1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Not to mention that Revenant is not, like, an official term that means demon-possessed corpse. Usually it's more like a powerful sentient zombie with memories from its life.

Vorian, DAT_NOOB, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  2. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Then he shouldn't be able to control undead since he literally has nothing to do with it.

Gantradies likes this.
  3. MadMarx420

MadMarx420 Not too sore, are you?

These will based gold lanterns. Are they something Zoat made up or a thing that actually exists in DC comics?

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Kind of. Yellow = Fear was -as far as I know- a War of Light invention. But the Gold Lantern Corps are from the facfic Inviolate.

5. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

The Mary Sue one where everyone was trying to bang good!Lex?

Darko likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep, pretty much.

Oh and don't forget the Guardian bashing that can make writers of Dumbledore bashing jealous and weak at the knees.

Like, literary every single problem in the universe was blamed on them.
    It was a well written story, but the excessive bashing was just terrible at the end and kinda ruined the story for me.

Ardy likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

I don't know about everyone. He had one date, and ended up banging his two henchwomen, but that's hardly everyone.
    I don't think the author was implying that was what the Guardians did in canon. Complaining about parallel universe versions of a character 'wearing the goatee' isn't really a reasonable complaint.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

That is, indeed, what my question was.

Want to increase the horror value?

This is a real disorder that real people have fallen victim to. Alive. Responsive. Able to do things, but unable to motivate themselves to do so. Death usually results from starvation because of a lack of will to eat.

9. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

That sounds like a pretty good description of Zombie Paul, if you exclude the Black Ring abilities... Worth noting, which Mr Zoat said repeatedly, is that he's not a demon-possessed corpse, except very briefly.

Revenant looks to be a credible description; it can be worth thinking about how 'zombie' used to mean a corpse animated by external means, or the Haitian flavour (which are people convinced that they've died, 'voodoo zombies'), before the movie 'Dawn of the Dead' and all the other new, 'improved', flavours. Vampire and revenant were very similar terms before Bram Stoker came along, if you want to go back further. D&D, since the early 1970s, has a lot to be blamed for in making people think there can be precise meanings to various mythical monster definitions...

Inviolate was a fun story, with its Lex Luthor and evil Guardians, but IMO the 'Guardians caused everything' back-story was too simple, and a more messy history, with warring Guardian factions, and lost rogue Manhunters, all quietly air-brushed from the history would've been more fun.

'Krona won, then left the universe', and the GLC being run by a cranky but mostly well-intentioned ancient Manhunter AI, with the modern Guardians being (multi-million year old) flesh puppets with some local AI, would arguably have been better. As always, YMMV. :)

Our Black Ring wearer is better than this, otherwise he'd have just stood there and waited to rot/burn in the sun. So, he's some motivation, even if it seems to be pretty weak.

Does this mean he's (mostly) a rationalist, driven by a faint belief in his own social utility? :)

At the end of this him ending up as a living gold ring (Will) user and back in the Buffy-verse would be a 'good ending' I'd be happy with... Uploading him into a stolen Manhunter with reasonable human-impersonation capabilities (and a Yellow Ring (+Lantern); you know there'll be a few spares), would be a kinder fate than his current one. But, I expect Mr Zoat to surprise me. :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It was still annoying that basically every single problem in his version of the DC universe was caused by the Guardians.

11. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

I was thinking more like Nekron would yell at him "Corpsman! Get off your ass and do something. People can't die if they cease to exist!"

12. MadMarx420

MadMarx420 Not too sore, are you?

I've just read up to chapter 16 of that fic. While well written, the guardian bashing was a bit much. I'm not really a big fan of the guardians themselves and they've done loads of dodgy shit but the fic pretty much blames so much stuff all on the guardians. It's a bit silly.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

A dead thing is an absence in life, which would still fall under Nekron's umbrella, even in my no-prize style lens of things.

And if the White Light Entity died, life as a concept would cease to exist, leaving only an absence, the primordial darkness that Nekron seeks to return to.

Whereas the Rot, the elemental power of death over in Swamp Thing, doesn't want everything to die. Because if everything died, there would be no more death. Death feeds on life.

So one could write a DC story in which the Blackest Night zombies were fought by Rot zombies seeking to protect life.

Lord Ernest, Jaron, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  14. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

*nods* I think the one where one becomes physically incapable of sleep, but still requires it neurologically is a bit worse myself - from memory nobody’s lasted more then a month, and were completely insane within two weeks...

... also, couldn’t you argue, if you wanted to be pedantic, that a corpse would STILL be more related to the life entity then necron?

its not the utter absence/antithesis of life, but a product-and ultimately, in a healthy biosphere, the source/fuel for more life- it’s logical end result, as it were-
    honestly constructs/avatars- or a single avatar wielding oblivion/the ability to violate thermodynamics and DESTROY matter/energy, permanently accelerating realities entropic degradation towards the state he/if desired would have been more thematicly Appropriate then hijacking the products of existence/life- and Arguably harder to fight when even an attack that “misses” and destroys something in the background hastens realities decay...
    isn’t the whole black lantern thing.. actually kinda stupid because.... well, it is guarantied to win if it just WAITS due to the inquisitive idiot breaking reality with that one-way time window? It just had to wait- where’s its motivation. It’s DESIRE to act and hasten things coming from?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  15. Stsword

Not if the Guardians succeed.

If one is going with the backstory that Krona created enough entropy that the universe won't automatically spawn a new universe when it dies and the point of the GLC is to ensure the next universe, that is.

It's not like DC hasn't created other contradictory backstories.

Gantradies likes this.
  16. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Just because the annoying fucking neighbors who are up all night partying next door will shut up and go to sleep eventually doesn't mean that you don't want them to shut the fuck up right now.

17. Stsword

Plus he's been waiting for 13.8 billion years.

I'd think that qualifies as more than patient.

18. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

He was having a nap and some idiot woke him up, yeah really that's his entire motivation.

19. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

20. Gantradies

huh. Trying to work out if that’s better or worse then Thano’s canonical motivation for all the atrocities o.o
    like, it’s... almost charmingly mundane, and .. almost reasonable compared to the comical stupidity of the mad titan’s ongoing attempts to get a restraining order from the personification of death....

21. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Thanos is... madly in love with death, he is also called the "Mad Titan" for a reason. The Marvel Live action movies have him a different motivation but in a way they ruined him.

22. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Comic book Thanos was just trying to impress the girl he likes, Lady Death.

Darko, Vorian and Xmaster3000 like this.
  23. Gantradies

Oh yeah that’s what I mean!

.... still more coherent/believable then his gibbering in the MCU- him being as nutty as post-Napier harleen there makes him more believable as a threat- the MCU version is essentially a psychopathic manchild crying over being ignored back in school, who’s never questioned himself once in his life, when there are pre-teens capable of pointing out how flawed... *sighs* >.<

my back of hand math at the theatre suggested he’d most likely killed more like 3/4 2/3 of the galactic/universal population due to the knock-on Effect on mortality rates due to the societal/logistical disruptions (and potentially killed the entire universe due to the spoilers stuff) for what, even if his resource consumption gibberish had any factual basis, would.. what? Slow things down for a few centuries? For species with even higher population growth/“starting” populations over multiple worlds, decades?
    Looking at earths population growth alone, over the last earth-prime century.....

Xmaster3000, Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Is a known fact that most species tend to breed like crazy once they recover from some disaster that reduced their population.

So he actually only really reduced the number of species that don't have that many children in the long term.

Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

Oooooh
    Dear

"Does that happen often?"

I sit in a small disused hut on the side of a mountain with my head in my hands.

"No. Not often."

Indigo passes me a cup of tea. I take it, lifting my head just enough to raise my eyebrows at him. He doesn't… Like tea, does he?

"Try it. You might like it."

I take a small sip, and it's the same old boiled-leaf-water that I know and don't drink when there's any alternative. Perhaps if I just.. sniff it.

"Thank you."

"I can probably find some yak milk, if you think it will help."

"I don't." I take a whiff of… No, whatever tea this is, I don't recognise the smell. "What did you find?"

"They've issued an alert with our faces. Though between this.. place-" He looks around our Himalayan retreat. "-and your blood wards I doubt that they'll find us quickly."

"Any idea what happened to Time Trapper?"

"Since I didn't.. meet him, any answer I give you would be almost completely speculative."

"You didn't… Intercept any of the Gold Lantern Corps' communication..?"

"No. I didn't think that taking that risk would be wise. Quite aside from the chance that they might track it back to our physical location, it would be… Unnecessarily aggressive. While you appeared quite capable of handling yourself, I imagine that we're receiving a certain amount of special attention and.. we are vastly outnumbered."

"Where are we?"

"DC. Post President Luthor, pre War of Light."

Oh… Good? Oh dear? There are people around here who've handled Krona before, but… They could also handle us. And why the hell was Sinestro there?

"I don't remember a Gold Lantern Corps on Earth One."

"No, something… Happened with Lex Luthor after he left office. I didn't risk accessing Justice League records-. Is there a Justice League on the Earth you ended up on?"

"Yes. I don't really have much to do with them. You?"

"Alas… No. We.. had a group called The Seven, and they… Weren't the Justice League."

The Seven? He was-? Was that The Boys?

"Homelander's already dead?"

"Yes." He frowns. "Did you.. pick that up during your time on my Earth?"

"No. Um. It turns out that.. we all ended up in different fictional realities, but it… Looks like we lose our memory of where we ended up. I ended up in some sort of Teen Titans animated series."

He smiles.

"When there's trouble you know who to call!
    Teen Titans!"

"Ah. If you say so. I don't.. remember it." I frown. "Wait, what was the target age group?"

"Early teens."

"I-." I blink. "Really? I've been.. ripping people's skulls out! That.. can't be okay."

"You weren't in the original work." He.. hesitates for a moment. "Why have you been ripping people's skulls out?"

"Originally, I was just… Curious. The first time I killed someone and.. felt that it was a good thing. When I knew for certain that I couldn't use the original ring for anything other than destruction. Lord Atrocitus knows magic that can be performed with mortal remains, they give a… Particular impression to anyone who knows about them…"

"Still, I… Can't help but be a little concerned."

"You told me that your staff was a mind control device."

"It's more about.. influence than.. control. But it has altered me, true. Is that why you're collecting skulls? Your ring..?"

"I'm learning to accept my anger and hate. That's.. involved… It's not 'depersonalisation'. It's about accepting that the people I target are people who have made their choices and that my actions are justified as a result. And if I'm going to kill them anyway, why not take a memento?" I shrug. I suppose the 'skull' thing is a bit odd, but I've been doing it for long enough that I consider it normal for me. "How about you? What have you been up to?"

"You said that you know my Earth?" I nod. "What's it from?"

"A Garth Ennis comic called 'The Boys'."

He frowns. "They're the main characters? A CIA black operations squad?"

"A Garth Ennis comic called 'The Boys'."

He nods slowly. "Ah. Yes, that… Would explain a few things."

"They're dead now, aren't they?"

He nods solemnly. "Most of them, yes. Mister Campbell is still with us. Nice chap, when he forgets that he's not supposed to be. I know his girlfriend better than I do him…"

"So Homelander's coup attempt happened?"

"Yes, and Super Duper and I are doing our best to persuade American Consolidated-."

"Super Du-?" I blink, but… Actually, that makes sense. There's no way Homelander would have involved them in his plan.

Indigo spots my realisation. "Yes, well, obviously they needed my help and were willing to take it, and American Consolidated needed a new model for the Superhero business."

"I'm a bit surprised that you didn't say 'a plague on both their houses' and just do your own thing."

"Yes." He nods sadly. "I'm sure that you are. That would of course have led to American Consolidated not making even a token reform effort-. And… You'd have killed them, too, wouldn't you?"

"The higher the branch, the blunter the saw."

He looks at me for several uncomfortable seconds. "You've had a hard time of it, haven't you?"

"Me? You got stuck in a Garth Ennis comic."

He smiles. "I suppose that neither of us really fit-."

Red light flickers and I'm bracing myself as-. Red Queen appears. Then I relax. Oh, thank goodness. Indigo hasn't really reacted, but I suppose that's how he does things.

"Indigo, this is Red Queen. She was working with Time Trapper and the others. Queen, what happened?"

"I'm not sure." She shakes her head. "I teleported to the Justice League's Watchtower and explained what we're trying to do. A few moments later I felt the destruction of my crystals."

"What happened to Komand'r?"

"I didn't see, and the League are now targeting me. If she's still alive, they probably have her in a holding facility somewhere."

I sag slightly. "Do you know enough to build a tuning fork?"

"I don't, but I know a place that does." She looks from me to Indigo. "Did you get anyone else? Or.. see anyone else at the bunker?"

"No. This is it."

"Then this will have to do."

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And then she tries to kill them.

27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Uhm? Didn't she die?

Granted, that doesn't mean much given the setting or her powers.

Ardy, Alexandercctv, Gilhelmi and 2 others like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think she transfered herself to the version in the robot

29. Awkward

Awkward Know what you're doing yet?

That one is an impostor sent by Krona

30. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Is he supposed to be asking "Was that The Boys?" instead?