1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Huh. And OL couldn't just assimilate it? I thought he could do that with demons. OL with a bunch of creepy orange eyes flying around him feels almost nostalgic after all these years. :)

No, he lost it when the angels were tricked into targeting him. It's Grayven who still has his Sword.

2. Hammerfury

Hammerfury Know what you're doing yet?

Called it. Called it like from the very beginning.
    A society doesn't make such important religious rules without a reason. Even in real life history, most religious laws had good reasons for existing at the time they were made. Such an impractical law as blinding the females wouldn't have spread out, unless if there was an actual reason.
    Paul brought this on himself actually, and I hope this matter isn't solved easily. It should teach him to read between the lines in future situations.

3. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Killing the eye-gouging cultists still was not a bad choice, imo. Preferably, Paul should have investigated why they did it, and stab the malevolent being while he still had the Sword, though.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Something to keep in mind, if this is an actual Cthulu style being, going by canon precedence the Orange Light wouldn't work on it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

OL should just ask Ophi-chan give him a boost and respond with his own eye swarm. He did it before. This should end in one big eye-measuring contest of destiny.

6. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Not this Nemo?
    [​IMG]

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Karrien stole it and it was destroyed by an Angel King when Karrien tried to kill him.

The paragon may get another Sword if he travels to canon Earth 16 and kills that Nabu.

I'm pretty sure Zoat once mentioned the SI may travel to the canon universe sometimes during the ending of this story.

Still even without the Sword he could just use FEED ME on the thing and absorb it or assimilate it.

He could even do some avarice manipulation on the thing like with what he did on that gluttony elemental/demon during the Oceanus episode, making him lose his desires.

This thing exists on a planet that is mystically active but has no magic tradition so maybe it doesn't have experience dealing with people than can seriously harm it on spiritual level.
    Though this is an assumption and I may be wrong.

In some cases people do horrible things for a god that may not even exist.

Just because this is a universe where magic and gods exist, it doesn't mean that every single thing that people believe exists actually exists.

The renegade actually didn't go to that planet to recruit anyone.

A majority of his recruits seem to be Tamaraneans.

This is most likely just you're run of the mill magic entity, like a typical Old God, but it likes to take on a more eldritch like appearance than you're typical Old God.

Vorian, WargWolf, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Couple of days after last episode. Aw, that means we missed seeing Hinon and Batman's respective reactions to the reports on the last couple of episodes... I'll bet it was noisy.

I might be forgetting my Atlantean politics. Wasn't this the guy fighting Queen Clea, over in the Renegade's timeline?

Honestly, I would casually ignore that moment of panicked spellwork. Act like he didn't just pull a loaded gun on someone seemingly popping out of nowhere. Really, OL, you need to arrange some kind of warning system for the greediport.

I suppose if he's in a hurry, it's one way to skip the queues.

Buh-wah? Okay, what the hell did OL get into now?

I expect there'll be a short bit of teething trouble as they adjust to each other anyway. Hope it's not a desperate rush, 'world ending as we speak' matter. Otherwise he'd have gone to John-Fate.

...Wait, is this the 'puts out the eyeballs of pubescent females' planet? I'm guessing the priests didn't mention the divine covenant angle...

Interesting. I suppose sending his best mages away will weaken his position...

Unless you can get a hold of a talented necromancer...

...It will be hard to get any info from them.

Like, you know, managing the ecosystem or something...

...You're not going to greediport them, are you? Because Hinon noted that was a bad idea...

Good to see him taking it seriously, anyway. I suspect most people wouldn't take OL at his word so quickly...

Ah, Dox did make use of the acronym after all.

I bet he got a single red letter in his thoughts and everything.

How... sensible of them. I suppose Dox has a system for gauging the probability of success for these things.

Considering most countries react to that sort of thing with military action when possible...

To be honest, ol' Arthur might be understanding of matters. American history and all that...

No, it'll make it Dox's Problem. OL is the field leader, not the supreme commander of the joint operations.

I doubt Atlantean society works much like Hellenic Greece or Antiquarian Rome...

Ha, walking the king through the process of taking a referendum...

Will of the people, and all that. Which most Atlanteans aren't used to...

Giving them a big stick to lean on while they speak softly. Clever.

Also, I bet a few Lanterns would be deployed. It could serve as a joint training exercise. Hopefully they can do it without an orbital bombardment or similar... People might take offence at that.

And Ganurath called it: Atlantean politics. I bet the plot will be split between the Tilletit incident and the referendum... With OL bouncing back and forth between them, maybe?

Little uncertain whether 'affected' or 'effected' is appropriate here. Up to you, Mr Zoat.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Vorian, Ganurath, Ardy and 17 others like this.
  9. A_Bibliophage

A_Bibliophage Getting sticky.

I mean, he did interrogate them. He asked them why, and they said for their god.

I mean, he could see that they believed it.

It just didn't change his mind about empowering one of their victims and watching her eviscerate them.

I mean, even if he had known about the eyeball god-thing, he probably wouldve done the same thing.

Vorian, kyomei93, WargWolf and 20 others like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Cyprian was Clea's nephew and helped her rule.

Clea died in the paragon timeline and now Cyprian is in charge, while her renegade counterpart got Awakened by renegade and may rule forever if she wants to.

Even if the priests mentioned the divine covenant angle there is a chance OL may not believe them and he may think they are just mutilating people to an entity that doesn't exist.

The fact they lack a magic tradition can also mean that OL didn't consider the fact a magic entity can form on that world.

Just because this is a universe where magic and gods exist it doesn't mean that every single thing people believe in is true.

Vorian, kyomei93, WargWolf and 14 others like this.
  11. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I take it Blind Io is objecting to having his clergy slaughtered? :D

12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    The Renegade hasn't ever been there and if he knows the place exists it's as a line of text on a star chart.
    No.
    I don't zogging know. What's the difference?

13. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

So why does their god want a bunch of eyeballs?

That scene change was abrupt. Thought I'd missed a chapter at first.
    Install narrative inertial dampers before pulling moves like that.

CTrees and Xelloss like this.
  14. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Things have an effect, but things are affected.

Edit: I've mentally said those too many times and now they aren't words for me. Q_Q

15. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Hmm, I had a feeling this would come up again. It was mentioned at least twice that he planned on killing those gods if they ever showed up again.

Razorfloss and Darko like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Either he just wants them to show that they are submitting to him and his ways by mutilating members of their society.

On another more worrying note there is the possibility that the eyeball thing may not just be some kind of fetish this thing has, but he may actually need them to give him the eyeballs.

Like say for example he is magically empowered by them cutting out the eyeballs of the womenfolk so that he can fight something much worse, bu if that is the case then OL will probably also kill that thing, assuming it is hostile to the population and not just to the eyeball god.

17. Queshire

An actual Cthulu style being wouldn't care. One of the whole points of the Cthulu mythos is to basically go, "What, you think humans are actually worth anything? Ha! Get over yourself."

I mean, if there was a bunch of ants worshipping a human, well, the human probably wouldn't notice first off and thus wouldn't notice if the ants broke some agreement.

Xmaster3000, Vorian, WargWolf and 7 others like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I'll change it then, thank you.

19. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Making the rounds.

The thrill of seeing my plans effected prevents me from maintaining a flat affect.

20. The Vale

The Vale Know what you're doing yet?

That's a very jarring shift. Feels like there is a missing snippet for the lead in..

True Ninja and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I love how Paul just says it's not his problem. He said it before with Aqualad, and he is sticking with it.

I hope the Tillettit thing is just handled offscreen so that we can see how little of a threat the thing was. I also bet that this might make the locals like/revere Paul a little more if he can lead a team to kill what might be their God or Devil. Probably won't make the people from that planet stop calling him "Lord". The Atlantean thing however might make things difficult with his Atlantean friends, assuming he doesn't find a solution that everyone can find tolerable.

22. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Can you give me a link, please? I seem to remember she okayed it for use.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I am talking about the Cthulu style beings in DC comics.

24. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Wait, did my guess get ninja'd?

25. Queshire

Gee, then at least have the decency to get the terminology right. They're Icthultu style beings.

Naturally, since Cthulu was never copyrighted and yet they went with that instead then the distinction is important.

Vorian, WargWolf, BoML and 7 others like this.
  26. Greydragon

Greydragon Making the rounds.

Interesting, I wonder if this is a chicken and egg type situation? The priesthood justifies mutilating their females by the decree of this god-like being, or that the long term belief of the ordinary people in there being a reason for the mutilation created their demon-god? Because the latter? That's all the reason necessary to end the tradition violently.

Vorian, Jaron and Darko like this.
  27. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Something that still bothers me about how OL handled that situation with the eyeball cutters. He has recruited and allied himself with people who are far, far worse than any individual priest from that religion, except for maybe some of the people in the higher echelons of the religion. And yet he helped wholesale slaughter them down to even the lowliest acolyte.

Don't get me wrong, that practice needed to fucking stop, the vast majority of the priests probably deserved to be slaughtered, and I can see OL stopping it even if he wasn't getting anything out of it, but it really does seem like he went with the more extreme and violent way so he could get more recruits.

It's specifically the "down to the lowliest acolyte" or however it was described before. Every single member, no matter how new or whether they were pushed into it by family or some other kind of factor even if they hadn't done anything yet, deserved to be slaughtered? OL has aided and allied himself with people who have, individually, done far, far worse things than any one priest could have possible done. Not worse than the religion as a whole, and obviously the religion needed to fucking be stomped out, but this still feels weird to me in how it was handled.

We weren't given enough information on the species and the religion for me to be comfortable saying that wholesale slaughter was warranted. It may very well have been warranted, but it just seems weird based on OL's usual way of doing things.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

A good solution to this would be making Cyprian King of Venturia, but having the place continue being an Atlantean state.

Good point.

Zoat did say that with enough belief people can create an Old God, or at least a powerful mystic entity, so the collective belief of an entire continent, plus the eyeball sacrifices and the fact the planet is mystically active could lead to them making a god that previously just existed in their mythology.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

OL isn't exactly a rational person all the time.

His enlightenment does make him a bit focused on certain emotions more than others.

He recruited the likes of Kalmin because he needed someone who could make rings if he couldn't with the Controllers.

If he didn't need Kalmin he would have probably killed him to deprive the Qwardians of a skilled Weaponer and one that can make power rings.

He also got two new recruits from that planet, one of the women and her daughter.

He may have found it difficult to stop them from killing the priesthood if they wanted to.

Remember he wanted to get their loyalty and service in the OLC so he let them kill the priests thinking that if the victims of his new recruits slaughter are priests that cripple their people then they can go hang.

The priests, unlike Kalmin, also didn't help him in any way.

The religion was also apparently an important part of their society so even if they left just one priest alive they could potentially convince people to continue their practices.

Ngamer11, Vorian, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  30. Viterbi

Viterbi Not too sore, are you?

The thing about the covenant: As far as I can tell, the priests got absolutely jack shit out of their end of the bargain. I'm sure they thought they were getting something. Whatever it was, even without subscribing to ethics that demand you Walk Away From Omelas, it could not possibly have been worth what they did. The simple fact that OL could wipe out their entire civilization with a single decision demonstrated that. Morally and ethically, the overwhelming majority of frameworks say that the covenant was wrong and OL was right to tear it down. Practically, it was a shitty, shitty covenant and the fact that it died so horribly was a simple consequence of its shittasticness.

Ngamer11, Chirox, Vorian and 12 others like this.
  31. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

From the Story Only: 'Rapprochement'. It's a small throwaway line.
    In the early chapters of 'Hoard', OL teleports from Maltus to Earth with Hinon. She checks him over for 'Avarice overspill' that he was concerned about thanks to Boss Smiley's manipulation. As far as I could tell, that's what she was okaying. In fact, she seems a little concerned on exit... My best efforts can't find anything else...

Huh, serves me right for not looking back far enough. I'll edit it. Sorry, SirKaid...