1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I guess this suggests I might want to reread Inviolate, again... (Yes, I did think the Guardian-bashing was a little excessive.) I'm a bit of a sucker for a well-done redemption story... Possibly worth noting, may be likely we're dealing with redeemed Sinestro, here...

2. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

This Sinestro, like his Lex, is a Knight Templar more than an out-and-out villain. His methods are extreme and he's a nasty SOB (far moreso than 'present' Lex is), but when he was fighting tyrranical gods who'd ruled the galaxy/universe for most of recorded history, it's hard to say he wasn't mostly justified.

Inviolate is the grimmest, darkest timeline of DC. Its Guardians make the Imperium of Mankind look gentle and forgiving, they just have better publicity. Seriously.

3. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Can someone who knows this universe please state what colors represent what emotions?Like Gold is Willpower.?

4. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Emotions aren't involved in Inviolate. There was only ever one color, and Lex devised some celestial engineering to manipulate the universe into changing where the 'green energy' pooled from Oa to Earth and, incidentally, change the color to Gold.
    Sinestro is First Lantern, Barbara Gordon (Oracle) is Ilustres/Clarissi.

Edit: the 'Oath' of the Corps is
    And she's promoted slightly later:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In fairness to Brainiac, their timeline was getting destroyed and they considered Paul an anomaly that shouldn't have existed from what they know. It is fully possible that he could have had something to do with that, even if not by his own actions, by accident maybe, and it would have been dangerous to send him back when they don't know that much about him.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

And now I've got to deal
    With this shit

I need to not go berserk.

"Sinestro."

Komand'r is capable of looking after herself. She's either safe, or she's-.

Or she's not. In either case, there may be people I need to retaliate against. But I don't have any evidence that these are they. Wasting time fighting someone I know to be extremely skilled with a ring means that I'm not pursuing the people actually responsible as quickly as I can. These people could be a useful source of information in identifying exactly who those people are.

Lord Atrocitus designed red rings to kill Green Lanterns. I've never had to fight the local Green Lanterns, but Zilius told me about his encounter with his homeworld's Green Lantern and it turns out that our red blood vomit wrecks green constructs. Not sure what it does to yellow ones -or gold ones- since Lord Atrocitus lost interest in Sinestro when he found out that he left the Green Lantern Corps.

"No, human, I'm Sinestro."

"Heh hah!"

Sinestro and I both look around as Indigo laughs. He smiles at both of us.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't expecting you to use humour. I always imagined you to be rather po-faced." He bows, as far as his cage permits. "Saul Talbot. Indigo Lantern. My colleague hasn't given me his chosen name yet, but as you can see he's-."

"A red Lantern." Sinestro regards us both for a moment. "Where did you get those rings?"

"I'm afraid that my memories of the incident are fairly confused. One moment I was laying in bed… The next, I was in orbit around a parallel universe version of Earth with a ring on my finger and a staff in my hand."

He raises his right hand slightly, the indigo sigil appearing in front of him. Immediately, the cage holding him dims faintly. Sinestro pulls back slightly, his aura strengthening and generating a javelin construct.

"Stop what you're doing now."

Indigo raises his hands and dismisses his logo.

These constructs are just as vulnerable to our abilities as green ones.

I need to not go-.

"That goes for you as well."

!TAKE THE DATA FROM THEIR BURNING CORPSES!

"RAAAAAGHH!"

The red light swirls and scythes, tearing apart the cage around me as the Butcher's Horns form upon my brow! Sinestro's construct javelin is melted by a spray of blood vomit from my mouth as he backpedals in the air.

"Berserk strength-"

A bell jar construct forms around me and the air gas concentration drops to near-vacuum.

"RAAAAAGHH!"

That vanishes too, the volley of energy pulses from the other Gold Lanterns being countered by my own. A bull-construct charges Sinestro and he sidesteps, a construct foil piercing its neck as it thunders past. His pistol construct fires in retaliation, gold beam striking my chest and battering back my flaring environmental shield.

"I don't think this-"

I retaliate with piranha plant constructs, sending them chomping at him and forcing him to dodge and dive around them.

"-is going to help-"

"Sir!"

"-anyone."

One of the other Lanterns didn't back up far enough and is getting chomped, the piranha plant biting into his environmental shield and jerking him left and right like a worrying dog. Sinestro's eyes dart his way for a moment and he finds space to fire another volley at the piranha plant's stem. The piranha begins to fade, but I use the opportunity to spray a high pressure stream of blood vomit at him. He spots it but is too hemmed in to evade quickly enough, construct-liquid spraying across his environmental shield and burning into his chest and right arm.

"No, why did I-"

His ring begins to splutter, the liquid turning to fire as it spreads across his body. His eyes widen.

"-think I'd listen-"

I lunge through the air, punching him in the chest with a construct-fist as the other weaker Lanterns struggle in vain to pierce my environmental shield. He hurtles out of the pit, unable to control his flight.

"-to me any more-"

Chain flail constructs batter the other Lanterns, forcing them onto the defensive. The one my piranha flower bit crumples as the attack pierces his environmental shield and smashes into the ribs beneath.

"-than anyone-"

"RAAAAAGHH!"

"-else does."

Sinestro will know things. I fly and hammer the two active Lanterns into the ground, then shoot upwards. Sinestro's standing on the rocky ground outside the bowl, frantically trying to douse the flames with his ring. The moment he sees me he grimaces and generates a construct shield-.

Indigo appears next to me. "Peace."

Uh?

"Peace."

Uh?

The.. horns… Fade, and I…

"Peace."

"I went berserk."

"Yes, yes you did." He looks at Sinestro. "And I do not believe that we will be able to reach a peaceful settlement at this stage."

"Ah. Sorry."

"Well… Yes." His eyes unfocus for a moment. "Why don't we-"

Sinestro's attack splashes across his shield.

"-move to a safe location, and then you can give me a more complete briefing."

"That's…" I nod. "That's probably a good idea."

"Very well. Sinestro, I apologise, but my colleague is overwrought. We will remove ourselves from the field."

"We will find you-."

"That may be unwise. Farewell for now."

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Haha! Tremble, Multiverse, before the rational and even tempered might of MULTIPLE SIS TEAMING UP! MUAHAHAHA!

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Welp if Paul fights Sinestro in the future then this is a good indication that he may be able to win, though seeing as Raul has a red ring, which was practically designed to fight power ring, Paul may have a more difficult time.

9. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Multiple Sis Team Up?

Am I the only one imagining a chorus of hundreds of big sisters all going "ara ara~" at the same time?

10. Korfayron

Korfayron Making the rounds.

I love when Saul decides the most rational and compassionate thing to do is something fucking awful.
    I can see him deciding that he would have to slaughter all these people so that he and red lantern could leave quickly because otherwise Krona would destroy the universe or something else, slaughter them all because it is the most time effective reaction in the event the other time efficient courses have proven unproductive. "I'm sorry but we don't have time for this" drops super anti-matter bomb and phases out killing everyone around.

erebus1994, RGFJ, Istaran and 7 others like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, people tend to forget that just because Indigo's are about compassion that doesn't mean they can't throw don if it comes down to it, as well as rationalize what compassion is.

The Indigo's are nos just space hippies with magic rings and sometimes what they do, and the power they wield, can be disturbing.

There was this scene in Life Ore Death where Jordan tells the Team about the other ring colors and what he knows about them.
    When he gets to the Indigo's he says that their policy of making people compassionate may not always work and can backfire in some pretty frightening ways.
    For this he gives an example of the Joker getting an Indigo ring.
    While it would make him compassionate it may not change the fact that he wants to drive people insane. Remember that in many comics his motivation for doing what he does is because he thinks other people are crazy while he is sane and is trying to make them sane by doing horrible things to them, so now he has a ring that can help him alter the brains of thousands of people at once in a way that may be irreversible, all the while he is a compassionate individual who wants to make everyone sane.

There was also another scene where Kaldur tell M'gan a story about a goddess who drowned her own children. When her husband asked her why she did it, and thought it was because they were evil in their previous life, she told him it was because they were the reincarnated spirits of great heroes and sages, who due to small sins they committed were unable to escape the cycle of death and reincarnation, so in order for them to finally ascend she killed them before they could commit any sins.

Another storyline had Ma Gunn's motivation for turning all those children into criminals be because she thought it was better for them to know how to survive in a cruel world by being cruel themselves, after one of her girls died, when she was still a law abiding citizen and tried to care for them.

Yeah compassion can be a real scary bitch sometimes.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  12. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Ok, Red Lantern may not have as many tools, gadgets and esoteric techniques, but he seems to me like a definite better raw fighter, overall. The blood of the Butcher apparently can wreck almost everything, including constructs, unless they have some high level of magic resistance, and the Berserk state sounds awesome, even though it obviously affects his... "long term planning", to say it kindly.

A pity that Saul interrupted his Red counterpart, that beat-down was fantastic and I wanted see more! We really haven't seen a good fight in a while.

RGFJ, Wild Transient, JoTa34 and 4 others like this.
  13. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Wait, what's the red enlightenment upgrade? Butcher's horns? Berserk? Both? And how does one get it out them?

14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Greed overcomes fear just ask Daffy Duck.

There is a reason Time Trapper got him when he had the wrong ring.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I assume it allows for perfect control over hateful emotions as well as allowing them to go into a berserker strength mode without losing their minds, or at least most of their mind, and the ability to travel through the Red Light equivalent of the Honden.

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Not off to a good start there, Raul. Poor Sinestro, tarred by his alternate selves' reputation...:p

Oh, dear... Raul's got a slow-burning temper, and the wick has been lit...

Seriously, this is like watching a burning gunpowder trail running towards a very large stack of barrels... filled with TNT.

Hey, that made me chuckle. He may not have intended to be funny, but...

Well, at least one of them is able to be reasonable...

Yeah, not the smartest move, Saul. That was basically flashing a gun at a cop...

I wonder, what does the local Book of Oa have to say about the colours of light... And certain wars between said colours...

Oh, dear. Looks like his ring has a few hidden protocols...

Yep, looks like Atrocitus put a few hidden directives in there...

Still, Sinestro has good reactions. Just not good enough...

Good instinct, rookie, but one problem. Environmental Field.

Still weird seeing golden Will being used...

Looks like the Teen Titans universe has had a few effects on his style...

Saul, you might have to actually do something more than talk at people...

Oof, a good hit. That's going to sting something fierce.

Wow, Sinestro is being pushed hard here...

"Team Rocket, blasting off agaaiiinnn..."

Ouch. Seriously, Saul, any time... Before someone ends up dead...

The joy of being the sanest man on an earth full of assholes and idiots...

Okay, beddy-bye time, Raul.

Boy, he was deep in the red place, wasn't he?

Dammit, I don't want to picture it, but I can't help but see Saul giving Raul a cooldown hug...

Hooray for Captain Obvious!

Man, he gets moody after a rage, doesn't he?

Are we sure this one isn't a Common Sense build as well?

Boy, Saul really doesn't do well with super-powered cops, does he? Guess that's what comes of being the biggest stick in your home setting...

Adding 'fleeing from the scene of a crime' to the list? Boy, Saul is really piling it on...

Heh. I bet Sinestro is going to be looking into the other colours now, after that impressive beatdown. A Ring type that can steamroll Will like nothing? Scary stuff for someone like him...

I retaliate with piranha plant constructs, sending them...

17. GamingPizza1998

GamingPizza1998 Verified Pizza

Sinestro Mook 1: "That could have been worse"
    Sinestro Mook 2: "I can't believe you just tempted fate like that"
    Sinestro Mook 1: "You and your Murphy, I mean seriously what's the worse tha-"
    Power Rings: "Black Light Detected"
    Mook 2:"You're going first"

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well he is a Red Lantern and while he may be the sanest and most rational one of them, except for Atrocitus when he isn't thinking about the Greens, that is not exactly a very high bar to reach

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's odd that you would leave the Green vulnerability to Indigo and Red in when you removed the Orange vulnerability to Blue and Violet.

Navi-Hank and Darko like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Atrocitus did create his rings so that he could fight other ring wielders, specifically green ones, and while these are gold they still use willpower.

As for the other two well we haven't really seen Paul fight any Blue or Violet Lanterns.
    I know that he fought Carol -14 in the Justice Underground base and maybe he fought with Baul during the LexCorp fiasco, but the first one was fairly brief and Baul had a low ring charge.
    Also the two of them may not have known about how their rings can be used to fight other colors, specifically by manipulating the emotions of those wielding rings of other colors, even if Baul has comic knowledge he still has a low ring charge and may find it difficult to practice much.

Also Paul is enlightened so emotion manipulation on him is difficult.
    When the Kriegers were on the Watchtower Wolf tried to use the Medusa Mask to make him feel fear but was unable to because of Paul's enlightenment.

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You seem to be misunderstanding how the vulnerabilities are supposed to work.

It doesn't involve manipulating the emotions of the ring wielders, it's just Blue and Violet light straight up no selling anything made with Orange, similar to what Red can do to Green.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Pretty sure it's just Blue making them feel hopeful and then just them losing their desires at least temporarily, and Violet makes them feel love.

The only time we've seen a Blue Lantern fight Orange Lanterns was when Alan was sparring with some, but he was just shielding himself then if I remember correctly.

Also even if one light is inherently hostile to another light Paul's enlightenment could mean that he can be immune to that particular feature.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank youy, corrected.

24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

As demonstrated by literally the first and second things the Indigo Tribe did in the comics.

A Sinestro corps member and a GLC member were fighting, the GLC member was losing.

An indigo tribesman scared off the Sinestro corps member, then euthanized the GLC member.

So the "space hippies" were introduced with intimidation and putting the mercy in mercy killing.

Ardy, Lord Ernest, Rebu and 5 others like this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Not according to both the comics and animated series.

Given even the Entities are shown to be effected by the rock paper scissors nature of Light, not without a writer given ass-pull.

Navi-Hank and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Does anyone but Paul, Paul, Paul, and Paul know what this even is? (Alternatively, are these things that actually exist in-universe?)

Appropriate, given his (unspeakable) surname.

Nobody ever said this was a case of rock-paper-scissors. It was specifically a construct-buster attack, and the fact that they're green has nothing to do with it.

Darko, Ardy, DAT_NOOB and 1 other person like this.
  27. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's a Mario brothers Enemy. So unless they don't have Super Mario bros...

Darko, DAT_NOOB and Silverias like this.
  28. WorstMirari

WorstMirari the girl in blue

I can't believe I've been behind for years and I caught up here of all places

Umbrella_merc, Chaoswind and DAT_NOOB like this.
  29. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

Blankly
    Staring

"Hello."

She regards me for a moment.

"Brian, that's not a finger."

I look at the surprised blond man standing just behind her.

"Hello Brian."

"It was a finger five minutes ago. All the.. systems said that it was dead."

"They were correct. I was dead. I'm still dead."

That may not be clear. I pull back my lips to give them a look at my fangs.

"You're a vampire powerful enough to regenerate from a severed finger."

I restore my lips to their accustomed location. "Not exactly. I'm a revenant-. On the parallel where I contracted vampirism, it isn't a disease so much as a form of automated possession. I was set upon by a group of revenants, killed and infected. This ring-" I raise my right hand, not pointing it at them but just drawing attention to it. "-destroyed the demon that would have claimed my corpse and then used its power to reanimate me. The blood I had been fed as part of the ritual changed my body somewhat, but the regeneration came from the ring."

The woman nods. "Like Lantern Driq."

"Possibly. I don't know the man."

"How are you with sunlight?"

"It's not a problem as long as I'm wearing a power ring. If I'm not, I catch fire." I frown slightly. "At least, I did last time I experimented. I drank the blood of a goddess recently and I'm not sure if that changes things."

The golden aura around her body intensifies slightly.

"… Which goddess?"

"She gave her name as 'Glorificus'. She was attacking a town and its defenders at the time, and after killing her leaving her blood seemed wasteful."

She considers for a moment, then runs a golden strobe over my body from her power ring.

"Are you alright?"

"Given that I'm dead, not by most standards."

"You've barely moved since I opened the door. Your facial movements aren't natural. And there's something… Off about your voice."

"I'm told that my behaviour becomes more lifelike after I rip out someone's heart and have this ring consume it."

"Who the hell made a power ring like that?"

"Based on my recent experiences, I believe that it was Nekron."

"And you're just telling me that."

"Yes. Why wouldn't I?"

"My files say that Nekron wants to kill every living thing in the universe. Of course, those are files I got from the Green Lantern Corps. If you can prove that he's someone else they were slandering, we may reconsider our approach."

"Based on the behaviour of this ring, I believe that information is correct."

"But you don't have to obey him."

"Technically, I have never received a direct order from him. I don't know for certain that I could disobey if I did. The ring appears to encourage omnicidal behaviour without compelling it. As things stand, my behaviour is my own."

"Do you mind if we test that?"

"I don't think that summoning Nekron would be in your interests."

"With a wizard."

"I'm not completely certain that I would 'mind' if you shot me in the head and incinerated my remains. Unless I've taken a heart recently I don't really feel things."

"Do you need hearts?"

"The ring would eventually run out of power if I didn't harvest hearts."

"And how long will that take?"

"That depends on how much I exert myself. I can remain active for two months without recharging."

"Can you recharge from animals?"

"Animal blood is fine for my revenant physiology. However, the ring requires hearts filled with emotion. By definition, that requires mental complexity."

"And how do you normally recharge?"

"Usually, I take hearts from violent, predatory cannibals."

"Other vampires."

"Other revenants. Sometimes demons. I have no particular objection to killing a human while in this state, but by the same token I have no particular motive to do so."

"Do you want to get that desire back?"

"I appear to appreciate it when I have it."

"Would having another ring help? We've got quite a lot."

"I am unfamiliar with gold rings, but I doubt it, since I lack the will in my default state to use them. I suppose that it may be possible for another to infuse me. Is that something which you know how to do?"

"I can't say that I do." She considers for a moment. "Why were you a finger?"

"I appear to be able to regenerate from any part of my body. When faced with destruction I threw my finger through a planar portal. The rest of me was then destroyed."

"What by?"

"A Manhunter robot. It could drain my constructs and ring, as well as being extremely strong and resilient."

"Did you know what was on the other side of the portal?"

"No, though I assume that Time Trapper and Red Queen believed it to be a safe location. The Red Queen we were working with at least. The one who came through the portal was released by a Manhunter."

Her ring is at her mouth immediately.

"Corps Commander to all Lanterns. Detain Red Queen now."

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  30. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Blond.

Is it bad I kind of hope one of the Scoobs in Sunnydale punched him in the mouth for being so utterly pedantic about not calling them vampires?