1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

I see what you did there.

2. Jurily

Jurily Getting out there.

Given Perdition, Gray Boy and second trigger Lisa, surely there was at least one time/postcog shard that could've restored Taylor and Amelia's backups at least?

Snake/Eater, TanaNari and Divabot like this.
  3. Chulup

Chulup Know what you're doing yet?

Lisa finally got common sense and realized that Avalon removed backups on purpose so she refused to participate in cloning fourth copy of her long died friend.

4. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Remember, before posting any theory that lets them resurrect Taylor and Amelia, ask yourself one question:

"Is this method even more bullshit than a fully empowered Entity that doesn't want it to happen?"

The answer to your question is "no".

5. Fouredged

Fouredged Experienced.

Rapture
    "Clarice, calm down and explain what happened. Why are you so upset?"

Clarice
    "But.. but... but... I just want my sister back. I don't know why this keeps happening. I checked and double checked. I set up an isolated system to ensure nothing could tamper! I tried everything I could. Nothing worked! It kept happening. I don't even understand!"

Rapture
    "Calm down, maybe I can help. Explain what happens exactly."

Clarice
    "Every time I try to bring her back, HE shows up. Why does it always clone Rick Astley? This doesn't even make sense!"

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  6. Threadmarks: Amelia: Final Epilogue, Taylia Rose
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Final Epilogue- Taylia Rose

I always knew Victoria and Michael weren't my biological parents. They never made me call them mom or dad, though they raised me as their own while doing all the many tasks of running the multiworld empire I would one day inherit. Still, I considered them my Mom and Dad in every way that mattered. I had a lot of parents, if I thought about it. My real mothers were the stuff of legend, sacrificing their lives to stop the most powerful being in the world from destroying it. An event that happened a year before my birth. Yay for the biotechnology that allowed my conception and birth.

I was more than vaguely aware that most of the known universe considered that kind of technology to be science fiction at the time of my birth, and even now it was likely most people my age would never live long enough to see a relative benefit from such technology. I hoped that didn't make me out of touch with the real world. There were so many things in my life that so many people simply did not have. Auntie Clarice and Aunt Vicky always argued over what was best for me in that regard.

Vicky believed in embracing the many privileges of life, if in a tasteful way. She wouldn't allow me to become spoiled or lazy, but she was more than happy to enjoy high fashion and high art and wanted me to be grateful for the opportunities I had. Not enjoying them would be ungrateful. Uncle Mike tempered that a bit, but he mostly let Vicky have her way. By the time I was ten years old, I had seen Paris on four worlds, I was well versed in the great artists, I'd had dinners with more heads of state than existed on any single world, and I suspected Mom was playing matchmaker for my romantic future before I was out of diapers.

Clarice argued quite differently. My mothers came from simple beginnings, and part of what made them great leaders is that they were normal people who understood the fears and problems that normal people faced. She made sure I got plenty of normalcy, if you could call it that. Auntie Clarice was far less normal than Vicky. To start with, having a husband and a wife? Yeah, I wasn't so out of touch to think that was a common practice. And classic movies, going to plays instead of movies, and camping trips in rainforests... I assumed that was not normal.

The one thing they agreed on was that I didn't get to be spoiled. I couldn't remember an age when I didn't go to the meetings with the various world leaders. I couldn't imagine a world where 'good enough' was actually good enough. By the time I was five, I was reading military strategy and world history. By the time I was ten, Vicky was the only combat instructor that wasn't afraid of me. Vicky often told me that I got Taylor's intensity.

During that time, I'd slowly become Empress in all but name. While Mom and Dad were still regents until my sixteenth birthday, they'd stepped back to the same role that Eve, Clarice and Colin served, advising me on my decisions. Of those, Colin was the hardest for me to understand. I was twelve when I confronted the man.

I'd waited until catching him alone in the labs. In later years, I would come to recognize how bizarre it was that our capital consisted mainly of research labs and engineering facilities. This revelation only caused me to worry for other nations. My mothers understood, even at a young age, that science and technology were the key to prosperity for a people. Part of why Avalon's education system was always so rigorous.

"Mister Wallis?" My voice was no nonsense, as always when I talked to him. He seemed to prefer it that way.

"Yes, Miss Hebert?" His body language spoke of someone who was tired, like so many others that had survived the Golden Dawn. A lot of the survivors, especially the ones who fought on the front lines, didn't talk much about their experiences.

"Why do you always look so sad?" I would get my answers from the one man I trusted not to lie to me.

He hesitated for a moment. "I hadn't realized I gave that impression. I'll endeavor to keep tighter control of my emotions in the future."

Well, he wouldn't be hard to figure out if he wasn't so goddamn hard to figure out. "That's not what I mean. I know you're one of the survivors of the battle against Scion. I want to know, is that why you're always so sad?"

"If you want answers to those questions, ask the others. They were there, too."

I regarded him for a minute. "It's your pain I'm asking about, not theirs. It's not healthy to bottle it in like that."

He shook his head. "You remind me of your mother."

I smiled. "I hear that a lot." It usually means I am about to get what I want. "Which one, this time?"

"Amelia. She was always the empathetic one. Taylor was never very good at that, even when she tried to fake it." He paused for a moment, in thought. There is history there, between him and Taylor. Something deep seated, a level of guilt.

I ignored the implication that he suspected I was faking my concern, instead studying the crow's feet around his eyes. "I can't trust any of them to tell me the truth. Mom and the others either only talked about the epic battles or the sacrifice my mothers made. They always gloss over the ugly parts. The war itself, and what it did to people. The ones that still haven't seemed to heal from the trauma."

"That's what war is, Taylia. Everyone loses something. Some lose everything. May you never have to experience that."

I didn't understand what he meant, not then. Later would be a different story. "I take it you think of yourself as one of the ones who lost everything."

He looked up and slowly exhaled. "The only person who ever loved me. You'll never have that problem, you have the universe's most dedicated extended family. I don't mean to sount resentful, I'm not. You have quite the legacy to live up to, after all."​

Avalon enjoyed a period of relative peace in those times. The United Worlds found itself concerned mainly with socio-political issues of attempting to blend such similar nations together and manage the colony programs. As the only nation capable of interdimensional gateway technology, and the only one lacking strong ties with any nation or world, Avalon was at the forefront this new breed of expansionism, encouraging trade and economic interconnectivity. It turned out that most nations of most worlds, if given the opportunity, would much prefer making money to making war.

Until we opened the gate to Earth Mem, with their Sapphire Empress. She was an incredibly powerful Alexandria package cape, with remarkable Master and Thinker powers to back her up. In the twenty years she had her powers, she managed to subjugate a nuclear technology level Earth. She was less than enthused about an empire greater than her own, and less than impressed with the not quite fifteen year old that ruled it.

That would be my first taste of war, when she led an invasion directly against Avalon. It lasted less than a full hour before their armies were driven back. It marked me for the rest of my life. The battlefields, the lives lost, the unadulterated waste of it all. It wasn't the death that hit me, not really. It wasn't even the violence or that there were people evil enough to send a million of their own loyal subjects to die in a senseless waste of life without apology or remorse. What really made the horror hit home was that those million people did so willingly. That they could devote their lives to such monsters, that... I had my own Trigger event, three days before fifteenth birthday.

"This is the part where you're supposed to watch Scion and Heiress mating."

"We... decided to censor that, since you're not going to forget this... and with the power you're about to get, you'll understand the Cycle better than pretty much any human being possibly could."

I know those voices. I've seen their speeches a million times, memorized their faces. "Mother?"

"No, a recording of sorts." Taylor's voice. She was the more mas- "And please don't assign male gender pronouns to me in an attempt to make sorting us out easier. I'm sure I won't care anymore by the time you get this message, but I still care right now."

My mothers manifested in front of me. Their faces were clearly defined, and I could see what I inherited from both. Taylor's rich dark hair, though not as curly. I got wavy hair instead. I could tell I'd have her height, even if I wasn't there yet. The rounder face and spattering of freckles from Amelia.

Below the neck, my mothers were poorly defined, blurred outfits of blue and green, I could barely tell they were holding hands. A flicker of recognition. They chose to leave a Trigger recording while wearing their wedding dresses?

Amelia spoke, her voice soft. "We just wanted a chance to tell you we loved you, in our own voices. We always have. Before you were born, or even conceived, we loved you."

Taylor was next. "We did. We loved you so much. We talked about you, so many times before you were born. We swore to each other that the first thing that would happen after Scion's destruction would be you. Worried and prayed that we'd be good mothers. I guess we'll never know, now."

Amelia took over again. I've seen them do this in so many of their interviews and speeches. I'd so often wondered if that was something they rehearsed, but somehow I just knew now that it was genuine. This is natural to them. "We have a responsibility to the universe. Scion wasn't the only of his kind. There are billions, perhaps trillions of others like him in the universe, spreading. They will destroy everything if no one stops them. Tell Eve to access the files on The Culling, Ascended Pairbonds, and The Avatar. You're the only one who can authorize it."

"It answers the basics of everything we learned. What we've become, what we plan to do. We wanted you to have a normal childhood."

Amelia shook her head. "Or at least a happy one. Normal was never really an option."

"Well, yeah. A happy childhood. No sense in laying this burden at your feet. It's still not your burden. Unless we fail, then it will be on you and all the others we've left behind. Eve, especially, will be key to this future."​

I snapped out of my vision with tears in my eyes, and a complete understanding of how my powers worked. My mothers gave me the exact tool I'd need in every situation, but not nearly so much power that I could do win without working for it.

My first act as a parahuman was to challenge the Sapphire Empress to battle. She never stood a chance. I was a power imitating Trump. Anyone who fought against me would find that I possessed all their powers, and understood how they worked as well as they did. Coupled with my natural physical and mental abilities, and a small amount of help from Avalon's wide array of weaponry, I could answer any threat both direct or indirect.

Much like Taylor, I defeated my first top tier parahuman at fifteen years old.

Unlike her, there weren't a lot of opportunities for me to do that again in the future. Unless daily training sessions with Victoria counted.

The absurdity of Avalon's weaponry, the revelation that I had powers on par with my mothers, was enough to warn off anyone that might have considered making themselves a problem. With exception to a handful of Masters and Strangers that believed themselves outside the capacity of my powers to beat. I even managed to hide my low end telepathic abilities and the fact that I had the ability to control my mothers' zerg if I needed to. We'd found a few capes that had the ability to command a handful at a time over the years, but I had access to all of them.

The next major event in my life happened when I was almost twenty eight years old. The body of a Scion Type Entity appeared in the skies over our devastated world of Wruenelle. Alerts sounded and Eve's satellites, in multiple realities, turned and primed to attack.

A woman's face appeared on our screens. "Good day, daughter. I see you've done well for yourself."

"Mom?" Eve asked.

That would mean. "Dragon?"

"Correct. And you would be the daughter of Amelia and Taylor?"

"Yes."

"We have a great deal to talk about, then."​

Colin and Dragon became the second Pairbond to ascend. The first time I ever saw the man smile, was the moment he was melded with the Avatar Body, a mimic of the original Scion body, built through the knowledge that my mothers had provided. The ability, should a hostile Entity ever target earth, to functionally allow a human to gain their powers. Or, in this case, the powers of a peaceful, cooperating, Entity.

Over the next three hundred years, I would meet and say goodbye to many new Pairbonds, joining the remnants of the Entities- the first three, and several others that would sporadically appear over Wruenelle as time went on to form more of the Taylia type Entities, as bizarre as it was to hear my name used as the reference of the phenomena. Each dead Scion Type had enough mass to be sorted into six or seven Taylia types, depending on factors only the Entities themselves could understand.

Some chose to Ascend immediately. Victoria and Micheal would be the third pair to take to the stars. Along with many of the others who fought alongside my mothers. Weld and Sveta. Zach and Emma. Others waited, allowed themselves to die naturally without intent to be restored. Lily and Sabah. Lisa and Rebecca. Hellena and Cambria, from Earth Dalet. Dozens of others I had never met, often from worlds we had not yet discovered. My own Reginald.

That is correct, I had I found my own Pairbond. A man whose power allowed him to fuse his body into another living being, controlling them from the inside. The second half didn't work so well on me, but we discovered how much better our powers could be together. His power strengthened mine, and mine strengthened his. As seemed to be the natural pattern, we married and had children of our own.

Theoretical immortality aside, humans don't do well with age. Even with all other factors being negated, we tire, we lose the concept of time. My own children and even some great grandchildren either chose to Ascend, or simply die naturally, over that time. Even my own enhanced nature was subject to that. I appointed my own great great great something grandson, Daniel IX, to take my place as ruler of the Empire of Avalon, and at age three hundred and twenty nine, I joined my family once again.

[REUNION]

[LOVE]

======================

A/N- And that is the end end of Amelia.

A couple parts may have made me a little weepy eyed.

Also- a thread started to discuss what comes next as far as my writing is concerned. https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/after-amelia.1625/

And for those newbies who came along and read this long, long after it was finished... mind dropping a PM letting me know where you stumbled across it?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  7. dasstan

dasstan :)

[​IMG]

themselves
    and
    Wait, what? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they get to be together in a twisted parody of love, but what power interaction do they have?
    The little Heartbroken boy that took over Yamada? That's adorable.

So. It's over. I was fully expecting to casually ignore the Dragon being dead thing, but then you had her imprint on her shard pretty heavily, and I started hoping that something like this would happen. And it did. And I was happy. Colin and Dragon are best ship.

Thank you for the excellent tale, You Magnificent Dick.

8. VaporDeagle

VaporDeagle A

First thing first, dawwwwwwww, even if I would be screaming my brain juice out of my ears when I actually saw giant space whale.

Second, I can see why Lisa and Rebecca decided to die naturally.

[JOIN]
    [FUN]

"There's no way the stars will be in peace now that Victeal is in it."

[DARE]

"No, I don't want to hear sex joke in space-whale-se, Zacme"

[BORING]
    [HUNT:YES?]
    [AGREEMENT]

9. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

10. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Epilogue 2 was less a glimpse into Taylia's life and more of a script for it. I can understand, since it would be much longer the other way, but it doesn't really mesh right with the other one.

11. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

So Amelia/Taylor entity sent the carcasses of their victims back to Earth for others to possess? Cool, but also horrifying in a "cosmic monster" sort of way.

12. VaporDeagle

VaporDeagle A

Sooooo...

Anyone want to make a Tvtrope page for Amelia?

tordg, Empiricist and TanaNari like this.
  13. Faraway-R

Faraway-R Getting sticky.

There isn't one already?

My faith in SB-SV-QQ-frequenting humanity dug deeper.

14. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

you're
    Lewd.

I can't believe it's over. Checking for Amelia updates has become such a part of my routine that it will take a while to adjust. Congratulations on both starting and finishing this.

15. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

What you did there, TanaNari...I see it.

Awesome story, man. Awesome end.

16. AliasBot

AliasBot Here's to not going that extra mile

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Also, ouch. Taylia only really showed up for a chapter and a half, but she made an impact. It was a good note to go out on. Although...

...it wouldn't be Amelia if the happy ending wasn't surrounded on all sides by cosmic fridge horror. It's just one of those universal constants.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  17. Chulup

Chulup Know what you're doing yet?

You fixed this!

And he was around 50 at that time. He had to wait another dozen years until he met his Dragon again. Poor Colin.

You fixed even color of this Empress' costume, if I recognized her correctly.

And I see Taylor still loves her feminine features =)

Love it.
    Surely Amelia could be half the size it is now, I still love fix-fics.
    Thank you, TanaNari

18. cyberswordsmen

cyberswordsmen I trust you know where the happy button is?

This was a damn good story even if it did drag a bit in the middle.

Ban, Tenebrous Fantasies and TanaNari like this.
  19. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Armsmaster's surname is Wallis, not Wallace.

But apart from that, magnificent closure.

Kudos.

Also: love her base powerset Trump Card sees what you did there, but hey, I think it's cool. :D

20. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Even Taylor can't xenocide an exponentially growing species without at least a little help.

21. fishbait08

fishbait08 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wow, it's finally over. Kind of bittersweet in a way when an epic fic like this comes to its end, as on one hand its satisfying to see things get wrapped up & not left hanging, but on the other, those regular updates that can make ones day a little brighter will be no more.

Looks like Taylia Rose, as well as becoming an impressive person her mothers would have been proud of, had a good & happy life until she decided to ascend, as did most of Team Pantheon. Plus, that was one hell of a power she got.

Poor Colin though- having to live for ~30 years without his waifu while all his comrades are experiencing the joys of pairbonds, with an extra side of lingering guilt over all the problems he caused Taylor back in Brockton and never getting the chance to apologize to her for it. No wonder he was so happy to ascend when it meant a chance to reunite with shard imprint!Dragon.

Then there was that customized trigger vision Taylor & Amelia left for Taylia- can just see how much they cared for the daughter they knew they couldn't be there for. Though it was a reminder of what I see as one of the saddest parts of this story, what the price of victory was for Taylor & Amelia in that they didn't really get the chance to raise their own family and at least a few decades of 'happily ever after' and all the other things humans can but entities can't they might have gotten had it been possible to defeat Scion without their having to become an entity themselves.

Can see why Lisa & some of the others chose not to use Avalon's tech to escape old age, and why people would find functional immortality tiring after a while.

Out of all the pairbonds that ascended to become entities, I suppose that Zacma would try to be the joker of the bunch except one constantly embarrassed half keeps stopping the other:

So ladies, do you want to... OUCH! Stop That! Sorry...

[LEWD]

[FRUSTRATIONEMBARRASSMENT]

Sorry about that Taylor, Amelia, but you know how he could get

It's okay Ems... Suppose that despite your best efforts, he never did manage to grow up....

[RESIGNATION]

[AMUSEMENT]

Though I suppose it's not entirely clear from the chapter whether Missy, Clarice & Theo ascended, as well as whether all the people who chose to die naturally got the chance to ascend as well.

And the end lived up to the story's billing of being the darkest fix-fic despite what looks like a happy ending- the two heroines, in order to save all the worlds from an eldritch abomination have to sacrifice their humanity (and the happily ever after they deserved a shot at) and become an eldritch horror themselves, and then start a genocidal war to save the multi-verse from the space whale Scion-Type Entity menace, and when they do reunite with their friends and family who have had that shot at happily ever after, its because they've hauled the carcasses of their victims back to Earth so that those loved ones can transform into another form of horror in the form of space sharks ascend into Taylia-Type Entities and join the war effort. A lot of fridge horror for anyone who wants to pop the door open.

Somehow, just as expected

Like mother, like daughter

Looks like that was always a concern with Taylor

The feels here. And Taylor, Amelia- if it's any consolation, I'm sure that if had fate worked out differently and given you the chance to spend some more time as humans after beating Scion, you would have been great mothers.

:eek: Good thing that Taylor & Amelia have found a way to get some help with the Great Space Whale Scion-Type Entity Hunt

22. dasstan

Do the characters in question have a power interaction bond? If yes, then they become spacesharks, because they've imprinted on their shard. If no? Then no.

Avalon doesn't actually need the people to make a new spaceshark, she just needs shards that are sufficiently impregnated with personality. (Avalon is Zordon. Spacesharks are teenagers with attitude)

Although I am highly amused that Avalon ended up unleashing a Seed AI with full access to entity powers on the universe. Every other spaceshark is just a clever ruse to get to be with her friends for the rest of forever. Dragiant/Defragon/Teslin is going to do all the hard work.

23. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

*Stands tall and proud*.

Yeah. Well. Gotta leave room for the fans to apply imagination, right? Maybe my fixfic will get a fixfic?

And all the others started doing the same once they began their journey through the stars.

*Notes that you haven't made one, either. :p

How do you think I feel?!?

I figured you'd appreciate it.

I do strive for consistency in the message. The message itself... good luck figuring out what it is, but it was consistent.

Aww. You'll just have to wait for my next story. It's good to have a ready made fanbase, right?

Does need the pairbonding, however. A single imprinted shard isn't enough to overcome the natural instincts of the Entity species. Well, except for Dragon. She could have handled it without a partner. But Avalon was nice like that.

And no, Dragon doesn't have a huge advantage over any other spaceshark, aside not needing a pairbond to hold things together. Entities already are, in every way that matters plus some, Seed AIs. And near the apex of what a Seed AI could ever become anyway. At best, what she has is a head start over the other space sharks. They'll all plateau around the same place.

24. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Since you have Scion die on screen due to him being a dumbass and not seeing something obvious right in front of his face, something which any human-ego equivalent AI like Dragon would have picked up on, I'm not sure this WoG is actually consistent with your own canon.

Entities are equivalent to REALLY POORLY PROGRAMMED AIs who use slow, inefficient methods to advance... that's not really what a Seed AI looks like. It's what a natural, evolutionary organism looks like. Advancement by brute force, often in spite of its own efforts.

I mean, I get that you want to snap your fingers in the face of Seed AI wank, but I don't think you're burning and salting the earth in quite the correct spot.

25. dasstan

I picked up on that.
    What evildice said.

I really want to know what the power interaction is for Emma the space travel tinker and Zach the respawner is, though.

Divabot likes this.
  26. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

It involves great stamina.

27. AyiosKat

AyiosKat Know what you're doing yet?

It's been a nice run. Thanks for the story and looking forward to your next work.

28. tordg

tordg (Unverified Idiot)

Shouldn't that be "worlds"? Or has language just not caught up yet?

"Sound".

Reggie! It's good to see you again, old friend. It's been what, a couple hundred chapters?

And we've been making jokes like this for almost four hundred. FFS you guys! EDIT: It exists! It's as ugly as fuck, but it exists. Go forth and make it as pretty as it deserves to be!

I find myself... strangely disappointed that she's not a mime for some reason.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Divabot, AliasBot and dasstan like this.
  29. dasstan

She could be.

Tenebrous Fantasies and TanaNari like this.
  30. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Luckily Taylia has had several centuries to figure out how to create intergalactic ninja space grasshoppers in preparation for the ascendency of Zachma.

Madus, Sheaman3773, Alayne and 10 others like this.