Paul gives one of his three rings to Ghia’ta, then we have the League war game, then Overgirl shows up, then the Brazilian/Hugo Danner arc takes place, with a few minor stops on the way, such as supplying Dr Crane with Melinoë’s mind juice thingy. (I can’t be arsed to check if I’m getting the accent right) Then we have the conclusion of Sunset’s current story arc, with a few other universes sprinkled in.

I’m sorry to bring this up again, but well, a simple line or two next snippet should take care of it.

Oh man. I think With This Ring is about to get it’s first retcon because the writer missed something. This really is a superhero story.

Xaliuss, Lupercal, Darko and 3 others like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Yes, I accepted that I made a mistake about that around a week ago. Thank you for double checking, though.

Gantradies, Ngamer11, Xaliuss and 7 others like this.
  18. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I was about three pages in from the start of the episode to check if the issue was definitively resolved or not, but I decided it was too much effort, so my apologies. I’ve been awake for nigh on 36 hours now but somehow sleep still eludes me.

Darko likes this.
  19. WorstMirari

WorstMirari the girl in blue

I'dve?
    errr, idk where exactly the apostrophe goes, but the tense is wrong

Mr Zoat likes this.
  20. Crissart

Crissart Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

How old (actual and apparent age) is Komand'r? And how old (actual and apparent age) is Raul?

If memory server Koriand'r looked like a fourteen year old and if Komand'r is her twin, this seems too close to pedophilia for Paul.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

That was the subject matter of one of Raul mini updates... I think you either missed it or you forgot.

Darko, infinityDivided and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Cuchulin

Meh. I just want Paragon to play Love Guru and help Star catch her little Dicky Bird. He is kind of a Star Sapphire right now after all.

Ngamer11, Darko and dogbertcarroll like this.
  23. Umbrella_merc

Umbrella_merc Know what you're doing yet?

I don't remember that one, do you know what episode that snippet is in?

24. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

You have to ask someone else or Zoat.

It happened after Zoat moved to this forum, but the exact episode I couldn't say for sure.

Umbrella_merc likes this.
  25. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

26. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

So Mr Zoat, do Red Power Rings have shit AI support because Lord Atrocitus pulled a Ganthet to gimp them on purpose? Or because he was a clerical worker he doesn't now how to program the Rings and just makes them viva copy-blood-rage-magic-ritual thingy so they're messed up at standard settings?

27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I think it’s more that orange rings have exceptional AI, while red rings are canonically more designed for very simple usage - they’re point and shoot strong but simple construct on instinct - AIs get in the way of direct confrontation by being an intermediary if they are interactive, as opposed to Orange’s clever but weak usage, which depends a lot on AI, or Green’s mix of having relatively decent constructs and a decent AI. The red lantern AI still seems to translate languages and announce when it takes on a host / user.

28. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Every Power Ring in this story (save Alan's buster ring and debateably Larfleeze!Ring) have had functioning, talking AI that make sense when giving information. (If it's designed with it.) Then the Red Ring in the Teen Titan universe just yell/groans/moans unintelligible.

The AI support for each type of Power Ring should be the same since the Ring is just acting as a computer. The power source Color affects the tone/way that it's expressed but only the Red Ring has been stupid about it so far.

Is it because Teen Titans is a more comic-book-y universe than the Young Justice Universe 16?

Edit: Trade off of AI vs Power doesn't make sense at all. And isn't prevelent to this story.

Gantradies, True Ninja and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Sort of the second. It would be hard to program the ring to do sophisticated things due to how he makes them, but it could be done.

30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Green Lantern AI is seemingly not capable of helping with complex constructs. Orange Lantern AI is designed to allow creation and replication of complex machinery by helping the user visualizase a thing. It can also interface with the user’s brain to slow down time apparently. Orange AI is therefore better than green. Red Lantern AI offering less combat support than it does for green makes sense in that it helps encourage a more direct approach. Also, it still seemingly does translation to alien languages, so it has some fairly complex functions. For all we know, that’s an alien language the ring is using to communicate only with the user/ red corps as a security measure.